Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) > Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc)
GGA's Avatar GGA 09:10 AM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Finally figured out how to measure more than one speaker at a time on the RS20i

Would appreciate learning how you did this.

adidino's Avatar adidino 01:13 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

OK, some more fiddling inside Dirac and this is the house curve (Finally figured out how to measure more than one speaker at a time on the RS20i). I am just realizing how flexible the Dirac software is and I am sure I can get this curve even better with more time.

I am not sure if the curve is too steep , but it sounds pretty good to me. Is there a set of guidelines on how a house curve should be, eg what SPL variation through out the entire range?

@Roger , I will give that a try.

Wow.. You can ski down that slope at high speed. Get my skis...

j/k!

I would at least give the JBL curve a try. You may fancy it..
JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 04:38 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Wow.. You can ski down that slope at high speed. Get my skis...

j/k!

I would at least give the JBL curve a try. You may fancy it..

Yeah, I was a bit surprised when I measured it! LOL Still tweaking, so I am definitely going to dial down the low a bit more.
JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 12:09 AM 02-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post

Would appreciate learning how you did this.

Sorry I missed this post.

In REW using the HDMI connection on the REW Soundcard preferences, select your second channel you want to run in ref output. This way you can measure the RS20i with EQ and without EQ. Very helpful indeed.
multimedes's Avatar multimedes 12:33 PM 03-03-2013
Has any one used the RS232 command set?
I am in the middle of integrating the RS20i into my system which is fully controlled and automated using an AMX netlinx system with multiple touch panels and find the command set very limiting.
e.g unless I have missed it, even a command to get the status info of the system from the INFORMATION BAR is not there. I would like to also have access to the SET UP menu. The app available on the iPad does all of this and it would be great if the same functions could be implemented via the RS232 command set.
I have ask Datasat several times for an input to my request but to date no response. Does anyone else have similar requirements for a more comprehensive RS232 command set? Maybe this is not on the majority of peoples priority list but I am replacing a Mark Levinson # 40 with the RS20i and it has a superb RS232 command set which is the Hub of my existing system.
Carl_Huff's Avatar Carl_Huff 01:33 PM 03-03-2013
Sorry but ...

The RS20i RS232/ Ethernet remote control is pretty much limited to running the volume UP/DOWN and switching between inputs. You can also remotely invoke an automation macro as well (ie: open drapes, dim lights, that sort of thing). Customers are using a VNC client when they want more.
multimedes's Avatar multimedes 05:10 PM 03-03-2013
Unfortunately Carl, I have 18 other devices integrated into a 3 layer architecture, Start, Control and Engineering , using AMX netlinx where I don't have to touch a physical device at all and it is all done via touch panel. Closing the AMX app to open the VNC app and losing access to the rest of the system is not a practical solution in this instance.

From the screens, shown below, when a device button is touched it pops up the screen for that device and slots it into the center of the main screen (the images are not to scale).
You can see the RS20i button at the bottom of the grey screen, and then the top layer RS20i screen would open in the middle of that screen followed by its own pop ups.
Surely, as a min, to provide at least the Information bar status should not be a major issue. With that one can at least confirm that the right Input, EQ,, Source, Output and Decoder type have been selected.

The only other option I see is to explore if any VNC app supports URI's permitting one to open the VNC app from a button within TP Control AMX software. TP Control permits AMX panel software to run on an iPad.
Carl, are you aware of any VNC software that supports URI's ?

Thanks for you input Carl and any help would be much appreciated.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
Carl_Huff's Avatar Carl_Huff 05:46 PM 03-03-2013
Hmm ...

I wish that I could be of more help. Perhaps someone here knows of a VNC client that offers the features that you are looking for.
multimedes's Avatar multimedes 06:19 PM 03-03-2013
Could I at least put a request into engineering to provide the Information bar status via an RS232 command.. With that one can confirm that the right Input, EQ,, Source, Output and Decoder type have been selected.
Thanks.
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 06:51 PM 03-03-2013
pm me an email address I just got the latest one.
JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 08:15 PM 03-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedes View Post

Could I at least put a request into engineering to provide the Information bar status via an RS232 command.. With that one can confirm that the right Input, EQ,, Source, Output and Decoder type have been selected.
Thanks.
Can you not use the network codes for the RS20i?
multimedes's Avatar multimedes 10:59 AM 03-04-2013
I assume you are referring to the IP address which is how the VNC connects.
I am looking at a way of using a button on the AMX iPad touch screen to open the VNC app with the RS20i IP address. The AMX app would then be closed (IOS6 cant have two apps open at the same time is my understanding) and VNC opened then at the end for the VNC app to be closed and the AMX app reopened.
edorr's Avatar edorr 11:25 AM 03-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedes View Post

I assume you are referring to the IP address which is how the VNC connects.
I am looking at a way of using a button on the AMX iPad touch screen to open the VNC app with the RS20i IP address. The AMX app would then be closed (IOS6 cant have two apps open at the same time is my understanding) and VNC opened then at the end for the VNC app to be closed and the AMX app reopened.

