Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #631 of 1806 Old 05-11-2013, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi Nick -what disc are you playing in the the first screen shot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1806 Old 05-11-2013, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Guys

Been reading this thread for awhile now and am interested in seeing and hearing the Datasat.
I am in Australia and am wandering who is the distributor and who would be the best to purchase one from and get it installed and setup to its full potential.

cheers
post #633 of 1806 Old 05-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

Hi Nick -what disc are you playing in the the first screen shot?

All the shots were from one disk. One of the dobly demo disks.

http://www.demo-world.eu/demo-dvds/the-sound-of-high-definition-2-blu-ray.php

Shot one - Benny Rietveld - 100 Sq. Ft. (4:24) TrueHD 7.1 - awesome track. And my first introduction in the great singing voice of Annekei.

Second shot is - Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds (3:36) TrueHD 5.1 - really good rock track. Great mix down.

Third shot - The Killers - Human (4:15) DD+ 7.1 - great use of surrounds.

I just took delivery of the new DTS demo disk today which has some Neo X optimised tracks so look forward to giving that a whirl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post

Hi Guys

Been reading this thread for awhile now and am interested in seeing and hearing the Datasat.
I am in Australia and am wandering who is the distributor and who would be the best to purchase one from and get it installed and setup to its full potential.

cheers

I suggest you contact Datasat direct and ask who their Australian dealer is. I am sure there is one now.
post #634 of 1806 Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Liked: 12
Hi Nick,
Where do you buy these disc's Demo World does not seem to sell them?
post #635 of 1806 Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagmeister View Post

Where I am getting confused is that if I am play a DDTrueHD disc should it not show that instead of DTS 48K and then what ever post processing we are doing? I guess I expect to see DDTrueHD somewhere on the screen as the source. My Oppo shows that it is outputting DDTrueHD.

Is this a bug or do I need to change some setting?
In the Oppo audio setup menu, make sure secondary audio is turned off.
post #636 of 1806 Old 05-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedes View Post

Hi Nick,
Where do you buy these disc's Demo World does not seem to sell them?

I get sent them. But eBay is a good place to look.
post #637 of 1806 Old 05-11-2013, 01:59 PM

Ian13 - Network Audio Visual is the Australian distributor.
djnickuk likes this.
post #638 of 1806 Old 05-12-2013, 09:21 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Yes it is.
Peter,

did you succeed to control it from NetLinx ? as I have no luck till now here frown.gif I got some success to control it through direct telnet from terminal but unit doesn't answer anymore and unable to control it from NetLinx frown.gif

Thanks
post #639 of 1806 Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post

Hi Guys

cheers

Where in Australia you are? I live in Queensland and the dealer there is Electronic living (http://www.electronicliving.com.au/). Good people but the prices are heart breaking...
If you change you mind about DATASAT let me know. I'll give a you a different (cheaper) option...not necessary inferior.
Cheers
post #640 of 1806 Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 AM

Liked: 10
Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. Turning off the secondary audio on the oppo worked. It does leave me with another problem on how to source video and audio to a secondary device but right now I am just enjoying the Datasat.
post #641 of 1806 Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by yapota View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Turning off the secondary audio on the oppo worked. It does leave me with another problem on how to source video and audio to a secondary device but right now I am just enjoying the Datasat.
Should not be a problem.

Secondary audio is not related with driving the second set of Oppo outputs. Here, secondary audio refers to the Oppo's ability to overlay the main soundtrack with additional audio such as commentary or disc menu sounds. If you set the player to output PCM then you can still hear the lossless audio. If you ask for bitstream output, then a DTS encoder is activated.
post #642 of 1806 Old 05-19-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincen View Post

Peter,

did you succeed to control it from NetLinx ? as I have no luck till now here frown.gif I got some success to control it through direct telnet from terminal but unit doesn't answer anymore and unable to control it from NetLinx frown.gif

Thanks

Hi Vincen,

If you are using Netlinx via RS232 you are probably connecting using a 38.4K. baud rate as this is the Netlinx default setting. There is a fault on the RS20i and this speed does not currently work, try any of the other baud rates and you should be OK.
I have implement the full RS232 command set via Netlinx, including the new decoder commands and fully control the RS20i.
post #643 of 1806 Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 AM

Has anyone in the States received their Dolby HD expansion card yet?
post #644 of 1806 Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

To the best of my knowledge, no.
post #645 of 1806 Old 05-20-2013, 02:03 PM

Thx Carl
post #646 of 1806 Old 05-20-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Yes It actually came to my dealer on the 29th April.
post #647 of 1806 Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Little bit of RS20i news.

