The Official Quested LT Series Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 115 Old 06-24-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 40
As many will know I have been on a Quest to recreate the ultimate Holosonic experience without fatigue and at high spl levels. While for a decade i traded in B&W, Meridian, McIntosh and everything else in between fro Dynaudio Esotar based systems, these proved to be reliable workhorses in the era of compressed soundtracks. The appearance of uncompressed audio formats forced me to look lesewhere in order to stop blowing mid and high drivers.: )

After the experiment at our CEDIA 2009 3D Stadium with the CINEPRO horns, I ventured into the high spl horns with the System Skoll Pro audio tech. While we were able to release the Kraken equally as scarily as in the CEDIA event, I am still missing clarity during such high spl peaks.

Much like I told Tom Hollman during his Official introduction to THX to a group of CEDIA pre organizers in June 1990 CES, during a demonstration in a great chicago movie theater, the one in between the Hyatt and Marshall fields, it has a corkscrew parking lot that is lots of fun. While after the presentation during an unusually sycophant Q and A session, i stood up and opined on the sizzlingness of the sound:" I dunno but it sounds to me like someone is frying eggs behind the screen"- the guy had a fit as if I had torpedoed his luxury liner.

Well I don't want to hear eggs being fried behind the screen and am afraid Horns just do that. I also had considered the ribbons of Steinway, to a very disappointing "the stage stays behind the screen effect".

I do like the Adams that I have heard.

Enter the best recorded soundtrack on a 3d movie. Despicable Me" Fun Fun Fun" track by Pharell W. It turns out out the sountrack for that was made on the Quested $65,000ea. 4x15 monitors, these sound amazing at 3-4 meter.

But our home cinemas are 5 to 7 meters in range.

The quested LT series guarantees the exact same accurate and uncolored sound that you get in the Hans Zimmer lab, but at the correct viewing distance. That is exciting indeed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 Old 06-24-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Attached is PDF showing the change in HF response with tweeter behind a Stewart Studitek 130 microperforated screen. The screen sample I have is from 2004, don't know if the performance has improved since then.

The distance between the tweeter and screen makes very little difference.

Please ignore the low frequency content, we had to run the measurement equipment thru a bass driver as well for it to function. The tweeter is running from 2kH upwards.

The red trace is the tweeter, the pink is the effect of the screen, the yellow with 5dB of shelving EQ.

We also measured maximum continuous SPL in an open space, the car park, a single LT20 with 2 subs will deliver 118dB at 5 Metres, 16 feet.

post #3 of 115 Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

As many will know I have been on a Quest to recreate the ultimate Holosonic experience without fatigue and at high spl levels.

I'd love to hear them properly set up.

Always a pleasure discovering emerging high output/low coloration designs. I recognize the MF/HF drive units, but the LF drives I'm not familiar with. It would be interesting measuring what, if any,.. measurable diffraction component exists due to the cabinet grill edges. Once installed, one would think the clear preference would be no grill listening.

I can appreciate your endeavor to find such reproduction, as I too have been on a similar journey. There are many differing priorities that professionals and enthusiasts utilize as their personal benchmark for what they're striving for in playback characteristics. Me, absolutely coherent dynamic realism,... absent of the typical associated colorations in both the time and frequency domain.

High SPL, high resolving power, low distortion, .... easy. What characteristics/sonic attributes do you feel result in subsequent fatigue?

Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #4 of 115 Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can anyone tell me what the LT20's go for?

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #5 of 115 Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 98
My next theater is going to have these all round, absolute perfection.

The Quested HM415

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #6 of 115 Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Prices in pounds.

http://www.prosl.com/quested.pdf

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #7 of 115 Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Actually I think it's in euros?

Nice pricings.
post #8 of 115 Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I assume the actives include the amps.....thats pretty good value.

It costs me ~A$4500 to build something similar DIY (same twetter and mid, +18"), so for a pro version, thats quite reasonable......wish there was a dealer in Sydney

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #9 of 115 Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The LT20 is a nice compact unit. Should suit even those of us with quite small rooms with mere 3 metre listening positions? If the quoted price of an active LT-20 does indeed include the amps, then it really would be great pricing (this would seem to good to be true).

