Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 131Likes
post #2341 of 2653 Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 PM
IMMERSION GURU

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unherdable View Post

But on multiple Atmos channels.... I am not totally convinced. I simply don't want my theatre to look like what I see in some of these photos, with speakers everywhere.
You can cover the whole thing up with a canopy like Dolby Cinema Does and Europa is planned. The Europa renders were early generation speaker positioning was challenging, Dolby has obviously improved on the concept where they keep the array intact. Still I think we thought about it first.

An advantage of the fabric canopy is that you can have re-positionable speaker brackets and acoustical treatment flexibility. It is not that difficult to do.

sdrucker likes this.

F-1 Class Immersion Systems blogs: Here & Here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2653 Old 04-04-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelittle View Post
I also have had this HDMI handshake problem with my RS20i, where no audio is heard when you first turn the unit on. I think this is a problem with the RS20i not successfully accomplishing the handshake during its boot sequence. My workaround, rather than rebooting the Datasat every time, is to switch to an analog source prior to turning it off each night. That way, when I power up the RS20i the next day, the source is an analog (non-HDMI) source. After the startup is complete, I switch to my HDMI source (Kaleidescape in my case). It seems to handle the HDMI handshake every time.
I have been plagued by no audio at start-up for some time.
My unit is from early this year.
I've tried different configurations all with similar results.

I will try the workaround next time I'm home.
Has this worked for anyone else?
Is this something you can do via VNC?

TL

Last edited by trans_lux; 04-04-2015 at 04:29 PM.
post #2343 of 2653 Old 04-04-2015, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The handshake issue on startup is being diligently worked by Dataset's engineers. They are hopeful a fix is near for those of us encountering the problem, could be any day.

Jim
post #2344 of 2653 Old 04-04-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post
The handshake issue on startup is being diligently worked by Dataset's engineers. They are hopeful a fix is near for those of us encountering the problem, could be any day.
Jim
Jim thanks for the update.
I have been in communication with them as well but have not gotten this feedback.
If anything I've been told that there are no issues.

I did see a post from Jim @ Lumagen re: a resolution issue with the RS20i.
Quote:
Using the Radiance output to send audio to the Datasat RS20i:

Almost all Radiance with Datasat systems have always worked well, but there were a couple that did not. We now believe we know the cause of these couple systems’ issues.

It turns out that the Datasat RS20i currently (sounds like they plan on an update to resolve this) does not work if the Datasat receives 2048x1080p source. This is not an issue with normal source devices, but if the Radiance is connected to a 2048x1080 projector or display, such as a DCI projector, that reports a 2048x1080p mode in its EDID, the Radiance will automatically select to that video output mode in its default “Auto 2,1” state. So if the Datasat is connected to Output 1 for audio as we recommend, it would not play audio if the projector/display is 2048x1080.

Until Datasat gets this updated in their software there are two possible work-around options:
1) The installer can program the Radiance output to be the standard consumer 1920x1080 output mode. We did this and the Datasat audio started working for our test.
2) The installer can program the Radiance Output 1 going to the Datasat to be “audio only.” We did this for our test and audio started working on the Datasat. As long as Datasat implements all HDMI interrupts this will work fine.
post #2345 of 2653 Old 04-04-2015, 08:59 PM
IMMERSION GURU

It's better to go native than scale to 2kdci anyways.

That being said I was hoping to upgrade skoll and prometheus in summer and atmos card is pushed back to August, and Jeff!!!! This is not highly beneficial to be sure.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 04-04-2015 at 09:03 PM.
post #2346 of 2653 Old 04-05-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 296
August? Really??

I'm glad I have Auro.

Glad to hear there is progress on the HDMI issue.

Unlike what is going on in the Radiance, resolution is not the issue.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #2347 of 2653 Old 04-05-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
August? Really??
I'm glad I have Auro.
Glad to hear there is progress on the HDMI issue.
Unlike what is going on in the Radiance, resolution is not the issue.
Same here no video passes through mine.

