Why so few high end projector threads? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 358
There is a new Sony coming for the commercial theater based on the optical block in the 1000ES. It will put out 15,000 lumens and include a dci server built in for loading content. It will also take in by HDMI a merely bluray 1080p feed as well.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Threre is a new Sony coming for the commercial theater based on the optical block in the 1000ES. It will put out 15,000 lumens and include a dci server built in for loading content. It will also take in by HDMI a merely bluray 1080p feed as well.

Sounds impressive, but isn't this going to overkill for typical home theaters?    I calculate that even with a 1.0 gain screen, one would get >/=25 ftL for screens up to 30 ft wide.    ?

post #93 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yes, probably overkill, but Sony's commercial competitors are doing the same thing with their lineups- adding smaller all-in-one solutions at the entry level. see Christie and Barco websites.

I have a feeling there is going to be a minor sea change of high end home theaters installing commercial grade projectors instead of consumer-level projectors; people are going to see that they can get a better value in a commercial unit than the high end consumer pieces.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #94 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Exactly. Its always better to have more light than needed. ND filters are relatively cheap and if the bulbs dims 40% who cares? And one can use the best unity gain fabrics if room considerations are right or sane mild gain screens if they are not. . Remember these new projectors aren't for those with 2 chairs in front of the screen and can't get by with a retroreflective screen set up. I do feel the days of very expensive say $30 to $35K street price consumer projectors are over.

First 4k is coming really fast and whether one likes it, and idiots stop trying to convince themselves that who needs it 1080p is enough at my seating distance (and true if they sit in the bleachers in left field and just like the cry WTF overkill, give me 720p or give me death, I don't need a 1080p projector, whatever. And just like CDs have gone away to a large extent, content will be delivered over the internet and rented rather than owned and those with the right servers will sooner or later be able to get the same feeds as commercial theaters. Film distribution is over and disc distribution will die out too. This will all lead to the golden age of film production, with the film being digitally distributed in the highest 4K quality to consumers willing to pay a premium and to masses at a lower quality but still digitally. and its all green. No plastic DVD boxes and DVDs, no cutting down of trees to make storage racks, no rediculous DVD and Bluray servers at high prices like the K scope. Nope. Buy a server like the Redray for $1450 or built into a under $5K0 projector server combo for the big, really big, home theaters and with the coming of toy $4K projectors like the very good toy 1080p projectors out there. and Red with no middle man will likely have in a year a consumer projector, 4K laser driven, built in DCI server for say anout $15K. But they dsaid $10K. they said $1000 for Redray and it came in at $1450. They said $10K for the projector there and no mark my word it will be around $15K unless they figure out a way to do 4K with a 4K lens and cut the server out. You are in the wrong forum is $15K is too rich for your blood.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #95 of 133 Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Mark, is there any word on what the price point might be on Red’s CRIMSON projector (the one meant for commercial theaters)?

To me, the real dogfight will be between the CRIMSON and Sony’s SRX-R515. I have no doubt the Sony will throw a remarkable picture, and the $45k pricetag is a bargain compared to Christie and Barco’s 4K projectors.

So the question is, how far can Red undercut Sony when they’ve already set a $15k price on the Red home projector?
post #96 of 133 Old 12-05-2012, 01:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I really don't know more about Red than what one reads in the press and what's in the various Red forums where key Red players and Odemax players participate. For a commercial theater, the Crimson over Red Projector (both made by Red) would have a more power lazer source and a lens d5signed to fill a large screen from a who knows what throw range. My guess is the Red won't have as many or even any lens options while the Crimson will offer some.the I would guess (thats GUESS). I am stabbing but I think the crimson might end up costing $25-35K.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #97 of 133 Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

To me, the real dogfight will be between the CRIMSON and Sony’s SRX-R515. I have no doubt the Sony will throw a remarkable picture, and the $45k pricetag is a bargain compared to Christie and Barco’s 4K projectors.

