Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1981 of 1999 Old 12-01-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Since you guys in this thread have the most real world experience with Dirac, I thought I would ask here. Emotiva is about to enable Dirac on the XMC-1. The XMC has two independent sub outputs, and I have 4 subs. I can set this up one of two ways..

1) Use my current setup where I have time aligned the 4 subs with an outboard Xilica processor and the help of some fine folk at the Home Theater Shack and REW. I would connect the 4 subs to just one output of the XMC as I have now and let Dirac do its thing while "hearing" the combined response of all 4 subs on that one output.

2) Connect the front and rear subs to one output and left and right subs to the second output, turning off all attempts to time align the subs in the Xilica. The front and rear are pretty close to the same distance from the MLP (maybe a foot difference at most I think) and the left and right are also similar. Then just let the XMC Dirac setup hear each set of subs separately and do its calculations.

I realize the XMC's iteration of Dirac may differ a bit from the Datasat, but if you assumed that the Datasat had only two sub outputs, which of the above methods would you use?

... I also suppose that if it mattered I could attempt to make the time alignment of the front/rear and left/right even closer by still using the delays of the Xilica even if I chose option #2 above instead of just letting them pass the signals through.

Thanks for any help and I don't want to hijack a Datasat thread, but there will be limited users of the XMC with 4 subs and an outboard EQ at their disposal and you guys have great experience with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 1999 Old 12-01-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Then just let the XMC Dirac setup hear each set of subs separately and do its calculations.
During normal playback will each set of subs be getting different signals?

Sanjay
post #1983 of 1999 Old 12-01-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
During normal playback will each set of subs be getting different signals?
No.
post #1984 of 1999 Old 12-01-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
No.
Then I wouldn't EQ them independently. IF you're going to be hearing the interaction of all 4 subs, then EQ the interaction of all 4 subs.

Sanjay
post #1985 of 1999 Old 12-01-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok cool...so I will stick with option #1 . Its the easiest to setup anyway since it is basically done except for enabling Dirac and running it.
post #1986 of 1999 Old 12-01-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I put all 12 subs on one channel and time align them in the RS20i. I then run Dirac on that channel. I tried separating them and I found I had best results grouping them.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #1987 of 1999 Old 12-01-2014, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 44
What device do you use to time align the individual subs Dave?

I have just set mine up on a miniDSP running out of a single RS20i channel - excellent little device, let's me adjust delays and levels and add a bit of initial PEQ to each sub individually.
post #1988 of 1999 Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In my set up I master and slave my 2 F113s (they are symmetrically placed in my room) so they are running from one channel and are then EQ'd as a single unit. This allows me to have the 15 other channels free for a full 15 channel Auro set up (which I have yet to install!).
post #1989 of 1999 Old 12-02-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool thanks for the input. Sounds like grouping them all as one sub output and time aligning before handing off to Dirac is the consensus.
post #1990 of 1999 Old 12-02-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
When I had the RS20i in our demo room I fed 8 subwoofers with 1 input signal (via channel routing), this was before he bass management system was finalized- so we had to play with different configurations to get the various channels to work well.

Initially, I paired our front 2 side woofers with the mains as the lowpass, the side 2 and rear 2 and front 2 were all fed the LFE signal. the levels screen was great for getting things nice and tight balance-wise.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #1991 of 1999 Old 12-02-2014, 06:24 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post
When I had the RS20i in our demo room I fed 8 subwoofers with 1 input signal (via channel routing), this was before he bass management system was finalized- so we had to play with different configurations to get the various channels to work well.

Initially, I paired our front 2 side woofers with the mains as the lowpass, the side 2 and rear 2 and front 2 were all fed the LFE signal. the levels screen was great for getting things nice and tight balance-wise.

Dan
Hi Dan, I am a little confused by your old setup.

You have a total of 8 subs, two each of the following:

front side (these are located somewhere between the front and side subs?)
front
side
rear

You say that all 8 subs were driven with one input signal (the LFE I assume), but I think you mean only 6 subs were so driven, the fronts, sides, and rears, as you state in second paragraph. The front side left sub received only the LP from the left front main speaker and same for right main front and right front side, effectively making the front main left and right full range speakers. Is that right? Where did the LP from all the other speakers go?
post #1992 of 1999 Old 12-02-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yup, sorry, I mistyped. I meant 6 off lfe and 2 off full range mains. Back then the prototype had really basic bass management: like only large or small with rather limited options beyond crossover frequency (you also had frequency at the channel mapping screen). Even basic bass management will steer bass from all channels to the sub output, in this particular case I grouped it so I had 12 Dirac channels to cover the entire theater: 7 high pass and the 8 subs (paired some up).

