Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 62 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1831 of 1850 Old 09-02-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Yup. Hard to see how this wouldn't cannibalize profits.
Distribution differences, brand equity, personal relationships with the dealers might be a start. If you're buying less of a hunk of metal and more of a long-term relationship with the distributor/dealer/rep and you've the bucks, there's some reason to sell and support differently than in the mass market. Most of you here are more familiar with this than me, but that's at least what I'd see as a marketer professionally.

Reading the various threads, it struck me on that at least one firmware upgrade to the Datasat was done due to a single user's issue (maybe thebland's one with Auro center height extraction/downmix to L/R heights from reading the UK equivalent of AVS). That's a completely different ballgame than the model of the mainstream world. And more like what I'm used to seeing for software support for boutique products (not necessarily expensive ones, just ones with very dedicated audiences). In that context, maybe you can get away with near-identical products with different brand nameplates.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sdrucker; 09-02-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1850 Old 09-02-2014, 04:01 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
RUR - just to clarify, the Storm Audio SSPs are quite different designs to the Datasat units.
I believe you, but the fundamental performance specs - 12/16 channels, Dirac correction (Nick's post above), Auro decoding - appear to be the same, and the Storm pricing ain't much discount from Datasat, if any. What do you see as the big discriminators?
post #1833 of 1850 Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
I believe you, but the fundamental performance specs - 12/16 channels, Dirac correction (Nick's post above), Auro decoding - appear to be the same, and the Storm pricing ain't much discount from Datasat, if any. What do you see as the big discriminators?
I see Storm Audio and Datasat a bit like Onkyo/Integra and Marantz in their respective fields. The 5509 and 8801 have a very similar feature set and are competitors but are designed differently.

Some quick but significant differences I see between the Storm Audio SSP-16 and the Datasat RS20i include:
- DSP chips, DAC etc
- input/outputs
- upgrade path (eg Datasat has card 'slots' for ease of upgrade)
- operating interface
- how extra channels are added
post #1834 of 1850 Old 09-02-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I made an exercise to reduce channel count to what I consider bare minimum for Aegir and lo and behold I need 32 channels.....

datasat can you please populate the empty slots?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 09-02-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #1835 of 1850 Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Reading the various threads, it struck me on that at least one firmware upgrade to the Datasat was done due to a single user's issue (maybe thebland's one with Auro center height extraction/downmix to L/R heights from reading the UK equivalent of AVS). That's a completely different ballgame than the model of the mainstream world. And more like what I'm used to seeing for software support for boutique products (not necessarily expensive ones, just ones with very dedicated audiences). In that context, maybe you can get away with near-identical products with different brand nameplates.
The request for Phantom HC was put in some weeks before thebland took delivery of his unit. And do remember the codec was still in beta testing so the writing team were dedicated to this task. But that aside, Datasat do listen, investigate and take the required,action to fix any bug that may come up.
post #1836 of 1850 Old 09-03-2014, 03:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post
The request for Phantom HC was put in some weeks before thebland took delivery of his unit. And do remember the codec was still in beta testing so the writing team were dedicated to this task. But that aside, Datasat do listen, investigate and take the required,action to fix any bug that may come up.
Nick,

Speaking of that beta software, I tried updating to this release via USB drive but get error' "this software not supported by this hardware". Any suggestions?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1837 of 1850 Old 09-03-2014, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Nick,

Speaking of that beta software, I tried updating to this release via USB drive but get error' "this software not supported by this hardware". Any suggestions?
Hmmm, make sure the file ends in .upd also ensure the drive has nothing else on it. Failing that, shoot Datasat an email. Perhaps the file is corrupted. That is not an issue I've come across I'm afraid.
post #1838 of 1850 Old 09-03-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Nick,

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post
Hmmm, make sure the file ends in .upd also ensure the drive has nothing else on it. Failing that, shoot Datasat an email. Perhaps the file is corrupted. That is not an issue I've come across I'm afraid.
I have had the same issue before. If it is the correct file, I found a complete reboot helped in some cases. Otherwise you may be correct and the file is corrupt.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

post #1839 of 1850 Old 09-03-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I got it! Carl gave me a bit of advice.

Thanks!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1840 of 1850 Old 09-03-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just started the official Tandem Rs-20i Thread. For those wanting 32 channels of dirac 2 corrected auro and atmos off the bat, this is a very attractive proposition at BOGOHP.

Done frequently in large format auditoriums with the ap-24, now coming to HT for atmos auro 32 channel dirac.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tandem-rs-20i.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	245386   Click image for larger version

Name:	dopple-rs201.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	245394  

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 09-03-2014 at 11:57 PM.
post #1841 of 1850 Old 09-07-2014, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Love the dual RS20i's Peter. How do you incorporate the Dirac live for the extra channels?

Dave

post #1842 of 1850 Old 09-07-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You don't 16 plus 16 =32.

BUT YOU CAN SOMEHOW BECAUSE BARCOS VERSION IS 24

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 09-08-2014 at 09:20 PM.
post #1843 of 1850 Old 09-09-2014, 05:33 AM

Datasat have released their technical notes for the Auro 3D upgrade:

http://datasatdigital.com/docs/archi...ro_8_RS20i.pdf
post #1844 of 1850 Old 09-09-2014, 05:42 AM

And following confirmation that Atmos is coming:

http://datasatdigital.com/consumer/i...dolby-news.php

Last edited by stephenbr; 09-09-2014 at 04:58 PM.
post #1845 of 1850 Old 09-09-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I told ya'll.

post #1846 of 1850 Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
I told ya'll.
Never doubted you!
post #1847 of 1850 Old 09-11-2014, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
I think you will find that one issue I brought up with DataSat regarding WASAPI and communication with a windows PC was fixed and I was the only one who had the issue at the time. They sent me instructions on how to debug the problem and I sent the logs back to them and they had the fix and a new update within a couple of weeks.

post #1848 of 1850 Old 09-11-2014, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I read in a Datasat speaker setup guide that the Auro height center channel is only necessary in very large rooms. Now my room is 5.70m x 4.30m and 2.20m high. Now I have got the problem that amp wise I can only use either the center height or the VOG and I was wondering if in my environment the centre height even makes sense!
post #1849 of 1850 Old 09-11-2014, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
I read in a Datasat speaker setup guide that the Auro height center channel is only necessary in very large rooms. Now my room is 5.70m x 4.30m and 2.20m high. Now I have got the problem that amp wise I can only use either the center height or the VOG and I was wondering if in my environment the centre height even makes sense!
There is now, I believe, an option within the RS20i (and I assume LS10) set-up menus to opt for the centre height channel to be down mixed into the L/R front height channels.

If you have to choose, personally I would go for the VOG. Alternatively pick up a cheap second hand stereo or mono amp to add to your existing, and have both channels. That is what I have done - I have two seven channel amps covering 14 speakers, so I got a Primare stereo amp (which handily has a bridged mode) for running the VOG.

My room is a similar size to yours
post #1850 of 1850 Old 09-12-2014, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 46
May I invite you to the newly opened The official Auro 3D thread (home theater version)

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page