I read a spec of 330 lbs for the Sony... That's a non starter for me. What an ordeal mounting or removing it if service is ever needed. I think my Lumis is 30 lbs.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #98 of 133 Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What your booth ain't big enough to drive in the forklift rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif.
post #99 of 133 Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I read a spec of 330 lbs for the Sony... That's a non starter for me. What an ordeal mounting or removing it if service is ever needed. I think my Lumis is 30 lbs.

It's clear that this pj is for commercial venues, not HT.

post #100 of 133 Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Wow, that's a mother. The Barco DP2K-12C is only 220 lbs. And the Sony is 330 lbs --- wait for it --- without a lens!

Mark, do you think the 45K for the Sony includes a lens? It appears that it has a separate lens for 2D than it does for 3D. Do you think that's correct?

All in all, I've got to tell you, it looks like one rockin' machine!
post #101 of 133 Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

you and I are not talking about the new coming Sony. I looked up the Spec and the weight was going off memory 69 lbs. you can find the specs on dcicentral.com/forum

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #102 of 133 Old 12-07-2012, 11:29 AM

Liked: 11
The SRX-515 is going to weigh 330 lbs, you can check sony's website if you don't believe me. The current larger model the SRX-320 weighs around 420 lbs and the previous model was if I remember correctly over 600 lbs. For some reason sony doesn't believe in liquid cooling instead they use massive air cooling which makes their projectors massive, all tough I do not know if the SRX-515 will have liquid cooling or not. Their air cooling system hasn't been efficient enough either so they have a reputation of overheating easily and being prone to early lamp failure.
post #103 of 133 Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 175
From the brochure listed here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/res/attachment/file/20/1237489017420.pdf
Quote:
Mass Approx. 145kg (319.6 lb)

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #104 of 133 Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Good for an OT but a bit big for a PJ.biggrin.gif

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #105 of 133 Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Its a few Kg less than a 912;-).
post #106 of 133 Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I rechecked the spec sheet and the weight is 150KG which is equal to 330 lbs. I divided by 2.2 instead of multiplying the kg by 2.2 to get the pounds. sorry for my mistake.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #107 of 133 Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 PM

We recently installed a Teatro 80 dual bulb unit and I think it's still as good as it gets now (I'm sure some have obtained similar results with other high-end DLP projectors). Even though improvements can still be made in areas such as on/off contrast I am inclined to believe that the next big frontier is 4K with 4k source materiel. The manufacturers need a way to offer the next high-end solution and 4K is the way to do it. The fact that Sony has announced they will be providing 4K content for their TV is pretty exciting. I'm sure it'll be years before we see a lot of 4K content, but I don't see what other direction there is if we want huge improvements. Anyhow, my point is that as some 4K content starts to become available I think we'll start to see more excitement in this forum again over video.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts about what Art asked at the beginning of this thread.
post #108 of 133 Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haddad View Post

We recently installed a Teatro 80 dual bulb unit and I think it's still as good as it gets now (I'm sure some have obtained similar results with other high-end DLP projectors). Even though improvements can still be made in areas such as on/off contrast I am inclined to believe that the next big frontier is 4K with 4k source materiel. The manufacturers need a way to offer the next high-end solution and 4K is the way to do it. The fact that Sony has announced they will be providing 4K content for their TV is pretty exciting. I'm sure it'll be years before we see a lot of 4K content, but I don't see what other direction there is if we want huge improvements. Anyhow, my point is that as some 4K content starts to become available I think we'll start to see more excitement in this forum again over video.
Anyhow, those are my thoughts about what Art asked at the beginning of this thread.

David. Because of the Redray player and the Redray Odemax service, we should soon have lots of 4K content. Plus, one can certainly right now scale 1080p to 4HD or 4K and improve the PQ in many ways. Though it might not be good for sales, I personally would hold off on any really large screen projector until 4K machines sort themselves out. The Sony 1000ES is here now but it doesn't have enough light for a large low gain screen. The Red projector is coming and so is the new commercial Sony. It would seem to me to be a better deal to get one of these than spending the considerable more bucks the very good 2K light canon sim2s might cost..

