Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 161 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 983Likes

post #4801 of 5315 Old 06-17-2017, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyre View Post
Right. The DTS:X is shown in the 3rd line ("DTS:X Master Audio") as that is how DTS want the stream-type described. Putting DTS:X Master Audio in the top line (duplicate of line3) would probably look silly when its on line 3 too. And putting just DTS:X there isn't allowed, as DTS:X indicates a type of stream which is different from "DTS:X Master Audio", so it would be wrong. Could abbreviate it to DTS:X MA (thats a permitted abbreviation).

(Where's my Beer assistant?)

I understand having DTS:X Master Audio in top line to indicate post process would be redundant but accurate as each line means something different. Silly? Yea. But maybe it's just my OCD that would prefer that or a derivative. ;^}

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 5315 Old 06-17-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 179
OMG, I understand now why Datasat wants you to hire a custom installer to set this thing up, lol. I guess I will have to read the actual manual, lol. I did a test run to play with Dirac and it is very similar to the one that came with the Emotiva XMC1. I downloaded the file to the Datasat but I can't figure out how to "activate" it, lol. Also haven't figured out how to get dirac to eq all the subs as 1. Probably a mistake in setup of the speakers from me. But it is fun to play with!

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #4803 of 5315 Old 06-17-2017, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
OMG, Also haven't figured out how to get dirac to eq all the subs as 1. Probably a mistake in setup of the speakers from me. But it is fun to play with!
If you have two groups of subs like you do - fronts and rears (e.g. 4 and 13) have the input to 13 be 4 and Dirac will treat them as one. If you have the input to 13 be 13, it will treat them separately.

Quote:
I downloaded the file to the Datasat but I can't figure out how to "activate" it, lol.
What version of Dirac are you using? In Dirac 1 you downloaded it but in Dirac 2, the last step of the Dirac application is to place the Dirac filters you created into one of the 10 slots available on the RS20i. Once in the slot, you then need to go to the Dirac section of the RS20i, move the cursor to the slot you placed the filters in and select that slot. Then "enable" Dirac.

If you have Dirac 1, you DEFINITELY need to get it upgraded to Dirac 2.

Last edited by audioguy; 06-18-2017 at 02:57 AM.

post #4804 of 5315 Old 06-18-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Chuck. I had read the manual a few months ago, obviously I hadn't remembered as much as I thought, lol.

After rereading the manual I can see how well thought out the process is even though it isn't completely intuitive.

I have Dirac 2. At the end of the calibration there is a toggle for Dirac on or off and I didn't understand the point of that. I do like the slot method which is different than Dirac 1 on the Emotiva.

I didn't complete the routing part and that's obviously now why the subs weren't treated as one. In the bass management screen I set it for 4 subs and I think that's where I went wrong.

You mentioned previously that you could save individual speaker measurements so that you could later import them and not have to remeasure those particular ones - can you elaborate? I know how to save the measurements as a group but didn't see how to do it selectively.

thanks again. I'm excited to finally get to this point with the Datasat!

post #4805 of 5315 Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 AM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Thanks Chuck. I had read the manual a few months ago, obviously I hadn't remembered as much as I thought, lol.

After rereading the manual I can see how well thought out the process is even though it isn't completely intuitive.
What version of the manual is available and where can it be found? There are still no documents on the Datasat website. I am a holdover from the AP20 days. Thanks for the help.
post #4806 of 5315 Old 06-18-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You mentioned previously that you could save individual speaker measurements so that you could later import them and not have to remeasure those particular ones - can you elaborate? I know how to save the measurements as a group but didn't see how to do it selectively.

thanks again. I'm excited to finally get to this point with the Datasat!
Let's assume, for example, that you know in 4 months you are going to replace your height speakers.

So you would do two sets of Dirac measurements. One for all of your base level speakers (and save it with a name you can remember), and then another for the height speakers (and save with an appropriate name).

After doing the first set of measurements, move them into, for example, slot 1. After doing the 2nd set of measurement , also move them into slot 1 as well.

When you set up the Dirac run, you will, of course, need to identify the number of speakers that you are creating filters for and then change the names and numbers as necessary in the list that Dirac will give you.

Then, in 4 months, rerun Dirac (with only the height speakers) and when it is time to place them filters into slot 1, move the height speakers that are in slot 1 to the trash and put the new ones into slot 1.

