Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 840Likes

post #4771 of 5003 Old 06-14-2017, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
Well, I guess the reason is, that you have to switch manually to DTS:X post-process. If you don't change the post-process to the right one, working with the specific track you are using, it won't work. Or in other words this line is blank.
You can also see this on the VU-meters - the heights are not active. And as Mr. Integration states, the final version does not allow that DTS:X can be applied to Dolby tracks and vice versa.

For Auro 3D you also have to switch the Output Preset to 13.1 even you have an Atmos setup and not this many speakers or amps. It works nicely with my Atmos speaker setup but it is just making the RS20i believe it has this configuration and everything works.

For Atmos and DTS:X you can keep the Atmos Output Preset you have, but you have to switch the post-process manually via the surround window on the main screen. The RS20i doesn't switch automatically, you have to do this manually. I guess then you will also see the indication on the main screen again.
However, I haven't tested this yet and I will do it tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks again. Very helpful.

Dont have Auro. Just a 7.2.4 set up.

I did manually select dtsx in the surround window once I noticed the top line absent. The top line remained blank. However, I did see activity in my top speakers so it obviously was processing all channels.

I will look for your post tomorrow.

Wonder if there will be a way to have the matching surround processing mode selected automatically in a future update? I dont mind having to select. But would be a nice feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 5003 Old 06-14-2017, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrock View Post
Thanks again. Very helpful.

Dont have Auro. Just a 7.2.4 set up.

I did manually select dtsx in the surround window once I noticed the top line absent. The top line remained blank. However, I did see activity in my top speakers so it obviously was processing all channels.

I will look for your post tomorrow.

Wonder if there will be a way to have the matching surround processing mode selected automatically in a future update? I dont mind having to select. But would be a nice feature.
You are very welcome and I am happy to help here.
Regarding your last paragraph, yes, this would be nice. I agree. After my evaluation, I will write something to my contact at Datasat. They are very responsive and helpful - is my experience.

PS: You can also use Auro with an Atmos speaker setup. Westmd posted some interesting suggestion for one speaker setup for all 3D sound formats. I am using it with 7.2.4 but I think we have more Auro disks in Europe than in the US. Therefore sources are limited. We have e.g. Pixels and Passengers with Auro 3D tracks.

Last edited by Ganymed4; 06-14-2017 at 04:03 PM.
post #4773 of 5003 Old 06-14-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
You are very welcome and I am happy to help here.
Regarding your last paragraph, yes, this would be nice. I agree. After my evaluation, I will write something to my contact at Datasat. They are very responsive and helpful - is my experience.

PS: You can also use Auro with an Atmos speaker setup. Westmd posted some interesting suggestion for one speaker setup for all 3D sound formats. I am using it with 7.2.4 but I think we have more Auro disks in Europe than in the US. Therefore sources are limited. We have e.g. Pixels and Passengers with Auro 3D tracks.

Ahhhh, you're in Europe. Didn't realize. Yea, it's my understanding Auro is a better bet over there than it is here. Didn't get Auro because there still are not many titles to speak of over here. At least while I was doing all my research prior to purchasing the RS20. Figured I could add later if beneficial. Right now I'm thrilled with the Atmos performance and it seems as time goes on the mixing is improving significantly. Or I really appreciate the artistic approach of some mixes more than others. But overall it truly enhances the experience. Really looking forward to now hearing what DTSX is all about, both X tracks and the upmixing of 5 & 7.1 dts!

post #4774 of 5003 Old 06-14-2017, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked: 1602
Quote:
Well, I guess the reason is, that you have to switch manually to DTS:X post-process. If you don't change the post-process to the right one, working with the specific track you are using, it won't work. Or in other words this line is blank.
You can also see this on the VU-meters - the heights are not active. And as Mr. Integration states, the final version does not allow that DTS:X can be applied to Dolby tracks and vice versa.

For Auro 3D you also have to switch the Output Preset to 13.1 even you have an Atmos setup and not this many speakers or amps. It works nicely with my Atmos speaker setup but it is just making the RS20i believe it has this configuration and everything works.

For Atmos and DTS:X you can keep the Atmos Output Preset you have, but you have to switch the post-process manually via the surround window on the main screen. The RS20i doesn't switch automatically, you have to do this manually. I guess then you will also see the indication on the main screen again.
However, I haven't tested this yet and I will do it tomorrow and let you know.
I am surprised you have to switch manually. The system knows the input surround mode (DTS or Dolby) so surely it should switch automatically. I will have to give this a try - but that seems like a bug to me.

