best preamplifier for movies........ to match with trinnov - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
heare I am.
In the next two months (possibly in September)
I'll have to buy the pre for my new home cinema.
I already have a 7.2 klipsch thx ultra2 system,
an AT Screen Research screen 130" wide
and an AMX.
I started to think to Anthem D2v + P2+ P5
than I've recently listened to Ada Cinema Rhapsoy Mach4b+ teq 8+ Ptm 5150.
Got impressed by the teq and liked the way this system plays with my loudspeakers.

In a short time I'll listen to the Datasat RS20i
even if the lack of Prologic IIx and the dirac live instead of trinnov
(that I suppose is the best in room correction)
let me a bit concerned...

I read a lot about Theta Casablanca IIIhd
that, as I've been kindly advised, I could buy
without dac but with a digiout card to go
full digital into the Trinnov MC
(that I'd like better than TEQ because of a faster processor, digital connection and opportunity to upgrade to 12, 16 channels in the future) so that I could benefit from trinnov dacs
to get something like ADA reference (too expansive for me).
In this case I would go with a Dreadnaught III.

Well,
once bought a trinnov mc, what would you suggest to choose
between Ada cinema Rhapsody mach4b and Casablanca IIIhd
for movies (90%)... hdtv and some bluray concert?

Somebody says that Ada is preferable for movies..
Does really worth to choose Theta to be able to go
digital into the Trinnov?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifo View Post

heare I am.
In the next two months (possibly in September)
I'll have to buy the pre for my new home cinema.
I already have a 7.2 klipsch thx ultra2 system,
an AT Screen Research screen 130" wide
and an AMX.
I started to think to Anthem D2v + P2+ P5
than I've recently listened to Ada Cinema Rhapsoy Mach4b+ teq 8+ Ptm 5150.
Got impressed by the teq and liked the way this system plays with my loudspeakers.
In a short time I'll listen to the Datasat RS20i
even if the lack of Prologic IIx and the dirac live instead of trinnov
(that I suppose is the best in room correction)
let me a bit concerned...
I read a lot about Theta Casablanca IIIhd
that, as I've been kindly advised, I could buy
without dac but with a digiout card to go
full digital into the Trinnov MC
(that I'd like better than TEQ because of a faster processor, digital connection and opportunity to upgrade to 12, 16 channels in the future) so that I could benefit from trinnov dacs
to get something like ADA reference (too expansive for me).
In this case I would go with a Dreadnaught III.
Well,
once bought a trinnov mc, what would you suggest to choose
between Ada cinema Rhapsody mach4b and Casablanca IIIhd
for movies (90%)... hdtv and some bluray concert?
Somebody says that Ada is preferable for movies..
Does really worth to choose Theta to be able to go
digital into the Trinnov?

I used the Trinnov MCH with 3 sources: Marantz ud9004 (with six shooter for volume control) analog in, ADA Mach IV analog in, and modded Oppo digital in. No comparison - digital in wins hands down. I only compared concert BR and SACD, but same conclusions will hold no doubt for music. I watched one movie over the week-end with the digital signal path and dialogue was clearly superior to what I was getting before with analog intto the ADA. If the CBIII digi out is remotely as good as the Oppo digi out, this is a no brainer. With 48/24 movies you also don't have to worry about the downsampling on the digi out card that is taking place on SACD and 96/24 material. I tried to sell my CBIII in this configuration (upgrade + digi out), but ended up selling without the upgrade/card . The CBIII chassis' are selling for peanuts now. You could also get the CBIII HD listed for $8,500 now, try to sell the Xtreme card (may be tough because if new card coming out) and get a digi out card.
post #3 of 76 Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for your reply Edorr smile.gif
just for curiosity.. do you know if there are any plans
to go beyond 48/24 for movies or br concerts?

an hypothetical br movie/concert higher than 48/24 or a sacd played with Ada analog into the trinnov
would be better than the same ones restricted to 48/24 played with Casablanca III hd digitally connected to the trinnov?
In other words a fully digital domain is anyway better?
post #4 of 76 Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for your reply Edorr smile.gif
just for curiosity.. do you know if there are any plans
to go beyond 48/24 for movies or br concerts?
an hypothetical br movie/concert higher than 48/24 or a sacd played with Ada analog into the trinnov
would be better than the same ones restricted to 48/24 played with Casablanca III hd digitally connected to the trinnov?
In other words a fully digital domain is anyway better?

