The Official Quested LT Series Thread - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #181 of 230 Old 11-18-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
That made my day!!!@@@

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 230 Old 11-24-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
The Z8 looks nice. Very good dimensions for surrounds. Can the AMT version be used for ceiling mount with 1 or 2 rows if they are angled toward the seating area or with Atmos, do we need to stick to a strict 90° dispersion?

http://dci-forum.com/index.php?topic=240.0
They are designed for ceiling and can be angled for two rows, but because of power and throw they can also be LCR's, you could design an entire atmos system with these.

The price for the AMT version is...THIS. The coaxial will probably be passive price still TBD
post #183 of 230 Old 11-28-2014, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I do really love this new designed QUESTED , it generate very deep and clean bass !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5044.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	389482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5047.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	389490  
post #184 of 230 Old 11-28-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What model sub is this?
post #185 of 230 Old 11-29-2014, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by miliotov View Post
What model sub is this?
The new designed come with 4 ports and low profile but model still remain QSB-118 , Roger said it much better perform than previous unit.
post #186 of 230 Old 12-08-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
post #187 of 230 Old 12-09-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well I've just spent the day with Guy from Quested and Neil from Genesis playing with some Quested goodies and I'm pretty blown away.
So far we've run the Lt8's on 10" subs and then the tiny LT24 again with the 10" subs
And wow I'm very impressed very dynamic and very clean high frequency,
Adel live at the Royal Albert Hall was something els.
post #188 of 230 Old 12-09-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #189 of 230 Old 12-10-2014, 10:30 AM

Yes, these are one stunning speaker without the crazy cost. We are about to start a 7.2 install with the tiny LT24 and boy does this punch above its weight
My customer sat through a demo of a LT24 front end with 2 quested 10" subs and left with an ear splitting grin on his face, well that's good enough for me.
;-)

Last edited by abone; 12-10-2014 at 10:33 AM.
post #190 of 230 Old 01-19-2015, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently planning a new install and I'd be interested in some feedback on current and any expected quested speakers and amplifiers and optimum space requirements etc. I've read news here of the z8 which isn't mentioned anywhere else. List prices would be useful if allowed too to give me an idea re budgets too.
post #191 of 230 Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We are currently conceptualizing the First Atmos dubbing Stage using the Quested Z16 and z8's, as well as using their Q-118 subs front and the Zubs paired for 2 rear bass management channels.

Speaker positioning is crucial if you want a highly intimate (space invading) immersive experience, this is counterintuitive to the first published speaker implementation home atmos quidelines.

We have disclosed and discussed our objective and our objections to the first draft with dolby in the case of projection based theater systems with very large screens and have gotten the green light to use the cinema speaker deployment layout in lieu. The z series will be shown with Trinnov at ISE, it uses a smaller less in your face AMT and a more robust 8 inch driver than those used in the LT series. At the moment all but the zeilings will be biamplified (1 amp with filter card). There is a higher inherent cost involved with this, and care has to be taken in the Power supply and distribution (specially if you get the amps in 120 volts), as if you attempt a 16 to 22 speaker count Home Atmos or DTSX (which is an overlay of the Auro Format + width channels) there is some very very serious loads calculation planning.

What is there to lose in making such a large speaker and amplifier investment going just by the following the printed material available?
What was clearly shown all over CEDIA where 80% of sound that in Dolby own Atmos theater images a metre away from your head was depicted circumflying about the walls of the demo room 5 meters away, instead.
Had I had not heard the Gravity premiere where I did, none would have noticed this phenomenon, which is to logic De rigueur...

To Reiterate: The separation distances and speaker positioning resulting from the initially published Home Atmos guidelines may preclude (as shown in three different cedia demos) the enjoyment of "near-miss your head" audio object pirouettes (as in Gravity Houston Houston scene and Atmos demo bluray), further to hedge bets about future DTSX inroads into the Blu ray disc mix penetration very serious consideration has to be given to the ceiling arrays and side heights. We pretty much have figured the first 80% on how to not get this wrong.The only way to do this is through focused enlightened experimentation, precisely our central focus until we can get HDR 4k projection systems with decent lensing.

SO WHY AM I Talking about Atmos and Dtsx on a Quested thread? Because it is a serious psychoacoustical next step for home theater and while speaker layouts/counts, amplifier quality and spatial resolution are main goals, it would be completely imprudent not to throw in the most articulate fatigue free high spl natural sound possible along the way. Nothing gets in the way of personally space invasive sound than harshness and fatigue, if we were able to listen for weeks to the 20.10.2 mega-system Albiorix at peaks of 130+ decibels and come out as refreshed and relaxed as if we had spent that time in a spa, then the more balanced system of the Z's should be even more therapeutic.

