Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #271 of 1884 Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post

On the Levels menu you can adjust the LFE channel (and the others) in .5dB steps, overall plus 10dB to minus 20dB. There is also a -10dB LFE setting on the decoder menu but it does not currently work in all scenarios but Datasat has promised to fix it.
Thanks for the details. Plenty of flexibility!

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1884 Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 AM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Exactly, and that is what I was specifically referring to, the inability to take detailed measurements via a RTA program.

I really don't think it is Dirac's/Datasat's job to replace a full measurement program. What we need is a measurement program more suited to measuring 7.1.

And lo and behold check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs
Quote:
With REW(beta) and ASIO support you can direct a laptop HDMI output to drive any of the eight available PCM channels individually, or two at a time using the timing reference output channel option.

I have not read the thread yet but if this is true it would go a long way to solving our measurement problems.
post #273 of 1884 Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

I really don't think it is Dirac's/Datasat's job to replace a full measurement program. What we need is a measurement program more suited to measuring 7.1.

And lo and behold check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs
I have not read the thread yet but if this is true it would go a long way to solving our measurement problems.

Just read through that thread, that looks like it will solve our problems. I am going to try this tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

post #274 of 1884 Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

OK. I just setup my PC and indeed this new version of REW allows 8 channels to be measured individually with and without Dirac Live engagued. This makes things a lot eaiser to see what exactly is going on in your room. I am going to add this link to the first post for those who may find it useful.

Just took my first couple of sub measurements.

post #275 of 1884 Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
GGA
Advanced Member

This was recently posed on the Official Theta thread:
Quote:
While the current Casablanca allows/requires the user to input delay data, our Dirac module measures the "acoustic" distance of any playback transducers--including any delay added by in-line filters.

Currently for the RS20i we have to manually input distances and levels. Are there any rumors for a new unreleased Dirac Live or has Theta just designed a better implementation?

Any updates when the DD card will be ready?
post #276 of 1884 Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Expect DD cardbto start shipping in March. Dirac already has a 2.0 runtime- it needs to be adapted to RS20i- that's probably a year or so away.

However, that statement sounds to me like impulse response measurement. As time goes on, I see lots of improvements for the RS20i clming down the road; Datasat has been berg responsive to dealer feedback.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH

post #277 of 1884 Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM
GGA
Advanced Member

Thanks Dan.

The DD card must be a real devil to implement.

Not familiar with the term "2.0 runtime." Could you expand?

Datasat has always been responsive to my questions and suggestions during the last two years. Their location is only some 30 minutes from me and they have paid me a couple visits. A very top notch company.
post #278 of 1884 Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
"Not familiar with the term "2.0 runtime." Could you expand?"

Okay, here's the scoop. The Theta people are using a different version of Dirac Live than what is in the Datasat products. Dirac Research calls what is in the Theta Casa their "version 2.0 or V2 runtime". The V2 runtime uses a different configuration GUI than what Datasat uses. The V2 GUI is infact this tool ...

http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx

OEMs such as Theta add custom software to bridge between the Dirac Live application and their hardware. Datasat has been looking at the possibilities of migrating to V2 but as of yet have not made a commitment.

Is Dirac Live V2 better than V1?? Nope, my testing says they produce the same results. The only advantage to V2 is one that is important to the OEM, in that it takes fewer MIPS to process a V2 filter.

Automagically computing delays is in both Dirac Live V1 and V2. Unfortunately it was never implemented in the Datasat AP20/ RS20i. Setting levels automatically is tricky because there are so many things outside of Dirac Live that can affect them. As result I expect you will always need to check them.
post #279 of 1884 Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

If the V2 Dirac Live does nothing differently via the eitire room EQ then I am not concerned. In the end you would probably be better off doing your own delays anyway. I would welcome a speed up in the proccessing of the channels when doing measurements. Not that it is really long and it does not bother me that much, it would just be good to do that.

post #280 of 1884 Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
With thanks to Abone from avforums in the UK the following is a picture of the new card for the RS20i:
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75
post #281 of 1884 Old 02-01-2013, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Nice!!! So when will we see this?

post #282 of 1884 Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice!!! So when will we see this?

Soon! I am told they have been released to manufacturing.
post #283 of 1884 Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sounds good Carl!

post #284 of 1884 Old 02-02-2013, 03:36 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quote:
In the end you would probably be better off doing your own delays anyway.

Depending on your setup calculating delays can by tricky as acoustical delays can be quite different from electrical delays. It is a shame that Dirac cannot even display the delays so that one could manually input them.

