Thinking about buying a comercial cinema projector... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
I'm thinking about buying a 2k commercial cinema projector with, hopefully, high frame rate and upgrade paths to both passive 3D and 4k for my HT. The theater has full light control and the perf screen will be between 15 and 16 feet wide, hence the need for a bright projector (perhaps a dialed down 10,000 to 12,000 lumens). As for viewing habits, 2D and 3D movies and TV shows via DirecTV and Blu-ray.

I have no affiliation with the movie business whatsoever and therefore have no access to either 2k or 4k material.

So my question is this: Would I better off buying a made for HT HD (1920 x 1080) projector from Sim 2 or similar or buying a 2k commercial cinema projector from say Barco or other commercial projector manufacturers?

And do you have any insight or advice for someone interested in a 2k commercial cinema projector?

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hard to justify. The only reason you really need all that light is for 3D. How many movies are there in 3D that you actually care about? Bluray source means the DCI color space on a commercial projector goes to waste. Contrast ratio is worse than consumer units. Many have special power & airflow requirements. They're big, loud, and hot. Lamps are expensive. Connectivity seems somewhat of a grey area requiring additional boxes or mods to make normal consumer sources work. I'm not sure about support... service contracts are the norm for commercial equipment in general. "Routine maintenance & care" may also qualify differently.

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page