While I think its unacceptable for a product of this caliber to have showstopping issues for this long I can live with it. Hell I had a S&W Interpolator so anything is tolerable.

But the wife and kids are beyond frustrated. At this point they have no interest in using the theater.
Hopefully this gets worked out soon.
post #2348 of 2653 Old 04-05-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post

While I think its unacceptable for a product of this caliber to have showstopping issues for this long I can live with it. Hell I had a S&W Interpolator so anything is tolerable.

But the wife and kids are beyond frustrated. At this point they have no interest in using the theater.
Yes. When we have guests. I have to a lot extra time to get things up and going. I've been embarrassed a number of times if my guests fill up the room before I can fire it up.

I'm with you. This needs to be resolved to 100% reliability. Like have had with all my previous SSPs. Glad they're on it.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #2349 of 2653 Old 04-05-2015, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post

Sounds like you have a bad HDMI Board.

post #2350 of 2653 Old 04-06-2015, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Last week I was told by Datasat uk that they managed to replicate the hdmi problem. By doing this they could make a software fix that will be available very soon. Up until now they couldn't identify the problem because the hdmi activity is not (yet) included in the rs20i log.
So ask your dealer to watch for beta firmware releases soon.

Kind regards,
post #2351 of 2653 Old 04-06-2015, 04:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

On the sonic side of things, what an excellent piece this RS-20i is. Haven;t watch a movie in nearly a month - but what a treat Interstellar was last night on the Datasat.

The AURO upmixing I used for the DTS 5.1 mix of Interstellar was fantastic and really took the viewer into the 'worm hole'. I was simply in awe. As the recording of McConnaughy;s voice was very low (in terms of output) throughout the film but intelligibility was really top notch and I could hear most all of it - even during some very potent sequences - that said, there've been better recordings. There were many portions of this film where there was absolute silence - then powerful sound. The dynamic range is just off the charts now. I was amazed how quiet it was. Just amazing. (also walling off all the equipment and projector has made the room almost 'creepy' quiet - best upgrade I've ever done on the room).

And hats off to Mark Seaton, the space scenes had bass that made my pants flap on many occasions - yet so controlled and no bloating. My 10 year old was simply laughing at the effect during those sequences.

I fully enjoyed the film and the nearly 3 hours went by in a minute.
Mark Seaton likes this.

Last edited by thebland; 04-06-2015 at 04:25 AM.
post #2352 of 2653 Old 04-06-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes. When we have guests. I have to a lot extra time to get things up and going. I've been embarrassed a number of times if my guests fill up the room before I can fire it up.
I'm with you. This needs to be resolved to 100% reliability. Like have had with all my previous SSPs. Glad they're on it.
This sounds excruciatingly familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post
Sounds like you have a bad HDMI Board.
I don't think so as this is my 2nd unit. 1st was replaced due a " bad HDMI board" But anything is possible.
thebland likes this.
post #2353 of 2653 Old 04-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 47
For once I am happy to have been an early adopter... My unit is like a tank. Unshakable.
post #2354 of 2653 Old 04-06-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post
For once I am happy to have been an early adopter... My unit is like a tank. Unshakable.
I've never had an issue until Easter (yesterday) when we had the no audio issue. And I always fire up everything and make sure it is on but didn't get a chance to since we all went out to eat first. I was able to get it after a power recycle of the 103D. It was long forgotten after Whiplash and Big Hero 6 3D! Glad they are close to finding a fix. Would be frustrating if it happened a lot. My fix is to leave the RS20i on. Continuously.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Datasat combo using Auro-3D:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1426295399824
post #2355 of 2653 Old 04-06-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I used a poster's suggestion to power down while in an analog input and then power up into an analog input and then have my remote control macro take me to my desired HDMI input. I just made the changes in my remote macro so there is no extra steps for me to do.

This has helped.