The new 8 channel expansion card should be released in next few weeks. Making it full 24 channel output
post #648 of 1806 Old 05-23-2013, 01:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenoff View Post

Where in Australia you are? I live in Queensland and the dealer there is Electronic living (http://www.electronicliving.com.au/). Good people but the prices are heart breaking...
If you change you mind about DATASAT let me know. I'll give a you a different (cheaper) option...not necessary inferior.
Cheers

Hi Kamenoff

PM sent
post #649 of 1806 Old 05-23-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post

Little bit of RS20i news.

The new 8 channel expansion card should be released in next few weeks. Making it full 24 channel output

Great to see another development of the RS20i platform - well done Datasat.
post #650 of 1806 Old 05-26-2013, 10:16 AM

Today I see the weakest part of the Datasat offering is its input capabilities and therefore would have prefered to see more input channels in preference to output, addition HDMI giving an 8x2 option would be great, 16 channels of output we already have gives us 11.4 / 13.2 which I am sure meets or exceeds the requirements of most.
My two cents for choice for next board chassis addition.
Would be interested to hear other people's choice.
post #651 of 1806 Old 05-26-2013, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Today I see the weakest part of the Datasat offering is its input capabilities and therefore would have prefered to see more input channels in preference to output, addition HDMI giving an 8x2 option would be great, 16 channels of output we already have gives us 11.4 / 13.2 which I am sure meets or exceeds the requirements of most.
My two cents for choice for next board chassis addition.
Would be interested to hear other people's choice.

I have to agree to an extent. No doubt the output channel board has been brought in, in preparation fro Auro3D, so whilst someone that has 7.4 traditional channels, and wishes to add 5 Auro3D height channels, take the count to 12.4, if they wish to add Neo:X width channels or bi-amp any channels (using the RS20i as an active crossover that is) they're already over the 16 channels currently available. In truth though, as you say, few people will need that many.

That is, unless Datasat add simultaneous multi-room functionality. I'd don't even know if its technically feasible on the RS20i, but if it was and did become available, then additional channels would most definitely be required to feed additional zones - personally I am already thinking of using two channels on the RS20i for an additional stereo set-up in another room.

I agree though, more input channels are required. Four HDMI inputs is somewhat lacking at this level, as is only one active output. Some 'official' way to utilise the DB25 digital inputs for additional coax or stereo AES/EBU would be useful also.

As I've said before also, a simple IR or RF remote control could be added with any new board, and would take the pain out of the VNC interface for rapid volume control.
post #652 of 1806 Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Please NO MULTIROOM!!!!
post #653 of 1806 Old 05-26-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Great to see another development of the RS20i platform - well done Datasat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavies09031977 View Post

I have to agree to an extent. No doubt the output channel board has been brought in, in preparation fro Auro3D, so whilst someone that has 7.4 traditional channels, and wishes to add 5 Auro3D height channels, take the count to 12.4, if they wish to add Neo:X width channels or bi-amp any channels (using the RS20i as an active crossover that is) they're already over the 16 channels currently available. In truth though, as you say, few people will need that many.

That is, unless Datasat add simultaneous multi-room functionality. I'd don't even know if its technically feasible on the RS20i, but if it was and did become available, then additional channels would most definitely be required to feed additional zones - personally I am already thinking of using two channels on the RS20i for an additional stereo set-up in another room.

I agree though, more input channels are required. Four HDMI inputs is somewhat lacking at this level, as is only one active output. Some 'official' way to utilise the DB25 digital inputs for additional coax or stereo AES/EBU would be useful also.

As I've said before also, a simple IR or RF remote control could be added with any new board, and would take the pain out of the VNC interface for rapid volume control.
Yes, I agree that additional output channels are for the Auro 3D program but the availability is still away off and the requirements for a richer input selection is now.
It sounds that we have similar requirements I to need AES, extra COAX inputs, a second zone and better volume controls. All to some degree I have managed to overcome but not at the same time and with certain limitations.

