Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 256Likes

post #3121 of 3136 Old Today, 03:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
I'd really like to hear your impressions of those movie clips where Demo A is with native Atmos, and Demo B is upmixed with Auro, Joe - if you have the time and inclination to try it out?
We did them. Starting with Demo-B first the main knock on it was if it wasn't in Auro the Top was in complete silence. The other was it seems more of the center was spread to the mains which made it feel less natural. For that reason alone Dolby Surround was the choice for sports and regular TV programming. For Movies with an Atmos soundtrack coming in it is terrific. There won't be a disappointed person out there. The presentation is well balanced and Atmos shines. Adding Auromatic brings the Top speaker to life. Atmos with Auro-Matic is a perfect one two punch. And that goes for both units!

Demo-A with Atmos sounds amazing. But the knock here is you lose the Top speaker or the backs depending on which configuration you choose (5.1.6 or 7.1.4). Yes we can mirror to emulate the Height Rears or Front Heights but that is obviously less natural. And I was trying to keep them at even ground. Through experimenting and I was going to save it for my Review I am so far favoring Atmos 5.1.6 configuration and then mirroring the backs with the Rear Heights (left and rights). For Atmos soundtracks this is awesome. Everything else I obviously just Auro-Matic it. Which you can wih an Atmos soundtrack with awesome results as well.

I am anxious to see how DTS:X is going to be. Sound and configuration wise.
westmd likes this.

4K or nothing!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3136 Old Today, 04:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Great write up! Not surprised by the RS-20i's performance. IT's truly a reference piece.

Thanks!
joerod likes this.

It's back!! Wine of the Week! This week the Catalunyan Equilibrista. I wonderful, full bodied blend from Spain that drinks at twice the price. Tried a bottle and bought a case! Priced right! $28

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon
post #3123 of 3136 Old Today, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Atmos with Auro-Matic is a perfect one two punch. And that goes for both units!
Sorry Joe, just to clarify, are you saying the RS20i will allow Auromatic to be applied to a native Atmos decoded mix - I was under the impression it could only be applied to the standard 7.1 mix (i.e. without the object based Atmos decoding)?
post #3124 of 3136 Old Today, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
I'd really like to hear your impressions of those movie clips where Demo A is with native Atmos, and Demo B is upmixed with Auro, Joe - if you have the time and inclination to try it out?
Won't be close [at least to my ears]. AuroMatic, while liked by many, does nothing but play copies of the base level speaker at reduced trims and some delays. All you need to do to hear it is turn off the base level speakers. Nothing that sounds like discreet placement of sounds.

Doesn't mean some won't like it better, but I sure don't.

I did this comparison on another processor but next week my RS20i should be here with both Auro and Atmos (hopefully), and I will eventually be able to do the comparison again.

Our Theater

FS: Audyssey Pro Kit

Obsessed is just a word the ill-informed use to describe the dedicated

Last edited by audioguy; Today at 05:58 AM.
post #3125 of 3136 Old Today, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 810
I like the writeup as well. I loved the analogy of the 160 putting you in a commercial theater and the RS20i putting you in the venue of the scene.

The RS20i is a great piece. And as long as you don't want to do something like 11.x.12, then I can not imagine ever needing anything more. I would love for someone to do an A/B like Joe did but with the RS20i and the Trinnov on the more typical home theater configuration of something like 7.2.4?

I will loan them my switcher/comparator box!!
CINERAMAX and jlcichocki like this.

Our Theater

FS: Audyssey Pro Kit

Obsessed is just a word the ill-informed use to describe the dedicated

Last edited by audioguy; Today at 05:56 AM.
post #3126 of 3136 Old Today, 06:38 AM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
What is your speaker layout Joe that you are able to add more auromatic channels over atmos? What speakers are lit up additionally by this interesting hogepodge?
post #3127 of 3136 Old Today, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Great write up! Not surprised by the RS-20i's performance. IT's truly a reference piece.

Thanks!
Thank you.

I forgot to mention The Wedding Ringer.

Demo A- Doug falls through his desk you hear every shard of broken glass as it breaks then hits the floor. Feels like it happened in the same room with you. As he yells for help he really sounds like he is in your house somewhere. Also followed by intro at the Wedding a Reception with the chorus Tonight's going to be a good night... You hear the crowd perfectly yell YEAH as they're singing along with the song. Right above you as if you were sitting at a table watching a drunk fun crowd. Which reminds me we have 5 weddings coming up!

Demo B- definitely not bad just not as detailed. Clarity is strong and again it's like you're at a venue not your home. If I didn't do an A/B I would be in bliss with it. Just compared to Demo A it's close at times other just not up there.