That means that I now have to pay attention to which the surround mode is and then select accordingly. If that is the case, I find that most problematic for a $25,000 processor.

Our Theater
FS: 2 Pair of Tannoy DI6 - DC Speakers. PERFECT for Atmos duty
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell
Proverbs 9:10
post #4775 of 5003 Old 06-14-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I am surprised you have to switch manually. The system knows the input surround mode (DTS or Dolby) so surely it should switch automatically. I will have to give this a try - but that seems like a bug to me.

That means that I now have to pay attention to which the surround mode is and then select accordingly. If that is the case, I find that most problematic for a $25,000 processor.

Well, firstly, my comments were more in regards to the lack of output processing on the first line when playing a dtsx disc for first time. I really had not done any real testing using multiple discs to see how it behaved as I had very little time to do so.

I just started the rs20 after having played a dtsx movie last. I put in a Atmos encoded 4k disc and even during the dolby encoded home screen of the movie Neural x appeared in the 1st line as the output. All tops were showing a signal. Didnt think neural would engage with dolby but did so automatically (maybe because it was last used before i shut it down last).

I then selected play movie. It started, Dolby Atmos appeared on output line as it always has, automatically. All played as it should.

I ejected that disc and put a dtsx encoded movie in. It seems to switch to dtsx automatically and played as expected, all channels including tops engaged. However, still no dtsx indication in top output line of datasat hommescreen.
post #4776 of 5003 Old 06-14-2017, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I always had to switch the post-processing mode manually. I had a Denon AVP-A1 before and it switched automatically. The RS20i only remembers the last post-processing for each input, including Output Preset. At least this was my impression of the beta but I didn't pay so much attention on this feature. I will test it with different disks tomorrow and then write down, what it does with 1.05 June 8th. The beta was from mid of April, just FYI.
post #4777 of 5003 Old 06-15-2017, 01:29 PM

What? After all this time waiting for this X release, and no exciting banter?! I'm rather surprised!!
post #4778 of 5003 Old 06-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Tested it now and found it - unfortunately - a bit inconsistent. There are several problems.

1. If you play an Atmos disk, you can switch to DTS:X but the heights are not active and the home screen post-process still shows Atmos and not DTS:X or better nothing. But it shows Atmos, even you switched to DTS:X.
2. If you switch your output preset to Auro 13.1 and switch the post-process to Auro 3-D and Auro as post-processing the source, it works - doesn't sound bad but needs some more listening.
3. If you play a DTS:X track and choose DTS:X for post-processing, the home screen doesn't show Neural:X - as with the beta - it shows blank.
4. Neural:X can be applied to Dolby Digital 2.0 but not to multi-channel
5. Trailers on disks are usually encoded using Dolby, if you use now the setting for a DTS:X track main feature, the trailers are played in multi-channel or stereo but no upmixer will be applied.

I find this a bit sad but know this already from my old Denon AVP-A1. This SSP was switching for each track it got and therefore there was a short mute phase, while the post-process was switched. Also not good, because it was possible that you missed some of the track until the sound came back - 2 seconds max.
So, my wishes to Datasat would be: Show the post-process always, may be in a different color if this specific post-process cannot be applied. Anyway, please show Neural:X for DTS:X tracks or DTS:X because it is no upmixer, it is a native DTS:X track. I don't now what nomenclature from DTS is correct here.
Second, it would be nice, that an upmixer could be applied to the trailers, but it is clear to me, that this is not so important.
Neural:X sounds better for me than DSU and Auro is always worth a try, even you are using an Atmos speaker setup. Just switch to Auro 13.1 and enjoy Auro, this is my personal perception and recommendation.
grtuck likes this.
post #4779 of 5003 Old 06-15-2017, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Tested it now and found it - unfortunately - a bit inconsistent. There are several problems.

1. If you play an Atmos disk, you can switch to DTS:X but the heights are not active and the home screen post-process still shows Atmos and not DTS:X or better nothing. But it shows Atmos, even you switched to DTS:X.
2. If you switch your output preset to Auro 13.1 and switch the post-process to Auro 3-D and Auro as post-processing the source, it works - doesn't sound bad but needs some more listening.
3. If you play a DTS:X track and choose DTS:X for post-processing, the home screen doesn't show Neural:X - as with the beta - it shows blank.
4. Neural:X can be applied to Dolby Digital 2.0 but not to multi-channel
5. Trailers on disks are usually encoded using Dolby, if you use now the setting for a DTS:X track main feature, the trailers are played in multi-channel or stereo but no upmixer will be applied.

