Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 62 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1831 of 1835 Old Today, 03:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Yup. Hard to see how this wouldn't cannibalize profits.
Distribution differences, brand equity, personal relationships with the dealers might be a start. If you're buying less of a hunk of metal and more of a long-term relationship with the distributor/dealer/rep and you've the bucks, there's some reason to sell and support differently than in the mass market. Most of you here are more familiar with this than me, but that's at least what I'd see as a marketer professionally.

Reading the various threads, it struck me on that at least one firmware upgrade to the Datasat was done due to a single user's issue (maybe thebland's one with Auro center height extraction/downmix to L/R heights from reading the UK equivalent of AVS). That's a completely different ballgame than the model of the mainstream world. And more like what I'm used to seeing for software support for boutique products (not necessarily expensive ones, just ones with very dedicated audiences). In that context, maybe you can get away with near-identical products with different brand nameplates.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

Last edited by sdrucker; Today at 04:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1835 Old Today, 04:01 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
RUR - just to clarify, the Storm Audio SSPs are quite different designs to the Datasat units.
I believe you, but the fundamental performance specs - 12/16 channels, Dirac correction (Nick's post above), Auro decoding - appear to be the same, and the Storm pricing ain't much discount from Datasat, if any. What do you see as the big discriminators?
post #1833 of 1835 Old Today, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
I believe you, but the fundamental performance specs - 12/16 channels, Dirac correction (Nick's post above), Auro decoding - appear to be the same, and the Storm pricing ain't much discount from Datasat, if any. What do you see as the big discriminators?
I see Storm Audio and Datasat a bit like Onkyo/Integra and Marantz in their respective fields. The 5509 and 8801 have a very similar feature set and are competitors but are designed differently.

Some quick but significant differences I see between the Storm Audio SSP-16 and the Datasat RS20i include:
- DSP chips, DAC etc
- input/outputs
- upgrade path (eg Datasat has card 'slots' for ease of upgrade)
- operating interface
- how extra channels are added
post #1834 of 1835 Old Today, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 50
post #1835 of 1835 Old Today, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Reading the various threads, it struck me on that at least one firmware upgrade to the Datasat was done due to a single user's issue (maybe thebland's one with Auro center height extraction/downmix to L/R heights from reading the UK equivalent of AVS). That's a completely different ballgame than the model of the mainstream world. And more like what I'm used to seeing for software support for boutique products (not necessarily expensive ones, just ones with very dedicated audiences). In that context, maybe you can get away with near-identical products with different brand nameplates.
The request for Phantom HC was put in some weeks before thebland took delivery of his unit. And do remember the codec was still in beta testing so the writing team were dedicated to this task. But that aside, Datasat do listen, investigate and take the required,action to fix any bug that may come up.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page