Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

post #2431 of 2494 Old 05-28-2015, 10:10 PM
IMMERSION GURU

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Crestron digimedia feeding momentum data systems hdmi board, lot's of headaches when I did the flat in One Hyde Park (2 x ada suite 7.1). Also at Skoll some issues (datsat ap20).

It is not crestrons fault just the peculiarities of your crestron MDS combination....

The only way these things get fixed is having them physically recreate.I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2494 Old 05-29-2015, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Crestron digimedia feeding momentum data systems hdmi board, lot's of headaches when I did the flat in One Hyde Park (2 x ada suite 7.1). Also at Skoll some issues (datsat ap20).

It is not crestrons fault just the peculiarities of your crestron MDS combination....

The only way these things get fixed is having them physically recreate.I think.
Crestron side is fine.
Meantime has to add power cycle button to GUI. Looks total absurd in fully automated flat.
Hope Datasat/MDS guys working on it.
post #2433 of 2494 Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by yapota View Post
Hi

My dealer was around yesterday and installed new versions of the DATASAT software v1.03.04 and also fro the HDMI card. Seems to have solved the problem. I will test further over the weekend and report back.
I am having similar, positive results with this beta software - it has seemingly solved the audio muting that was occurring on start up.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #2434 of 2494 Old 06-06-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Audio Issues from Lumagen

Brand new user, I'm replacing an MX151, and I am experiencing audio issues that have put me at a loss...

All my video sources go to my Lumagen 2041. HDMI 1 from Lumagen goes to HDMI 1 input on the RS20i, HDMI 2 goes to projector.

I can see on the RS20 at the top right of the display the Surround "No Audio", when the Lumagen is off, however, when I start it up, play a DVD for instance, the "No Audio" goes away, "Surround" stays I get video from the projector but absolutely no audio comes out of the RS20i...

I know the Lumagen is configured properly.

Also, I know the amps are hooked up, cause I can use the "Pink Noise" option on the RS20i to cause sound to appear at each speaker.

Is there something that I'm missing?

Sony VW1100 | Stewart 156" Ultramat 150
Datasat RS20i | 3 x MC601 | 1 x MC205 | Oppo 105 | Lumagen 2041
B&W 800 / HTM 2 Diamonds | 4 x Paradigm ADP3 | 2 x Fathom F212
D-Box HEMC & 2 x SRP 330 platforms

MX151 for sale, PM for info
post #2435 of 2494 Old 06-06-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ok, researched history on the thread, and it appears I have the HDMI handshake issue.

Moving the unit to Analog, and power cycling the unit and then switching to HDMI appears to fix the issue...

Hope the beta is released soon. This is a pita, for such an expensive box.

post #2436 of 2494 Old 06-08-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Got everything installed, and am going to run Dirac tonight since I got the kit.

Couple quick questions:

1. Does REW work with the existing USBPre2 / Mic in the kit or do I have to purchase a new mike to use with it?
2. I cannot tell, is Dirac Live 2 now included? Or do I still use Dirac 1?
3. I've select Auro 13.1 as my speaker setup, but I am missing the VOG speaker, I'll add it later. I just edited the speaker plan and put a - in the name spot and turned off the button next to the name in the speaker config screen. Is that correct?
4. Lastly, lots of info on multiple subs, I have them on separate channels, 4 and 13 I believe. After Dirac calibration I'm assuming I move SW 2 up to be on same channel as SW 1 (4)...

Any thing else I should know?

Thanks.

post #2437 of 2494 Old 06-08-2015, 05:10 PM
IMMERSION GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspotorno View Post
Got everything installed, and am going to run Dirac tonight since I got the kit.

Couple quick questions:

1. Does REW work with the existing USBPre2 / Mic in the kit or do I have to purchase a new mike to use with it?
3. I've select Auro 13.1 as my speaker setup, but I am missing the VOG speaker, I'll add it later. I just edited the speaker plan and put a - in the name spot and turned off the button next to the name in the speaker config screen. Is that correct?
4. Lastly, lots of info on multiple subs, I have them on separate channels, 4 and 13 I believe. After Dirac calibration I'm assuming I move SW 2 up to be on same channel as SW 1 (4)...

