Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi all,

Noodling on my options - really thinking Anthem D2V, OR getting an Oppo 95 to do the audio codecs, and plug it into a Meridian 861 V4 with room correction.

Am I completely missing something here?

Stieger

We Make Home Theater A Reality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

Hi all,

Noodling on my options - really thinking Anthem D2V, OR getting an Oppo 95 to do the audio codecs, and plug it into a Meridian 861 V4 with room correction.

Am I completely missing something here?

Stieger

I use to own a Meridian 861V4 and note that you will still need a Meridian HD621 because without the HD 621 there is no way to get either a DDTHD or a dts-MA HD signal into the Meridian 861V4 because there are no HDMI connection on the 861V4.

I hope that helps.

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! Do you now use the ADA rhapsody IV?

Seems like Meridian shot themselves in the foot when they went to two boxes...

Best,

Stieger

Old 06-03-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Not really. The HD621 is a switcher allowing 6 inputs to be used. Would have been physically difficult to add all this into the 861. Also keeping it outside the 861 stops HDMI circuitry noise polluting the 861 circuitry. Plenty of reviews around of how good the 621/861 sounds...

And yes, I use them

Cheers,

Mark

My cinema: The Cave!

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

Old 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! Do you now use the ADA rhapsody IV?

Best,

Stieger

Yes, I do now have an ADA Rhapsody MACH IV B and am very pleased with it...I do not think that Meridian shot themselves in the foot with the two box approach but rather they shot themselves in the foot -- and this is my personal view -- the cost of moving from the V4.25 [which I had] to the V6...to me, I bought into the 861 at a steep price because it was suppose to be modular but when the V6 came out it necessitated a unit replacement -- which I had no issues with as I understand that things move on -- but to me [again this is my opinion] they did not give sufficient credit to already large investment in my relatively new v4.25...

After having being similarly disappointed in the Lexicon MC-1 to MC12B upgrade pricing [on a less that 1 year old MC-1], lost my shirt on my TMA AVR-192R when they went bust and now this Meridian fiasco I opted to try a less costly pre/pro and am very pleased with its performance noting I am 95% home theatre and 5% music...

And, to be perfectly fair, I should also note that I have also added two QSC 922uz DSP units in the audio chain as calibrated by Dennis Erskine to maximize performance...

I hope this helps and no, I do not miss my 861 V4.25

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

Yes, I do now have an ADA Rhapsody MACH IV B and am very pleased with it...I do not think that Meridian shot themselves in the foot with the two box approach but rather they shot themselves in the foot -- and this is my personal view -- the cost of moving from the V4.25 [which I had] to the V6...to me, I bought into the 861 at a steep price because it was suppose to be modular but when the V6 came out it necessitated a unit replacement -- which I had no issues with as I understand that things move on -- but to me [again this is my opinion] they did not give sufficient credit to already large investment in my relatively new v4.25...

Have to agree with this. I also wasn't prepared to pay for the upgrade, so stuck with the v4. To be honest the v6 had nothing I needed, so it wasn't a difficult decision to stick with where I was.

My cinema: The Cave!

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post

Have to agree with this. I also wasn't prepared to pay for the upgrade, so stuck with the v4. To be honest the v6 had nothing I needed, so it wasn't a difficult decision to stick with where I was.

While the feature set didn't really change from the v4 to the v6, the sonics are materially improved -- admittedly at a very steep price of entry

The v6 + 621 + Oppo offers terrific performance
Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interesting info. So, are you using the V4 and 621 with an Oppo or something that is processing the HD codecs? Just curious if this is a "good" option, or a dead end - although it seems the DVD players seem to carry the processing these days and do a good job

Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 PM

Steiger- did you not have the same question and conversation in 2010?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19157511

If you want a one box solution (audio+video proc) you are asking questions in the wrong thread and forum You can check out Anthem D2V and Integra 80.3 in the processor thread.

Regards,
Kishore
Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

awesome. I unfortunately never received any of the updates to that thread, and believed no one had responded. Anyway, my questions are answered in that thread - touche'!

Best,

Stieger

Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

For what it's worth, I had the D2 in my rig for awhile, and I prefer the Meridian G68/HD621 combo...