LJG
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Hi Lon these speakers can be ordered vertical for lcr functionality, it is not a matter of just flipping them sideways I want the tweeter center aligned to the woofer.

Peter:

I am sorry but I still don't get it, wouldn't the tweeter still be center aligned to the woofer if you flipped a horizontal speaker vertical or a vertical speaker horizontal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 12-17-2013, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Peter:

I am sorry but I still don't get it, wouldn't the tweeter still be center aligned to the woofer if you flipped a horizontal speaker vertical or a vertical speaker horizontal?

Yes, the tweeter would remain center aligned as you suggest,  but it's dispersion pattern is dependent on orientation.  Notice in the pic the ribbon runs vertically-  that would be the ideal orientation,  thus providing better side to side dispersion, with more limited vertical dispersion.  Accordingly, this speaker requires horizontal placement for best ribbon dispersion.  Rotating this cabinet vertically would collapse the tweeter's side to side dispersion as frequency rises.  The LT-10 may be specified for horizontal or vertical orientation, the change being the ribbon alignment. 

Cheers,

Trinnov Audio
USA

post #93 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

I think you could also timbre match dissimilar heights to the mains especially within the same speaker family? Does the Trinnov offer full independent EQ of each speaker output?

This may be a non starter for me unless I can come up with another solution. I don't believe Quested has anything the sized of a LT-8 that will give the output needed. From the screen to my prime seat is about16-18 ft (5-6 meters). I know Lon had trouble matching the ribbons to his speakers. Hmm...

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #94 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

What is actually changed in the Quested speaker to orient it for horizontal vs vertical placement? The LT8's will be sent tomorrow to Curt for evaluation.

Quote:

Hi Lon these speakers can be ordered vertical for lcr functionality, it is not a matter of just flipping them sideways I want the tweeter center aligned to the woofer.

I understood that the baffle board the AMT is mounted on unscrews and rotates to accommodate horizontal - vertical alignment.  This would position the AMT to the side of the woofer for vertical alignment but the left and right could be mirror imaged; not so bad.

So Peter, you're saying you can custom order the AMT mounted on the same axis as the woofer cone for vertical alignment?  If this is the case, what happens to the port placement; two smaller ports?

post #95 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Jeff, If you find any dimensions that need massaging to fit your setup pass it on and I'll send it up the pole. Roger is very quick at customizing these boxes.

In response to B Curry:

I believe so unless he makes the cabinet taller. But for LCR I think the AMT needs to be aligned with the woofer.

Actually Roger did a custom design for me of a new LT-18 LCR using the big bad 18 Volts that I think my have a leg up on the lt-20 and again the drivers are vertically aligned.

I am thinking of replacing the LCR at SKOLL which currently have 2215 pro with these then use LT-10s for the heights.

post #96 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

This may be a non starter for me unless I can come up with another solution. I don't believe Quested has anything the sized of a LT-8 that will give the output needed. From the screen to my prime seat is about16-18 ft (5-6 meters). I know Lon had trouble matching the ribbons to his speakers. Hmm...

Jeff you might want to take a look at these:  http://www.adam-audio.com/en/installation/products

The GTC 55 is about the same size as the LT-8 and has an AMT tweeter.  The GTC 88 is very similar to the LT-10 in spec'd SPL and sensitivity.  Of course you don't get Roger Questeds pedigree but the components appear to be of similar quality.  The AMT units in the all GTC's can be reconfigured for vertical or horizontal placement.

post #97 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Crap, I don't even know if I have the room t for 5 LT10s up front! I'm going to test the LT8s behind the screen and see how they come up. I was planning on LT10s for LCRs but my space is very limited up high behind the screen as the ceiling slopes downward and there is a lot of baffle wall bracing up high (and low).... We'll see!

I am asking now for a low profile lt-10 horizontal using two woofers. let you know what transpires.
post #98 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 06:46 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Jeff:

If you are replacing all your speakers with Quested the Timbre matching should not present a problem. Bottom line for me was the Aerials sounded very different then the LT8's even after equilization and the Trinnov full calibration, and this was on axis in the sweet spot.
post #99 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff, If you find any dimensions that need massaging to fit your setup pass it on and I'll send it up the pole. Roger is very quick at customizing these boxes.

In response to B Curry:

I believe so unless he makes the cabinet taller. But for LCR I think the AMT needs to be aligned with the woofer.

Actually Roger did a custom design for me of a new LT-18 LCR using the big bad 18 Volts that I think my have a leg up on the lt-20 and again the drivers are vertically aligned.

I am thinking of replacing the LCR at SKOLL which currently have 2215 pro with these then use LT-10s for the heights.

Thanks Peter, very cool...