Thanks.
1- Good question I would like to know too.... It's only 78 dollars in amazon,which in and of itself prompts skeptical thoughts about it's effectiveness and accuracy.
2-Francisco Pflaum the top engineer felt Dirac 2 was stable enough he could send it to me to play (last Xmas!), but Tech Support Czarina Karen Hultgreen is very left sided brain and she will not release until it is super-stable. Go ahead and do Dirac 1 first, and save the curve. With that curve you need to do more...FOR SURE do the jbl x-curve roll off after 16khz variant, then the aforementioned plus added AIR (mid frequency above human voice-and not affecting it- boost),then (4) time delay of center channel decrease by .5 or 1 just to pop out ever so slightly from behind the screen(presence), Finally 5 the cumulative aforementioned with AIR plus Presence plus BALLS (45 hz boost to move your seat a bit); so 4 memories. Once you can accomplish that,and tweak it to your liking, I will gently persuade them to give it to you and Jeff. I will be in Orlando next week if you'd like me to stop in....

As rancid as My suggestion might go down...to all dear readers....

THE REST OF YOU OWNERS: "LALALALA", NOBODY READ ANYTHING I WROTE HERE.WHAT? CAN'T HEAR A THING. LALALALALA. Like Alec Guinness said to the storm trooper: "You don't need to see my identification"

I was the first datasat dealer installer in 2011 and I am Grandfathered with Carl. Sorry Brits! and Hungarian. And even thread starter in Japan.

LOL

3- sounds raght, but let's ask Jeff.
4- For best atmos you need to sepatate front and back. see the response and go to the thread in Jeff's signature.

You may end up with a Chasm in LF like he did, Mark Seaton then delayed the rear by 10 ms and the chasm levelled. Kudos to Mark for that handy trick of the trade.

Jeff if you could articulate....

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 06-08-2015 at 06:47 PM.
post #2438 of 2494 Old 06-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Couple quick questions:

Thanks.
Rew will happily run on the usbpre2 and Earth works mic.

Just to touch on point 4 - you don't want to be moving any of the channels around in routings and crossovers after you have run Dirac as the system will essentially be different. If you have calibrated Dirac to run your subs on chan 4 and 13 then run Dirac. You will have created filters for those individual output channels and by moving sub2 to chan 4 along with sub 1 then you'll be missing the filter for sub 2 and the filter for sub 1 will be incorrect as it was created with one sub only energising the room.

If you are wanting to run your subs as one mono output, which I recommend, then you should have all your subs lined up on chan4 in routings and crossovers and then when you run Dirac you select multiple speaker check box in setup and you are good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
1- Good question I would like to know too.... It's only 78 dollars in amazon,which in and of itself prompts skeptical thoughts about it's effectiveness and accuracy..
Do you mean the USB mic pre is 78 dollars... I'm not sure what you have seen but the Sound Devices USBpre2 is about £700 here in UK. So gotta be plus of $1000 USD. Ruler flat mic pre. Very good.
post #2439 of 2494 Old 06-09-2015, 11:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Peter at Cineramax was able to provide me with the official instructions to install the beta software to see if it fixes the HDMI handshake issue.

I'm happy to report that it solves the issues completely!

Thanks to Peter and everyone who helped get the update to me.

I went thru 3 Dirac calibrations, some trial and error on my part, but finally got it completed and installed. I'm coming from a MX151 with room perfect and I thought that system was great, but the sound coming from my HT with the RS20i has the whole family in awe, and I've only scratched the surface on the fine tuning that is possible!

post #2440 of 2494 Old 06-10-2015, 03:42 AM
IMMERSION GURU

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post

Do you mean the USB mic pre is 78 dollars... I'm not sure what you have seen but the Sound Devices USBpre2 is about £700 here in UK. So gotta be plus of $1000 USD. Ruler flat mic pre. Very good.
Hi DJ No I was talking about the one they show on REW website is 78, alot of people in these forums use it.

Hey if he can use the Dirac Cal Kit to run REW then that is perfect.

Tony you are welcomed! Have fun!
post #2441 of 2494 Old 06-10-2015, 04:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Can you run REW with the DIRAC Mic kit?