I have not compared A/D converted 96/24 to downsampled 96/24 digital, but first for movies I expect there to be very little if any benefit to go to 96/24. Well recorder 48/24 will give you all the information you'll ever need on a soundtrack in my estimation. Even the difference between a well recorded 48/24 concert BR and a 96/24 recording is very small in my experience, and resoluting difference are completely trumped by recording quality differences. So I don't think a movie dialogue in 96/24 going through A/D conversion will sound better than the same dialogue downsampled without A/D conversion, if anything the digital signal path will be more transparent.
post #5 of 76 Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

So I don't think a movie dialogue in 96/24 going through A/D conversion will sound better than the same dialogue downsampled without A/D conversion, if anything the digital signal path will be more transparent.

It appears that getting a Theta with a digital out card combined with a Trinnov MC is the only way to get the use of Trinnov without an ADA conversion, is that correct? If so, then this seems to be a great choice, but I don't think I've seen anyone else with this set-up.

I wonder if the ultimate set-up wold be the new Theta with Dirac connected to a Trinnov MC. Then you could have your choice of Trinnov or Dirac with no ADA conversions, and that is something that not even the new ADA Reference can do (and I think it's even cheaper than the ADA Reference). In any case, would be interesting to compare a Theta with digital out to a Trinnov MC with the ADA Reference to see if there is any difference at all.
post #6 of 76 Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipester View Post

It appears that getting a Theta with a digital out card combined with a Trinnov MC is the only way to get the use of Trinnov without an ADA conversion, is that correct? If so, then this seems to be a great choice, but I don't think I've seen anyone else with this set-up.
I wonder if the ultimate set-up wold be the new Theta with Dirac connected to a Trinnov MC. Then you could have your choice of Trinnov or Dirac with no ADA conversions, and that is something that not even the new ADA Reference can do (and I think it's even cheaper than the ADA Reference). In any case, would be interesting to compare a Theta with digital out to a Trinnov MC with the ADA Reference to see if there is any difference at all.

That would be completely redundant. You should compare Trinnov and Dirac, have your pick and go one direction. Thenagain some folks have a porsche and a ferrari in the garage for diffent days of the week.
post #7 of 76 Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

That would be completely redundant. You should compare Trinnov and Dirac, have your pick and go one direction. Thenagain some folks have a porsche and a ferrari in the garage for diffent days of the week.

Yes, I agree having both Trinnov and Dirac would be like having a porshe and a ferrari, although Trinnov does some things that Dirac doesn't, like 3D remapping. My main point was that it seems like Grifo is correct in that if he wants Trinnov with no ADA conversions, then a Theta processor with a Trinnov MC is the only way to go (other than the ADA reference). Are there any other processors that have digital out like the Theta?
post #8 of 76 Old 08-28-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I agree having both Trinnov and Dirac would be like having a porshe and a ferrari, although Trinnov does some things that Dirac doesn't, like 3D remapping. My main point was that it seems like Grifo is correct in that if he wants Trinnov with no ADA conversions, then a Theta processor with a Trinnov MC is the only way to go (other than the ADA reference). Are there any other processors that have digital out like the Theta?

Not that I am aware off. I personally would save myself a bundle and get a modded Oppo straight into a Trinnov mc8 (run the 2 subs mono). No downsampling and a lot cheaper. For less critical sources like satellite TV you would use a cheap SSP and run it into the 8 analog inputs on the mc8. The only thing missing in this setup is post processing of the surround modes beyond what the Oppo can do, and the sophisticated bass management capability of the CBIII. Bass management on the Trinnov is excellent and more than adequate though. The Oppo and SSP would take up all your inputs, so if you need an additional digital input (for 2 channel source), you need a digital swtich before the Trinnov.
post #9 of 76 Old 08-28-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's a good question! But if there were some would they be at the same level of Casablanca or Cinema rhapsody?
However I wonder (and not "I want") if - for movies - Casablanca Iii hd is really better than the Cinema rhapsody mach ivb. Looking for a reasonable, valid answer I'm tacking into consideration several aspects; one of these is the digital connection with the Trinnov (this option could be a reasonable element that would help me to make a decision; the modular design of the Theta could be another; also the surround modes, like the different kind of dolby prologic etc are important for me while watching hdtv or even a movie with 7.1 array from ordinary 5.1 of italian blurays... Ada has many, Datasat not and Theta is ok considering also the digital connection with Trinnov: everithing in a system:)).

