Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

post #2461 of 2489 Old 06-25-2015, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
Do you have a way to put a pair or two pair overhead ?
Craig
No. How does Atmos sound when using a 13.1 Auro Setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2489 Old 06-25-2015, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
So with July rapidly approaching getting us a step away from August who is definitely planning the Atmo update? I am torn. I would love to do it but doing "just" Atmos will most likely take away my Top speaker. Since we have grown accustomed to it that would be a deal breaker. Not sure if it is worth doing if I "only" use Auromatic for everything still anyway.... Hmmmmm

There's no reason to have 'just' Atmos Joerod. I have the 15.2 Auro layout as shown in the Datasat manual (with additional rear heights copied from the side heights and two sub's running off a single Datasat channel courtesy of a mini-DSP).

That layout will be perfectly usable for Atmos with a 7.1.6 layout hopefully allowing for switching between Atmos and Auro on the fly.
post #2463 of 2489 Old 06-25-2015, 12:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Joe -

Have you heard a good Atmos Setup yet anywhere ?

We have some Atmos Rooms running so far on Marantz and of course I am anxious to get Atmos on our RS20's like everyone else.

I can tell you this.. ATMOS is freaking awesome. When you get a nice direct overhead track and it moves around to the next object the orientation is so controlled and direct its unreal.

Datasat having so many channels allows for almost everyone to do a nice 5.1.4 or 7.1.4.. I know you must be enjoying Auro but Atmos is moving quickly.. I think there are 18 titles already and growing quick..

I don't think there is a question of who is going to win this but the nice part is the RS20 will do them both.

Do you have a way to put a pair or two pair overhead ?

THX just announced a nice article saying that a single pair overhead with Atmos is all you need to get the immersion and this helps in alot of installs.

Craig
Actually my room is set up for Atmos and have ran it with both a Marantz and Integra models. I have four ML Vanquish (two front and two back Heights) amd one in the Middle for the Top speaker. The sound was good and I am positive it would be even better on the RS20i. Just worried about nothing coming out of the Top speaker which is what we have gotten used to which impacts are movie experience quite a bit more.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Datasat combo using Auro-3D:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1426295399824

Last edited by joerod; 06-25-2015 at 12:43 AM.
post #2464 of 2489 Old 06-25-2015, 12:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
There's no reason to have 'just' Atmos Joerod. I have the 15.2 Auro layout as shown in the Datasat manual (with additional rear heights copied from the side heights and two sub's running off a single Datasat channel courtesy of a mini-DSP).

That layout will be perfectly usable for Atmos with a 7.1.6 layout hopefully allowing for switching between Atmos and Auro on the fly.
That's exactly the setting I am praying we can do. Well actually 7.3.6 which is close enough. I could do 7.3.5 with the one middle (TOP Speaker) which would be great.

post #2465 of 2489 Old 06-25-2015, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's exactly the setting I am praying we can do. Well actually 7.3.6 which is close enough. I could do 7.3.5 with the one middle (TOP Speaker) which would be great.

I doubt 7.3.5 would be an option, as Atmos seems to require ceiling speakers to be in pairs (though that is surely Dolby's restriction, as an object based system it should be able to use any speakers placed pretty much anywhere), but you never know, Datasat's implementation may be different and have more flexibility.

I would hold out more hope that DTS:X might allow the use of a single top speaker. 7.1.7 or 9.1.5 (both with VOG) from DTS:X would be nice
post #2466 of 2489 Old 06-25-2015, 04:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I doubt 7.3.5 would be an option, as Atmos seems to require ceiling speakers to be in pairs (though that is surely Dolby's restriction, as an object based system it should be able to use any speakers placed pretty much anywhere), but you never know, Datasat's implementation may be different and have more flexibility.