And as my Wife pointed out. If we kept the Demo B unit I will always wonder what this or that would have sounded like with the Demo A unit. It is a curse. Lol

grtuck likes this.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3128 of 3136 Old Today, 06:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
What is your speaker layout Joe that you are able to add more auromatic channels over atmos? What speakers are lit up additionally by this interesting hogepodge?
My latest equipment:

Sony VPL-VW665ES, McIntosh MX160 A/V Processor, Datasat RS20i pre-pro & RA7300 AMP (Fronts, Center, Sides & Backs), DarbeeVision DVP-5100CIE, DVDO Mini 4K Scaler, DirecTV 4K Genie, Xbox One, Sony FMP-X1 4K server, Monster Power HTS 5100, Oppo 103D Blu ray, Value View 3D glasses, Parasound HALO A51 AMP (Heights & TOP), Antec Component Coolers, Vutec SilverStar Curved 3D Screen, Speakers: MARTIN LOGAN STAGE X Center, THEOS (Left and Right), VANQUISH (HEIGHTS & ATMOS & T), AXIS (Backs), Subwoofers- Martin Logan BalancedForce 212 X 2, Dayton APA150 Sub AMP x 2, 8 Aura Pro Bass Shakers, 8 Black Seatcraft Venetian Home Theater Chairs (with Raffel Integrated Lighted Cup Holders), Remote: Harmony 1100. Monster 1000 HDX Ultimate HDMI cables top to bottom. And two Monster 35 foot HDX Hyperspeed HDMI cables...
CINERAMAX likes this.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3129 of 3136 Old Today, 07:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

I am running a 12.3 set up. With a Top in the middle and front Heights and Rear Heights. The others are pretty much the normal layout. Well, normal to us.

westmd likes this.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3130 of 3136 Old Today, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
I am running a 12.3 set up. With a Top in the middle and front Heights and Rear Heights. The others are pretty much the normal layout. Well, normal to us.

How did you get 5.x.6 with this configuration?
post #3131 of 3136 Old Today, 10:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
How did you get 5.x.6 with this configuration?
Not sure what you mean. I did speaker configuration with the old fashioned 5, then added the 6 over head. I lied with the top middles and made them work with with my one top VOG. I also mirrored backs. With rear heights. As good as this sounds so far we favor adding Auro-Matic. Just seems easier too. This is an example of the flexibility I love with the RS20i when it comes to speaker config.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3132 of 3136 Old Today, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. I did speaker configuration with the old fashioned 5, then added the 6 over head. I lied with the top middles and made them work with with my one top VOG. I also mirrored backs. With rear heights. As good as this sounds so far we favor adding Auro-Matic. Just seems easier too. This is an example of the flexibility I love with the RS20i when it comes to speaker config.
So how does 'adding' Auromatic to native Atmos work?
post #3133 of 3136 Old Today, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
So how does 'adding' Auromatic to native Atmos work?
Select Atmos in the set up menu of the Blu-ray. Then process it with Auro-Matic. Either way both sound awesome. I still plan to do more testing with the RS20i alone now and see which speaker config is best for movies and go with it. The Atmos card is a great addition since it gives you more options. Also will be able to add DTS: X which might trump everything anyway.
westmd likes this.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3134 of 3136 Old Today, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Select Atmos in the set up menu of the Blu-ray. Then process it with Auro-Matic. Either way both sound awesome. I still plan to do more testing with the RS20i alone now and see which speaker config is best for movies and go with it. The Atmos card is a great addition since it gives you more options. Also will be able to add DTS: X which might trump everything anyway.
So in theory what Auromatic does in that case is only to add VOG and center height if present as all other speakers are driven by Atmos itself, correct?
post #3135 of 3136 Old Today, 10:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
So in theory what Auromatic does in that case is only to add VOG and center height if present as all other speakers are driven by Atmos itself, correct?
From our ears yes. Of course once you start using a Top or VOG speaker it is very difficult to go away from it. Definitely adds to the flow of a movie soundtrack. Atmos on its own sounds great too but we have to Doctor the speaker configuration to make them all work.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3136 of 3136 Old Today, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
From our ears yes. Of course once you start using a Top or VOG speaker it is very difficult to go away from it. Definitely adds to the flow of a movie soundtrack. Atmos on its own sounds great too but we have to Doctor the speaker configuration to make them all work.
It is an interesting move from Datasat to combine Auromatic with Atmos. It really seems to making up for the missing 7.1.6 for the time being!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page