Yes, Trinnov because I need/want the best drc and that's way I' m going to try the rs20i with dirac live as well... Even if I know that it's very hard to make a reliable comparison..
That's why I'm reading a lot and talking with you:rolleyes:
On the other side I know that will be almost impossible to get a try of a Casablanca IIIhd with a digi out to trinnov mc using the dacs of this last one... And I'm not sure about the theta dreadnaugh III while I liked ada amplifiers matched with the Rhapsody...
A jump in the dark?!

I would prefer an ssp over an oppo because I want the best from all my sources: brplayer, mediaserver, hdtv etc..
post #10 of 76 Old 08-28-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a good question! But if there were some would they be at the same level of Casablanca or Cinema rhapsody?
However I wonder (and not "I want") if - for movies - Casablanca Iii hd is really better than the Cinema rhapsody mach ivb. Looking for a reasonable, valid answer I'm tacking into consideration several aspects; one of these is the digital connection with the Trinnov (this option could be a reasonable element that would help me to make a decision; the modular design of the Theta could be another; also the surround modes, like the different kind of dolby prologic etc are important for me while watching hdtv or even a movie with 7.1 array from ordinary 5.1 of italian blurays... Ada has many, Datasat not and Theta is ok considering also the digital connection with Trinnov: everithing in a system:)).
Yes, Trinnov because I need/want the best drc and that's way I' m going to try the rs20i with dirac live as well... Even if I know that it's very hard to make a reliable comparison..
That's why I'm reading a lot and talking with you:rolleyes:
On the other side I know that will be almost impossible to get a try of a Casablanca IIIhd with a digi out to trinnov mc using the dacs of this last one... And I'm not sure about the theta dreadnaugh III while I liked ada amplifiers matched with the Rhapsody...
A jump in the dark?!
I would prefer an ssp over an oppo because I want the best from all my sources: brplayer, mediaserver, hdtv etc..

Based on my experience I believe strongly the Theta CBIII diigtal route will sound better. I personally try stuff at home to make up my own mind, but it will be near impossilbe to get your hands on a CBIII HD with digi out card for in house audition. So yes, a shot in the dark it is.
post #11 of 76 Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

well, digital out apart, Casablanca IIIhd sounds better than Cinema Rhapsody for movies?
Have you compared them?
post #12 of 76 Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well, digital out apart, Casablanca IIIhd sounds better than Cinema Rhapsody for movies?
Have you compared them?

I don't have a CBIII HD so I could not tell. For your application is is a meaningless question though - you are not comparing the CBIII HD with the ADA MachIV. If you are seriously considering a Trinnov mc8 the variables that matter are the quality of your source signal (analog or digital), cabling, DRC, and the Trinnov DAC (and digital volume control I guess). All else being equal, the digital source will sound better than the analog.

If you get good digital cabling, this will also cause far less degradration than analog (this factor is not to be underestimated - an amazing amount of information gets lost in an analog cable. Try replacing your $400 interconnect with a $4000 interconnect and you'll know what I mean. You won't be using four runs of $4000 analog cable between ADA and mc8, so your analog signal takes a hit right there).
post #13 of 76 Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have a CBIII HD so I could not tell. For your application is is a meaningless question though - you are not comparing the CBIII HD with the ADA MachIV. If you are seriously considering a Trinnov mc8 the variables that matter are the quality of your source signal (analog or digital), cabling, DRC, and the Trinnov DAC (and digital volume control I guess). All else being equal, the digital source will sound better than the analog.
If you get good digital cabling, this will also cause far less degradration than analog. This factor is not to be underestimated - an amazing amount of information gets lost in an analog cable. Try replacing your $400 interconnect with a $4000 interconnect and you'll know what I mean. You won't be using four runs of $4000 analog cable between ADA and mc8, so your analog signal takes a hit right there (ok, shoot me - you cable skeptics out there. I was one of yours until I got myself some real good cables:)).
post #14 of 76 Old 08-29-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

4000$ cable?!! Model and brand?