Yes, the Z series looks like could be be a step towards a more cohesive soundfield integration between the mains and surrounds as compared to the LT series where the LT amt's can be super overpowering to the lt-8's and 24's ribbons, at least that is the plan, hence Roger and I decided that for a 40 foot by 27 foot by 16 foot dubbing stage the z series would be best. And also with all speaks pointed at the Neve mixing console position.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 01-21-2015 at 05:36 AM.
post #192 of 230 Old 01-20-2015, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I believe that if you do not design your Atmos system optimized for the maximum "move your head out of the way 3d soundfield wow factor" as in Dolby's own Atmos development Cinema, you are just propagating mediocrity for posterity, the Gravity disc and the atmos demo disc should be your primary tools for this spce invasion analysis, however it will be good to hear the Quested demo with the Trinnov altitude, as the ceiling height rows inter-distance remapping feature may come in handy in case the DTSX format takes traction in the next year.

Hate to tell you but if you want this space invasion to be head tracking accurate you are going to need more speaker channels, it is in this regard that the high value/performance/clarity of the lt-8/24's makes the larger speaker count more achievable financially whilst giving you 97% of the Z series fatigue free goodness, so if the choice is 12 channels of amt based speakers versus 16 to 22 channels of the lt-8/24 's ribbons, the later would be my recommendation.

This is another advantage of the Trinnov were you can start with 16 channels and add more channel speakers as you can afford it when you realize the validity of the more speakers is best for resolution tracking accuracy corollary.

Atmos Room treatments is one area where cinema design has taken a 180 degree turn, yet for home no one leads the way, we are reverse engineering these latest room treatment methods to develop best practices in this regard for the smaller venues. Here is the cinerama in seattle rear giant BAD Panels.

Randomly partial open diffusers float in front of the black curtains over fiberglass...

Taker who is building the Aegir cinema is pretty well attuned to my likes and dislikes, he said the 6p HFR video was fantastic in the Hobbit BO5A, the audio he mistook for regular QSC fare (incidentally I found in Skoll pro audio tech and QSC have many commonalities), for sounding horn harsh. This was Meyers chance to put their best foot forward and use the galileo to detune the throat distortion, am afraid that the handwriting is on the wall for Cinema Sound but it will take a while to design AMT surround speakers with the desired wide angle vertical spread, for now Dubbing Stages where all speaks are aimed at the console kill zone are a perfect candidate, and in doing so will greatly contribute to the day to day audio comfort of the soundmakers and content creators.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 01-21-2015 at 06:08 AM.
post #193 of 230 Old 01-21-2015, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #194 of 230 Old 01-23-2015, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #195 of 230 Old 01-23-2015, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Cool Lets start pointing our speakers

FROM A ROOM SIZING/PLANNING STANDPOINT:
WE NEED MORE REAL ESTATE.

ALL ATMOS SOUNDSTAGES POINT THE SPEAKERS AT THE "NEVE / HARRIS CONSOLE" MLP in x, y and z axi.

I have been the first to design without such tilting in mind due to the homes room size limitations, it would be prudent to start emulating the soundstages...

It is just bad practice not to do so, spewing wasted soundwaves unto parts of the room not utilised will only hamper the overall sound quality plus it permits utilization of more articulate less fatiguing clearer whilst louder playing speaker types . I for one stand corrected on my original home atmos conceptual.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ae-th901 (2).jpg
Views:	546
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	497546  

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 01-23-2015 at 11:42 AM.
post #197 of 230 Old 01-26-2015, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The Z series is great but it has quite a bit of tri-biamplification involved, i want my channels for speaker channels first but in finding a balance more affordable I did have a very interesting discussion with Roger regarding 16 channel-capped based immersive audio systems such as available from Datasat Trinnov and Theta V, he confirmed that unless some atmos mix does not place some super loud explosions in the surround channels [ I fully empathize with the sound-designers itchy trigger finger to do so, but the Theater association would complain about more blown speakers-so i suggest a non issue], that a combination of Z8's for fronts and widths with lt-8's/lt-24's for height front and surrounds (and or zeilings where applicable) will make for an excellent system capable of undistorted ref plus 10 playback.

I will be designing such a system, THE ENTRY LEVEL zero fatigue @REF +10 imaging in close personal space invasion mode, Neptune moon : NESO.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 01-26-2015 at 09:03 PM.
post #198 of 230 Old 01-27-2015, 02:30 AM

We are about to start fitting 7, LT24's and 2, x12 subs in an install in the UK.
I'm quite excited to find out how well this sounds because all the early testing was very positive.
The LT24 are a very solidly built speaker with great power handling and will run all day at quite high SPL, we all sat in amazement at how well they sounded for such a small speaker, these little bad boys are more than ideal for the smaller room sizes we have over this side of the pond.
:-)
post #199 of 230 Old 01-27-2015, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abone View Post
We are about to start fitting 7, LT24's and 2, x12 subs in an install in the UK.
I'm quite excited to find out how well this sounds because all the early testing was very positive.
The LT24 are a very solidly built speaker with great power handling and will run all day at quite high SPL, we all sat in amazement at how well they sounded for such a small speaker, these little bad boys are more than ideal for the smaller room sizes we have over this side of the pond.
:-)
Because of the mtm Brett Crocket and his lab rats commented that for height channel the lt-24's (and proposed LT2-8) may have too narrow a dispersion, unless you have a tight kill zone MLP.