BTW - these Furman 20 amp sequencers for my 4 Quested Amplifiers and 2 Seaton amplifiers work very well using RS-232.

Best I could find! now, my whole system is literally one button press to fire it up - and shut down!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9185.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	651705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9184.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	651713  

post #2356 of 2653 Old 04-07-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post

Probably because you have the original HDMI board (or at least a version earlier than the one that has been shipping lately). They offered to change my unit to the older board, but I declined hoping for a fix (which should be available soon).

Jim
post #2357 of 2653 Old 04-07-2015, 03:44 PM
IMMERSION GURU

Cool

Quote:
August? Really??

But this is not the 1st implementation of Atmos that the receivers and first processor out the gate have, this will be rev 2, better in ways not divulged yet. That is why the delay.
stephenbr likes this.

post #2358 of 2653 Old 04-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Happy to wait till August if this brings a rev. 2 version of Atmos. Hopefully by then more movies will be available with Atmos too so I can have partake in a binge viewing session!
post #2359 of 2653 Old 04-09-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

DTS-X

I want this new dialog feature built into the DATASAT~!

CALABASAS, Calif., April 9, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- DTS, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTSI), a global leader in audio technology solutions, has unveiled further details about DTS:X, its open, next-generation, object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology. DTS:X replicates a real-world sound environment that transports the audience into a new dimension of sound immersion by delivering truly captivating entertainment experiences in the cinema and at home. The technology also provides numerous customization options for cinema and home theater owners.

Unlike existing surround sound systems, DTS:X is not tied to prescribed speaker configurations or a specific number of audio channels. DTS:X adapts to the viewing environment, allowing for a flexible speaker configuration that best fits the viewing space. DTS:X more accurately conveys the fluid movement of sound to create a richer entertainment soundscape than has previously been possible by moving sound objects to and through specific locations within - in front of, behind, above and beside the audience, precisely where the mixer placed them.

"DTS:X is built on the foundation of providing an open, adaptable solution for content creators, cinemas and homes to fulfill our goal of bringing immersive audio to as many people around the world as possible," said Jon Kirchner, chairman and CEO of DTS, Inc. "Until recently, sound in movie theaters and in our homes has been dictated by a standardized speaker layout. Through the use of object-based audio, DTS:X is able to scale immersive soundtrack presentations across a wide range of playback systems, from efficient to extravagant, while staying true to the content creator's vision. This approach delivers the most authentic three-dimensional audio experience ever, making the audience feel as if they are in the center of the action."

DTS:X + CINEMA
In 1993, DTS revolutionized cinema sound, delivering "Jurassic Park's" award-winning 5.1-channel soundtrack on CD-ROM, which was synchronized to the picture using a time code printed on the film. Twenty-two years later, DTS:X, the industry's newest audio solution, is no longer limited to channels or tied to a speaker layout and is now delivered as part of the Digital Cinema Package.

The foundation of DTS:X is MDA, DTS' license fee-free, open platform for creation of object-based immersive audio. MDA gives movie studios unprecedented control over the specific placement, movement and volume of sound objects. The platform also enables sound engineers to "mix once" for both immersive and conventional cinemas in a combined object- and channel-based audio format, allowing content to be easily distributed beyond the theater for streaming, broadcast, optical media and more.

"MDA is DTS' license fee-free contribution to the professional audio community for mixing and storage of immersive audio content," said Kirchner. "MDA fits perfectly within today's production workflow, and a combination of MDA and DTS:X provides a complete end-to-end workflow, from creation to exhibition."

The DTS:X licensing program in cinema will offer theater owners the opportunity to provide their audience the most compelling, immersive sound experience possible. This can be achieved for almost any room configuration by installing DTS:X-approved equipment and working with the recommended speaker installation guidelines.

To ensure quality and provide flexibility within the DTS:X program, DTS has partnered with industry-leading server, sound rendering and processing companies. GDC Technology, QSC and USL, have developed and made available DTS:X-ready components that process and render MDA files.