The most important piece of this for me is the bass. But, I do 4 different sets of measurements: (1) LCR's because I can put the mic in positions that are not blocked by seat backs. And as far as I am concerned, getting the measurements right take some experimentation (multiple Dirac runs) and they are, IMO, the most important (along with the LFE). To keep from having Dirac create filters with peaks that are too extreme (which might be audible), I spread the measurements out further than I do with the other groups of speakers; (2) Surrounds because, I need to concern myself with different mic positions than the LCR's; (3) Height because I AM going to be swapping them out as soon as I buy in-ceiling speakers; and finally; (4) LFE since it take so, so much experimentation to extract the very, very best from subs. I probably have run over 100 sets of Dirac runs to get these to be what I want. But with only two "speakers", it takes a very short amount of time.

This may be as clear as mud!!
mathbovy and grtuck like this.
post #4807 of 5315 Old 06-18-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post
What version of the manual is available and where can it be found? There are still no documents on the Datasat website. I am a holdover from the AP20 days. Thanks for the help.
Go HERE
GGA likes this.
post #4808 of 5315 Old 06-18-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks again Chuck. So you can drag different sets of measurements to the same slot? That's nifty!

post #4809 of 5315 Old 06-19-2017, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Thanks again Chuck. So you can drag different sets of measurements to the same slot? That's nifty!
Hmm, I am surprised, that you can have two measurements in one slot. I have no need to do so but I double checked the Dirac manual and it reads on page 20 under Slots: 'Datasat processors can have up to 10 separate Dirac files loaded into the slots (one file per slot).'

As I said, I have no need to do so but according the manual there can be only one file per slot and not two. In my understanding you are overwriting the old file. Just FYI.
post #4810 of 5315 Old 06-19-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Correct. For me, 99% of the value is for (re) calibrating my bass. I have not had to re-do any of the other 11 speakers in a very long time.

I am in the midst of redoing some of the cosmetics in my room and a bit of room treatment (and have some new subs coming to replace my 2 SubMersives). When all of that is done. I will recalibrate again. BUT, I will still do the LCR's (and subs) separately since the mic positions are different than any of the other speakers.

A VERY powerful, flexible and great sounding product. And don't forget to take advantage of the PEQ's in the output presets prior to running Dirac. It will allow you to end up much more uniform response than with JUST Dirac (usually).
post #4811 of 5315 Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
In my understanding you are overwriting the old file. Just FYI.
Absolutely incorrect. When I attended my training at Datasat, they mentioned (in passing) that capability. I owned the product for a very long time prior to giving it a go.

The system will not allow you to overwrite what is in there. For example, if you have two different files in the same slot (say LFE and then everything else) and try to put a new LFE file into the slot, it will not allow you to do so. You must first discard the old LFE file (move into the trash can) prior to putting in the new one.

Another advantage for this capability (for some, not me) is to correct some speakers and not others. Let's assume you don't want to correct your ceiling speakers. Simply set up a Dirac run that only includes the speakers you DO want to correct and place the file into one of the slots. Poof: all speakers will play but the ceiling speakers will play with no filters applied.
post #4812 of 5315 Old 06-19-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Correct. For me, 99% of the value is for (re) calibrating my bass. I have not had to re-do any of the other 11 speakers in a very long time.

I am in the midst of redoing some of the cosmetics in my room and a bit of room treatment (and have some new subs coming to replace my 2 SubMersives). When all of that is done. I will recalibrate again. BUT, I will still do the LCR's (and subs) separately since the mic positions are different than any of the other speakers.

A VERY powerful, flexible and great sounding product. And don't forget to take advantage of the PEQ's in the output presets prior to running Dirac. It will allow you to end up much more uniform response than with JUST Dirac (usually).
Interesting. I must admit I wasn't aware you could drag and drop different Dirac files onto the same slot without them overwriting one another.

Out of interest, why do you use different measurement positions for the surrounds vs the LCR?

Is your first position always identical (or close to it), or do you set delays and levels manually instead?
post #4813 of 5315 Old 06-19-2017, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Absolutely incorrect. When I attended my training at Datasat, they mentioned (in passing) that capability. I owned the product for a very long time prior to giving it a go.

The system will not allow you to overwrite what is in there. For example, if you have two different files in the same slot (say LFE and then everything else) and try to put a new LFE file into the slot, it will not allow you to do so. You must first discard the old LFE file (move into the trash can) prior to putting in the new one.

