Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 76 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes
post #2251 of 2263 Old 03-01-2015, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All

I need some advice. Since the last software update on the Datasat RS20i, I have been having a lot of HDMI handshake issues between my Oppo 103D and the Datasat. I only pass the audio signal from the second Oppo output suing the spit A/v function. The Datasat does no video processing at all and has nothing connected to the HDMI output connection.

In order to establish the handshake I have had to turn off and on the Datasat a couple of time and then the handshake occurs. I change input to say Apple TV and then go back to the Oppo input it will not switch sound back I have turn the Datasat off again. Since last night its got even worse, I am not getting any sound through the HDMI inputs. The GUI shows No Audio on the upper right hand corner.

I have tried different cables and different sources to no avail. The Optical (Toslink) and Coaxial inputs seem to be unaffected. My delaer commented that the HDMI card is very sensitive to the current being carried via HDMI cables. The dealer thinks the HDMI card will need to be replaced.

I would appreciate any suggestions on things to double check or try to get this working in case its not the HDMI card

Thanks for your help

yapota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2263 Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 106
In realm of the famous video processor people use a lot here, we have heard the subject of cable reflections, where short hdmi cables get some kind of ricochet effect, 2 years ago they said best to use 10 foot long cables, now with 4k they are saying 15 foot longs, try an input cable that long and see if any difference. This has to do with the gain on the MDS input card , they have been creeping up to try guarnatee stability, the reflection could be an issue.
post #2253 of 2263 Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by yapota View Post
Hi All

I need some advice. Since the last software update on the Datasat RS20i, I have been having a lot of HDMI handshake issues between my Oppo 103D and the Datasat. I only pass the audio signal from the second Oppo output suing the spit A/v function. The Datasat does no video processing at all and has nothing connected to the HDMI output connection.

In order to establish the handshake I have had to turn off and on the Datasat a couple of time and then the handshake occurs. I change input to say Apple TV and then go back to the Oppo input it will not switch sound back I have turn the Datasat off again. Since last night its got even worse, I am not getting any sound through the HDMI inputs. The GUI shows No Audio on the upper right hand corner.

I have tried different cables and different sources to no avail. The Optical (Toslink) and Coaxial inputs seem to be unaffected. My delaer commented that the HDMI card is very sensitive to the current being carried via HDMI cables. The dealer thinks the HDMI card will need to be replaced.

I would appreciate any suggestions on things to double check or try to get this working in case its not the HDMI card

Thanks for your help

yapota
What handshake issue? No audio? No video?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #2254 of 2263 Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Hi All

Thanks for your help

yapota
I also use a 103D with my RS20i. Both have the latest updates. I know another owner who had the same issue as yours using a Marantz 7009. Have you updated the 103D recently? Also, to make sure it is not the RS20i I would use just one Hdmi cable from the 103D and connect the RS20i's Hdmi out to wherever you are sending it the image. Also, try another blu-ray player. And lastly you do know you can hit UPDATE on the RS20i and select the source as Main Server. There all the previous updates will appear (about 45 seconds later). You could always as a last resort roll back to 1.03.02 and see if that solves it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	578193  

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063

Last edited by joerod; Yesterday at 10:27 AM.
post #2255 of 2263 Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Hi All

Thanks for your help

yapota

These HDMI handshake problems are being investigated by Datasat. There are several of us (probably many) that are experiencing exactly what you described. After many attempts at fixing the problem, it is still a problem. It is likely not your Oppo. I tested it with my Oppo and K Players, and Dish Receiver, and have the same problem with each. Sometimes the audio works on startup, sometimes it does not (and like you, I have to power the RS20i Off and On to get the correct handshake). I have not spoken to Datasat about this recently, but I assume they are still trying to find a fix.

Jim
post #2256 of 2263 Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
In realm of the famous video processor people use a lot here, we have heard the subject of cable reflections, where short hdmi cables get some kind of ricochet effect, 2 years ago they said best to use 10 foot long cables, now with 4k they are saying 15 foot longs, try an input cable that long and see if any difference. This has to do with the gain on the MDS input card , they have been creeping up to try guarnatee stability, the reflection could be an issue.
For regular HD Lumagen, etc say 1.5M or 6 foot HDMI cables. As I don't have 4K for my projector,I can't comment on that.