I find this a bit sad but know this already from my old Denon AVP-A1. This SSP was switching for each track it got and therefore there was a short mute phase, while the post-process was switched. Also not good, because it was possible that you missed some of the track until the sound came back - 2 seconds max.
So, my wishes to Datasat would be: Show the post-process always, may be in a different color if this specific post-process cannot be applied. Anyway, please show Neural:X for DTS:X tracks or DTS:X because it is no upmixer, it is a native DTS:X track. I don't now what nomenclature from DTS is correct here.
Second, it would be nice, that an upmixer could be applied to the trailers, but it is clear to me, that this is not so important.
Neural:X sounds better for me than DSU and Auro is always worth a try, even you are using an Atmos speaker setup. Just switch to Auro 13.1 and enjoy Auro, this is my personal perception and recommendation.
1. You can't "switch to DTS:X". You can select the Neural:X upmixer. However, if your disc is Atmos, then it is rendered to the available speakers and there is nothing to upmix , so Neural:X is inactive.
3: If you are playing a DTS:X disc, then again, it is rendered to the available speakers so there is nothing to upmix, so Neural:X is not active.
4. Yes. A DSP code limitation. It may or may not be coincidental that Neural:X upmix of 2-chan AC3 is tested for DTS:X certification.
5. You need an Auto mode. (DSU or Noodle:X as appropriate)
Ganymed4 likes this.
post #4780 of 5003 Old 06-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyre View Post
1. You can't "switch to DTS:X". You can select the Neural:X upmixer. However, if your disc is Atmos, then it is rendered to the available speakers and there is nothing to upmix , so Neural:X is inactive.
3: If you are playing a DTS:X disc, then again, it is rendered to the available speakers so there is nothing to upmix, so Neural:X is not active.
4. Yes. A DSP code limitation. It may or may not be coincidental that Neural:X upmix of 2-chan AC3 is tested for DTS:X certification.
Thank you for your helpful explanation. For 3, I would like that DTS:X is shown then - it is not upmixing, I agree - and not blank. For me, this would be a more consistent behavior.
post #4781 of 5003 Old 06-15-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 167
DTSx is officially released. You can download it now.
post #4782 of 5003 Old 06-15-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your helpful explanation. For 3, I would like that DTS:X is shown then - it is not upmixing, I agree - and not blank. For me, this would be a more consistent behavior.
Right. The DTS:X is shown in the 3rd line ("DTS:X Master Audio") as that is how DTS want the stream-type described. Putting DTS:X Master Audio in the top line (duplicate of line3) would probably look silly when its on line 3 too. And putting just DTS:X there isn't allowed, as DTS:X indicates a type of stream which is different from "DTS:X Master Audio", so it would be wrong. Could abbreviate it to DTS:X MA (thats a permitted abbreviation).
(Where's my Beer assistant?)
Ganymed4 and jazzrock like this.
post #4783 of 5003 Old 06-15-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Right. The DTS:X is shown in the 3rd line ("DTS:X Master Audio") as that is how DTS want the stream-type described. Putting DTS:X Master Audio in the top line (duplicate of line3) would probably look silly when its on line 3 too. And putting just DTS:X there isn't allowed, as DTS:X indicates a type of stream which is different from "DTS:X Master Audio", so it would be wrong. Could abbreviate it to DTS:X MA (thats a permitted abbreviation).
(Where's my Beer assistant?)
On the other hand, if the DTS:X on line 1 is used as a processing indicator rather than a stream-type indicator, maybe showing DTS:X for a DTS:X Master Audio stream is ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rs.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	2190025  
Ganymed4 likes this.
post #4784 of 5003 Old 06-15-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
What? After all this time waiting for this X release, and no exciting banter?! I'm rather surprised!!
Exactly - after all the kvetching about how long it was taking I expected 5 pages of opinions by now.
jazzrock likes this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #4785 of 5003 Old 06-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
On the other hand, if the DTS:X on line 1 is used as a processing indicator rather than a stream-type indicator, maybe showing DTS:X for a DTS:X Master Audio stream is ok.
That's what I was thinking. Thank you! You have great knowledge, I appreciate this!

