Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 71 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes
post #2101 of 2123 Old 01-23-2015, 11:36 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Would problem be solved simply by users obtaining "installer kit" that you mentioned? If you were not kidding about the "installer kit," what is it and is it available for end users? Cost?
For the Datasat? Wooki says no target curve manipulation without it. IIRC it's >$2K, though that price includes a nice Earthworks mic. There's no "Install Kit" for Trinnov, and one isn't needed to make any and all changes to the system post-calibration. Cal does require the purchase of the four-head mic, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
...On top of that, it takes some hours of listening, over different days, to really get the full measure of the system's characteristics of which target curve (spectral balance) plays a significant role. As advised in Contact -- small moves. Then listen carefully. Rinse, repeat.
Exactly, Roger! Imagine doing that via endless pay-as-you-go telecons with your dealer. Expensive and unnecessary, IMHO, after initial install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2123 Old 01-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
For example, one way to get better bass punch from the subwoofer at 50 Hz is by reducing the obscurity caused by the main speakers >100 Hz
what do you mean by "obscurity" in this context?
post #2103 of 2123 Old 01-23-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Would problem be solved simply by users obtaining "installer kit" that you mentioned? If you were not kidding about the "installer kit," what is it and is it available for end users? Cost?
You can buy a datasat dongle to touch up target curves only....
post #2104 of 2123 Old 01-23-2015, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
You can buy a datasat dongle to touch up target curves only....
Not legitimately
post #2105 of 2123 Old 01-23-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 194
These are th forums. It's all about illegitimacy!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #2106 of 2123 Old 01-23-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
what do you mean by "obscurity" in this context?
Auditory masking. Excess content in upper bass can mask the lower bass fundamentals.
3ll3d00d likes this.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #2107 of 2123 Old 01-23-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Hi Nyal,

Although I've consistently advocated professional setup of these sophisticated pre-pros (Trinnov/Datasat/etc.) due to complexity and consequent opportunities for trouble, we'll have to disagree where it comes to manipulating target curves. This is a basic function that anyone can and should learn to use it without losing their baseline settings or blowing up their system.

With a little practice, they might even learn to adjust rumble, punch and sharpness without paying for the privilege.

Ken

I don't disagree unfortunately the way Dirac licensing works you need to have a license to change the target curve and re-generate the filters. And with Datasat the license is tied to the installer kit, not the RS20i.

The installer kit is over $2k dealer cost.

Maybe this could be changed in the future.

In any event I reiterate this is not a retail piece and if you are paying 20k for something it absolutely should be set up by someone who knows what they are doing. Which excludes 99.99% of AV dealers and 99.9999% of customers.

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.

Last edited by Nyal Mellor; 01-23-2015 at 08:05 PM.
post #2108 of 2123 Old Yesterday, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Perhaps Dirac could offer a number of different ' stock' or house curves that a normal end user /consumer can switch between?
post #2109 of 2123 Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Auditory masking. Excess content in upper bass can mask the lower bass fundamentals.
Actually in a Rotary subwoofer installation the reverse can be true too.
post #2110 of 2123 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Up and running. I will say I envy the guys who have set the RS20i up on their own. I picked it up late yesterday and as of a little bit ago I have all my speakers/subs connected (14 channels) and am using 9.1H until Atmos hits. My Height 2 s will be silent. I did happen to notice a couple things I heard when I was setting up the speakers that I have never heard. One moment was clear dialogue that has always been drowned out with every component I have had including the McIntosh MX151. More on that later but I am still struggling getting to control it over the internet. All tests are OK and it says Linked Up. All my info is there even showing which address it should be on. For the life of me I can't get it to connect and I have never had an issue connecting other components before. I will say I am a ninja on the front display screen but for Volume it would be a lot easier obviously using an iPad or iPhone. I will try again in a little bit if anyone has any ideas...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #2111 of 2123 Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Oh and in case anyone is keeping score mine came with the latest (new) firmware already installed.

post #2112 of 2123 Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Up and running. I will say I envy the guys who have set the RS20i up on their own. I picked it up late yesterday and as of a little bit ago I have all my speakers/subs connected (14 channels) and am using 9.1H until Atmos hits. My Height 2 s will be silent. I did happen to notice a couple things I heard when I was setting up the speakers that I have never heard. One moment was clear dialogue that has always been drowned out with every component I have had including the McIntosh MX151. More on that later but I am still struggling getting to control it over the internet. All tests are OK and it says Linked Up. All my info is there even showing which address it should be on. For the life of me I can't get it to connect and I have never had an issue connecting other components before. I will say I am a ninja on the front display screen but for Volume it would be a lot easier obviously using an iPad or iPhone. I will try again in a little bit if anyone has any ideas...
Hi Joe,

I run mine with iRule. All commands are in their database and it works perfectly. There are almost 100 commands. It is a complicated piece to get to know. I am still trying to understand it all.