GDC Technology - develops, manufactures and sells digital cinema servers and provides a comprehensive suite of digital cinema products, services and solutions for exhibitors and distributors
QSC - designs and manufactures professional audio systems and solutions for professional installed, portable, production and cinema sound customers worldwide
USL - is engaged in the design, manufacture, and sale of motion picture audio equipment and sound processors
GDC Technology is an initial partner integrating DTS:X into theaters.

GDC Technology - boasts the largest installed base of digital cinema servers in the Asia-Pacific region, and the second largest, globally
GDC is the worldwide DTS:X certification agent with an exclusive in Asia
GDC will make MDA firmware updates available to theater owners over to its existing installed server base of more than 40,000 servers starting in May 2015
GDC will provide DTS:X installation and certification for approximately 350 screens throughout Asia beginning in May 2015
"GDC is committed to offering state-of-the-art technology to its customers. We chose DTS:X because we believe it will transform the movie theater experience for audiences around the world," said Dr. Man-Nang Chong, founder and CEO of GDC Technology. "Theater owners will appreciate the easy integration and flexible solutions that DTS:X offers as they upgrade their screens to this superior sound experience. Audiences win too. Because of the flexibility in speaker layout that DTS:X offers, immersive audio is now available to a larger number of theaters of all sizes than ever before."

DTS is presently working with several major studios and mixing stages in Los Angeles, Northern California and Canada that are evaluating DTS:X. DTS:X content announcements will be made by the studios when ready, in alignment with DTS.

DTS:X + AVRs
Manufacturers representing nearly 90 percent of the home AVR and surround processor market will launch DTS:X-enabled products beginning in early Summer 2015, with additional manufacturer and model announcements to follow in the coming months. Confirmed AVR partners include:

Denon - AVR-X7200W available now / DTS:X firmware upgrade later in 2015
Integra - launching several models by Fall 2015
Marantz - AV8802 available now / DTS:X firmware upgrade later in 2015
Onkyo - launching several models by Fall 2015
Pioneer - details to follow
Steinway Lyngdorf - P200 Surround Sound Processor available Summer 2015 / DTS:X firmware upgrade in Fall 2015
Theta Digital - Casablanca IVa available Summer 2015
Trinnov Audio - Altitude32 available now / DTS:X firmware upgrade Summer 2015
Yamaha - launching DTS:X ready models in Fall 2015
DTS:X solutions are also available for 2015 AV receiver silicon platforms representing the majority of the DSP platform market share, including Cirrus Logic, Analog Devices and Texas Instruments.

For home theater system owners, DTS:X provides personalization, flexibility and control for the most optimized listening experience possible. Key features include:

Backward Compatibility - DTS:X builds upon existing DTS-HD Master Audio to provide backward compatibility with existing DTS bitstreams and speaker layouts. In short, all features of DTS-HD Master Audio are supported and enable an immersive audio experience for older content.

The DTS:X content is backward compatible with the DTS-HD decoder
The DTS:X decoder supports DVD, Blu-ray Disc (BD) and streaming media file formats
DTS:X can spatially reformat stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 content to take full advantage of all speakers in a surround system
Objects are never lost; if the object is embedded, it can be extracted and used in the rendered experience
Dialog Control - AVR owners will be able to control the volume of specific audio elements at home, such as increasing dialog volume to match their listening preferences.

Dialog, as an object, can be lifted out from the background sounds when clarity and intelligibility are desired
Content creators have the choice to implement this feature in their content mix

Flexible Speaker Layout - With flexible speaker layouts and remapping technology, DTS:X allows the placement of home theater speakers virtually anywhere. The freedom of object-based audio enables optimized playback on a multitude of speaker layouts, with any number of speakers.
The DTS speaker remapping engine supports any speaker configuration within a hemispherical layout based around the listening position in the room.