If you would also make the 'non-fitting' combinations of post-processing more visible, this would be - in my understanding - very helpful. Don't limit the choice and I don't find that 'blank' on top of the post processing is very clear for the user. I think it would be helpful if the manual process chosen by the user becomes red, indicating a non matching surround post-process, except we go for 'auto' and no choices at all. Except you implement an 'auto' and 'manual' function. But I have no idea how difficult this will be?

However, I am clearly stating here that Datasat did a really amazing job with the DTS:X implementation. I like the sound very much and it is a great addition to the Atmos and DSU implementation. I am really overwhelmed how this sounds, but we should not forget Auro 3-D. Even not object based but channel based it does an excellent job - in my understanding. The RS20i is without doubt the best sounding SSP for me.
Thank you Datasat.

Last edited by Ganymed4; 06-15-2017 at 06:11 PM.
post #4786 of 5003 Old 06-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

Once again thanks for taking the time to make a contribution in probably a more official 'Datasat' capacity.
post #4787 of 5003 Old 06-16-2017, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Exactly - after all the kvetching about how long it was taking I expected 5 pages of opinions by now.
OK, so I've downloaded it and installed it now - congrats to Datasat for finally getting it released - I've only done a brief test on a couple of scenes, and it sounds great. I won't get more time to test more thoroughly until next week.

Unfortunately because to the cross-mixing bug, I couldn't directly compare Neural:X to DSU on the fly - which is critically what I want to do to hear how they compare - I need to set output to LPCM in the player and attempt that, and didn't have time.

The main thing that is missing from the update is the ability to allow the user to select their choice of upmixer, irrespective of layout.

Quote:
To echo Stephen's sentiments, many thanks for taking the time to post - I know we can be an ugly and unforgiving crowd sometimes, but we'd love to see you more in this thread.

So, the big question then, is can you shed any light on the inability to cross mix between DTS and Dolby - and when this is likely to be fixed. Most mainstream AVR's, although they started out with this issue, appear to have now been fixed by firmware to allow Neural:X or DSU to be user selected to upmix either DTS MA or Dolby True HD streams.

Industry insiders such as Sanjay have already confirmed in this thread that it is not a restriction imposed by either Dolby or DTS, so we can only assume its a bug in the code or an issue with implementation?

Therefore could you confirm that a) you have it scheduled as an issue that needs to be addressed, and b) what sort of timescale we might be looking at for it to be fixed?
The Bogg and maikeldepotter like this.
post #4788 of 5003 Old 06-16-2017, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Was having a good listen again yesterday. To all 3D codecs and their supporting demo material. Without doubt. From all people who were here. The Auro3d codec reproduced the most lifelike and realistic immersive experience. In my system. Atmos and dtsx just can't seem to get the atmosphere that auro creates. I'm not talking upmixers here.

For that I'm liking neural x for film and tv. Although sticking wth beta version as a lot of what i watch is dd5.1 and I want to keep my ability to apply neural x, which I believe is lost in the final release.

But I have now gone back to auromatic for music. So much more spacious but resolved.
post #4789 of 5003 Old 06-16-2017, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Here are the release notes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RN-H528_Rev.F_RS20i_V1.05.00_Release_notes.pdf (316.6 KB, 72 views)
GGA, Ganymed4, grtuck and 1 others like this.
post #4790 of 5003 Old 06-16-2017, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe it's just me. But the fact that I can't use DTS on a Dolby mix and Dolby on a DTS mix is not anything I will lose sleep over. I love Atmos and DSU and have since I had them on another processor. I played a bunch of demo clips that had DTS:X on them as well as one movie, and it sounded fabulous - in fact my theater has never sounded better. Blown away is the best description I can use on how my theater sounded with with DTS:X. Try London has fallen. Everything about it was better. I played some DTS:HD discs and up-mixed to Neural:X and they sounded fabulous as well.

While it might be fun to compare Neural:X on a Dolby mix and vice-versa, I will do that when the ability to do so is implemented.

I'm just glad I finally have DTS:X. If it takes 6 months to get this cross up-mixing implemented, I am perfectly OK with that. And as Sanjay said, it took the mainstream manufacturers a while to get it "fixed" and they have a lot more resources than does Datasat.

Everyone take a deep breath.
The Bogg, llang269 and jazzrock like this.

