AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

What a silly statement to make
I used to have 115" wide 16:9 AR screen before my current setup . The biggest upgrade I perceived when going to my new theater was 170" wide screen and 2.37:1 AR with ISCO. When sitting in the second row ( approx 20 Ft) , I wish I could have even bigger screen. When I go to friends theaters who have 100-110" diagonal screens, it seems like I am watching a big screen TV again. You don't involve enough of peripheral vision at that size to get immersive experience that you get with bigger screen. It has nothing to do with envy or whatever your perception is. If you look at my posts from couple of years ago when I bought Lumis , I didnt think it as a huge upgrade from my infocus IN83, when I was using it on my previous screen . But once I moved to new setup , there was no comparison. In my transition the bigger and scope screen were the most noticeable upgrades with speakers, audio processors, make of a projector or resolution as distant second and thirds ( as long as PJ has enough light to light the screen). You just get more cinema like experience. Otherwise why bother going to IMAX if its all about "severe peinis envy"....smile.gif

Of course its silly but just sit closer. Of course what you did was a big improvement. Screen size is everything. we all know that. i am not criticising anyones decision to go wide. The analogies are true however and there has been a keep up with the big boys in choosing screen sizes whether some will admit it or not.

What I will reiterate is the compromises one must make in order to obtaim very large screen sizes including the inability to use absolute reference quality screens. There is a chase for light and most often screen fabric compromises are involved. That or give up black or mount at short throw compromising optical performance. And with the big boys, size trumps every other consideration and it is fueled by the group.

Mark's silly. Size is everything.

Right now too my eyes 4K is everything and then having a textureless screen that completely disappears. You can fill mt peripheral vision but without the above, the magic is gone for me.

But if I had say the coming new high lumen Sony 4K and the space, I would have a screen as big as Art's but I would do it with 100 not 130, it makes that much of a difference.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 133 Old 11-25-2012, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I do not think CM was who he said he was.

Not "on topic" but sure does peak my curiosity! eek.gif
post #63 of 133 Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Of course its silly but just sit closer. Of course what you did was a big improvement. Screen size is everything. we all know that. i am not criticising anyones decision to go wide. The analogies are true however and there has been a keep up with the big boys in choosing screen sizes whether some will admit it or not.
What I will reiterate is the compromises one must make in order to obtaim very large screen sizes including the inability to use absolute reference quality screens. There is a chase for light and most often screen fabric compromises are involved. That or give up black or mount at short throw compromising optical performance. And with the big boys, size trumps every other consideration and it is fueled by the group.
Mark's silly. Size is everything.
Right now too my eyes 4K is everything and then having a textureless screen that completely disappears. You can fill mt peripheral vision but without the above, the magic is gone for me.
But if I had say the coming new high lumen Sony 4K and the space, I would have a screen as big as Art's but I would do it with 100 not 130, it makes that much of a difference.

I am not contesting that the quality of the picture still matters. You cant have washed out blacks and low out put projector and still enjoy the big screen. But the point is that projectors like DP titan, Sim2HT5000 or lumis are well capable of maintaining very good picture quality on very large size screens. When I moved to my new theater , I tried my old screen along with the new 170" wide 1.37:1 , screen excellence 4K enlightor with the same projectors. With Infocus , I preferred the smaller screen because I got brighter picture with better black levels. But with Lumis there was no contest , bigger was better. I didn't see any appreciable loss in quality and the difference in size handily overwhelmed any decrease in quality. Steve has been to my theater and seen the black levels and intrascene contrast and clarity. Even on >14 ft wide screen they are all spectacular. Screen excellence 4k material is really good for being AT, it looks solid even when standing 2 feet from it.

Here is an image on my screen - you cant tell the black in picture from the black wall and black borders on the screen. It is as shot with no processing:

post #64 of 133 Old 11-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Another one

post #65 of 133 Old 11-25-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Very nice.