I see the benefit of time alignment, maybe not so much for absolute alignment to the woofer cone.  As you pointed out the LT-20 sort of shoots a hole in the idea and maybe that's why the LT-18 gets a leg up.  It's really great that Roger is so responsive to customizing the boxes.

My experience with AMT's have been mostly dipole arrangements which present a different sort of problem.

For me the the mention of an AMT driver brings to mind the ESS marketing phrase "Sound as clear as light"; an elegant and ubiquitous statement as to what an AMT driver can do for the enjoyment of audio.  I hope someday to have the good fortune to see one of your projects with the Quested units.  Thanks for the info Peter and keep posting your progress.

post #100 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Peter,

I'd like an LT-8 / LT-8 Surround sized box with an LT-10 'air motion' tweeter'. Depth and height are critical.

Possible?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #101 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It was already in the works 2 x 5's and a amt, that means depth and height WILL BE MUCH LESS. I've requested drawing, maybe tomorrow.
post #102 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

It was already in the works 2 x 5's and a amt, that means depth and height WILL BE MUCH LESS. I've requested drawing, maybe tomorrow.

Please excuse my ignorance, but do you suppose that Quested could offer a smaller 3-way active unit? Like a miniature LT-20 type of thing?

Cheers,

Sean
post #103 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Perfect. The last hurdle.

post #104 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraalphahotel View Post

Please excuse my ignorance, but do you suppose that Quested could offer a smaller 3-way active unit? Like a miniature LT-20 type of thing?

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean,YES YES! In fact to go out the door January it has to be active, passive will take longer to develop proper x-over which he is finicky about getting to sound right.
post #105 of 115 Old 12-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi Sean,YES YES! In fact to go out the door January it has to be active, passive will take longer to develop proper x-over which he is finicky about getting to sound right.

Wow, that's exciting news! Thanks, Peter!
post #106 of 115 Old 12-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Jeff:

If you are replacing all your speakers with Quested the Timbre matching should not present a problem. Bottom line for me was the Aerials sounded very different then the LT8's even after equilization and the Trinnov full calibration, and this was on axis in the sweet spot.

Failure to timbre match via EQ would indicate different off axis radiation patterns (directivity) between the two speakers.

EQ can only go so far, and if you are EQing then what do you EQing...the on axis? the early reflections? the late reflections? You only have one EQ control and it applies to all angles of speaker radiation.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #107 of 115 Old 12-26-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Peter, would the one you speak of above be in addition to the LT24?

Also Peter, I believe the  LT10 is using a Volt woofer; do you know, is it using a Beyma AMT unit?

post #108 of 115 Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, although I have been asked not to post details. Not sure about woofer but yes to AMT.
post #109 of 115 Old 01-05-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, although I have been asked not to post details. Not sure about woofer but yes to AMT.

Thank you Peter.  Looking forward to the details when they become available.

post #110 of 115 Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do the Quested Amplifier Sound? Which ones would you recommend for the LT20s?

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
post #111 of 115 Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hi Basfeen,

They sound great better than more fuller sounding than Bryston, Ada, warm but very fast. Perhaps better than the ML we used at Prometheus. They do have a fan that kicks in so your rack has to be isolated.

Norman here compared them to tubes. They are made by a company pro company Mc2 that has excellent pedigree. Only amp that I am familiar is way more expensive: D'agostino. smile.gif

This is the rack as we did it:

the lt-20's used the ap-950 for mids and highs and the ap-2800-4 for the bass and sub bass.

post #112 of 115 Old 01-16-2014, 09:02 PM

I am familiar with MC2 Amplifier I picked up there older MC1250 over 2 years ago but never really played around with it just left it in the store room till over a month ago when I compared them to the ATI amplifiers.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
post #113 of 115 Old 01-19-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Perhaps I have missed it, but does Quested publish measurement data for the speakers? importantly radiation and off axis?

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #114 of 115 Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:

Hi Basfeen,

They sound great better than more fuller sounding than Bryston, Ada, warm but very fast. Perhaps better than the ML we used at Prometheus. They do have a fan that kicks in so your rack has to be isolated.

Norman here compared them to tubes. They are made by a company pro company Mc2 that has excellent pedigree. Only amp that I am familiar is way more expensive: D'agostino. smile.gif

This is the rack as we did it:

the lt-20's used the ap-950 for mids and highs and the ap-2800-4 for the bass and sub bass.

Would a Single AP1550 be sufficient for a Single LT20 using one channel for the Lower Bass and the second channel to power up the Mids and Tweeter? Essentially using 3 Dedicated amps for the Front LCR?

post #115 of 115 Old 01-23-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

HI Bassfeen,

I believe so as there is a mid high passive crossover option that we were considering.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page