One stop shopping?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #2442 of 2494 Old 06-10-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Can you run REW with the DIRAC Mic kit?

One stop shopping?
Yes, of course, though you do not need that level of equipment ($800 pre-amp, $500 mic) to run REW.

Correctly put it is the Datasat mic kit..Dirac do not make a mic kit, only the correction software.
thebland likes this.

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.

Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Plains, Hodor, Beast Unleashed, Savoy, Roll in Reels, Creekside, CIH...
post #2443 of 2494 Old 06-10-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Yes, of course, though you do not need that level of equipment ($800 pre-amp, $500 mic) to run REW.

Correctly put it is the Datasat mic kit..Dirac do not make a mic kit, only the correction software.
Thanks for the in for (and clarification).

post #2444 of 2494 Old 06-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the in for (and clarification).
One thing you will need for ReW is the mics cal file. If you do not have this then you can contact earthworks and they should send you one as if I remember right they have cal files for all mics produced!
post #2445 of 2494 Old 06-18-2015, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Why is there no option for the VOG speaker to be a phantom speaker?
post #2446 of 2494 Old 06-20-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Do you have to use the Datasat mic kit to use Dirac on the RS20i? Or can you use other mics. For instance, you can get a CSL individually calibrated mic for 100 bucks and it is accurate enough from what I've read. I haven't read this whole thread so sorry if the question was answered, but can an owner set up the Dirac on the Datasat unit or does an "installer" have to be involved? Does the Dirac software come with it or do you have to buy it separately?

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #2448 of 2494 Old 06-20-2015, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Carl has also recommended the Audix tm-1 as a cheaper and nearly as good mic as the Earthwork mics.
post #2449 of 2494 Old 06-21-2015, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Do you have to use the Datasat mic kit to use Dirac on the RS20i? Or can you use other mics. For instance, you can get a CSL individually calibrated mic for 100 bucks and it is accurate enough from what I've read. I haven't read this whole thread so sorry if the question was answered, but can an owner set up the Dirac on the Datasat unit or does an "installer" have to be involved? Does the Dirac software come with it or do you have to buy it separately?
This assumes you already have the Dirac dongle or license for Dirac 2. If so then yes you can use the mic. You'll need to make sure the mics cal file is in a format that Dirac understands.
post #2450 of 2494 Old 06-21-2015, 03:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

To clarify the above.... So if you have the Dongle and software, you can set up DIRAC with your own mic? No need for the $$ Datasat Mic kit?

Thanks

post #2451 of 2494 Old 06-21-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 62
i was under the impression the license is only included with the mic kit? I don't think there is any other way to purchase it.
post #2452 of 2494 Old 06-21-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Did any of you guys set up Dirac yourselves, without dealer help?

I've been using Dirac on the Emotiva and it's pretty easy to use, just wondering if the Dirac version for Datasat (or Theta in the near future) would be similarly user-friendly. I'm quite familiar with the Trinnov menus (I have the ST2hifi) and comfortable setting that up too. At some point I will decide between Altitude, Theta, and Datasat.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #2453 of 2494 Old 06-21-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've been using Dirac on the Emotiva and it's pretty easy to use, just wondering if the Dirac version for Datasat (or Theta in the near future) would be similarly user-friendly. I'm quite familiar with the Trinnov menus (I have the ST2hifi) and comfortable setting that up too. At some point I will decide between Altitude, Theta, and Datasat.
I haven't but if I add speakers or move them around like when Atmos DTS-X come, I'd like to do it myself.

I'd be curious to know this as well.

post #2454 of 2494 Old 06-21-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I haven't but if I add speakers or move them around like when Atmos DTS-X come, I'd like to do it myself.

I setup Dirac myself, toughest part was the Preamp / Mic setup and getting the right drivers installed on the PC. I could not get it running at first, but was plugging it into a USB3 connector and for some reason it would not work...

Software is not that complicated. I'm was used to working with ARC / Anthem D2v and it is very similar.