I am just posting to liven things up. Very very soon you will be getting a 4K to replace your Sim2.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #66 of 133 Old 11-25-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Very nice.
I am just posting to liven things up. Very very soon you will be getting a 4K to replace your Sim2.

I'm betting you're right, at least as 4K content becomes sufficient to be an irresistable force.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #67 of 133 Old 11-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

I sure will be interested in 4k or higher resolution projector at some point but not at present. Probably when there at least couple of dozen movies in native 4K which are worth watching more than once . So i guess I may start looking in couple of yrs. But it will have to be bright enough for the screen and knowing my personal preference/taste, it likely will be a 3 chip DLP , unless there are scanning laser projectors on horizon by then...smile.gif
post #68 of 133 Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

I am not contesting that the quality of the picture still matters. You cant have washed out blacks and low out put projector and still enjoy the big screen. But the point is that projectors like DP titan, Sim2HT5000 or lumis are well capable of maintaining very good picture quality on very large size screens. When I moved to my new theater , I tried my old screen along with the new 170" wide 1.37:1 , screen excellence 4K enlightor with the same projectors. With Infocus , I preferred the smaller screen because I got brighter picture with better black levels. But with Lumis there was no contest , bigger was better. I didn't see any appreciable loss in quality and the difference in size handily overwhelmed any decrease in quality. Steve has been to my theater and seen the black levels and intrascene contrast and clarity. Even on >14 ft wide screen they are all spectacular. Screen excellence 4k material is really good for being AT, it looks solid even when standing 2 feet from it.
Here is an image on my screen - you cant tell the black in picture from the black wall and black borders on the screen. It is as shot with no processing:

Mani accurately states my positive perception of the quality of his video/picture. Absolutely stunning!@biggrin.gif

Add the Darby at the projoctor end, like I did with my Sim2 C3X 1080 3 chip DLP projector, and the picture is even better. Mani, did you get the Darby yet?wink.gif

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #69 of 133 Old 11-25-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's some endorsement from Steve about the Darblet since its not a Theta product.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #70 of 133 Old 11-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Mani accurately states my positive perception of the quality of his video/picture. Absolutely stunning!@biggrin.gif
Add the Darby at the projoctor end, like I did with my Sim2 C3X 1080 3 chip DLP projector, and the picture is even better. Mani, did you get the Darby yet?wink.gif

He Steve

Good to see you active on the forum again
Yes I did get Darbee 2-3 months ag o and I have it in theater..smile.gif Although above pictures were taken before I got the Darbee

Mani
post #71 of 133 Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I'm betting you're right, at least as 4K content becomes sufficient to be an irresistable force.
Art

But Art it would need to be DLP 4K as I remember you stating the Sony 10000 4K doesnt stack up to your Sim DLP ?
post #72 of 133 Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There are 4K DLP machines out there but they are big bulky, noisy, massive thermal producing machines that are difficult in their installation and are very very expensive. I believe Sim2 is offering such a machine which they are making no bones about it being I believe a Christie machine. It is well over $100K (about $175K if I remember correctly but they do do the installation of it assuning isolation and cooling requirements are provided for.

TI I am assuming is maintaining a high price structure for its 4K panels as a soul source provider and I would think has no interest in selling its 4K chips for a $4K consumer a machine.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #73 of 133 Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 AM

I think someone needs to buy the DLP tech from TI and do something with it. I guess advancements used to be RPTV driven but now we're stuck with a relatively small FPTV market they seem to have lost interest.
post #74 of 133 Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

But Art it would need to be DLP 4K as I remember you stating the Sony 10000 4K doesnt stack up to your Sim DLP ?