Another advantage for this capability (for some, not me) is to correct some speakers and not others. Let's assume you don't want to correct your ceiling speakers. Simply set up a Dirac run that only includes the speakers you DO want to correct and place the file into one of the slots. Poof: all speakers will play but the ceiling speakers will play with no filters applied.
awesome capability.

post #4814 of 5315 Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Out of interest, why do you use different measurement positions for the surrounds vs the LCR?
Two reasons: (1) if I follow the recommendations on Dirac of mic placement, the seat backs (on some of the measurements) will be between the mic and speakers when I measured my LCR's; (2) After taking 37 bazillion measurements, I have discovered in my room and for my speakers, that I get better results for the LCR's when I use mic placements that are somewhere between what one would use for a single seat and what one would use for a sofa. When I place the mic positions too close together, I can get occasional midrange hardness (Dirac is trying to fix a dip and the filter ends up with a peak that can, on occasion, be audible). When I place the mic positions too far apart, I get a bit less detail. The mic positions have little effect on my surrounds or height speakers.

When I measure subs, for example, it makes no difference about the chairs since the wave lengths are no affected by objects that size. So I use different mic positions. Also, mic position tends to have a huge impact on what the LFE sounds like even though the FR measurements after Dirac are usually very close.

Quote:
Is your first position always identical (or close to it), or do you set delays and levels manually instead?
The first position is always exactly the same when I do measurements (I use a laser measuring device to position the mic). That said, I always set levels manually and usually set delays manually ( or at the least, check them manually). I set levels by running frequency sweeps through each channel (use digital inputs to allow access to all channels). I usually set the smoothing to 1/3rd octave when doing the comparisons.

For checking delays (Dirac is usually spot on - except when multiple subs not the same distance from the MLP are involved and then it never gets even close) there is a function on my measurement software that allows me to adjust delay looking at impulse response.

For LFE delays, I do that by running full frequency sweeps through the center channel + LFE and adjust delays until the response is the smoothest. I set the delays between two sets of subs that are not the same distance from the MLP PRIOR to Dirac also by running sweeps through the subs to get the smoothest response. Then I must modify that delay as I modify the delay of the LFE channel after Dirac.

Last edited by audioguy; 06-19-2017 at 08:37 AM.
post #4815 of 5315 Old 06-19-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Two reasons: (1) if I follow the recommendations on Dirac of mic placement, the seat backs (on some of the measurements) will be between the mic and speakers when I measured my LCR's; (2) After taking 37 bazillion measurements, I have discovered in my room and for my speakers, that I get better results for the LCR's when I use mic placements that are somewhere between what one would use for a single seat and what one would use for a sofa. When I place the mic positions too close together, I can get occasional midrange hardness (Dirac is trying to fix a dip and the filter ends up with a peak that can, on occasion, be audible). When I place the mic positions too far apart, I get a bit less detail. The mic positions have little effect on my surrounds or height speakers.

When I measure subs, for example, it makes no difference about the chairs since the wave lengths are no affected by objects that size. So I use different mic positions. Also, mic position tends to have a huge impact on what the LFE sounds like even though the FR measurements after Dirac are usually very close.
Interesting stuff there. In my room I can recline the seats, and drop the head rests down, and that, in combination with the rule of thumb of keeping a minimum 300mm (1ft) between the mic and sofa surface, I get line of sight to all speakers, but I can see how in many rooms, with the lower surround positions dictated by Atmos, the obstruction of the sofa would be a problem.

Quote:
The first position is always exactly the same when I do measurements (I use a laser measuring device to position the mic). That said, I always set levels manually and usually set delays manually ( or at the least, check them manually). I set levels by running frequency sweeps through each channel (use digital inputs to allow access to all channels). I usually set the smoothing to 1/3rd octave when doing the comparisons.

For checking delays (Dirac is usually spot on - except when multiple subs not the same distance from the MLP are involved and then it never gets even close) there is a function on my measurement software that allows me to adjust delay looking at impulse response.

For LFE delays, I do that by running full frequency sweeps through the center channel + LFE and adjust delays until the response is the smoothest. I set the delays between two sets of subs that are not the same distance from the MLP PRIOR to Dirac also by running sweeps through the subs to get the smoothest response. Then I must modify that delay as I modify the delay of the LFE channel after Dirac.
I follow a similar process to be honest for checking delays and levels, with the one exception that I always find it best to phase align the subs and centre at the cross over point.

So my workflow is to:

1) phase align and level balance the subs using a miniDSP (I prefer to run them off one channel on the RS20i and then treat them as a single speaker)
2) apply some initial general/broad PEQ to all speakers to get a even FR
3) Run Dirac
4) Measure all channels with Dirac applied, setting general levels to match on a smoothed REW graph
5) Set delay between the centre and the subs to phase align with the subs at the cross over point.
6) Set delays of all other speakers to the centre by reference to the impulse response.

