Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 78 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes
post #2311 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post
So long as you can chose to engage Atmos as native or ignore the ATMOS flags, then you should still be able to apply Auro to the atmos stream as you can now. I know the denons and Marantz processors are no where near the level of the DataSat but EVERY atmos disk I have played back thru AURO on the DATASAT sounds so much better than atmos does thru the denons etc. all else in the chain remains the same... Just the processors are changed out.
I sure hop that is not the case with the datasat, it's a disturbing thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post
I honestly don't think 80% of the users even need more than 16 channels but then again I could be wrong.

I do like the warmth of the Datasat myself, am hopeful 16 speakers suffice for most homes. Unfortunately using the Gravity Houston Houston clip, the more speakers you have the tighter the sound effects wrap around your head. Ive heard that clip in maybe 25 different cinema show demos the only two that did it right was Dolby Premiere, and JBL Synthesis segment, they all had more than 38 speakers.
post #2313 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
I do like the warmth of the Datasat myself, am hopeful 16 speakers suffice for most homes. Unfortunately using the Gravity Houston Houston clip, the more speakers you have the tighter the sound effects wrap around your head. Ive heard that clip in maybe 25 different cinema show demos the only two that did it right was Dolby Premiere, and JBL Synthesis segment, they all had more than 38 speakers.

I agree 100% not only is it warm sounding, its transparent at the same time and has gobs of bass. I guess those 38 speaker system is for private theatres?

3 X Quested LT20 Total: $12600.00 For all 3!
2 X Quested LT10 Total: $4800.00 for Pair
4 X Quested LT8 Total: $4000.00 For all 4
3 X Quested AP1550 Amplifiers with Filter Cards Installed used as Mono Blocks for the LT20 Loudspeaker $6500.00 for all 3 Amplifiers.
2 x Quested AP750 Amplifiers $ $2450.00 for both amplifiers.
post #2314 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I agree 100% not only is it warm sounding, its transparent at the same time and has gobs of bass. I guess those 38 speaker system is for private theatres?
Some but home too, we have the first one TRITON going in Germany with Quested. 34 speakers 32 channels. And remapping on front heights and ceiling rows.
post #2315 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Some but home too, we have the first one TRITON going in Germany with Quested. 34 speakers 32 channels. And remapping on front heights and ceiling rows.

With Trinnov? If so I wander how that sounds! only if you could stack up and make 2 Datasat work together for 32 channels that would be cool!

3 X Quested AP1550 Amplifiers with Filter Cards Installed used as Mono Blocks for the LT20 Loudspeaker $6500.00 for all 3 Amplifiers.
post #2316 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
With Trinnov? If so I wander how that sounds! only if you could stack up and make 2 Datasat work together for 32 channels that would be cool!
Apparently from initial tests on the initial 18 LT-24 the Questeds are sounding good with it, and Curt is babysitting the whole thing so it will be good.

We will know better when the other 10 mainly front z speakers get there.

Stacked Datasats wont work there is a 16 channel input limitation.

The Trinnov will sound great with the help of or for experienced audio people/owners.

What I love about the datasat is that it will always get you 85% there within first half day.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; Yesterday at 10:02 AM.
post #2317 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Overhere the first commercial Atmos theaters, not too large at 300-400 seats, use 64 speakers.

Last edited by donaldk; Yesterday at 01:41 PM.
post #2318 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #2319 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

Quote:
The maximum achievable with a home theater hdmi based unit is 32 channels 34 speakers, currently Trinnov Altitude can do, datasat can do 16, Theta will go up to 24, but by that time Datasat will also have something.

The cp-850 cinema dolby unit that is now hdmi home atmos compatible has a limit of 64 channels.

Ahh Datasat is making new Processor to counter punch Trinnov :-)

post #2320 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 41
With the Theta Casablanca we are headed for lots of channels.. 24+.. Casablanca of course is known for amazing dacs and appeals heavily to 2 Channel audiophiles and multi channel rooms demanding high end dacs and total upgradability..