An Extra AES input is possible using the digital inputs but it is restricted to one only per 8 channels.
Each DB25 connector is wired to the Dolby DMA8 standard and is connected as 8 individual channels, not inputs, which means that if you use a DB25 to AES/EBU snake cable you only have 4 AES/EBU conectors (2 channels per connector). If you use both DB25's then you have a total of 8 AES/EBU.
Unfortunately only one pair per DB25 can be used as a standard digital input which is the first pair on each connector (1,2 and 9,10) and the decoder can be configured to accept the necessary DTS or Dolby surround input.
The reason you can’t go to any but the first input pair is you need a master clock for each pair and that is only connected to the first pair.

It is possible to add a second zone a solution is, set the RS20i output mapping channel so that each output has channels 1-8? So instead of having channels 1 - 8 and 9 - 16 you would have 1-8, 1-8. Also to note that any zone type arrangements will have the same EQ settings.
If just a second 2 ch area playing by itself is required then via one of the presets with the output for it sent to other amp channels driving those speakers should work.

I have also added a third zone rack monitor by using the monitor output, this is only mono but fine for a rack monitor.
I have created my own volume controls using AMX, as part of my overall control of RS20i, so I have direct control of both the main and the monitor both at variable speeds.
post #654 of 1806 Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 AM

Liked: 24
Please note the upgrade card is specifically to address the need for more channels in multiway active systems. The card already exists for the Pro platform so was a relatively easy upgrade for RS20i with its superior output stage.

Neil Davidson - Visit my facebook page
post #655 of 1806 Old 05-27-2013, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"Each DB25 connector is wired to the Dolby DMA8 standard and is connected as 8 individual channels, not inputs, which means that if you use a DB25 to AES/EBU snake cable you only have 4 AES/EBU connectors (2 channels per connector). If you use both DB25's then you have a total of 8 AES/EBU".

I think that this is Digital equipment standard...and probably limitation to the DB25 connector? Trinnov is designed in the same way...All digital cables with DB25 are designed with 4 AES in/ 4 AES out. You have the options to do as well DB25-DB25 connection..still 8 channels per DB25 connector. If you want to get more channels you need equipment with ADAT which is different protocol and as far as I am aware has limitation in the sample rate (up to 48 kHz). DB25 can go to 192 KHz and probably that is why all professional equipment are using it.
post #656 of 1806 Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Please NO MULTIROOM!!!!

Why ever not? The RS20i makes for a very good pre-amp for pure hi-fi duties, with the added benefit of DIRAC too. Using the RS20i to power the main cinema room, a 5.1 system in the family room, a stereo hi-fi set-up in another room, maybe some in ceiling speakers in another couple of rooms, all with the ability to have DIRAC and EQ applied, all benefitting from the RS20i excellent sound quality, all controllable via i-thingy's . . . sounds like a winner! I don't work in the industry, but I would have thought it would be a custom installers dream! And being able to service all those zones without having to add additional devices (pre-amps, EQ devices etc) makes the RS20i a surprisingly economical choice in such systems.
Quote:

An Extra AES input is possible using the digital inputs but it is restricted to one only per 8 channels.
Each DB25 connector is wired to the Dolby DMA8 standard and is connected as 8 individual channels, not inputs, which means that if you use a DB25 to AES/EBU snake cable you only have 4 AES/EBU conectors (2 channels per connector). If you use both DB25's then you have a total of 8 AES/EBU.
Unfortunately only one pair per DB25 can be used as a standard digital input which is the first pair on each connector (1,2 and 9,10) and the decoder can be configured to accept the necessary DTS or Dolby surround input.
The reason you can’t go to any but the first input pair is you need a master clock for each pair and that is only connected to the first pair.

Have you been able to source a correctly wired DB25 to 4 x AES/EBU connector? I've not been able to find one so figured I was going to have to make my own (with just single AES/EBU to the DB25 due to the difficulty in manually soldering something so small).
Quote:

It is possible to add a second zone a solution is, set the RS20i output mapping channel so that each output has channels 1-8? So instead of having channels 1 - 8 and 9 - 16 you would have 1-8, 1-8.

Yes, that's what I meant, but again the problem is that it is not simultaneous, its either Zone 1 OR Zone 2. That's works perfectly where you know that only one zone or the other is required at once, but if you're listening to music in one zone whilst the kids want to watch a movie in the other . . . domestic bliss does not result! biggrin.gif
Quote:

Also to note that any zone type arrangements will have the same EQ settings.
If just a second 2 ch area playing by itself is required then via one of the presets with the output for it sent to other amp channels driving those speakers should work.