Anyway before the cables I think to the amp
I've not found many information about Dreadnaught III
While the ada ptm 5150 I listened to is very good in specs as well..
And this is not meaningless as I am evaluating different systems and component
not been able to make direct comparisons or at least a try of the system you suggest me.
In addition prices are also different (I prefer to buy new staff).
post #15 of 76 Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

4000$ cable?!! Model and brand?
Anyway before the cables I think to the amp
I've not found many information about Dreadnaught III
While the ada ptm 5150 I listened to is very good in specs as well..
And this is not meaningless as I am evaluating different systems and component
not been able to make direct comparisons or at least a try of the system you suggest me.
In addition prices are also different (I prefer to buy new staff).

Transparent Audio Reference MM2 - $4400 MSRP. You can get the Reference Opus for over $10K.

In any event, if you are seriously considering buying stuff new, this changes the value equation quite a bit. At street price, the ADA Mach IV is about the same as a CBIII with digi out card. at MSRP the Theta will be twice the cost. It will still be better, but question is will it be worth the extra expense. Also, the moment you take your brand new CBIII out of the box it will be worth $8000 less on the second hand market, while the $8000 ADA will still fetch $6000. Theta economics are very different from ADA. Why anyone would buy a Theta CBIII new is completely beyond me (I just sold my CBIII chassis with a $3000 card for $2,700).

I also never understood why someone would want the same brand amp as processor. Forget the synergy nonsens. Only synergy on electronics are faceplates. Amps drive your speaker - that is where any potential synergies come in. Just get the best amps to drive your speakers within your budget range.

Again, I have a very different approach to audio buying than you. I buy stuff used, narrowing down my list to components that get a very good rap from users and reviewers. Then I try it at home, keep what I like and sell what I don't like. I sometimes do 30 day trials on stuff I seriously consider buying new.
post #16 of 76 Old 08-29-2012, 03:34 PM

"Thenagain some folks have a porsche and a ferrari in the garage for diffent days of the week."
Monday and Thursday. :>)
post #17 of 76 Old 08-29-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandevantersh1 View Post

"Thenagain some folks have a porsche and a ferrari in the garage for diffent days of the week."
Monday and Thursday. :>)

Of course I was not making this stuff up.
post #18 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #19 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Just get the best amps to drive your speakers within your budget range.

This is probably the best advice you can give anyone considering an amp.cool.gif
post #20 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Have you compared them?

Here's a PM a mailed to another AVS member who asked me my opinion about the ADA vs Theta

Good choices...

I cannot comment on the Datasat but my feelings are the Trinnov processing / 3d remapping may be superior. I'm not sure how much manual tweaking you can do with the DIRAC after programming either. That said, there is a lot of buzz about it so it cannot be dismissed.

My views on the Theta are well known. The DACs are still the old Motorolas from 1999 and the Theta thread is still ripe with HDMI and other bugs related to the latest upgrade - and who knows the new ones the DIRAC will introduce. New DACS may be required which may up your investment another $7K to $10K. My limited experience with it is that it is solid but too dated to even consider in 2012. Like my old Halcro, that was sent in for HDMI upgrades, it was buggy ever since. I'm a believer that HDMI cannot be added on and new software written that is bulletproof. Too many issues with that old box and only a handful of owners on the forum. If you notice, I don't think anyone on the forum has purchased one in the last few years - or if they did, it was a used model. I'd stay away. It's the same 6-8 owners touting it's performance and others are dumping them as there are 8 CBIII/ CBIII HDs for sale on Videogon alone.

The ADA has acquitted itself well but then again it is new and designed from the ground up with the latest technology. One issue is that major firmware upgrades are done at the factory (I think Theta is alike). ADA turns it around in a day, but none the less it is a small hassle. HDMI is completely reliable and control is the best in the industry with so many RS-232 commands (or IP). Sonically I think it is great for movies. Can't comment on audio only as it I've never used it for such. I think if musicality / 2 channel was the most important, the Classe' or even Theta might be a better choice with their unique digital / analog inputs.

I am still using my QSC DACs but plan on having Jeff Meier out to do the PEQ in the fall. Can't wait. I've always been one to trae out many SSPs over the years and I really like this one as it sounds great and is fully reliable (and such a huge feature set). Programming is an excellent Windows program. Anything you can imagine can be modified or tweaked. ADA provides excellent customer service as well. Very important in my opinion.