Our Theater
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell
post #4791 of 5003 Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Maybe it's just me. But the fact that I can't use DTS on a Dolby mix and Dolby on a DTS mix is not anything I will lose sleep over. I love Atmos and DSU and have since I had them on another processor. I played a bunch of demo clips that had DTS:X on them as well as one movie, and it sounded fabulous - in fact my theater has never sounded better. Blown away is the best description I can use on how my theater sounded with with DTS:X. Try London has fallen. Everything about it was better. I played some DTS:HD discs and up-mixed to Neural:X and they sounded fabulous as well.

While it might be fun to compare Neural:X on a Dolby mix and vice-versa, I will do that when the ability to do so is implemented.

I'm just glad I finally have DTS:X. If it takes 6 months to get this cross up-mixing implemented, I am perfectly OK with that. And as Sanjay said, it took the mainstream manufacturers a while to get it "fixed" and they have a lot more resources than does Datasat.

Everyone take a deep breath.
No need for a deep breath Chuck, I'm personally not jumping up and down about this, I'm just happy to finally have DTS:X also. 6 months would be fine with me too, but I would still like to know its being worked on and what the plan is to address it.

Sure, in practical terms almost every blu-ray and UHD blu-ray has either a DTS MA track, or a native Atmos or DTS:X track. So DTS:X as the single choice upmixer for movies should be fine. However that doesn't mean I'm personally happy to just sit back and accept a lesser feature set on a circa $2,500 upgrade than is found on a $500 AVR, if there is no plan to address it.
post #4792 of 5003 Old 06-16-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post
But I have now gone back to auromatic for music. So much more spacious but resolved.
We have different opinions on this issue. But I do know there are others who feel the same as you do.

I am not an Automatic fan. I was turned off when I did some early testing and discovered (accidentally) that the ceiling speakers were nothing but delayed and reduced level copies of the base level speakers. That is what the very earliest "surround" processors did. Try it for yourself. Play some 2 channel music, turn off your base level speakers and you will hear the ceiling speakers with an almost exact copy. If there are some parameters I can change to improve that, I am interested. Or maybe I'm just pi$$ed that there are no movies in the US that actually have an Auro soundtrack.

I am also not a fan of DSU for music. While much, much better (to my ears) than Auromatic, it has the levels of the surrounds and rears much too high. I can adjust some of that, and the music has a high "fun factor" to it (certainly better than just 2 speakers), but not particularly real sounding. But still better, to my ears, than Automatic.

I have high hopes for Neural:X but the first few songs that I played seemed to suffer the exact issues that DSU does.

We shall see.

Our Theater
post #4793 of 5003 Old 06-16-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

Thank you. Much appreciated.
post #4794 of 5003 Old 06-16-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

I have not changed any my RS20 since I upgraded to 1.05. I did watch a DTS MA 5.1 movie last night and Neural x engaged automatically. While this particular sound track was not an agressive one, Neural did an excellent job and enhancing the experience bringing me more into the scenes. Was very pleased.

After reading the release notes i see where it discusses going into the Surround Decoder Setup menu. Because I seem to get DtsX or Neural automatically (source dependant) there is nothing I need to adjust here, correct? EXCEPT if I want to select; "Downsample higher sample rates" or "Apply LFE +....", etc.

Regarding Downsampling to allow upmix.....when would this be necessary? I would assume not with any movies but rather possibly with music Bluray Audio discs with a high bit rate?

When selecting this option, would it ONLY engage when it must to process?

Lastly, choosing Dialogue boost........I already have adjusted my Ctr levels to boost the dialogue a bit which generally works quite well for all movies I've watched. What are thoughts on engaging this feature?

Thanks!
post #4795 of 5003 Old 06-17-2017, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have not changed any my RS20 since I upgraded to 1.05. I did watch a DTS MA 5.1 movie last night and Neural x engaged automatically. While this particular sound track was not an agressive one, Neural did an excellent job and enhancing the experience bringing me more into the scenes. Was very pleased.

After reading the release notes i see where it discusses going into the Surround Decoder Setup menu. Because I seem to get DtsX or Neural automatically (source dependant) there is nothing I need to adjust here, correct? EXCEPT if I want to select; "Downsample higher sample rates" or "Apply LFE +....", etc.

Regarding Downsampling to allow upmix.....when would this be necessary? I would assume not with any movies but rather possibly with music Bluray Audio discs with a high bit rate?

When selecting this option, would it ONLY engage when it must to process?