Peter,

How are these for music blu-rays, say compared to an equivalent PMC set-up?

Sean
post #10 of 115 Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

No idea, but I can say I've never heard dynamics like I have from that mid/tweeter combo - not in any other speaker design. World class "transient response" is something often spoken about.

The really cool thing about these AMT is high SPL that is basically distortion free, good off axis response and "smooth". That mid is superb, but lacks < 80hz, which I assume the two 10" take care of. I'd be interested in the LT20's 40-60hz performance

I am 99% sure I use the same mid and a very similar tweeter - I am extremely pleased for music or movies.

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #11 of 115 Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

No idea, but I can say I've never heard dynamics like I have from that mid/tweeter combo - not in any other speaker design. World class "transient response" is something often spoken about.

The really cool thing about these AMT is high SPL that is basically distortion free, good off axis response and "smooth". That mid is superb, but lacks < 80hz, which I assume the two 10" take care of. I'd be interested in the LT20's 40-60hz performance

I am 99% sure I use the same mid and a very similar tweeter - I am extremely pleased for music or movies.

Hi Peter,

My question was for Peter a.k.a Cineramax, but your input is very welcome smile.gif. I have been mulling over some PMC IB2i coupled with Bryston 300w Powerpac amps lately, but these Quested are very interesting indeed, especially their active capabilities. I'm looking forward to hearing more reports.

Cheers,

Sean
post #12 of 115 Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL, I thought that might have been the case.

I am a HUGE fan of that mid and AMTs - done properly they far surpass any compression driver out there (and I've heard most of them now). I dont have any of the measurements handy, but what I could do DIY with them is outstanding......I've been wanting to see a commercial application like this for 3-4 years now

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #13 of 115 Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hi All,

I will report in 5-6 weeks when we start commissioning the ALBIORIX moon atop this building.

post #14 of 115 Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Peter,
Do you have some place where we can see a gallery of some of your finished theaters ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #15 of 115 Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Peter,
Do you have some place where we can see a gallery of some of your finished theaters ?

Art

There are a few pictures here http://cineramax.com/projects/

Sean
post #16 of 115 Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hi Art,

This new website is just under construction, no content per se. But you have seen the projects here over the years.

Helene in 2008, prometheus in 2009-10, pandora in 2011, Skoll in 2012. I don't do too many since i will never repeat a technical design so these are high maintenance engineering and support intensive, reliability is due to over engineering mostly.

Stay Tuned we are working on 3 fast track projects overseas.

A new first : Air conditioned seats. Winter clothing is funny, sometimes you can sweat unnecessarily. I thought air conditioned seating was a necessity in the virgin islands, it's way more in Moscow, go figure. Individual chair air conditioning puts the icing on the experience.

USA conceptual:

post #17 of 115 Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Is that a PHL mid they are using? Am curious to find out more about your DIY speakers. I've been impressed by all the AMTs I've heard.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #18 of 115 Old 03-01-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Theyre made in ESPANA. Custom tweaked for RQ.
chewie1 likes this.
post #19 of 115 Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Beyma mid and AMT?

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #20 of 115 Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

These ones because they don't require calibration I can say are the best sounding surrounds I have ever heard. Specially when fed a L&R signal, classical, gino vanneli, club music, they all sounded different very revealing imparting no coloration of their own. Could this be the Dream Atmos speaker? To be sure, I lay my reputation they are. And if I had Dolby's deep pockets I would be ripping out them 36 ugly wall mounted and ceiling mounted JBL's and replacing them with either lt8's or lt 10's, next week. They are designing a plynthed /tilted version for wall surround mount, and a pancaked rounded square version for the ceiling for me.

Above and below custom cabinet LT-20's. The facias have been treated for no light reflection from behind the screen.