I think what I ended up doing was run all 7 channels as small and send bass to all 8 subs since the sound wasn't all that different between the 2 scenarios and I had the added benefit of the extra subs during stereo playback (smoother and tighter bass).

When I received the final production unit the bass management was vastly more flexible and offered better options for bass steering. That unit was tested purely for menu functionality feedback, the sound hadn't changed at all.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #1993 of 1999 Old 12-06-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Anyone using IRULE with the DATASAT??

I need help figuring out FEEDBACK showing the SURROUND MODE that is in use (e.g. AURO 3D, PLL IIx, PL IIz, DTS NEOx).

Anyone??

Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 8.22.13 AM.png
Views:	14
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	405050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 8.22.13 AM.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	405058  

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009

Last edited by thebland; 12-06-2014 at 06:27 AM.
post #1994 of 1999 Old 12-09-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best way to listen to 2 channel audio

Hi

Over the weekend I connected my Astell & Kern 120MKII digital audio player via optical out to the Datasat RS20i using a Toslink optical cable. The foramt being out put by the Datasat is shownig as PCM2.0. Whilst the sound quality is very good on standard 16nit/44KHZ tracks, when I played DSD or 24bit/192khz tracks it still outputted PCM 2.0. Is this correct and what is the best way to listen to 2 channel audio on a processor like Datasat? What is the configuration that most people use for 2 channel audio?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #1995 of 1999 Old 12-10-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yapota View Post
Hi

Over the weekend I connected my Astell & Kern 120MKII digital audio player via optical out to the Datasat RS20i using a Toslink optical cable. The foramt being out put by the Datasat is shownig as PCM2.0. Whilst the sound quality is very good on standard 16nit/44KHZ tracks, when I played DSD or 24bit/192khz tracks it still outputted PCM 2.0.
Is the Astell & Kern device able to output DSD over its optical connection? Though its a mute point, as the RS20i can't handle DSD streams sadly, they have to be pre-converted to PCM.

Quote:
Is this correct and what is the best way to listen to 2 channel audio on a processor like Datasat?
Well its a perfectly acceptable way to get digital music into the RS20i, but given that it has balanced digital inputs it might be worth trying those if you have device that supports them.

Quote:
What is the configuration that most people use for 2 channel audio?

Thanks in advance for your help.
For most of my 2 channel music I use my seperate two channel stereo system, but when using the RS20i in my multi-channel system, pretty much exclusively via the Auro3D upmixer.
post #1996 of 1999 Old 12-14-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The Atmos sound is coming only in 2015 (February maybe) on the Datasat because they are making improvments in the sound.

One thing is buying a Denon with Atmos decoding, another thing is a High End Processor to deliver the full scale detailed sound.
post #1997 of 1999 Old 12-16-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All,

Been following this thread for few months now but giving up on my Home Theatre hobby due to life style change, moving out of a home and into a apartment. I am selling all my Gear including my Datasat.

I have a Datasat RS20I advertised at the Classified section for $15,000 dollars Including the Microphone Kit and Dirac License. This is upgraded to latest firmware but with out the Auro3d upgrades. 2 ~Year warranty is included the unit is logged with Datasat USA. Just trying to get rid of my speaker and processor the amps are all sold.

Price of the Unit with out the Microphone Kit & Diract License CD. $13,500.00

Link: Datasat RS20I Processor with Diract Microphone Kit & License

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...

Last edited by Bassfeen; 12-16-2014 at 08:53 PM.
post #1998 of 1999 Old Today, 03:14 PM

Can anyone with the Auro3D upgrade AND dirac engaged, confirm for me whether you can get the Auro upmixer (or indeed any of the upmixers) to work on 24/192 stereo files?

Mine seems to be working fine on all files of 24/96 or below, but as soon as I switch to 24/192 all I get is stereo?!

Not sure if its a setting error on my part or a Datasat limitation?
post #1999 of 1999 Old Today, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Can anyone with the Auro3D upgrade AND dirac engaged, confirm for me whether you can get the Auro upmixer (or indeed any of the upmixers) to work on 24/192 stereo files?

Mine seems to be working fine on all files of 24/96 or below, but as soon as I switch to 24/192 all I get is stereo?!

Not sure if its a setting error on my part or a Datasat limitation?
Yeah no go here also. Do have support of 88.2khz tho. Which is nice as one can now upmix SACD played from oppo. But they clearly by pass the processing with 96k and up.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)