Your method of balancing the FR by eye probably achieves the same thing, but I like to have the reassurance that the phase is aligned on a graph to know I've properly blended the subs to the mains at the crossover.
post #4816 of 5315 Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I follow a similar process to be honest for checking delays and levels, with the one exception that I always find it best to phase align the subs and centre at the cross over point.
How do you check phase? With REW?

Quote:
So my workflow is to:

1) phase align and level balance the subs using a miniDSP (I prefer to run them off one channel on the RS20i and then treat them as a single speaker)
2) apply some initial general/broad PEQ to all speakers to get a even FR
3) Run Dirac
4) Measure all channels with Dirac applied, setting general levels to match on a smoothed REW graph
5) Set delay between the centre and the subs to phase align with the subs at the cross over point.
6) Set delays of all other speakers to the centre by reference to the impulse response.

Your method of balancing the FR by eye probably achieves the same thing, but I like to have the reassurance that the phase is aligned on a graph to know I've properly blended the subs to the mains at the crossover.
Virtually identical approaches. Great minds think (almost) alike.

The only thing I don't like about the way the RS20i works when you have 2 different groups of subs on the system, is no ability to apply PEQ's to the individual sub groups when they are both run off of channel 4.

I still have a miniDSP I used for subs on previous SSP's and for a while, the RS20i. I may have to reinstall it. The only issue I remember having with it was eliminating digital clipping.
post #4817 of 5315 Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

You guys putting a lot of effort in your room equalization. I just measure the given points by Dirac and I am fine. Have no problems with sofa backs or any other obstructing objects. But your process sounds for me quite sophisticated.

Audioguy, if you went to a Datasat training and they told you so and also showed you, I will believe it. Even this is not mentioned in the manual. However, these trainings seem to be good to gather some insider knowledge, not available so easily.
And, this a great function, gives you lots of possibilities.
post #4818 of 5315 Old 06-19-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You guys putting a lot of effort in your room equalization. I just measure the given points by Dirac and I am fine. Have no problems with sofa backs or any other obstructing objects. But your process sounds for me quite sophisticated.
I paid a lot for this product and it offers a lot of tools to improve the sound. I have chosen to take advantage of each one that can improve the audio in my room. PEQ's (prior to Dirac) are one of them.

Quote:
Audioguy, if you went to a Datasat training and they told you so and also showed you, I will believe it. Even this is not mentioned in the manual. However, these trainings seem to be good to gather some insider knowledge, not available so easily.
And, this a great function, gives you lots of possibilities.
It is not in the manual. They told me but did not show me. I figured it out by trial and error. And I took the training because I do audio calibration for a reasonably local high end HT retailer.
matty1137 likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 06-19-2017 at 01:22 PM.
post #4819 of 5315 Old 06-19-2017, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

OK, thank you very much for this explanation. I am truly impressed. That's why you are putting so much effort into the REQ.
Thank you again, I am learning a lot here. I am just an ordinary end-user of the Datasat, with some professional background.
What you are writing all makes sense for me but is new.
post #4820 of 5315 Old 06-20-2017, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do you check phase? With REW?
Yep, REW measures phase with every sweep you take.

Edit: Plus its only a button click to produce overlay graphs, so you can easily overlay the sub phase response with the LCR phase response, and tweak the delays until their phase lines cross at the crossover point.

Quote:
Virtually identical approaches. Great minds think (almost) alike.

The only thing I don't like about the way the RS20i works when you have 2 different groups of subs on the system, is no ability to apply PEQ's to the individual sub groups when they are both run off of channel 4.

I still have a miniDSP I used for subs on previous SSP's and for a while, the RS20i. I may have to reinstall it. The only issue I remember having with it was eliminating digital clipping.
Indeed, that's why I like to still use the miniDSP, as I can adjust levels, delays and apply PEQ to each sub individually to get the balance between them correct and not lose the benefit of their combined response (which is the whole point of having multiple subs after all). Plus I only end up using one output on the RS20i.

I've not seen any issues with digital clipping - how did that manifest itself?

Last edited by Wookii; 06-20-2017 at 02:06 AM.
post #4821 of 5315 Old 06-20-2017, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Its down to personal preference at the end of the day. Simply running Dirac 2 will get you very good automated results.