You can have separate EQ settings, you just have to create a new EQ profile, and a new Input, then map the source to both inputs. So for example Input 1 (for the Main zone) would have CD player as the source and EQ1, Input 2 (for Zone 2) would also have the CD player as the source and EQ2. You can then Label the Inputs, say, "CD Cinema room" (Input 1) and "CD Media Room" (Input 2). You should also be able to have different DIRAC profiles for each EQ - but don't quote me on that as I haven't got Dirac yet.

Quote:

I have created my own volume controls using AMX, as part of my overall control of RS20i, so I have direct control of both the main and the monitor both at variable speeds.

I need to do similar, but I'm using Demopad which can use two way feedback via RS232. Have you managed to get two way feedback working on your system?
post #657 of 1806 Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Have you been able to source a correctly wired DB25 to 4 x AES/EBU connector? I've not been able to find one so figured I was going to have to make my own (with just single AES/EBU to the DB25 due to the difficulty in manually soldering something so small).

Yes you can obtain all the cables from Datasat DB25 analog x 8 and digital x 4 both i/p and o/p.
Quote:
Yes, that's what I meant, but again the problem is that it is not simultaneous, its either Zone 1 OR Zone 2. That's works perfectly where you know that only one zone or the other is required at once, but if you're listening to music in one zone whilst the kids want to watch a movie in the other . . . domestic bliss does not result! biggrin.gif

Yes unfortunately no independent main multi volume control. I did however ask Datasat if they could give us two extra channels o/p by using monitor ouput as stereo 1 and HI as stereo 2 using monitor volume control. Although this could be possible the D2A's are not the same quality as the main channels.
Quote:
You can have separate EQ settings, you just have to create a new EQ profile, and a new Input, then map the source to both inputs. So for example Input 1 (for the Main zone) would have CD player as the source and EQ1, Input 2 (for Zone 2) would also have the CD player as the source and EQ2. You can then Label the Inputs, say, "CD Cinema room" (Input 1) and "CD Media Room" (Input 2). You should also be able to have different DIRAC profiles for each EQ - but don't quote me on that as I haven't got Dirac yet.

Haven't tried that will give it a go. I ask Datasat but I was referring to the 5.1 and using 1 to 8 mapping and they did say EQ's would be the same in both zones I will re ask.
Quote:
I need to do similar, but I'm using Demopad which can use two way feedback via RS232. Have you managed to get two way feedback working on your system?

Yes I have two way feedback working for all commands but there are some errors in the documentation which caused me a few head aches. The main one is when asking for status say VOLUME, or any command, omit the space ie "'@VOLUME',$0D". Also when the status is returned I have noticed it is terminated with a CR and LF. not just line feed. Also to note the 38.4Kb baud rate connection does not work.
When I first connect to the RS20i I do a one off poll to sync status for all conditions including audio type, EQ, volume, input selected etc, you also need to issue a status poll after every input change to pick up the new settings for that input and if you want to keep the Volume in synch, especially with changes from the front panel, you need to continually poll for volume updates.
One other issue I found frustrating was that if you are using more than 8 inputs and use the "more" button that the display showing the extra inputs does not change in real time nor does the monitor volume if you use RS232 to change these parameters you have to close the window and reopen to see the changes. I therefore have replicated this on my touch panel and modified it to give real time response. Again at start up they need to be polled to sych.
post #658 of 1806 Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 AM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I would like to see at least two XLR input connections for AES/EBU. I think it is a severe limitation not having any digital XLR inputs and only two available through the cumbersome DB25 inputs.

Quote:

I mentioned this to them some two years ago. Some type of IR/RF "granny" remote for volume, mute and source selection would avoid having to use the VNC for these simple choices.
post #659 of 1806 Old 05-30-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Yes I have two way feedback working for all commands but there are some errors in the documentation which caused me a few head aches.

Which documentation are you referring to there? I've had a quick scan through the RS20i, can can't seem to find anything on this. I'm just starting to try and get my head around RS232 control and the two way feedback, so if there is some documentation somewhere giving commands etc, it'd be great if you could point me in the right direction.
post #660 of 1806 Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM

Scratch that, I've got the document off Datasat.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page