The RS20 is gaining traction and my new unit should be here in a week or so.. I also brought in a LS10 to play with to compare as well..

I believe that theta and datasat will have some great years coming with their expandability and growing customer base.. I worry about some other brands being discussed here as the footprint is very small and I don't think a lot of them will be around..

Theta has been at this for almost 20 years and datasat has its feet in commercial theaters which makes their processors so interesting. People get the fact that if its good for an imax theater its gotta be good for my home and I agree..

The channel amounts are getting silly as people think they want 32 plus and ultimately how many people are going to have more than 16/20 channels ?

I'm super excited about my new datasat units and I will update you guys more as I make some progress with them..

Thx
Craig
post #2321 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Ps.. I ordered both units with auro and I ordered Dirac for the rs20 which I didn't have on my original rs20..

The Casablanca Dirac is turning out to be a miracle and I expect it to be the same on my rs20.. Can't wait..

Joerod, are you using Dirac on your 20 ?

Craig
post #2322 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
The maximum achievable with a home theater hdmi based unit is 32 channels 34 speakers, currently Trinnov Altitude can do, datasat can do 16, Theta will go up to 24, but by that time Datasat will also have something.

The cp-850 cinema dolby unit that is now hdmi home atmos compatible has a limit of 64 channels.

Ahh Datasat is making new Processor to counter punch Trinnov :-)
Bass
I don't think they need a new chassis.. Have you seen the back of the rs20? Lots of card slots for expansion.. I am sure with their over engineered processors that they can add another 16 channels no problem..

This is why theta and datasat will rule this business .. Their hardware upgradability is supreme ..
post #2323 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

The channel amounts are getting silly as people think they want 32 plus and ultimately how many people are going to have more than 16/20 channels ?
Hi Craig, I agree with your comments but your dismissal of high channel counts is GREATLY MISINFORMED, and in my opinion Naive. Seek out the 32 channel experiences where you will find objects tracking way closer to your head than in those that do not have that resolution, it is very simple, instruments are positioned in just one speaker in some of the latest mixes, so whomever says 32 is too much, you are gravely miss informed do the Gravity Houston Houston test, it should image exactly like in the Atmos Room.

Seek and you should find. 32 channels is good.

Best!
post #2324 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Bass
I don't think they need a new chassis.. Have you seen the back of the rs20? Lots of card slots for expansion.. I am sure with their over engineered processors that they can add another 16 channels no problem..

Ahead of you on that one, I tried last October.

Trust me the rs-20i maxes out at 16 inputs. I had already proposed the stack only to find out not possible.
post #2325 of 2326 Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

I
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Craig, I agree with your comments but your dismissal of high channel counts is GREATLY MISINFORMED, and in my opinion Naive. Seek out the 32 channel experiences where you will find objects tracking way closer to your head than in those that do not have that resolution, it is very simple, instruments are positioned in just one speaker in some of the latest mixes, so whomever says 32 is too much, you are gravely miss informed do the Gravity Houston Houston test, it should image exactly like in the Atmos Room.

Seek and you should find. 32 channels is good.

Best!
Cine

Where is that room? It has more ceiling speakers than most rooms have surrounds.. That's awesome.. Have you been in it ?

I hear what your saying on high channel counts and Im sure as time progreses and people get to experience atmos rooms they will consider putting more speakers in their rooms.. I hear chatter that auro sounds better than atmos in most situations.. Have you heard this ?
post #2326 of 2326 Unread Today, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Bass

This is why theta and datasat will rule this business .. Their hardware upgradability is supreme ..
Last night i was having a long conversation with a business friend of mine (From Singapore) who also has this crazy hobby for home theater. He tried out the Datasat rs20i but kept his Theta line as he claims Theta sounds better!.... all relative and personal taste i guess. His been in this hobby for over 15 years longer than i have and i gave up on mine lol few months back. Maybe in 2-3 years when i get a proper house il be back with full vengeance!

I cant compare the Datasat to Theta, as i have not yet heard the theta line, but im very sure its right up there with Datasat for Sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page