If you switch to another app, the VNC session will keep running in the background on your iPad. When you go back to VNC viewer, you will still be connected to the VNC server (i.e. the RS20i).
multimedes's Avatar multimedes 03:35 PM 03-04-2013
Thank you for the information I will give it a try, unfortunately I am away for the next two weeks so I wont get chance until I return.
multimedes's Avatar multimedes 03:38 PM 03-04-2013
PM sent Peter.
adidino's Avatar adidino 06:09 AM 03-09-2013
The Datsat NY Dealer is preparing for another demo following a reconfig from Datasat. Hoping for good results this time. Especially before this price increase kicks in.
djnickuk's Avatar djnickuk 07:02 AM 03-09-2013
I would love to know what had gone wrong with the config on your last demos. I find the machine incredibly easy to set up and to use. Much less complex than navigating around the Ada system setup software.

I mean, excluding Dirac of course as that takes a while, I had mine all set up with trims and delays in under 5 minutes. Without Dirac is more than impressive.

I had a chap in my room yesterday having a small demo as he was picking up a subwoofer from me. He has been in many high end room and he was simply blown away. I am sure once you hear it setup properly you'll be reaching for your wallet.
Roger Dressler's Avatar Roger Dressler 01:40 PM 03-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post

I would love to know what had gone wrong with the config on your last demos. I find the machine incredibly easy to set up and to use. Much less complex than navigating around the Ada system setup software.
So true. But that's not all that much of a compliment. The ADA is such a bear. wink.gif
yapota's Avatar yapota 08:02 PM 03-10-2013
Hi

I finally had a RS20i installed on Saturday. I gave up waiting on Lexicon to make an announcement on the MC12 replacement and my wife couldn't stand the ONKYO processor I had installed. I am very pleased with the results of the RS20i. One question that I did have was in the past I was able to trigger my 7 channel power amp using a cable with the Lexicon or the ONKYO. How do I do the triggering with the Datasat? Also are there any remote controls available that will work?

Thanks
adidino's Avatar adidino 08:13 PM 03-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post

I mean, excluding Dirac of course as that takes a while, I had mine all set up with trims and delays in under 5 minutes. Without Dirac is more than impressive.

I had a chap in my room yesterday having a small demo as he was picking up a subwoofer from me. He has been in many high end room and he was simply blown away. I am sure once you hear it setup properly you'll be reaching for your wallet.

Datasat is going back to reconfig the room I demoed in NY. There were several problems. They only logical answer at this point is the unit was played with after it was configured by Datasat.
adidino's Avatar adidino 08:17 PM 03-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by yapota View Post

Hi

I finally had a RS20i installed on Saturday. I gave up waiting on Lexicon to make an announcement on the MC12 replacement and my wife couldn't stand the ONKYO processor I had installed. I am very pleased with the results of the RS20i. One question that I did have was in the past I was able to trigger my 7 channel power amp using a cable with the Lexicon or the ONKYO. How do I do the triggering with the Datasat? Also are there any remote controls available that will work?

Thanks

RTI has a driver for it.

I'm with you on the Lexicon. Harman claims "maybe" next year but at this point who knows.... there aren't too many heavy hitters out there for processors it seems. Did you have an MC12 before?
adidino's Avatar adidino 08:41 PM 03-10-2013
Can some of you current Datasat owners tell me which processor was replaced with the RS20i? and are you still happy with the decision?
yapota's Avatar yapota 08:41 PM 03-10-2013
Hi

I had been with Lexicon since the DC2 processor. The last one I owned was the MC12EQBHD. So the EQ with balanced connections with HD video processing, no HD audio codecs.

Thanks
stephenbr's Avatar stephenbr 09:02 PM 03-10-2013
yapota - the soon to be available dolby expansion card will provide 4 triggers.

adidino - I previously had an MC12BEQ paired with an Audyssey SEQ and believe the RS20i has been a good step up.
yapota's Avatar yapota 09:47 PM 03-10-2013
Hi

Thanks for that. Any idea what decoding the dolby card will provide?

Thanks
Carl_Huff's Avatar Carl_Huff 11:17 PM 03-10-2013
Yapota - The new decoder was detailed a couple of pages back. Here is a recap ...

