Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 267Likes

post #3151 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Dirac is input channel based.
Interestingly it's output channel based when using the MinuDSP's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 231
So after another long night into the morning I was able to make up my mind which I like best. I have relabeled my speaker names.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1234273  

4K or nothing!!!
post #3153 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
So after another long night into the morning I was able to make up my mind which I like best. I have relabeled my speaker names.
In 7.1.4 or 5.1.6?
post #3154 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
In 7.1.4 or 5.1.6?
It sounds more natural this way after going back and forth for a few hours.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	56
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1234281  
westmd likes this.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3155 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It sounds more natural this way after going back and forth for a few hours.
What is the difference to configuring front and back to height instead of top?
post #3156 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

I know it looks like a complicated calculus problem but this is another large feather in the Datasat's hat. I can easily switch the configuration back and forth with ease. Utilizing my 12.3 set up I am able to make Atmos work and Surround as well. I can't knock Auro since I have enjoyed it to this day but with no title support and Auro-Matic being its one trick pony it is time to move forward. After our evaluation we agree the soundtracks with Atmos seem more natural.

Now let's get DTS: X here already so we can take a break!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	31
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1234289  

4K or nothing!!!
post #3157 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
What is the difference to configuring front and back to height instead of top?
The issue I kept coming across is doing 12.3 left me with one Top speaker in the center of the room. It would have been easier had we just did two. So selecting 7 Atmos makes me have to lie for the Top and assign it with another speaker that would not normally be there. Best bet is to go with two Top Middle configuration and mirror them.
Now my Backs I have mirrored with my Rear Tops. They are close to each other so the difference is negligent. Very happy to have the Atmos card. To our ears the RS20i has improved.
NextLevel217 likes this.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3158 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Once you get them all labeled life is easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	45
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	1234297  
grtuck and NextLevel217 like this.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3159 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

One more pic...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	40
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1234313  
NextLevel217 likes this.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3160 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 436
It seems the consensus (from all I've seen and read) that 6 heights would give a better experience
Seems like Joe has certainly come to that conclusion as well. It is great the Datasat gives some leeway in that regard..

Good stuff!
joerod likes this.

It's back!! Wine of the Week! This week the Catalunyan Equilibrista. I wonderful, full bodied blend from Spain that drinks at twice the price. Tried a bottle and bought a case! Priced right! $28

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon
post #3161 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One more pic...
Sorry what I meant was that Atmos allows in total 5 different height pairs:
Rear Height, Top Rear, Top Middle, Top Front and Front Height. Now I read a view about assigning eg the Rears either as Rear Height or as Top Rear (without vhanging physically the speakers anyhow). The effect is apparently that one and the same speaker sounds differntly when configured as Rear Height then as top rear. Question is if you tested this?
post #3162 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Height seems more like directly above your fronts on the wall. My Heights are in the ceiling so they just sound better under the class Top Front. Same for my Rears. Being in the ceiling and not on the wall Top makes more sense. And yes I originally had it on Height which after changing we all liked it better as a Top. The Shower moment in Sicario immediately made anyone in the room feel like they were in the restroom with Emily B.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3163 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Does the "Atmos board" contain Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro-3D or is there a separate board for each one of them?

Secondly, I noticed people are saying they got better sound out of the RS20i when the Atmos board was installed. Did the new board really improve the sound quality or was it something else?
post #3164 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Height seems more like directly above your fronts on the wall. My Heights are in the ceiling so they just sound better under the class Top Front. Same for my Rears. Being in the ceiling and not on the wall Top makes more sense. And yes I originally had it on Height which after changing we all liked it better as a Top. The Shower moment in Sicario immediately made anyone in the room feel like they were in the restroom with Emily B.

Which in ceiling speakers do you use?
post #3165 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I have a crazy feeling DTS: X will bridge the gap between Auro-3D and Atmos and be the one. And hopefully they don't make Datasat wait an extra 6 months to approve. As good as Atmos does sound and since history usually repeats itself DTS will most likely surpass it. As long as it accommodates my Top without losing others it will already be a winner at our place....
DTSX. For now, is only 7.1.4.. No top /VOG type speakers. Just front and back heights.
post #3166 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Which in ceiling speakers do you use?
ML Vanquish.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3167 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post
DTSX. For now, is only 7.1.4.. No top /VOG type speakers. Just front and back heights.
Bastards!