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #109 of 133 Old 12-14-2012, 08:23 AM

At this "bargain" price the 515 is sold with a server.
This kind of server needs a pass code for each movie
That means only for commercial use
Am I right ?
post #110 of 133 Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
The Sony 1000ES is here now but it doesn't have enough light for a large low gain screen. The Red projector is coming and so is the new commercial Sony. It would seem to me to be a better deal to get one of these than spending the considerable more bucks the very good 2K light canon sim2s might cost..

I'll bet that Teatro 80 throws a killer picture. Any one of us could drop dead from a heart attack or die in a car wreck today. There is always something better over the horizon. Buy the best home theater ( and wine - dammit ! ) you can afford and feel comfortable buying - today. Tomorrow ( and a better projector ) - may never come.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #111 of 133 Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Sony to get DCI content needs a license key for each piece of content. One has to pay for 4K or 2K DCI content. Content is supplied on a hard drive and the license key allows it to be shown under various conditions such as between such and such dates. The server allows the input of HDMI sources such as Bluray etc and I assume any hard drive content regardlress of whether such content requires a license key to be played. The Redray player I think could be directly hooked up to the HDMI inpuThe Sony 515 is a big machine but it certainly will go into a variety of home theaters, particularly those wiling to pay for a specific key for a specific release. Actually, releases after their first run are.not priced off the grid but if you have a $45K projector, watching a couple of such releases a month would not break the bank. I am not at liberty to disclose more but i am willing to supply more info off line, so call me if you want to discuss.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #112 of 133 Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I'll bet that Teatro 80 throws a killer picture. Any one of us could drop dead from a heart attack or die in a car wreck today. There is always something better over the horizon. Buy the best home theater ( and wine - dammit ! ) you can afford and feel comfortable buying - today. Tomorrow ( and a better projector ) - may never come.

Teatro 50 is the HT 5000 the Teatro 80 is a dual lamp version. I could not find one with good panel alignment so I stayed with my 5000 changing lamps to keep the light output high instead.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #113 of 133 Old 12-15-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Teatro 50 is the HT 5000 the Teatro 80 is a dual lamp version. I could not find one with good panel alignment so I stayed with my 5000 changing lamps to keep the light output high instead.
Art

I'm curious, Art:   about what is the ftL that you get off your screen with the HT5000?

post #114 of 133 Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I'm curious, Art:   about what is the ftL that you get off your screen with the HT5000?

Between 19 and 24 depending on the lamp and age of the lamp. The big deal for me is the unit I have has almost perfect panel alignment. I watch a lot a old films and black and white looking great is one of my priorities.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #115 of 133 Old 12-16-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Between 19 and 24 depending on the lamp and age of the lamp.

I've sure gotten used to that level of brightness myself. " Once you've seen bright, 12 FL don't look right " !!cool.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #116 of 133 Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I've sure gotten used to that level of brightness myself. " Once you've seen bright, 12 FL don't look right " !!cool.gif

I've also become addicted to this.

post #117 of 133 Old 12-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Mark
Is the 515 quoted $45K ?
Can it be sold without it server
post #118 of 133 Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The server is built into the Sony and reportedly the Red and Crimson. The exact price is unknown to me but I have heard from good sources $45K.

No clue as to the Crimson. My guess for the Red (the HT version of the Crimson) will be about bout $15K .I am also guessing still about a year off but I don't know. The Crimson I expect by 2nd Q.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #119 of 133 Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Well Mark there are talking about their 10K project since a long time now !!!! i think 2 years
Have you see it ! i mean not just a box behind a window but a real demo ??
post #120 of 133 Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

It is delayed by two years at least one year as a front projector and a year as rearprojection 3D display at HDI.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page