2015 DTS:X AVRs can support up to 11.2 speaker output channels
Content created for a specific speaker layout can be remapped for playout through a different layout
Enables remapping of outputs to custom or OEM-defined speaker layouts, and remapping legacy content to new output configurations
Support for 32 speaker locations (subject to each manufacturer's product capabilities)
Metadata-based spatial mapping renders the ideal 3D sound image to actual speaker layouts
Lossless - DTS is known for lossless, master audio quality with no compromise, delivering dynamic bit allocation. DTS:X supports lossless encoding for the highest audio quality possible. In situations where bitrate is of high concern, DTS:X can also operate in a high-quality lossy mode.

Supports up to 96k for object mixes
Still supports up to 192k for stereo and multi-channel mixes
DTS:X is true to the audio master, delivers in the highest quality and preserves its fidelity
DTS Headphone:X
As part of DTS' strategy to support the entire ecosystem of sound, from cinema to home to mobile, consumers can also access an engaging audio experience over their mobile devices with DTS Headphone:X, which enhances any ordinary pair of headphones with fully immersive surround sound. With DTS technology, even the smallest screens will sound huge. Immerse yourself at www.dts.com/dtsx and www.dts.com/headphonex.

For more information about DTS, please visit www.dts.com, or connect with DTS on Facebook and Twitter (@DTS_Inc).

About DTS, Inc.
Since 1993, DTS, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTSI) has been dedicated to making the world sound better. Through its pioneering audio solutions for mobile devices, home theater systems, cinemas and beyond, DTS provides incredibly high-quality, immersive and engaging audio experiences to listeners everywhere. DTS technology is integrated in more than two billion devices globally, and the world's leading video and music streaming services are increasingly choosing DTS to deliver premium sound to their listeners' network-connected devices. For more information, please visit www.dts.com.

DTS-C

Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140724/130048

SOURCE DTS, Inc.
grtuck likes this.

post #2360 of 2653 Old 04-09-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I can't think of a single reason why DTS: X would not be added. Would love it even more if it utilized the Top speaker otherwise I have no plans to ever not use Auro Upmix. Maybe Atmos Rev. 2 will offer usage of it? If not we are more than happy "just" using AURO full time.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Datasat combo using Auro-3D:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1426295399824
post #2361 of 2653 Old 04-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
I can't think of a single reason why DTS: X would not be added. Would love it even more if it utilized the Top speaker otherwise I have no plans to ever not use Auro Upmix. Maybe Atmos Rev. 2 will offer usage of it? If not we are more than happy "just" using AURO full time.

I do think that there is a big difference between Auromatic and native Auro 3D ( which currently I inly own the Demo disc). Don't get me wrong, I do think that Auromatic is an improvement over 5.1/7.1 but in my opinion it is just filling the three dinensional space while native Auro also extends the information within this 3D space. As native Atmos titles also only being available as a few I hope that DTS:X would hopefully mean more native titles being available.
post #2362 of 2653 Old 04-09-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2657 Post(s)
Liked: 1564
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Would love it even more if it utilized the Top speaker...Maybe Atmos Rev. 2 will offer usage of it?
Ain't gonna happen, since it is not part of the home Atmos layout.

Sanjay
post #2363 of 2653 Old 04-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Some interesting stuff in there Jeff:

Quote:

DTS:X can spatially reformat stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 content to take full advantage of all speakers in a surround system
Objects are never lost; if the object is embedded, it can be extracted and used in the rendered experience
So what is this saying? Does it mean DTS:X can extract embedded objects from, say, an Atmos mix even though they will be delivered to the DTS:X decoder as a 5.1/7.1. channel based stream?

Quote:

Dialog, as an object, can be lifted out from the background sounds when clarity and intelligibility are desired

Flexible Speaker Layout - With flexible speaker layouts and remapping technology, DTS:X allows the placement of home theater speakers virtually anywhere. The freedom of object-based audio enables optimized playback on a multitude of speaker layouts, with any number of speakers.
The DTS speaker remapping engine supports any speaker configuration within a hemispherical layout based around the listening position in the room.[/B]
I'm guessing that means that one will be able to select, say (with fingers crossed), a standard Auro layout, and DTS:X will use it (remap for it), or similarly an Atmos layout.

