Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 149 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 609Likes

post #4441 of 4448 Old Yesterday, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
You're a braver man than me, being willing to load an Alpha release, I've been waiting for the beta version to appear on that server!
Is the DTS Neural X upmixer working on the version you tested?
Yes. And no "scary" sounds during playback so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 4448 Old Yesterday, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post
Not really. I wait for the final release for that.
I'm not sure any of these comparisons are completely meaningful. Just as there are significant variances between the various Atmos encoded films due to mixer choices, there will be significant differences between the three technologies themselves. There may be some movies that are encoded with both Atmos and DTS and that might be interesting except, we are still comparing mixer choices.

For me, at least, I am more interested in the differences between AuroMatic, Dolby Surround and whatever DTS calls their up mixer. I have way more legacy movies than I do 3D encoded movies.
Mr. Integration, RUR and llang269 like this.

Our Theater

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows; it empties today of its strength." Corrie Ten Boom

Joshua 24:15
post #4443 of 4448 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From what I understand about DTS:X, it will support "any speaker layout", however the layout itself is chosen by the processor manufacturer. Does anyone know the layout(s) that the RS20i supports, or is that still waiting official word from Datasat?

post #4444 of 4448 Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by matted View Post
From what I understand about DTS:X, it will support "any speaker layout", however the layout itself is chosen by the processor manufacturer. Does anyone know the layout(s) that the RS20i supports, or is that still waiting official word from Datasat?
Auro has a recommended speaker layout as does Dolby. The RS20i really doesn't care where you put your speakers but you will most certainly (in my limited experience) get optimum results when you follow those guidelines. Since Auro has virtually zero movies encoded in their format (at least in the US), most have chosen some from of the Dolby recommendations.

The RS20i "limitations" for Dolby are based upon the chip they use which has a maximum number of directly addressable channels.

Our Theater

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows; it empties today of its strength." Corrie Ten Boom

Joshua 24:15
post #4445 of 4448 Old Today, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Sometimes it pays to just look at the manual, or in this case actually look at the cable. It already has male xlr connectors so it can plug directly into the amp. yay, now I don't have to buy one.

Just need a digital out cable. Too bad they didn't have just one digital out connector on the RS20. Or do they? Maybe I'll read the manual.
Yes it has digital outs on a DB25 connector on the back but this has some drawbacks, as far as I understood. Please check the manual, you need to activate the digital out in the RS20i, but then - as far as I understood it - the sampling frequency will be limited to 48 kHz. But please check it in the manual, I am not sure, if I remember this correctly.
post #4446 of 4448 Old Today, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I know there is a db25 connector for digital out, I was just hoping for a single rca digital out!

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #4447 of 4448 Old Today, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
There was some early marketing spin that DTS:X was somehow entirely layout agnostic, but that has not panned out in the real world. The DTS:X layouts closely track those of Dolby Atmos.

Unless you are very keen to play back native Auro-3D recordings, especially native Auro music, with their very effective use of surround height channels, your best bet for speaker layout is to follow the Dolby guidelines.
post #4448 of 4448 Old Today, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 4599 Post(s)
Liked: 3013
Quote:
From what I understand about DTS:X, it will support "any speaker layout"...
It won't, despite what the marketing says. Instead DTS:X lets you choose from several fixed speaker locations, just like the way Atmos lets you do, with a few height locations coinciding between the two formats.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)