I'm a tweaker though, and I like to fiddle and fine tune (when I get time). If you have the installer kit and are able to run Dirac, you already have all the tools you need, and REW is a free download (something I still find amazing given its power and abilities). It is a steep learning curve, but if its something you enjoy there are improvements to be had over a straight Dirac run.
post #4822 of 5315 Old 06-20-2017, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I think I need to try REW - maybe next year when I retire and have the time. Then I may bug you Gareth for your help (together with seeking advice on HDR for my JVC)!
Billybobjimbob likes this.
post #4823 of 5315 Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
I think I need to try REW - maybe next year when I retire and have the time. Then I may bug you Gareth for your help (together with seeking advice on HDR for my JVC)!
lol feel free Stephen, and I'll try not to sound too envious that you've retired while I continue to pedal the hamster wheel of work!
Billybobjimbob likes this.
post #4824 of 5315 Old 06-20-2017, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I need to try REW - maybe next year when I retire and have the time.
Retirement is the bomb. I have only been retired a very short while. As a friend of mine said, when I asked him the best thing about retirement (prior to me even thinking about retirement): "When I wake up in the morning, I get to decide what I am going to do today!" If you think about it, there is always someone dictating the use of your time: school teachers, employers, parents, employees, customers, stock holders, etc. After retirement, it is, for the most part, YOU (and a spouse if you happen to have one of those)

And for an audio tweaker/OCD person like me, you would be surprised how much time you can "waste" doing exactly that. And the RS20i (if you have the installer kit) is a great way to apply your tweeting skills.

Or as I like to say: "Every day is Saturday ...... except Sunday."
grtuck and jazzrock like this.
post #4825 of 5315 Old 06-20-2017, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've not seen any issues with digital clipping - how did that manifest itself?
It's been over a year since I had it installed, but if I recall correctly, there are some lights that indicate input and/or output clipping.

An REW question. I know that REW has the HDMI ability to access up to 8 channels. How do you access the others in your room?
post #4826 of 5315 Old 06-20-2017, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Retirement is the bomb. I have only been retired a very short while. As a friend of mine said, when I asked him the best thing about retirement (prior to me even thinking about retirement): "When I wake up in the morning, I get to decide what I am going to do today!" If you think about it, there is always someone dictating the use of your time: school teachers, employers, parents, employees, customers, stock holders, etc. After retirement, it is, for the most part, YOU (and a spouse if you happen to have one of those)

And for an audio tweaker/OCD person like me, you would be surprised how much time you can "waste" doing exactly that. And the RS20i (if you have the installer kit) is a great way to apply your tweeting skills.

Or as I like to say: "Every day is Saturday ...... except Sunday."
LOL - everyone keeps asking me 'won't you get bored' as I am always busy at work, I say no way, I have got too many things I want to do. And I will be still relatively young (at 55) with very good health to still do a lot of things.
post #4827 of 5315 Old 06-20-2017, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL - everyone keeps asking me 'won't you get bored' as I am always busy at work, I say no way, I have got too many things I want to do. And I will be still relatively young (at 55) with very good health to still do a lot of things.
We live in an "over 55" community so 99% of the residents are retired. Far from the nicest home I have lived in but easily the best neighborhood I have lived in. And without exception our retired friends say: "I don't know how I had time to do any of this when I was working".

And good for you that you will be so young when retire. A word from someone who is a good bit older than you. We all tend to live life as though tomorrow will be just a slightly different version of today. BAD idea. Because one day, that won't be the case (illness, immobility, ... or worse) ..... and we don't know when that "one day" will come. So, as my signature says: "Work as though you will live forever ; but live as though you will die tomorrow". I did NOT do that when working but we sure do now that I am retired.

Enjoy!!
post #4828 of 5315 Old 06-20-2017, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know that REW has the HDMI ability to access up to 8 channels. How do you access the others in your room?
Okay, take a seat, this may take a while - its a little convoluted, but it works:

So I assume you have the USBPre2?

That has a digital coax output ==> To that I connect a digital coax to BNC cable ==> to that I connect a Neutrik AES/EBU Impedance Transformer that has a 75 Ohm BNC input, and a 110 ohm XLR output ==> to that I connect an XLR Y-splitter cable (I'll explain why further down) ==> to that I connect to two of the eight XLR inputs on a patch panel I have on the front of the rack which is connected to two XLR to DB25 snakes, which are in turn plugged into the RS20i DB25 digital input sockets.

This allows you to send a a test tone from REW on a laptop, over USB to the USBPre2, and out digitally into the RS20i, and hence measure with Dirac applied (providing you select the correct digital input option in the 'Sources' screen).