The microperf is a great screen (the 5D) but tit suffers from a minor side effect. I can tell because consistently in our Albiorix install, like in the Dolby Atmos screening room in Burbank, like in the Meyers demo at Info-comm 2 years back, it has reflections behind the screen that are audible in the high mid bass and low mid mids range. In our Saturn Moon to boot an subcontractor hooked up his telephone to play Uzbequi music and turned on the ada cinema reference without first switching the linear power supply voltages, it fried the Trinnov section. So using a spare suite 7.1 from ADA, with no time delay adjustments I was able to jury rig the setup in 7.1 instead of 11.1 for client review.

I can say that with the exception of the screen issues and despite the crude improper hook up they sounded great, from a frequency response, accuracy and fidelity BETTER THAN ATMOS DOLBY ROOM's.

The client notified me after the demo that he would be commissioning 3 more cinemas from me besides Europa,he characterized the sound and the picture with one word: "cleaner" than Miami's (PRO which are horns).

We will deal with the screen issues with GIANT SONEX foam and with the Trinnov where I am hoping to be able to pull the sound out from behind the screen through calibration, (i have done that with the datasat)

Attached is the latest price list for Quested, we are a dealers so If any one wants more info feel free. I have never considered opening a store in my website but Quested has inspired me to do so, I will offer THE other WORLD's BEST ATMOS SPEAKER, Me-Gethain but Quested gets my nod as top contenders.. Anyone considering a pro audio tech should also look for this less horny solution. The future of high end home cinema will likely involve some kind of ribbon tech or coaxial multi-dome. You also have the Christie VIVE system and the Wisdom's.

The top film scoring facilities use Quested, so that is a VERY important pedigree consideration . The amps are no slouches either very open and mosfetty sounding with minimal grit.cool.gif

The fan noise is probably 18 decibels at one meter, bellow the CINERAMAX radar once the doors are closed but a consideration for most avs high enders,,,
post #21 of 115 Old 11-04-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #22 of 115 Old 11-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
What is the model number for those mains? They don't appear to physically match any of the pictures in the pdf you attached.
post #23 of 115 Old 11-05-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Those are still the drivers of the LT-20 but custom shaped to accomodate 10 giant VOLT subwoofers below.

You can tell that with the regular line that thing would never fit behind the directors choice 16 footer.
post #24 of 115 Old 11-11-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Fired up Ada and Curt ran Trinnov remotely. Big difference . The microperf artiffacts are completely gone Imaging is great , FRwise all speakers are matched. Which you can appreciate in WwZ with multiple helicopters flying in and out of the screen to and from surrounds.impressive.

Not done yet, missing lfe channel completely Quested forgot to set lfe to inject mode into 15 inch cones. Still pending that important element the combination of Trinnov quested proved to be gotmidable.

The Dolby Atmos review room needs Trinnov to eliminate the microperf reflection artifacts from which if suffers and the cp850 processor can't obviously eliminate. . Speaker sound like high quality domes way loud up until clipping point even there they do not distort but gain a tell tale low level hizziness unique to ribbons, much more pleasant than horn harshness IMO. Very impressive .
post #25 of 115 Old 11-11-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Welcome to the world of Trinnov. It's pretty crazy what it does- the improvements are pretty major but seem like they are not, there's really no signature to it, very organic.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #26 of 115 Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm assuming Quested set compressors/limiters for each speaker inside the dsps...perhaps some adjustment there will eliminate that hizziness, or maybe mitigate it.

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #27 of 115 Old 11-11-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's more zzippiness ...))) we are talking at very uncomfortable levels perhaps it was the polarity issue . I am going back now to listen.
post #28 of 115 Old 11-12-2013, 08:07 AM

Liked: 10

I can say that with the exception of the screen issues and despite the crude improper hook up they sounded great, from a frequency response, accuracy and fidelity BETTER THAN ATMOS DOLBY ROOM's.thanks for your sharing

pNEg

post #29 of 115 Old 11-17-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Something amazing has just happened. Due to Dolby Atmos I am completely refocusing my mission in life and thus I will continue my exploits in a DCI oriented venue.

I invite my friends to read more about the quested final calibration and how we licked the screen bug and other crazy **** at HERE
post #30 of 115 Old 11-17-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The story is yet to be written, Peter? '...TBC.' So, are you leaving us?
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page