Quote:

Support for 32 speaker locations (subject to each manufacturer's product capabilities)
Metadata-based spatial mapping renders the ideal 3D sound image to actual speaker layouts
This is the most exciting bit. So (again with fingers crossed) the RS20i should be able to utilise all 16 channels for DTS:X. Whether or not there will be the flexibility to place speakers anywhere and tell the RS20i exactly where they are in 3D space to give the ultimate in positional flexibility, will I guess depend entirely on Datasat's implementation. I can only assume that will be Trinnov's chosen implementation(?) using their 3D mic. That ain't going to an easy task though - I certainly wouldn't want to have to try and figure out how that would work, particularly creating a system for manually entering coordinates or similar.

As with all these new formats, the success of one over another will likely be won on the strength of a) available content, and b) the upmixer. Given that a) is likely to be weak (as it has been for Atmos, and even worse for Auro), this will turn out to be the battle of the upmixers for most users.

Now all we need to know from Datasat is whether DTS:X will be possible via a firmware upgrade using existing DSP's, or if the new Atmos board will be required in order to get DTS:X also . . .
post #2364 of 2653 Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Ain't gonna happen, since it is not part of the home Atmos layout.
Agreed, I can't see Atmos ever using it, their ceiling speaker layout is quite clear and common between both commercial and home specs. DTS:X however has used a VOG style speaker in show demo's so it is possible that it may be able to utilise it if DTS:X has pre-formed layouts to map to existing Auro installs.
post #2365 of 2653 Old 04-09-2015, 09:01 AM
IMMERSION GURU

In Past dts clarified that you cannot process an atmos disc using dts-x except of course the 7.1 track.

It is very very safe to assume that once the atmos upgrade happens the dtsx will be a reasonable firmware upgrade fee.NOT SAYING MORE.

post #2366 of 2653 Old 04-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
In Past dts clarified that you cannot process an atmos disc using dts-x except of course the 7.1 track.

It is very very safe to assume that once the atmos upgrade happens the dtsx will be a reasonable firmware upgrade fee.NOT SAYING MORE.
I wish you'd put your wooden spoon away Peter. If you have information to share, please share it buy all means, but I ain't biting on these little fishing baits any more!
Billybobjimbob likes this.
post #2367 of 2653 Old 04-09-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2657 Post(s)
Liked: 1564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
So what is this saying?
They're saying that nothing is thrown out when a DTS:X track is downmixed to 5.1 or 7.1 channels. Asthough that is something unique. To paraphrase The Who: meet the new downmixing, same as the old downmixing. Most of the other features (dialogue control, positional rendering) are built into Atmos as well. It is up to manufacturers to implement them.

Sanjay
post #2368 of 2653 Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 AM
IMMERSION GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
I wish you'd put your wooden spoon away Peter. If you have information to share, please share it buy all means, but I ain't biting on these little fishing baits any more!
it's good chatter noise....

post #2369 of 2653 Old 04-09-2015, 11:00 AM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Guys

Datasat tells me that the Handshake issue was reported on just a handful of machines and there is a beta patch they sent to people who were having the issue. The patch is only for people experiencing the problem.

I am really happy they are so responsive and quick to get a fix out..

Craig

Craig Shumer
20 Years of Audio Video Excellence
President of Theatermax LLC
post #2370 of 2653 Old 04-09-2015, 11:06 AM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
DTS-X

I want this new dialog feature built into the DATASAT~!

CALABASAS, Calif., April 9, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- DTS, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTSI), a global leader in audio technology solutions, has unveiled further details about DTS:X, its open, next-generation, object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology. DTS:X replicates a real-world sound environment that transports the audience into a new dimension of sound immersion by delivering truly captivating entertainment experiences in the cinema and at home. The technology also provides numerous customization options for cinema and home theater owners.