I was under the assumption they had said theirs would fit any Auro or Atmos set up. It was that flexible. Let's hope Datasat will come to the rescue with the RS20i.

4K or nothing!!!
post #3168 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

We'll it does fit the auro setup with the heights front and back being in the same position. And it's no surprise that the layout is somewhat similar, as auro have been mixing down DTS MDA objects into their channels for sometime.
post #3169 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Does the "Atmos board" contain Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro-3D or is there a separate board for each one of them?

Secondly, I noticed people are saying they got better sound out of the RS20i when the Atmos board was installed. Did the new board really improve the sound quality or was it something else?
So I did a bit of research and noticed the RS20i has 3 slots for expansion/add-in cards. I'm I right in guessing that there is one card for Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro-3D (because if there was one for each format, there goes the future upgradability )?

One more thing...

I was set on the 16-channel Altitude32 for my new 7.x.4 proposed home theater. However, the more I think about it (or remember what I've researched), the sound quality is one thing about the RS20i that no one has ever said they were disappointed about. All rave its sound quality. I have read some feedback where some people did not like the Altitude32's sound for whatever reason. But then these two are so configurable that making changes to the sound should not be an issue? Still, knowing no one has been disappointed by the RS20i's sound puts me at ease (and even in favor towards it because great sound is obviously the ultimate goal).

Then there's Dirac vs. Trinnov's room correction. Has anyone made any comparisons?
post #3170 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I did a bit of research and noticed the RS20i has 3 slots for expansion/add-in cards. I'm I right in guessing that there is one card for Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro-3D (because if there was one for each format, there goes the future upgradability )?

One more thing...

I was set on the 16-channel Altitude32 for my new 7.x.4 proposed home theater. However, the more I think about it (or remember what I've researched), the sound quality is one thing about the RS20i that no one has ever said they were disappointed about. All rave its sound quality. I have read some feedback where some people did not like the Altitude32's sound for whatever reason. But then these two are so configurable that making changes to the sound should not be an issue? Still, knowing no one has been disappointed by the RS20i's sound puts me at ease (and even in favor towards it because great sound is obviously the ultimate goal).

Then there's Dirac vs. Trinnov's room correction. Has anyone made any comparisons?
Luckily, you are not correct. The new decoder card does ALL codecs. So once the new one is installed and you have enabled auro via the key, then you'll have all codecs and 2 more expansion slots for the future.

I've not made direct comparison between Dirac and trinnov, but I have had a trinnov mc in my room. I prefer Dirac as it stands, but the rest of the chain is different now so I say take with a pinch of salt. At the end of the day both algorithms are very very good!
post #3171 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Just to add to what Nick has said, the Atmos card is specifically for Atmos and Dts:X. If you didn't want the atmos card for whatever reason, you could still enable Auro 3D via a key.

I'll add to the sound quality debate..the audio quality is immense.
joerod likes this.

21inch hitachi
post #3172 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobjimbob View Post
Just to add to what Nick has said, the Atmos card is specifically for Atmos and Dts:X. If you didn't want the atmos card for whatever reason, you could still enable Auro 3D via a key.

I'll add to the sound quality debate..the audio quality is immense.
+1

It's back!! Wine of the Week! This week the Catalunyan Equilibrista. I wonderful, full bodied blend from Spain that drinks at twice the price. Tried a bottle and bought a case! Priced right! $28

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon
post #3173 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

One more thing...

Have never heard the Trinnov and do love the sound of the RS20i but would suggest that if the Altitude's sound is good (most likely I would suggest) then the Altitude does offer more. This includes the remapping feature, full Atmos capability, upgradable channel count and greater opportunity for future codecs.
post #3174 of 3175 Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

I know eventually soon I need to stop experimenting and just enjoy the movies. Through more experimenting I also liking what I am hearing so far mirroring the Backs with the Surrounds. With more and more 7.1 soundtracks out there this this configuration has yielded excellent results so far.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	11
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1235641  

4K or nothing!!!
post #3175 of 3175 Old Today, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
As far as I understood the RS20 support 6 height channels if the bed is reduced to 5!
Atmos is based on 7 bed channels so this loses 2 channels. Not really acceptable in my eyes. Where do the back surrounds go? Dropped or mixed into other channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)