The reason you need the Y-splitter is that (I think due them containing the clock signal) channels 1+2 always need to receive a signal for other channels to work. So one of the XLRs stays plugged into channels 1+2, whilst the other plug gets plugged into channels 3+4, then unplugged and plugged into channels 5+6 and so on depending on which you are measuring. As all channels you are plugged into will be sent a mono signal at the same time, to measure an individual channel you simply mute the channels you don't want to measure, in the levels screen before running your sweep.

It sounds more complicated that it is, in practice its very easy. I could probably have butchered it so that I had a single XLR input to all channels on both DB25's but I wanted the ability to address channel pairs separately.
post #4829 of 5315 Old 06-20-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, take a seat, this may take a while - its a little convoluted, but it works:

So I assume you have the USBPre2?

That has a digital coax output ==> To that I connect a digital coax to BNC cable ==> to that I connect a Neutrik AES/EBU Impedance Transformer that has a 75 Ohm BNC input, and a 110 ohm XLR output ==> to that I connect an XLR Y-splitter cable (I'll explain why further down) ==> to that I connect to two of the eight XLR inputs on a patch panel I have on the front of the rack which is connected to two XLR to DB25 snakes, which are in turn plugged into the RS20i DB25 digital input sockets.

This allows you to send a a test tone from REW on a laptop, over USB to the USBPre2, and out digitally into the RS20i, and hence measure with Dirac applied (providing you select the correct digital input option in the 'Sources' screen).

The reason you need the Y-splitter is that (I think due them containing the clock signal) channels 1+2 always need to receive a signal for other channels to work. So one of the XLRs stays plugged into channels 1+2, whilst the other plug gets plugged into channels 3+4, then unplugged and plugged into channels 5+6 and so on depending on which you are measuring. As all channels you are plugged into will be sent a mono signal at the same time, to measure an individual channel you simply mute the channels you don't want to measure, in the levels screen before running your sweep.

It sounds more complicated that it is, in practice its very easy. I could probably have butchered it so that I had a single XLR input to all channels on both DB25's but I wanted the ability to address channel pairs separately.
WOW. I use OmniMic (never could get REW to work on my PC then have not tried on my Mac).

I use a similar approach - sort of. I purchased the two Datasat DB25 digital input cables for the RS20i. I play stereo OmniMic test signals from my music server. The music server has a digital XLR output which I plug into an XLR splitter which then plugs into 2 of the XLR digital inputs of the RS20. One of which, like you, is always 1 and 2 and the other into the channels I need to measure on the XLR digital inputs on the Datasat. I mute (on the RS20i) the channel I don't want to listen to and run the frequency sweeps. Works well. Prior to using the splitter and using channel 1 and 2, I got no signal. Given I am splitting a digital signal, I'm not sure what kind of distortion I am introducing (other than probably signal loss) but it works good enough for my purposes. I actually didn't think you could split a digital signal but figured I had nothing to lose.

And I'm not sure either why I need send a signal to 1 & 2 but got the message "no lock" without doing so.
post #4830 of 5315 Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WOW. I use OmniMic (never could get REW to work on my PC then have not tried on my Mac).

I use a similar approach - sort of. I purchased the two Datasat DB25 digital input cables for the RS20i. I play stereo OmniMic test signals from my music server. The music server has a digital XLR output which I plug into an XLR splitter which then plugs into 2 of the XLR digital inputs of the RS20. One of which, like you, is always 1 and 2 and the other into the channels I need to measure on the XLR digital inputs on the Datasat. I mute (on the RS20i) the channel I don't want to listen to and run the frequency sweeps. Works well. Prior to using the splitter and using channel 1 and 2, I got no signal. Given I am splitting a digital signal, I'm not sure what kind of distortion I am introducing (other than probably signal loss) but it works good enough for my purposes. I actually didn't think you could split a digital signal but figured I had nothing to lose.

And I'm not sure either why I need send a signal to 1 & 2 but got the message "no lock" without doing so.
lol it looks like we have followed similar paths to similar end points

Yes, I think channel 1 contains the clock signal to keep all channels in time, which is why no other channel will play unless channel 1 receives the clock signal.

There should be no issues in splitting a digital signal as far as I know, providing the signal has enough gain to support it - at the end of the day its an electrical signal like any other, and for the purposes of sending a simple test tone it should be fine - I would think twice about actually using it to play audio, though I'd guess some people may have done it when feeding DSP amps for arrayed speakers perhaps (?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page