Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 358Likes

post #3181 of 3515 Old 02-10-2016, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Is the Atmos board now released or not? When can I have one???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3515 Old 02-10-2016, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post
Is the Atmos board now released or not? When can I have one???
It IS released. See 3 posts up. Call your dealer. I received my new RS20i yesterday and it has the Atmos board.

Our Theater

Psalm 51
post #3183 of 3515 Old 02-10-2016, 04:58 AM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaG View Post
Possible future DataSat owner here. I have a 9.x.4 layout currently with front wide (not height), four Atmos ceiling speakers, and 5 subwoofers planned. Will I be able to use the wide configuration with the DataSat with Atmos and DTSX?

Thanks ...
Not in atmos you can only have 12 channels total, dtsx who knows.
post #3184 of 3515 Old 02-10-2016, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaG View Post
Possible future DataSat owner here. I have a 9.x.4 layout currently with front wide (not height), four Atmos ceiling speakers, and 5 subwoofers planned. Will I be able to use the wide configuration with the DataSat with Atmos and DTSX?

Thanks ...
Use? Yes. Discrete channels? No. The RS20i allows you to make use of lots of channels by copying. For example, you could copy side surrounds to rear surrounds. If you want LOTS of discrete channel, apparently Trinnov is the way to go. JoeRod posted earlier how he is using this feature with his RS20i. I only have a 7.x.4 system so not an issue.

Our Theater

Psalm 51
post #3185 of 3515 Old 02-10-2016, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Ise 2016 wisdom - Datasat demo was outstanding!
The synthesis and Triad demo's were also very good. But not in champions league, also more comfortable price point.

The setup used 6 ceiling speakers all configured as top middle left/ right Atmos speakers. 6 surrounds, 3 subs and lcr. Docking scene from Interstellar was exceptional.

I use the exact same speaker setup as used in the b&w Demo. But with Parasound and Rs20i instead of classe with Trinnov. I must say it sounds way better at home...

Dolby Atmos trailer from the Star Wars game battlefront was also impressive with Steinway Lingdorf.

Last but not least, 4K Barco was top. Only the 250k...
grtuck likes this.
post #3186 of 3515 Old 02-10-2016, 12:03 PM

post #3187 of 3515 Old 02-10-2016, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathbovy View Post
The Ise 2016 wisdom - Datasat demo was outstanding!
The synthesis and Triad demo's were also very good. But not in champions league, also more comfortable price point.

The setup used 6 ceiling speakers all configured as top middle left/ right Atmos speakers. 6 surrounds, 3 subs and lcr. Docking scene from Interstellar was exceptional.

I use the exact same speaker setup as used in the b&w Demo. But with Parasound and Rs20i instead of classe with Trinnov. I must say it sounds way better at home...

Dolby Atmos trailer from the Star Wars game battlefront was also impressive with Steinway Lingdorf.

How large were the rooms? They look huge from the posted photos.

Our Theater

Psalm 51
post #3188 of 3515 Old 02-10-2016, 12:20 PM

The wisdom cinema was 6x7m Inside.
post #3189 of 3515 Old 02-10-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Now that's a room!

It's back!! Wine of the Week! Clos Martinet Tinto, Priorat DOCa, Spain ~$60. If you've not had a good Priorat, you've not truly tried Spain's smallest, yet most unique terroir.
My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon
post #3190 of 3515 Old 02-10-2016, 01:10 PM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Well the secret is the 6p laser (even in 2d) that color is something we have all seen in real life before, not possible with any other projector, you may see similar colors in OLED.

Go check out the alcons theater.
post #3191 of 3515 Old 02-11-2016, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Trying to set up Atmos and am confused about optional decoders. I do have the Atmos card and the latest software revision.

The attached screen dump shows the available options but it does not say "Atmos" and the normal Dolby PL?? are not shown. Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 8.35.08 AM.png
Views:	87
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	1245777  

Our Theater

Psalm 51
post #3192 of 3515 Old 02-11-2016, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Trying to set up Atmos and am confused about optional decoders. I do have the Atmos card and the latest software revision.

The attached screen dump shows the available options but it does not say "Atmos" and the normal Dolby PL?? are not shown. Is this normal?
That screen simply looks like the default post-process mode for that particular input - now with more choices!!

It's back!! Wine of the Week! Clos Martinet Tinto, Priorat DOCa, Spain ~$60. If you've not had a good Priorat, you've not truly tried Spain's smallest, yet most unique terroir.
post #3193 of 3515 Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
That screen simply looks like the default post-process mode for that particular input - now with more choices!!
I am trying to set up the post process and those are the only choices I am given. I have a question into Datasat to find out if I am on track or not!

Our Theater

Psalm 51
post #3194 of 3515 Old 02-11-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am trying to set up the post process and those are the only choices I am given. I have a question into Datasat to find out if I am on track or not!
IT says your speaker configuration is Atmos 7.1 - Shouldn't you have it set to Atmos 7.1.4 (I assume there's an option for that)?? IF you're truly set to simply 7.1, your choices would be limited (of course).

post #3195 of 3515 Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

That screen looks fine as far as it goes. You have selected an Atmos speaker configuration (atmos7.1) so you will get an Atmos decode, provided that you select either "None" or DSU as the postprocessor. If you have height and/or top speakers they need to be configured in the Atmos Speaker configuration menu. (press button near the upper middle of main bass management screen).

Note that DPL/DPL2/DPL2z/DPLx have all been replaced by Dolby Surround Upmixer and are no longer available.
post #3196 of 3515 Old 02-11-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyre View Post
That screen looks fine as far as it goes. You have selected an Atmos speaker configuration (atmos7.1) so you will get an Atmos decode, provided that you select either "None" or DSU as the postprocessor. If you have height and/or top speakers they need to be configured in the Atmos Speaker configuration menu. (press button near the upper middle of main bass management screen).

Note that DPL/DPL2/DPL2z/DPLx have all been replaced by Dolby Surround Upmixer and are no longer available.
That is what I just learned. Thanks for your post. I do have it set correctly but since I have no documentation on what it is supposed to look like, I was confused.

Thanks again.

Our Theater

Psalm 51
post #3197 of 3515 Old 02-11-2016, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
That is what I just learned. Thanks for your post. I do have it set correctly but since I have no documentation on what it is supposed to look like, I was confused.

Thanks again.
I'm trying to follow along. What exactly was the confusion?
post #3198 of 3515 Old 02-11-2016, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
I'm trying to follow along. What exactly was the confusion?
The available choices for Post Processing were: None, Dolby Surround, and DTS (something). It did not list Atmos as a choice (unlike my Marantz). Atmos is automatically used for an Atmos disc and Dolby Surround (aka DSU in the Marantz/Denon world) will up mix non-Atmos movies (if that is the Post Processor selected).

Our Theater

Psalm 51
post #3199 of 3515 Old 02-11-2016, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
The available choices for Post Processing were: None, Dolby Surround, and DTS (something). It did not list Atmos as a choice (unlike my Marantz). Atmos is automatically used for an Atmos disc and Dolby Surround (aka DSU in the Marantz/Denon world) will up mix non-Atmos movies (if that is the Post Processor selected).
Thanks. So you will set it up this way one time and leave it, or does it require changing based on the content you'll be playing?

Also am I correct to assume the DataSat supports OSD over HDMI, so you can make such configuration changes without being at the rack, and so that you can check version options/settings during playback to make sure the right speakers and settings are engaged as expected?
post #3200 of 3515 Old 02-11-2016, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Thanks. So you will set it up this way one time and leave it, or does it require changing based on the content you'll be playing?
I will be able to answer that better once DTS shows up. But that is the way I used my Marantz and how I will use the RS20i.

Quote:
Also am I correct to assume the DataSat supports OSD over HDMI, so you can make such configuration changes without being at the rack, and so that you can check version options/settings during playback to make sure the right speakers and settings are engaged as expected?
Not exactly. From a PC or iPad you can use a VNC viewer and do everything you would do sitting in front of the RS20i. I never use the front panel.

Our Theater

Psalm 51
post #3201 of 3515 Old 02-12-2016, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Control4 Access

Anyone using Control4 to manage the RS20i? Did you get the interface from Control4 or elsewhere?

The dealer I am using (Datasat and Control4) has an RS232 interface but is less than stellar.

Our Theater

Psalm 51
post #3202 of 3515 Old 02-12-2016, 10:24 AM

I Use c4 with the rs20i with a ip driver. I van mail it to you if you want.
post #3203 of 3515 Old 02-12-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I Use c4 with the rs20i with a ip driver. I van mail it to you if you want.
That would be great. Did you develop it or did someone else?

PM will be sent with my email address.

Our Theater

Psalm 51
post #3204 of 3515 Old 02-12-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone used any of the miniDSP's to control multiple subs sitting between the RS20i and the subs? I use it to set trim and distance as well as do some PEQ's and shelf filters. I have tried to run Dirac on 3 different computers -2 Macs and a PC and get the same result each time. The individual channel corrections look fine, but when looking at an entire frequency sweep with bass management turned on, the bass is down about 15db's. (You read that correct). Same for all channels. Worked perfectly using my Marantz 7702.

When I was borrowing my first RS20i, I did not have the miniDSP in place, and everything worked fine. And can't image why this is occurring but wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with this.

I am using the OpenDRC-AN.

Our Theater

Psalm 51
post #3205 of 3515 Old 02-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Has anyone used any of the miniDSP's to control multiple subs sitting between the RS20i and the subs? I use it to set trim and distance as well as do some PEQ's and shelf filters. I have tried to run Dirac on 3 different computers -2 Macs and a PC and get the same result each time. The individual channel corrections look fine, but when looking at an entire frequency sweep with bass management turned on, the bass is down about 15db's. (You read that correct). Same for all channels. Worked perfectly using my Marantz 7702.

When I was borrowing my first RS20i, I did not have the miniDSP in place, and everything worked fine. And can't image why this is occurring but wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with this.

I am using the OpenDRC-AN.
I am using the MiniDSP between the LS10 and my two subs. Have Dirac'ed them indinvidually (though wanted to try to run them togetber as they have the same distance from the MLP). I used +10dB on the two sub channels in the Datasat as recommended by MiniDSP. I do get a very good rsult, bass is spot on and in the right level in comparison to the rest of the speakers!
post #3206 of 3515 Old 02-12-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
I am using the MiniDSP between the LS10 and my two subs. Have Dirac'ed them indinvidually (though wanted to try to run them togetber as they have the same distance from the MLP). I used +10dB on the two sub channels in the Datasat as recommended by MiniDSP. I do get a very good rsult, bass is spot on and in the right level in comparison to the rest of the speakers!
Are you running Dirac in the LS10 or the miniDSP? If the subs are the same distance from the MLP, there is only upside to run them a one, so I'm curious why you do it the way you do.

If you are running Dirac in the LS10, do you set the +10db's after running Dirac?

I am very curious as to exactly what you are doing as I would like to keep using the miniDSP. Thanks for your help.

Our Theater

Psalm 51

Last edited by audioguy; 02-13-2016 at 04:55 AM.
post #3207 of 3515 Old 02-13-2016, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Are you running Dirac in the LS10 or the miniDSP? If the subs are the same distance from the MLP, there is only upside to run them a one, so I'm curious why you do it the way you do.

If you are running Dirac in the LS10, do you set the +10db's after running Dirac?

I am very curious as to exactly what you are doing as I would like to keep using the miniDSP. Thanks for your help.
I don't have Dirac (yet) in the LS10. When I applied the DIRAC I set the two subs as individual speakers as I used the L/R option in the LS10 bass management and wanted to keep that all the way to the speakers. In the meantine I was also in contact with MiniDSP and realized it make more sense to run them as one. I did not get around to do so as I am waiting for Atmos availability and having everything to run again anyway.
So the way I used the MiniDSP was that I set level output and channel delay to 0 in the LS10. I then ran DIRAC in the MiniDSP. First for the front stage then for the backstage. Then I set the two subwoofers in the LS10 t +10dB and all speakers on the backstage for delay and level in the LS10 to match the frontstage. Depending on the price Datasat wants for the DIRAC upgrade i will decide whether to go for it or not. I migh go for nternal Diraac and one MiniDSP just for flexibility of the channels.
mmaplan likes this.
post #3208 of 3515 Old 02-15-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I am making NO progress.

I have now run Dirac for my new RS20i on two different computers multiple times: One on a Mac running the Mac version of Dirac 2 and the other a PC also running Dirac 2. In both cases, when I play any LFE signal (e.g from the most recent Dolby Atmos test disc) and switch between Bass Management on and off, the LFE level changes 22db!!!! It does not do this using the internal RS20i test signals.

I have used both of these PC's doing other RS20i calibrations and had none of these issues. To say that I am at a loss would be a massive understatement.

Anyone have any ideas? Dirac also seem to randomly put "10" in each channels output level and if I have selected the button to use "apply delays", it also shows its adjustment to the levels. This is what it is supposed to do but the levels, with respect to the LFE level are still off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 4.35.15 PM.png
Views:	67
Size:	574.9 KB
ID:	1255817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 4.36.11 PM.png
Views:	59
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	1255825  

Our Theater

Psalm 51
post #3209 of 3515 Old 02-15-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Was re-running DIRAC necessary for the Atmos update?

post #3210 of 3515 Old 02-15-2016, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Dirac also seem to randomly put "10" in each channels output level
Contact support at Datasat regarding this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

taboola here