I have never used their internet control (VNC)? Likely it would be very slow.

Will you be able to run DIRAC or have someone calibrate it?

You should be able to run all your speakers - did you say your heights will be silent?. Set up for Auro (does your unit have AURO)? What is your speaker config?
joerod likes this.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #2113 of 2123 Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
I use VNC viewer on my ipad for the LS10 and it works flawsless! The password by default for the LS10 was just a - sign! So maybe the same for the RS20?
joerod likes this.

Last edited by westmd; Yesterday at 03:41 PM.
post #2114 of 2123 Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thank you guys! You have made our life (well mine) a lot easier for tonight. We have her parents coming over for a movie or two. Can't wait!

post #2115 of 2123 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you guys! You have made our life (well mine) a lot easier for tonight. We have her parents coming over for a movie or two. Can't wait!
Have fun!

Just been through a scary movie with my wife! She is normally quite hardboiled but was scared shitless this time. She admitted in the end that the sound was the main reason that the movie got to her much more!
joerod likes this.
post #2116 of 2123 Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Hi Joe,

I run mine with iRule. All commands are in their database and it works perfectly. There are almost 100 commands. It is a complicated piece to get to know. I am still trying to understand it all.

I have never used their internet control (VNC)? Likely it would be very slow.

Will you be able to run DIRAC or have someone calibrate it?

You should be able to run all your speakers - did you say your heights will be silent?. Set up for Auro (does your unit have AURO)? What is your speaker config?
Hey there Bland,
I am hopefully getting the Dirac treatment this week. My Height 2 (back ones) will be silent until Atmos hits. In the meantime I will go back a year and use Height. I had been using Atmos with a couple other models. My RS20i did not come with Auro. Wasn't sure it was worth the extra with Atmos coming real soon and then hopefully DTS X. I could inquire about it if you guys think it is worth having. With them coming out to do Dirac maybe I could get it added as well?

As for my speaker config I am doing 7.3.4.

Thanks for the response. I will check out iRule and in the meantime use VNC Viewer.

post #2117 of 2123 Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
I use VNC viewer on my ipad for the LS10 and it works flawsless! The password by default for the LS10 was just a - sign! So maybe the same for the RS20?
Thanks for the tip! VNC Viewer works fine.

post #2118 of 2123 Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey there Bland,
I am hopefully getting the Dirac treatment this week. My Height 2 (back ones) will be silent until Atmos hits. In the meantime I will go back a year and use Height. I had been using Atmos with a couple other models. My RS20i did not come with Auro. Wasn't sure it was worth the extra with Atmos coming real soon and then hopefully DTS X. I could inquire about it if you guys think it is worth having. With them coming out to do Dirac maybe I could get it added as well?

As for my speaker config I am doing 7.3.4.

Thanks for the response. I will check out iRule and in the meantime use VNC Viewer.
Just have avlook at the last 5 Widescreen Review issues. They have a very extensive comparison Auro / Atmos highlighting in an equipment review of the LS10 with Auro. Further there are some very good entries in the Auro3D thread here on the AVSForum.
Connecting all this information I think especially for legacy sound formats Auro works better. If Auro will ever get a big share of native content is another question and only time will tell.
post #2119 of 2123 Old Today, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Joe, did you buy this or are you just demoing it?

You may be right. Legacy tracks may end up best on Auro.

post #2120 of 2123 Unread Today, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Instead of keeping both the Height 2 (backs) silent I figured I may as well fire them up for the Super Bowl crowd effect. Have I mentioned yet how I am already a big fan of this thing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	501089  
westmd likes this.

post #2121 of 2123 Unread Today, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Since you're with a brand new unit. Take a picture of the info screen so we can see if there is software or the likes. Thanks.

Maybe you missed it but did you buy or just trying out?

Either way... Congrats!

post #2122 of 2123 Unread Today, 09:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Since you're with a brand new unit. Take a picture of the info screen so we can see if there is software or the likes. Thanks.

Maybe you missed it but did you buy or just trying out?

Either way... Congrats!
I'm all in now!

I will take a pic soon.
thebland likes this.

post #2123 of 2123 Unread Today, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

System Info

I pixeled out the serial number. Someone in the 1000/1100ES thread at one time told me it was never a good idea to post it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	501209  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)