Would I buy it again? As of today, 'yes'. In a year, maybe not as things are always getting better. I like the idea of the ADA reference - but not at $40K. The Trinnov integration makes an already excellent processor near the top of the heap in my opinion. I heard this combo at CEDIA a couple years ago and was astounded by the improvements.

Best of luck

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #21 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

......... Would I buy it again? As of today, 'yes'. In a year, maybe not as things are always getting better. I like the idea of the ADA reference - but not at $40K. The Trinnov integration makes an already excellent processor near the top of the heap in my opinion. I heard this combo at CEDIA a couple years ago and was astounded by the improvements......
Jeff[/SIZE][/I]

If you were a little more adventurous you could get ADA reference performance at the price of ADA + TEQ. How? Scoop up one of those dirt cheap CBIIIs you mentioned, get it upgraded with a digi out card and run it into an Trinnov mc8 (or mc12).

Here is my ranking of performance of three signal paths and 2 media (my baseline is Marantz ud9004 + Six Shooter into Trinnov.

Blu Ray:
Marantz + SS -> Trinnov (A/D conversion) : 100
ADA Mach IV -> Trinnov (A/D conversion) : 90
Oppo 93 modded S/PDIF out -> Trinnov (digital in): 120

SACD:
ADA Mach IV -> Trinnov (A/D conversion) : 80

Conclusion: If the Theta digi out card is even close to the Oppo digi out, it will trounce the ADA Mach IV + TEQ combo. There is no reason to assume the digi out card is not top notch since it apparently sounds excellent on 2 channel into the GenVIII, even with HDMI sources.

I expect CBIII digi out into Trinnov it to be a 110 on Blu Ray and a 100 on SACD, below the Oppo, because the S/PDIF outs from a reclocked custom board is a probably better than the HDMI output of a compli blu or equivalent player.

From what I hear the CBIII HDMI implementation is rock solid. The age of the DACs is immaterial in this scenario. Even if Theta went under completely, I am quite confident the CBIII HD with Digi out card will be humming along just fine for the next decade.
post #22 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you were a little more adventurous you could get ADA reference performance at the price of ADA + TEQ. How? Scoop up one of those dirt cheap CBIIIs you mentioned, get it upgraded with a digi out card and run it into an Trinnov mc8 (or mc12).
Here is my ranking of performance of three signal paths and 2 media (my baseline is Marantz ud9004 + Six Shooter into Trinnov.
Blu Ray:
ADA Mach IV -> Trinnov (A/D conversion) : 90
SACD:
ADA Mach IV -> Trinnov (A/D conversion) : 80
Conclusion: If the Theta digi out card is even close to the Oppo digi out, it will trounce the ADA Mach IV + TEQ combo. There is no reason to assume the digi out card is not top notch since it apparently sounds excellent on 2 channel into the GenVIII, even with HDMI sources.
I expect CBIII digi out into Trinnov it to be a 110 on Blu Ray and a 100 on SACD, below the Oppo, because the S/PDIF outs from a reclocked custom board is a probably better than the HDMI output of a compli blu or equivalent player.
From what I hear the CBIII HDMI implementation is rock solid. The age of the DACs is immaterial in this scenario. Even if Theta went under completely, I am quite confident the CBIII HD with Digi out card will be humming along just fine for the next decade.

Fair points. To your argument, the CBIII comes up on top when you bypass it completely - a positive in my mind in this case. The DIGI out is an impressive addition. I assume it makes this scenario work with an 8 channel modded Oppo?? So, the OPPO is sending multi-channe LPCM which the CBIII can process with DTS MA / TRUE HD (minus dialnorm) and send digitally out of the DIGI card?

Or does the CBIII HD digitally (LPCM) output an HDMI bitstream signal from a Blu Ray player to the DIGI output without a modded Oppo?

post #23 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Fair points. To your argument, the CBIII comes up on top when you bypass it completely - a positive in my mind in this case. The DIGI out is an impressive addition. I assume it makes this scenario work with an 8 channel modded Oppo?? So, the OPPO is sending multi-channe LPCM which the CBIII can process with DTS MA / TRUE HD (minus dialnorm) and send digitally out of the DIGI card?
Or does the CBIII HD digitally (LPCM) output an HDMI bitstream signal from a Blu Ray player to the DIGI output without a modded Oppo?