The mic came with a 50' cable and since the Dirac talks to the RS20i via IP it makes it easy to calibrate the room without having to sit in it. (Not quite as easy as the MX151 with an IPad, but with a cable that long I sat in another room as it ran it's calibrations)

They provide fairly good information on the CD with the software, and I read every forum post on how to configure the system.

On a side note.

I see it is possible to use the included Earthworks mic with REV. However, you need a 90deg calibration file with it and the mic did not come with a 90deg calibration... Not sure how to go about getting one made or if it would just be easier to buy the 100.00 mic.

post #2455 of 2494 Old 06-22-2015, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I setup Dirac myself, toughest part was the Preamp / Mic setup and getting the right drivers installed on the PC. I could not get it running at first, but was plugging it into a USB3 connector and for some reason it would not work...

Software is not that complicated. I'm was used to working with ARC / Anthem D2v and it is very similar.

The mic came with a 50' cable and since the Dirac talks to the RS20i via IP it makes it easy to calibrate the room without having to sit in it. (Not quite as easy as the MX151 with an IPad, but with a cable that long I sat in another room as it ran it's calibrations)

They provide fairly good information on the CD with the software, and I read every forum post on how to configure the system.

On a side note.

I see it is possible to use the included Earthworks mic with REV. However, you need a 90deg calibration file with it and the mic did not come with a 90deg calibration... Not sure how to go about getting one made or if it would just be easier to buy the 100.00 mic.
Contact earthworks with your mic serial, they should have all cal files saved!
post #2456 of 2494 Old 06-24-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 144
So with July rapidly approaching getting us a step away from August who is definitely planning the Atmo update? I am torn. I would love to do it but doing "just" Atmos will most likely take away my Top speaker. Since we have grown accustomed to it that would be a deal breaker. Not sure if it is worth doing if I "only" use Auromatic for everything still anyway.... Hmmmmm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	794202  

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Datasat combo using Auro-3D:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1426295399824
post #2457 of 2494 Old 06-24-2015, 08:31 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
So with July rapidly approaching getting us a step away from August who is definitely planning the Atmo update? I am torn. I would love to do it but doing "just" Atmos will most likely take away my Top speaker. Since we have grown accustomed to it that would be a deal breaker. Not sure if it is worth doing if I "only" use Auromatic for everything still anyway.... Hmmmmm

Joe -

Have you heard a good Atmos Setup yet anywhere ?

We have some Atmos Rooms running so far on Marantz and of course I am anxious to get Atmos on our RS20's like everyone else.

I can tell you this.. ATMOS is freaking awesome. When you get a nice direct overhead track and it moves around to the next object the orientation is so controlled and direct its unreal.

Datasat having so many channels allows for almost everyone to do a nice 5.1.4 or 7.1.4.. I know you must be enjoying Auro but Atmos is moving quickly.. I think there are 18 titles already and growing quick..

I don't think there is a question of who is going to win this but the nice part is the RS20 will do them both.

Do you have a way to put a pair or two pair overhead ?

THX just announced a nice article saying that a single pair overhead with Atmos is all you need to get the immersion and this helps in alot of installs.

Craig

Craig Shumer
20 Years of Audio Video Excellence
President of Theatermax LLC
post #2458 of 2494 Old 06-24-2015, 08:35 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bogg

Theta will have a CB4 with Atmos in the next few months maybe less 12 channels.. That will be the Channel max for CB4.. The next machine which is a ways off will do a lot more but for most people 12-16 is enough..

The RS20 with its higher channel count is fantastic as well. Its flexibility and upgradability is similar to Theta and as soon as Atmos hits a lot of people are going to jump on RS20's.. That I know

Craig

Craig Shumer
post #2459 of 2494 Old 06-24-2015, 08:38 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jeff,

Did you have the Datasat guys come and calibrate for you ? Did you buy the mic kit and keep it or dealer loaner ?

They have a nice package they offer us dealers that with the Mic kit you get a in home calibration from their guys who do the big Theaters.. I was wondering if you did this and how it went ?

CRaig

Craig Shumer
post #2460 of 2494 Old 06-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am planning to upgrade but would like to know their plans for DTS:X before I commit. I am just assuming that the new board for Atmos will be needed if Datasat adds further enhancements down the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page