Like Triton. And with the height rows tightly packed as in cinema and not first draft of home guidelines....

I like the controlled directivity vertically myself to keep sound from non pertinent room boundaries, but when used horizontally watch your angles....Curt had made the same point 9 months before....

post #200 of 230 Old 01-27-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I have the smallest kill zone. Center two seats in middle row.
Personally, I wonder how many members here are worried about the other 8 or 10 seats in their theater where guests who could careless se getting a little less height info?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #201 of 230 Old 01-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I have the smallest kill zone. Center two seats in middle row.
Personally, I wonder how many members here are worried about the other 8 or 10 seats in their theater where guests who could careless se getting a little less height info?
I only have 2 seats... Thats not down to size constraints just moreover I like to only have one other person with me when watching a film and that's usually the Mrs..
post #202 of 230 Old 01-29-2015, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Aegir wiring going on

No laser projector, Barco 4k best option for the next 1.5 years until Dolby Vision HDR projectors....[I know I know -Sue me - the z8 are shown upside down]

Channel count is trough the roof with tri and bi amp 40 ampere 240 load worth. Hopefully equitech balanced power donuts can be used....

there are 6 subs using the 18 inch volt woofer we had implemented in bespoke fashion at Albiorix, now it is THE standard 18 incher used by quested.....

Even though the z16 is triamped with a bridged 950w going to the woofers this is handled in a bi-wiring fashion.see jackpack on right side of speaker

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	right side pack z16.PNG
Views:	384
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	516129  

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 02-04-2015 at 05:14 AM.
post #203 of 230 Old 02-04-2015, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

here is the speaker wire screen elevation template for Aegir

Here is the aegir screen elevation.

This relaxed array of the Atmos width and height guidelines (center height is for other formats) is fully sanctioned as per our PREMIER HOME ATMOS proposed Concept.

During that meeting and also as the 5th peace dividend from EUROPA CARTE BLANCHE Jupiter moon development project.... The Genesis of the z112.

Struck down were D'APPOLITO HORIZONTAL SPEAKERS; ARE FORBIDDEN IN THE XY AXIS, but not the necessarily the ceiling Z. Ideally any speaker behind the screen ( and yes there is an Atmos screen that permits the widths and the heights to be as far apart and as high as possible masking bottom up- concept to come)

Z112
I have also conceived and had development discussion on a high power (wilst musically accurate) z series speaker that is both Point Source and Low Profile 14 inches high 355mm

The Atmos Brass (and Curt) will loooove this one...... Sorry MEG for borrowing your basic design superiority.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 02-04-2015 at 05:13 AM.
post #204 of 230 Old 02-04-2015, 04:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 240
A system of excess!! I love it!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #205 of 230 Old 02-04-2015, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Drumroll for the Atmos DTSX PREMIER NIRVANA package.....

It's not only the EUROPA BESPOKE coaxial amt speakers! The CURVED screen masks with CURVED masking from native 2.0 to 2.4 [from the bottom up!!!! in stealth mode], the heights are as high as possible, the widths are as wide as possible, this is the CINERAMAX wall to ceiling Atmos screen.

For amplification each speaker gets what originally was to be the tri-channel EUROPA BESPOKE AMPS based on the D'agostino Momentum, one of these:

2 channels 500 bridged for woofer one 500 channel AMT.

I don't call this rig the PREMIER NIRVANA for nothing!!!
Elill likes this.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 02-04-2015 at 06:04 AM.
post #206 of 230 Old 02-04-2015, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
post #207 of 230 Old 02-05-2015, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

z112 may not end up being as butch looking...

Turns out the 12 inch volt woofer though the handsomest and one available with a decadent monster magnet has only a 3" voice coil.

So the end product of this experimental coaxial, don't ask quested about it at ISE cause they will not discuss until z16 dispersion specs are fully understood and cost benefit analysis is made.

But the z112 would not have the metal spoke wheels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	big magnet.PNG
Views:	39
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	527865  
post #208 of 230 Old 02-05-2015, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
post #209 of 230 Old 02-09-2015, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Turns out the 12 inch volt woofer though the handsomest and one available with a decadent monster magnet has only a 3" voice coil.

So the end product of this experimental coaxial, don't ask quested about it at ISE cause they will not discuss until z16 dispersion specs are fully understood and cost benefit analysis is made.

But the z112 would not have the metal spoke wheels.
How about this bad boy near point source z112 conceptual...

Ditched in simplification of Triton to v. 2.0, look for a bigger unit in Proteus to come.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 02-12-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page