The modded Oppo takes the CBIII out of the equation completely. I run digital into my Trinnov directly from the Oppo S/PDIF outputs. The Oppo does the decoding to LPCM. So there is no post processing other than what the Oppo can do. I sold my CBIII.

The CBIII + digi out it an alternative all digital approach, which is far more flexible (for starters you can switch multiple sources, and you have far superior bass management functionality). It uses a standard players' HDMI as source, decodes and sends to digi out card as LPCM. This has following drawbacks:
More expensive
Downsampling on sourcing above 48/24
Probably inferior sound quality, because the modded Oppo uses proprietary DSD-LPCM conversion and reclocking, and S/PDIF is inherently a better protocal to transmit high rez digital audio.
post #24 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The modded Oppo takes the CBIII out of the equation completely. I run digital into my Trinnov directly from the Oppo S/PDIF outputs. The Oppo does the decoding to LPCM. So there is no post processing other than what the Oppo can do. I sold my CBIII.
The CBIII + digi out it an alternative all digital approach, which is far more flexible (for starters you can switch multiple sources, and you have far superior bass management functionality). It uses a standard players' HDMI as source, decodes and sends to digi out card as LPCM. This has following drawbacks:
More expensive
Downsampling on sourcing above 48/24
Probably inferior sound quality, because the modded Oppo uses proprietary DSD-LPCM conversion and reclocking, and S/PDIF is inherently a better protocal to transmit high rez digital audio.

Good info. Does the Oppo apply DTS MA / TRUE HD or is this just 2 channel for you?

Forget the DIRAC, this sounds like a more ideal solution.

post #25 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good info. Does the Oppo apply DTS MA / TRUE HD or is this just 2 channel for you?
Forget the DIRAC, this sounds like a more ideal solution.

The Oppo does all the decoding. It has 4 x S/PDIF outs. You can add subs in the Trinnov. The only thing you cannot do running Oppo without a SSP for post processsing is expanding 5.1 sources to 7.1. You will only get 7.1 (or 7.x) on native 7.1 sources, of which there are very few. You can probably configure the trinnov to just copy your surround channels information to the side channels to get 7.1 on 5.1 sources though.
post #26 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Interesting thing for you to think about.....

I was told that Ada did indeed make a digi out board to go into the crm4 and may still be available to purchase. But if they indeed do you'll end up with the same issue of the downsampling to 48/24 due to hdmi restrictions.

But if someone can get a picture of the insides of the crm4 or even better a service manual for it, send it to the people who make the vanity upgrade for the oppo, they reckon they could get one in to the Ada, so long as it physically fits!

Just a thought...
post #27 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 35
And yes, the trinnov mc, using 3d mapping or even 2d mapping will allow you to fully utilise the full speaker array you may have. Ie, if you tell it you have a 5.1 smpte input and have 7.x out it will use all speakers.
post #28 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post

Interesting thing for you to think about.....
I was told that Ada did indeed make a digi out board to go into the crm4 and may still be available to purchase. But if they indeed do you'll end up with the same issue of the downsampling to 48/24 due to hdmi restrictions.
But if someone can get a picture of the insides of the crm4 or even better a service manual for it, send it to the people who make the vanity upgrade for the oppo, they reckon they could get one in to the Ada, so long as it physically fits!
Just a thought...

The guys that does the Oppo mod can probably hack an ADA and get full resolution digi out. BUT 3 things:

No way he can do this based on a pic. You'll need to ship your ADA.
It will be an expensive custom project
You will loose your analog outputs, because he will probably replace the analog board with a custom digital board, using the XLRs as AES/EBU outputs.

A big committment and leap of faith. Who wants to go first?

Come to think of it, it can definitely be done (may be relatively easily) because this is exactly how the ADA reference is build. The reference just bypasses the analog circuit of the MachIV, takes the digital output and feeds it straight to the on board Trinnov.
post #29 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post

I was told that Ada did indeed make a digi out board to go into the crm4 and may still be available to purchase.

Really?!!eek.gif
Did you know that from Ada staff?
post #30 of 76 Old 08-30-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Really?!!eek.gif
Did you know that from Ada staff?

+1!!

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page