What is the "Best" projector for a 12 foot wide screen... and a 14 foot wide screen. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, say you've just won the lottery (and therefore cost is not a factor), which PJ do you think is the "Best" for a 12' wide screen in a dedicated HT with complete lighting control?

And which PJ would be the "Best" for a 14' wide screen?

The PJ should do 2D as well as 3D and would be primarily used for satellite HD movies, Blu-Rays, and 3D Blu-Rays. Also, regular DirecTV viewing.

Looking for a jaw-dropping HT experience.

Sincere thanks for any advice or suggestions. And thanks to those who run AVS for this incredible forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
DCI Barco with some modifications. Nothing else comes close. Second-best is a larger 3-chip DLP (we use a DPI Titan Reference in our demo theater on a 12' wide microperfed screen).

DP2K-12C is a good starting point; though a DP2K-19B might be a better overall choice (and I think it might be upgradeable to 4K).

We're in the process of selling our demo Titan to make room for a Barco (possibly through Display Development)...it's really the next logical step.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #3 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 06:19 PM

Whichever one you decide...buy two of them! Use one for 2D and both of them for passive 3D! biggrin.gif
post #4 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Dan, have you seen a Display Development projector in action? I've searched this forum and elsewhere and wasn't able to come up with much, other than DD's website and a press release here and there...

How do you think the Display Development projector compares to the new Sony 4k or a Wolf Ref 1000? Any thoughts on that?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I have seen them in action: at CEDIA this year. I was very impressed! Also, the people involved in the company are the right ones to have- Jim Burs, Pat Bradley, Bobby Grubbs , Scott Varner- these are industry veterans that know how to optimize a projector and an image for home theater.

I'll probably pick up their line as soon as I'm able to pop for a demo unit.

I'm ignorant about the Sony 4k- I've never made the effort to see it ( I learned my lesson with the Qualia about high end Sonys ), and Wolf cinema hasn't interested me since Jim left several years ago- though I believe the big ones are modded Christies.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #6 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterm3732 View Post

Whichever one you decide...buy two of them! Use one for 2D and both of them for passive 3D! biggrin.gif

I'm sure this deserves it's own thread, but as someone who was always in the "passive" camp, I recently saw "Life of Pi" in a theater featuring "active" 3D with Expand (sp?) glasses and it was spectacular. I'm not sure if the technology they used is available for HT, but it was by far the best 3D I've seen. No dimming if you angle your head, clear, sharp, etc. Truly wonderful. Great movie, too.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

DCI Barco with some modifications. Nothing else comes close. Second-best is a larger 3-chip DLP (we use a DPI Titan Reference in our demo theater on a 12' wide microperfed screen).

I would give the Sim2 Cinema 100 a look. It's a consumer unit, so it will just work. No need for mods. I assume the mods void the warranty because of the heat? What CR do you get with the mod, and at what light output? Cinema 100 is specs are >10,000:1 CR and 7,000 lumens.

I haven't seen either yet, so I'm just throwing that out there. My new theater room is still work in progress, but plans call for a 13' screen. Might do 12' or 14', same as OP. Not a lotto winner, so I don't have unlimited funds, but I would like to get something nice and 3D would be a plus.

post #8 of 9 Old 12-04-2012, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

When the cost of the larger consumer units is figured (generally 35-50k for the larger 3 chip machines), one really has to look at these DCI monsters as a viable option- the prices are the same, the optics are better, the chipsets are better, they all include xenon lamps, and they are built to be workhorses so they are more serviceable. The biggest technical challenges are the power requirements and the heat dissipation (you'll typically need an in-line exhaust fan)- oh, that and the fact that they are all pretty much 2 feet by 3 feet by 18" or bigger.

The sim2 cinema 100 is roughly 100 grand: that buys a lot of DCI machine for that price- ( and the Sim is a Christie/Sim collaboration DCI machine ). I'm just saying that at the price-point of these higher-end consumer projectors, there are many serious machines that are comparable.

Not a one size fits all though, since you really can't get Lumis type contrast out of a DCI machine- but the Lumis pales in comparison to DCI in other categories- so the consumer has to decide what's important to them.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #9 of 9 Old 12-04-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Doesn't the SIM2 Lumis SOLO HC include DCI color?
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page