For the first time in years, I'm NOT disappointed at a commercial theater!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-02-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I took my wife and children to see Brave today at a local theater (Classic Cinemas, Charlestowne 18) that featured Barco DCI projection and Datasat sound (Klipsch loudspeaker system).

I thought it was great! Yes the movie was very good (I'm a huge Pixar fan), but the video was every bit as satisfying as I'm used to in home theater (thanks to this company actually using quality projectors) and the AP20/Dirac does a stellar job in a commercial atmosphere. They really do deserve to be commended for what they have done for that venue- you really aren't at the mercy of some tin-eared technician anymore.

Levels were exceptionally balanced, FR was never fatiguing, bass was tight and well-defined without feeling bloated. I was very satisfied with my experience! I haven't said that in 15 years.

Kudos to Dusty from Datasat for closing the deal with Classic Cinemas, and Kudos to Classic Cinemas for using quality equipment properly, and caring for their patrons enough to provide a proper experience!

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If what you saw was DCP then Datasat did not really contribute to the sound quality. DCP uses uncomprerssed PCM. Datasat which use to be DTS uses CD ROMs to deliver lossy audio, with a compression of 4:1

I see you are located in IL. I highly recommend the HPS-4000 theatres for audio. The sound heard in these theatres are superior to what is heard in the sudios.

Look for IL and the Classic cinemas

http://www.hps4000.com/pages/theatres_.html
post #3 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dan, which theater (as in which #) did you go see Brave in? I'm visiting this area and think I'll check it out in person. Thanks, Paul
post #4 of 4 Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't remember the screen number- I can say that according to the Classic Cinemas website- ALL of those screens at Chalestowne Mall are Barco projectors and Datasat sound. Considering the facts that Classic Cinemas is a regional chain and a family-owned company, it's encouraging to see their commitment to updated technology.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page