However, I think you might be real surprised. Get the Monoprice 18gbs Redmere cables. Redmere is tech with a computer chip at each end to ensure what goes in goes out. Been using lately for all my HD needs (except for "thick" 24 guage BlueJeans Cable in wall to projector - that would be a pain to replace) and I feel the picture is as good or better than ever. I would be curious if one of these excellent but el cheapo cables might cause your problem. Oh - I am also using one from my Media Server to Theta CBIV over HDMI, and subjectively am of the impression that my multi-channel sonics over HDMI are somewhat better than the BlueJeans thick HDMI cable I had been using.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #2257 of 2263 Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
What handshake issue? No audio? No video?
I only pass the audio signal to the HDMI input in the Datasat. I dont use the Datasat for any video processing.
post #2258 of 2263 Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I also have had this HDMI handshake problem with my RS20i, where no audio is heard when you first turn the unit on. I think this is a problem with the RS20i not successfully accomplishing the handshake during its boot sequence. My workaround, rather than rebooting the Datasat every time, is to switch to an analog source prior to turning it off each night. That way, when I power up the RS20i the next day, the source is an analog (non-HDMI) source. After the startup is complete, I switch to my HDMI source (Kaleidescape in my case). It seems to handle the HDMI handshake every time.
post #2259 of 2263 Old Today, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelittle View Post
I also have had this HDMI handshake problem with my RS20i, where no audio is heard when you first turn the unit on. I think this is a problem with the RS20i not successfully accomplishing the handshake during its boot sequence. My workaround, rather than rebooting the Datasat every time, is to switch to an analog source prior to turning it off each night. That way, when I power up the RS20i the next day, the source is an analog (non-HDMI) source. After the startup is complete, I switch to my HDMI source (Kaleidescape in my case). It seems to handle the HDMI handshake every time.
Hi

Thanks for your suggestion there, I shall try it tonight. The frustrating thing is the failure happened exactly at the point when someone who had come round to my place noticed the Datasat and after I had waxed lyrical about its capabalites and sound, the Datasat would not output any sound!!

Quick question. Would your suggestion work with a Toslink (optical) source.

Thanks
post #2260 of 2263 Old Today, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelittle View Post
Hi

Thanks for your suggestion there, I shall try it tonight. The frustrating thing is the failure happened exactly at the point when someone who had come round to my place noticed the Datasat and after I had waxed lyrical about its capabalites and sound, the Datasat would not output any sound!!

Thanks
The same problem with my LS10 in connection with an OPPO 103D! I had a HDMI 1:4 matrixer which I took out of the chain and using a new 2:4 HDMI matrix/swz. Have way less problems now!
post #2261 of 2263 Unread Today, 01:48 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Hi

Thanks
Toslink should be a good choice. You can program the RS20i to go to whatever source you want when you boot up. I forget which menu has the choice, but it is there.

The few times I had a problem with the HDMI handshake (loss of sound) just going into and out of standby fixed the problem (very quick), had no need to power down.
post #2262 of 2263 Unread Today, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post
Toslink should be a good choice. You can program the RS20i to go to whatever source you want when you boot up. I forget which menu has the choice, but it is there.

The few times I had a problem with the HDMI handshake (loss of sound) just going into and out of standby fixed the problem (very quick), had no need to power down.
It's really odd all these handshake issues. I run an oppo 93, Apple TV, ROKU, TIVO all hdmi and I don't think I have ever had a single issue. It's been completely stable since I took delivery, probably nearly two years ago now?

But, if you go to Inputs there is a drop down that will allow you to choose what input it switches to when powering on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	581185  
post #2263 of 2263 Unread Today, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Is the Oppo 103 a consistent player in those with the handshake issues? The 103 is my 'player #1 ' where it is source of choice on power up.

Anyone else?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page