Unlike existing surround sound systems, DTS:X is not tied to prescribed speaker configurations or a specific number of audio channels. DTS:X adapts to the viewing environment, allowing for a flexible speaker configuration that best fits the viewing space. DTS:X more accurately conveys the fluid movement of sound to create a richer entertainment soundscape than has previously been possible by moving sound objects to and through specific locations within - in front of, behind, above and beside the audience, precisely where the mixer placed them.

"DTS:X is built on the foundation of providing an open, adaptable solution for content creators, cinemas and homes to fulfill our goal of bringing immersive audio to as many people around the world as possible," said Jon Kirchner, chairman and CEO of DTS, Inc. "Until recently, sound in movie theaters and in our homes has been dictated by a standardized speaker layout. Through the use of object-based audio, DTS:X is able to scale immersive soundtrack presentations across a wide range of playback systems, from efficient to extravagant, while staying true to the content creator's vision. This approach delivers the most authentic three-dimensional audio experience ever, making the audience feel as if they are in the center of the action."

DTS:X + CINEMA
In 1993, DTS revolutionized cinema sound, delivering "Jurassic Park's" award-winning 5.1-channel soundtrack on CD-ROM, which was synchronized to the picture using a time code printed on the film. Twenty-two years later, DTS:X, the industry's newest audio solution, is no longer limited to channels or tied to a speaker layout and is now delivered as part of the Digital Cinema Package.

The foundation of DTS:X is MDA, DTS' license fee-free, open platform for creation of object-based immersive audio. MDA gives movie studios unprecedented control over the specific placement, movement and volume of sound objects. The platform also enables sound engineers to "mix once" for both immersive and conventional cinemas in a combined object- and channel-based audio format, allowing content to be easily distributed beyond the theater for streaming, broadcast, optical media and more.

"MDA is DTS' license fee-free contribution to the professional audio community for mixing and storage of immersive audio content," said Kirchner. "MDA fits perfectly within today's production workflow, and a combination of MDA and DTS:X provides a complete end-to-end workflow, from creation to exhibition."

The DTS:X licensing program in cinema will offer theater owners the opportunity to provide their audience the most compelling, immersive sound experience possible. This can be achieved for almost any room configuration by installing DTS:X-approved equipment and working with the recommended speaker installation guidelines.

To ensure quality and provide flexibility within the DTS:X program, DTS has partnered with industry-leading server, sound rendering and processing companies. GDC Technology, QSC and USL, have developed and made available DTS:X-ready components that process and render MDA files.

GDC Technology - develops, manufactures and sells digital cinema servers and provides a comprehensive suite of digital cinema products, services and solutions for exhibitors and distributors
QSC - designs and manufactures professional audio systems and solutions for professional installed, portable, production and cinema sound customers worldwide
USL - is engaged in the design, manufacture, and sale of motion picture audio equipment and sound processors
GDC Technology is an initial partner integrating DTS:X into theaters.

GDC Technology - boasts the largest installed base of digital cinema servers in the Asia-Pacific region, and the second largest, globally
GDC is the worldwide DTS:X certification agent with an exclusive in Asia
GDC will make MDA firmware updates available to theater owners over to its existing installed server base of more than 40,000 servers starting in May 2015
GDC will provide DTS:X installation and certification for approximately 350 screens throughout Asia beginning in May 2015
"GDC is committed to offering state-of-the-art technology to its customers. We chose DTS:X because we believe it will transform the movie theater experience for audiences around the world," said Dr. Man-Nang Chong, founder and CEO of GDC Technology. "Theater owners will appreciate the easy integration and flexible solutions that DTS:X offers as they upgrade their screens to this superior sound experience. Audiences win too. Because of the flexibility in speaker layout that DTS:X offers, immersive audio is now available to a larger number of theaters of all sizes than ever before."