Lastly, choosing Dialogue boost........I already have adjusted my Ctr levels to boost the dialogue a bit which generally works quite well for all movies I've watched. What are thoughts on engaging this feature?

Thanks!
I have to check this again but my RS20i does nothing 'automatic' depending on the kind of track played. I have to double-check this again. When the trailers before the main feature were played, the RS20i did nothing to switch to DSU nor did it switch to DTS:X post-process for the main feature.
I have to check it again, because all my manual intervention may have covered the automatic switching, because I expected it to be manual.
But for Auro 3D, this should not work, because you have to change the output preset and the post-process and then choose the corresponding source format in the Auro post-process screen. My RS20i never did this on its own. But may be, I have overseen something.
post #4796 of 5003 Old 06-17-2017, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But for Auro 3D, this should not work, because you have to change the output preset and the post-process and then choose the corresponding source format in the Auro post-process screen. My RS20i never did this on its own. But may be, I have overseen something.
I have Auro set up as an input with an associated output preset. Else Auro does not show up as a post process. I don't use Auromatic as an up mixer and since I only have two source discs (a demo disc and music disc) not a big deal. The music disc is excellent if you like the "big band" sound: The BBB & Bernie Dresel: Live n' Bernin'

Our Theater
post #4797 of 5003 Old 06-17-2017, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is it possible to control the power on the rs20i by ethernet? I use the datasat now by vnc but need to power it on by hand.
post #4798 of 5003 Old 06-17-2017, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkale View Post
Is it possible to control the power on the rs20i by ethernet? I use the datasat now by vnc but need to power it on by hand.
Someone had a Control4 driver that would do that (we could not get it to work) so via Control4, we use the RS232 interface. Works fine.

Our Theater
post #4799 of 5003 Old 06-17-2017, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have Auro set up as an input with an associated output preset. Else Auro does not show up as a post process. I don't use Auromatic as an up mixer and since I only have two source discs (a demo disc and music disc) not a big deal. The music disc is excellent if you like the "big band" sound: The BBB & Bernie Dresel: Live n' Bernin'
Tested it and yes it is switching automatically according the home screen but this is not reflected in the Surround window, if you press the surround button on the home screen. Therefore I am a bit confused, is this then switched correctly to the respective post-process? May be someone from Datasat, reading this can help. Thank you in advance. I mean, this would mean, that the automatic function for changing the post-process according the track is already implemented. This would be very nice and would make life a bit easier.

I haven't tested Auro yet. I also can confirm, that I have to change the output preset first to Auro 13.1, then the surround window shows Auro. Well, in Germany we have a total of 4 disks containing Auro 3D 11.1 tracks. This is 'Pixels', 'Red Tails' and 'Passengers' on BD and Ghostbusters only on UHD BD. Here you can find the information in German: http://surround-sound.info/auro-3d/a...-blu-ray-dach/ May be a similar site exists in English?
jazzrock likes this.
post #4800 of 5003 Old 06-17-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Tested it and yes it is switching automatically according the home screen but this is not reflected in the Surround window, if you press the surround button on the home screen. Therefore I am a bit confused, is this then switched correctly to the respective post-process? May be someone from Datasat, reading this can help. Thank you in advance. I mean, this would mean, that the automatic function for changing the post-process according the track is already implemented. This would be very nice and would make life a bit easier.

I haven't tested Auro yet. I also can confirm, that I have to change the output preset first to Auro 13.1, then the surround window shows Auro. Well, in Germany we have a total of 4 disks containing Auro 3D 11.1 tracks. This is 'Pixels', 'Red Tails' and 'Passengers' on BD and Ghostbusters only on UHD BD. Here you can find the information in German: http://surround-sound.info/auro-3d/a...-blu-ray-dach/ May be a similar site exists in English?

Gannymed,

I have the same results as I posted earlier. I too find that, when playing a DtsX movie, the home screen Post process line (1st line) is blank. I assume this means post process is dtsx.

When I play an Atmos movie the post process line automatically indicates Atmos rather than being blank.

In the Surround screen it appears only the Upmixer post processors are available to select..... Dolby Surround or Neural. Which makes sense to me since Atmos and X are automated.

It also seems that when I play a Dolby 5 or 7.1 track Dolby Surround automatically ebgages and with dts tracks Neural is automatically engaged.

So, possibly the upmixers are in the Surround selection for the future when we can select either upmix post process for either Dolby or dts tracks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page