Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-01-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23

Questions On Converting DSD files to PCM with Korg Audiogate

In using Korg Audiogate to convert to PCM, whether 192-24, 176-24, 96-24 or 88-24, Korgi

Audiogate is real easy to use, but has some filter settings that I haven't tried or really understand. I downloaded a few DSD files from BlueCoastRecords.com and it was easy to use Korg Audiogate to convert to PCM.

I note at HDTracks that it seems that they some albums there that are likely converted from SACD, and seems they are usually converted to 88-24..

an anyone educate me on using Korg Audiogate, which PCM (192-24, 176-24, 96-24 or 88-24) to convert to, what the filter settings are and if and how I might use them if appropriate. Thanks.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I know you have been doing these conversions for months now and you are likely finished or very close to it,

But since you have not had any responses to these questions, and you had not mentioned whether or not you had figured it out,

or if you'd found the answers anywhere, I'd like to pass this along to you just in case it might still be of some help.

"2.8MHz->176.4/192kHz Outband Filter

Sets the additional filter for the conversion from 1bit/2.8MHz songs to 176.4kHz or 192kHz PCM files,

- Sharp Roll-off: Applies a low-pass filter with sharp roll-off (-3dB@42kHz).

- Soft Roll-off: Applies a low-pass filter with soft roll-off (-3dB@50kHz).

- Off: The additional filter will not be applied."

I found a small manual on the operation of the Korg AudioGate converter located at this link,

http://www.korg.com/uploads/Support/AudioGate_Users_Guide_633656437683410000.pdf

I think I might be doing the same thing myself, so perhaps you wouldn't mind mentioning how the overall project turned out.

I may very well give up on using the Mac-Mini as a Music Server (although I have been rather happy with it's performance) and take a route similar to the one

you've taken.

Since the current Mini cannot output more then 96Khz to my Gen. VIII, and I would like to take full advantage of the Gen. VIII's potential, it may be time for me

to retire the Mini from this duty.

Of course, I will understand if you're not quite ready to get back on the AVS horse yet after your recent tragedy.

Again, my deepest sympathies to you Steve.

TURN IT UP!
post #3 of 3 Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Marc,

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Just don't have much time these days for either AVS or for my trial lawyer listserve, as family and daughters come first, and its hard to have "fun" since my wife passed away. But I will post a bit from time to time.

I have found that converting the DSD files using Korg Audiogate with the settings soft roll off, Aqua Dither (which "mimics" human hearing) and normalizing the entire album sounds - phenomenal, at 176-24 resolution.

Still working on some additional conversions - obviously not a priority now.

In the future, i will tell you how my conversions sound compared to some HDTracks, etc. Patience please on this.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page