Ceenhad recommends using the delay feature in REW, which will work fine, but forces you to do another set of measurements. OTOH using REW with HDMI will allow you determine delays with all the eqs applied and will also allow you to set levels accurately.
post #285 of 1884 Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

New software has been released but unfortunately the release notes are not available.

http://www.datasatdigital.com/docs/cinema/download.php?doc_pid=916&doc_cid=895

Wonder what they did?
post #286 of 1884 Old 02-02-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Depending on your setup calculating delays can by tricky as acoustical delays can be quite different from electrical delays. It is a shame that Dirac cannot even display the delays so that one could manually input them.

Ceenhad recommends using the delay feature in REW, which will work fine, but forces you to do another set of measurements. OTOH using REW with HDMI will allow you determine delays with all the eqs applied and will also allow you to set levels accurately.
How can you determine your delays in REW? I got the HDMI working and it is amazing what Dirac filters do for the room.

And my RS20i is not able to access the main server, I wonder why?

post #287 of 1884 Old 02-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yo can determine delays in REW by using the loopback function. If you run a doubler from your rs20i outputs one end goes to your poweramp as usual and the other end of the doubler goes back to the REW soundcard.

When you make a measurement it will tell you the time difference between the signal leaving your rs20i ( the loop back informs REW exactly when the signal was sent) then REW picks up the signal from the speakers via your mic and then calculates the distance.

And big thanks to the datasat team for the latest firmware update.

This has rectified a few issues I was having with my unit.

I can now get dts neo6 on a DD2.0 stream. And also am now able to matrix the stereo analogue inputs to not just sides but also rears, which before I could not achieve.
post #288 of 1884 Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 75
One situation I would not rely on measured delays from REW is for subs. AFAIK REW uses peak of the impulse response to determine time delay which may not give best integration for subs. For all other channels it should be fine.

. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #289 of 1884 Old 02-04-2013, 04:36 PM

Datasat have provided their release notes for the latest software update:

1. A fix was made to correct an issue with a DSP1 error when Dirac software is started.
2. Resets the bass management after a Dirac setup process.
3. Copy side surrounds to rear surrounds with nonsync
4. Plays DD2.0 with neo6
5. No longer reboots in case progamming hsr fails. Added error boxes when hsr program instead. This avoids an
endless reboot cycle that has been known to occur on at least one unit.
6. Update for HSR5. Firmware Release 39, Version 11, Rev3. (MDS Released version based off of Rev2)
a. - Minor adjustments to HDCP Authentication behavior.
b. - Minor fix to EDID parsing issue (extremely rare).

In respect to the point 2 fix - I assume it still means we should turn off bass management when running Dirac but it simply turns it back on after completion?
post #290 of 1884 Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

"In respect to the point 2 fix - I assume it still means we should turn off bass management when running Dirac but it simply turns it back on after completion?"

My habit (as a best practice) is to make a point to turn BM OFF when doing a Dirac config and back ON when I am done. That way I make no assumptions and know for sure whether or not BM is running.
post #291 of 1884 Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM

Thx Carl, as you note - best not to ass/u/me and be safe rather than sorry!
post #292 of 1884 Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

Datasat have provided their release notes for the latest software update:

6. Update for HSR5. Firmware Release 39, Version 11, Rev3. (MDS Released version based off of Rev2)
a. - Minor adjustments to HDCP Authentication behavior.

I wonder if this had something to do with iRule (IP gatway) not communicating with the RS20i intermittently?

post #293 of 1884 Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Damm thing won't connect to the server and I can't download it via USB either, every time I try to download the file from DataSat I get an error. What is going on?

post #294 of 1884 Old 02-05-2013, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same problem here!

Also disappointed that a fix for the fan wasn't included...
post #295 of 1884 Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM

Download/update by usb went without a hitch for me.
post #296 of 1884 Old 02-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hmmm, most odd. Update via main server was complete, without problem, in under 5 mins.
post #297 of 1884 Old 02-05-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A little off the current topic, what is the recomendations for cleaning the dust out of the RS20i? I am assuming it is similar internals to a PC and dust sure won't do it much good, plus I can see a fair bit of dust collection around the fan.

post #298 of 1884 Old 02-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A little off the current topic, what is the recomendations for cleaning the dust out of the RS20i? I am assuming it is similar internals to a PC and dust sure won't do it much good, plus I can see a fair bit of dust collection around the fan.

If you see a lot of build-up you can pop the cover off (with the power disconnected of course) and wipe the fan blades with a moist towelette. The towelettes that I am describing are the ones that come in the foil wrapper that are intended to clean your hands. Avoid using compressed air (or even can spray air) on the circuit boards as you don't want to drive particulate into the chips shorting their pins to one another.

Buildup on the fan will make it less efficient moving air. And that will cause the fan to run faster and louder.
post #299 of 1884 Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:

IIRC I think I read in the manual that you could lightly vacuum at the vents to clear dust.
post #300 of 1884 Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 169
This is probably not the thread for this question but has anyone used the software version of Dirac that can run on a PC based music server?

R 8:28

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page