DTS is presently working with several major studios and mixing stages in Los Angeles, Northern California and Canada that are evaluating DTS:X. DTS:X content announcements will be made by the studios when ready, in alignment with DTS.

DTS:X + AVRs
Manufacturers representing nearly 90 percent of the home AVR and surround processor market will launch DTS:X-enabled products beginning in early Summer 2015, with additional manufacturer and model announcements to follow in the coming months. Confirmed AVR partners include:

Denon - AVR-X7200W available now / DTS:X firmware upgrade later in 2015
Integra - launching several models by Fall 2015
Marantz - AV8802 available now / DTS:X firmware upgrade later in 2015
Onkyo - launching several models by Fall 2015
Pioneer - details to follow
Steinway Lyngdorf - P200 Surround Sound Processor available Summer 2015 / DTS:X firmware upgrade in Fall 2015
Theta Digital - Casablanca IVa available Summer 2015
Trinnov Audio - Altitude32 available now / DTS:X firmware upgrade Summer 2015
Yamaha - launching DTS:X ready models in Fall 2015
DTS:X solutions are also available for 2015 AV receiver silicon platforms representing the majority of the DSP platform market share, including Cirrus Logic, Analog Devices and Texas Instruments.

For home theater system owners, DTS:X provides personalization, flexibility and control for the most optimized listening experience possible. Key features include:

Backward Compatibility - DTS:X builds upon existing DTS-HD Master Audio to provide backward compatibility with existing DTS bitstreams and speaker layouts. In short, all features of DTS-HD Master Audio are supported and enable an immersive audio experience for older content.

The DTS:X content is backward compatible with the DTS-HD decoder
The DTS:X decoder supports DVD, Blu-ray Disc (BD) and streaming media file formats
Dialog Control - AVR owners will be able to control the volume of specific audio elements at home, such as increasing dialog volume to match their listening preferences.

The DTS speaker remapping engine supports any speaker configuration within a hemispherical layout based around the listening position in the room.

2015 DTS:X AVRs can support up to 11.2 speaker output channels
Content created for a specific speaker layout can be remapped for playout through a different layout
Enables remapping of outputs to custom or OEM-defined speaker layouts, and remapping legacy content to new output configurations
Lossless - DTS is known for lossless, master audio quality with no compromise, delivering dynamic bit allocation. DTS:X supports lossless encoding for the highest audio quality possible. In situations where bitrate is of high concern, DTS:X can also operate in a high-quality lossy mode.

Supports up to 96k for object mixes
Still supports up to 192k for stereo and multi-channel mixes
DTS:X is true to the audio master, delivers in the highest quality and preserves its fidelity
DTS Headphone:X
As part of DTS' strategy to support the entire ecosystem of sound, from cinema to home to mobile, consumers can also access an engaging audio experience over their mobile devices with DTS Headphone:X, which enhances any ordinary pair of headphones with fully immersive surround sound. With DTS technology, even the smallest screens will sound huge. Immerse yourself at www.dts.com/dtsx and www.dts.com/headphonex.

For more information about DTS, please visit www.dts.com, or connect with DTS on Facebook and Twitter (@DTS_Inc).

About DTS, Inc.
Since 1993, DTS, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTSI) has been dedicated to making the world sound better. Through its pioneering audio solutions for mobile devices, home theater systems, cinemas and beyond, DTS provides incredibly high-quality, immersive and engaging audio experiences to listeners everywhere. DTS technology is integrated in more than two billion devices globally, and the world's leading video and music streaming services are increasingly choosing DTS to deliver premium sound to their listeners' network-connected devices. For more information, please visit www.dts.com.

DTS-C

Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140724/130048

SOURCE DTS, Inc.

Jeff,

I agree this really does sound good.. More modes means more fun

I have a feeling Datasat will continue to get modes to market as people really do want them and the more flexibility they build into their LS/RS the more units they will sell.

Craig

Craig Shumer
20 Years of Audio Video Excellence
President of Theatermax LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page