That is correct, A/B to my HT 5000 it was no contest so yes 4K DLP, at least right now, is what would be my choice.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #75 of 133 Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I hear there will be several smaller 4K units from both LCoS and DLP manufacturers in the next few months.
Art

Hi Art:

I assume these are DCI units to be announced by Baro, Christie,NEC and Sony? I had heard about the Ti S2K .67 small chip but have not heard that 4K units have been announced. I also thought these units will be much larger than Titan or Theatro
post #76 of 133 Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Lon,
My understanding was significantly smaller than present DCI units. I don't have dimensions perhaps you do.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #77 of 133 Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The new coming Sony, the SRX -R515, a DCI 4K machine with a built in DCI server as well as with 2 HDMI units, 15,000 lumens and a contrast (undefined) of 5000, dimensions are approximately 21.5 inches x 21.5 inches x 40 inches with a weight of 69 lbs. More details under the DCI forum dcicentral.com. The target is smaller commercial theaters. Also requires 220V.Pricing around $45,000. Expected st Q.

Lon. About half of what I spent in the last six months on medical procedures on my 8 year old Swissy.Back knee ligament replacement, emergency bloat operation for twisted stumach, and a colinoscopy and a subsequest second polyp removal. Plus the normal $2 to $7 dollar a pound vet visits.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #78 of 133 Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Knock on wood my Swissy has been healthy. He started freaking out last night trying to walk on my kitchen porcelin floor, I think the swissy being mountain rescue dogs have an inherited genetic code to fear ice (my floors are beige and shinny). Every now and then he gets confused between Long Island and the Swiss Alps.

What are you hearing about smaller DLP 4K machines
post #79 of 133 Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nothing really yet. Obviously the companies that are making them noW are focuused on the commercial DCI market and TI controls the 4K chips. Som2 merely is ressing a readily available commercial machine but is including installation.

I suppose it is possible that Delta will be able to purchase the panels and OEM a 4K commercial non DCI machine.

I would direct that questionto Mr. Pixels on the dcicentral.com forum.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #80 of 133 Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

would direct that questionto Mr. Pixels on the dcicentral.com forum.

I'm not finding this site.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #81 of 133 Old 11-28-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

www.dcicentral.com/forum

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #82 of 133 Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks !

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #83 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 AM

The new Sony SRX-R515 spec is for 15,000 lumens. How would you dial that down to appropriately fill a 14 to 15' screen? Somewhere I read it has a 45k price tag, though I have no idea if that is accurate. Anyone have the scoop on when it might be available for purchase in the US?
post #84 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It should be shipping in the first Q. It is a commercial machine and as such will be available from the few non consumer projector vendors that deal in commercial theater machines. If you are interest give me a call and I will put you in contact with a reseller who will sell to consumers and has comsidrable expertise in HT large screen 4K screening rooms.

The price should be right around 445K with no discounts available. The promarket has little mark up, so one can't dream of paying the hugely discounted price for consumer projectors.

I do not know if this machine has an iris buy a high quality 4 inch square ND filter of appropriate value should work fine to cut the lumens down if needed.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #85 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The price should be right around 445K with no discounts available.

A little pricey IMO.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #86 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry Art. A typo, the 4 key also has the dollar sign on it and I guess I didn't hit the shift key hard enough.

I have corrected it to $45K.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #87 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM

Have you thought about running dual Sony Home Theater 4k projectors (I forget the ES model number)? Can this be done to deliver 3D-4k and 2D-4k on a 15' screen with ample brightness? Any thoughts on what outboard equipment might be needed to run a dual Sony 4k 3D and 2D setup, aside from a HTPC? Can a 2D dual set up be configured to use on projector on one half of the screen and the another for the other half of the screen? Or is this just way too complicated?
post #88 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
It doesn't stack well, no noticable improvement in light from the screen, according to Wolfgang, so he is making do with a single one.
post #89 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You double the light, there should be a perceived 40% increase in brightness. You could stack them but you need micro platform adjustments to line the pixels up exactly and that isn't really possible.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #90 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 PM

What about running 2 Sony ES-whatevers 4k HT projectors for 3D and then using only one for 2d? Too crazy or complicated? Probably...

Did I hear mention of a new Sony 4k PJ with approx. 6k lumens on the horizon?

As an alternative, do you think there will be any issues running the upcoming SRX-R515 for HT use? Is the stated CR of 8,000:1 acceptable for HT? How would you think picture quality would be vs. a Sim2 or modded Barco?
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page