DATASAT EXPANSION CARD
We are pleased to announce the Datasat Expansion Card, which will unlock a whole host of new features on the RS20i audio processor. At the heart of this new card are two additional powerful DSPs to bring the total DSP power to 8 chips for the most powerful processing available.
The Datasat Expansion Card includes the following:
NEW DECODERS
The following new decoders are in addition to the existing Dolby Digital, DTS and DTS HDMA decoders.
Dolby Technologies
• Dolby Digital Plus NEW
• Dolby Pro Logic IIz NEW
• Dolby Pro Logic IIx NEW
• Dolby TrueHD NEW
DTS Technologies
• DTS Neo:X NEW
NEW SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS UP TO 11.1
DTS Neo:X supports front wide and front height speakers (up to 11.1). Dolby TrueHD supports front height speakers (up to 9.1). The Datasat Expansion Card increases the number of speaker configurations to 11 plus phantom centre.
RS20i Speaker Configurations will include:
2.0 (L, R)
3.0 (L, R, C)
4.0 (L, R, Ls, Rs)
5.1 (L, R, C, Ls, Rs, Sw)
7.1h (5.1 + L height, R height) NEW
7.1w (5.1 + L wide, R wide) NEW
9.1hw (5.1 + L height, R height, L wide, R wide) NEW
7.1 (L, R, C, Ls, Rs, Lbs, Rbs, Sw)
9.1h (7.1 + L height, R height) NEW
9.1w (7.1 + L wide, R wide) NEW
11.1hw (7.1 + L height, R height, L wide, R wide) NEW
DTS NEO:X NEW
DTS NEO:X can upmix to any of the speaker configurations. NEW
DTS NEO:X can be applied to all decoded streams: 2/6/8ch PCM, DTS 2.0/5.1/7.1 and Dolby 2.0/5.1/7.1. NEW
Dolby Pro Logic IIx/z NEW
Dolby Pro Logic IIx works for 7.1. NEW
Dolby Pro Logic IIz can be configured for 9.1h adding the front height. NEW
Dirac Live
An additional 4 channels of Dirac will be added (16 in total). NEW
adidino's Avatar adidino 12:20 AM 03-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

yapota - the soon to be available dolby expansion card will provide 4 triggers.

adidino - I previously had an MC12BEQ paired with an Audyssey SEQ and believe the RS20i has been a good step up.

and how does the Datasat compare?
stephenbr's Avatar stephenbr 02:45 AM 03-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

and how does the Datasat compare?

The RS20i is more 'fluid' and seamless in its steering while providing greater insight and detail. I just find the sound more engaging overall and better at revealing effects and individual sounds. The MC12 was a great unit in itself and still quite competitive but I do feel the RS20i has moved the game on a fair bit. I don`t think I have got everything I could out of the Datasat so looking forward to further improvement with time and experience.

The only real negative of the RS20i is its fan but I live with that without much grief. I have also yet to get the VNC control to work!
yapota's Avatar yapota 03:20 AM 03-11-2013
Hi

It's still early days. Over the next few days and weeks I shall be playing some dvds and blu-rays through the system. Amongst the material played will be those discs tht are considered 'reference' in terms of the sound quality. Also being played will be some badly mixed dvds of Indian films(bollywood), old black and white classics with stereo and mono soundtracks.

The reason for this is that the one thing I absoultely loved about the Lexicon MC12 was that you could throw any soudtrack (mono, stereo, etc...) and it would resolve it nicely to give you an clear audible track. A good example of this is the movie Hellboy II bluray which is DTS-HD Master 7.1. I would expect the sound from that to be absoultely superb from the Datasat but what would the sound be like if you played the standard definition dvd through (DD 5.1) ?

I also have a few badly mixed Indian films that are always a good test of a processor or system's ability to resolve the sound.

My first thoughts are on playing SKYFALL is that the sound is more clear and the dialogs are more audible then I have experienced before. On the ONKYO PR-SC5509 (interim processor) the dialog was sometimes muffled. Playing back Dark Knight Rises on the ONKYO was as absoulte nightmare. The first 20 minutes or so of dialog are drowned out completely by out of control bass and you cant actually hear any dialog from Kane. My wife actually asked me to unplug the ONKYO.

Anyway I shall be testing the Datasat over the next few weeks and will report my findings. One word of caution I will rarely use technical jargon to descirbe the experience and rarely will I ever be describing curves, etc. For me and my family it should simply sound superb and key criteria that I will use to judge the performance is whether the sound was engaging at a very basic level.

Thanks
JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 04:53 AM 03-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

The only real negative of the RS20i is its fan but I live with that without much grief. I have also yet to get the VNC control to work!

Why can't you get the VNC to work? That was the first thing I was able to get working.
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop