Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 441Likes

post #3811 of 3819 Old Today, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
The external hardware is a no-brainer. The trick is getting access to the Datasat/Dirac software that will run on your PC or Mac. Some have had success with the miniDSP mic and the mic calibration file. I use a much more expensive mic [same manufacturer] than comes with the Datasat software because I have had it for 20+ years --- and had it recalibrate and got a new cal file [which is close to worthless since the mic is less than plus or minus 1/2 db!!]. I also purchased for less than $100 a mic preamp. As I said, you need to find a way to purchase JUST the software - and you may find that very problematic. Very!!
Thanx for the input!

Unfortunately in my case the external hardware is not a no-brainer for me at least... so any input here would be appreciated, ie model numbers etc.

I come from a Tact TCS mkiii where all hardware was provided but the software was an utter nightmare...

I will then go hunting for the Dirac/Datasat software provided I have an idea of what hardware to get

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3819 Old Today, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 52
IIRC there was a post in this thread that provided full details of what the Datasat Installer kit provided. In respect to hardware and excluding things like cables, mic stand and case then the key components are a Sound Devices USBpre2, Earthworks M series microphone (M23 or M30) and a Rosewill wireless router.
post #3813 of 3819 Old Today, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfunder View Post
Thanx for the input!

Unfortunately in my case the external hardware is not a no-brainer for me at least... so any input here would be appreciated, ie model numbers etc.

I come from a Tact TCS mkiii where all hardware was provided but the software was an utter nightmare...

I will then go hunting for the Dirac/Datasat software provided I have an idea of what hardware to get

Regards
The TacT hardware software a lot to be desired as well. In the unit I had, the channels were mapped incorrectly!! So I returned it. I loved the regular TacT 2.0 unit and was a dealer for them for a while.

Forgetting what the Dirac kit provides, here is what you need:

(1) A USB mic with a calibration file. miniDSP makes one for about $75.00. While I have not used a USB mic on the RS20i, there are others who have posted that it has worked for them.

OR

(2) A regular mic, also with a calibration file, and a USB mic preamp.

Of course you will need a mic stand, cables, etc.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY (and outside of what you would get from Datasat), you will need some measurement software - something like REW or OmniMic. While other might argue differently, doing a calibration on the RS20i and no measurement software won't get you even close to what the product is capable of. No way to accurately check SPL levels (Dirac still has a bug in it that will often mess those settings up); no way to set any PEQ's or high or low pass filers accurately; and while Dirac does a better job than Audyssey on setting delays, you still need measurement software if you have multiple subs that are not placed asymmetrically to the MLP - and sometimes you need it if the subs are placed symmetrically.
post #3814 of 3819 Old Today, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Question for RS20i owners:

I recently experienced a random reboot issue with my LS10. It appears very likely this was due to a brownout in my power system.

I would like to install a UPS to maintain a consistent power supply. However, I want to be careful I choose one that will not affect the sound quality of my LS10.

Do any of you RS20i owners have any recommendations?

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. Datasat RA7300, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #3815 of 3819 Old Today, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Question for RS20i owners:

I recently experienced a random reboot issue with my LS10. It appears very likely this was due to a brownout in my power system.

I would like to install a UPS to maintain a consistent power supply. However, I want to be careful I choose one that will not affect the sound quality of my LS10.

Do any of you RS20i owners have any recommendations?
I use PurePower. Power regeneration, protection, battery backup. My entire front end is on it, including my 7 channel, Class D amp, PS Audio also makes one.
post #3816 of 3819 Old Today, 06:11 PM

Quote:
The TacT hardware software a lot to be desired as well. In the unit I had, the channels were mapped incorrectly!! So I returned it. I loved the regular TacT 2.0 unit and was a dealer for them for a while.

Forgetting what the Dirac kit provides, here is what you need:

(1) A USB mic with a calibration file. miniDSP makes one for about $75.00. While I have not used a USB mic on the RS20i, there are others who have posted that it has worked for them.

OR

(2) A regular mic, also with a calibration file, and a USB mic preamp.

Of course you will need a mic stand, cables, etc.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY (and outside of what you would get from Datasat), you will need some measurement software - something like REW or OmniMic. While other might argue differently, doing a calibration on the RS20i and no measurement software won't get you even close to what the product is capable of. No way to accurately check SPL levels (Dirac still has a bug in it that will often mess those settings up); no way to set any PEQ's or high or low pass filers accurately; and while Dirac does a better job than Audyssey on setting delays, you still need measurement software if you have multiple subs that are not placed asymmetrically to the MLP - and sometimes you need it if the subs are placed symmetrically.
Hi Audioguy, and thanx for all your input!

I have already gotten the minidsp umik-1 and a Behringer uca222 audio interface to use REW as you described.

So aside from a few cables and a mike stand this should be sufficient to run Dirac provided I can get the software? You would then use the analog 2 channels rca inputs of the RS20i and then route the input to the different outputs/speakers to get the measurements?

I was quite impressed with the room correction algorithms of the Tact (both for home theater use and for stereo) and equally disapointed by the Lyngdorf RoomPerfect - hope that Dirac can measure up to the Tact :-)

A but off-topic: aren't the PEQ filters and Dirac frequency response correction two sides of the same coin? And wouldn't it be better to let Dirac sort out the frequency response?

Thanx again

Henrik
post #3817 of 3819 Old Today, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You would then use the analog 2 channels rca inputs of the RS20i and then route the input to the different outputs/speakers to get the measurements?
I assume you are referring to measuring the FR before and after Dirac. If you want to be able to measure 8 channels, you would use the HDMI output on REW. To measure more channels, you would need to use the digital inputs on the RS20i and you need to purchase additional cables from Dirac to do so and provide a digital signal to the RS20i. If you can tweek the bed channels (7.1) with REW, you will be in great shape.
post #3818 of 3819 Old Today, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I assume you are referring to measuring the FR before and after Dirac. If you want to be able to measure 8 channels, you would use the HDMI output on REW. To measure more channels, you would need to use the digital inputs on the RS20i and you need to purchase additional cables from Dirac to do so and provide a digital signal to the RS20i. If you can tweek the bed channels (7.1) with REW, you will be in great shape.
No, I was more interested in how the FR measurement gets done with Dirac and the RS20 and how the calibration signals gets from the laptop to the RS20i

You seem to know a lot about this stuff, any chance of you doing a hardware setup guide for measuring with Dirac and REW?
post #3819 of 3819 Old Today, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, I was more interested in how the FR measurement gets done with Dirac and the RS20 and how the calibration signals gets from the laptop to the RS20i
The Dirac software does all of that automatically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page