I would hold out more hope that DTS:X might allow the use of a single top speaker. 7.1.7 or 9.1.5 (both with VOG) from DTS:X would be nice
I am hoping with the flexibility of the RS20i maybe I can just assign for the Top speaker. I know if it is not a true dedicated channel it may not be as optimal but won't know how much until I try....

post #2467 of 2489 Old 06-25-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Jeff,

Did you have the Datasat guys come and calibrate for you ? Did you buy the mic kit and keep it or dealer loaner ?

They have a nice package they offer us dealers that with the Mic kit you get a in home calibration from their guys who do the big Theaters.. I was wondering if you did this and how it went ?

CRaig
Hey Craig,

I had Carl Huff (ex-Datasat) come out and do the DIRAC calibration and Mark Seaton on hand as well to tweak the EQ and integrate the 6 Seaton Submersives... I did not buy the Mic kit.

I was aware that they have a program for such. Not sure of costs but after DTS-X / ATMOS - it may be an option at need be.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #2468 of 2489 Old 06-25-2015, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
I am hoping with the flexibility of the RS20i maybe I can just assign for the Top speaker. I know if it is not a true dedicated channel it may not be as optimal but won't know how much until I try....
I don't have the ability to install ceiling speakers (nor do I have an RS20i) - but if I were doing an Atmos/Auro dual setup I would simply use all 4 or 6 of the Atmos overheads as the Auro VOG using the RS20i channel routing. This is assuming of course that I have separate speakers altogether for the Auro height channels on the side walls, which would not be used in Atmos playback.
post #2469 of 2489 Old 06-26-2015, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I don't have the ability to install ceiling speakers (nor do I have an RS20i) - but if I were doing an Atmos/Auro dual setup I would simply use all 4 or 6 of the Atmos overheads as the Auro VOG using the RS20i channel routing. This is assuming of course that I have separate speakers altogether for the Auro height channels on the side walls, which would not be used in Atmos playback.
One could do that but with 16 channels Auro then would have no center height and no surround back heights. These are not really needed for small rooms, though. But 4 VOGs are overkill for Auro, especially for a small room, and might not be good for 3D sound balance. I'm coming back to my question. Has someone tested Atmos with a 15.1 native Auro setup, simulating the ceiling channels with the Auro height channels? Does that work well?
post #2470 of 2489 Old 06-26-2015, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post
One could do that but with 16 channels Auro then would have no center height and no surround back heights. These are not really needed for small rooms, though. But 4 VOGs are overkill for Auro, especially for a small room, and might not be good for 3D sound balance. I'm coming back to my question. Has someone tested Atmos with a 15.1 native Auro setup, simulating the ceiling channels with the Auro height channels? Does that work well?
I would hope that Datasat have tested that by now as their new Atmos card is due for release soon, but I doubt Dan will be allowed to talk about it on here just yet - the only product in the field that can do that would be the Trinnov Altitude, so you may want to pose that question to those guys.
post #2471 of 2489 Old 06-26-2015, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I would hope that Datasat have tested that by now as their new Atmos card is due for release soon, but I doubt Dan will be allowed to talk about it on here just yet - the only product in the field that can do that would be the Trinnov Altitude, so you may want to pose that question to those guys.
I was going to suggest that but if the Altitude users are using the Optimser along with remapping (which is more than likely) or in excess of 16 speaker positions, then the response wouldn't necessarily be of relevance to users of other processors which lack those features.

I would hope that at this stage Datasat would announce publicly that the Atmos upgrade card is on schedule to be released in August and also outline what features it brings with it.

21inch hitachi
post #2472 of 2489 Old 06-26-2015, 03:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What about DTS-X onboard that Atmos update??

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #2473 of 2489 Old 06-26-2015, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
What about DTS-X onboard that Atmos update??
Jeff, the suggestion is that the Dts:X upgrade will be a firmware update once you have the Atmos card installed.

Scheduled for the end of the year..but we'll have to wait and see if they hit the delivery time

21inch hitachi
post #2474 of 2489 Old 06-26-2015, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobjimbob View Post
Jeff, the suggestion is that the Dts:X upgrade will be a firmware update once you have the Atmos card installed.

Scheduled for the end of the year..but we'll have to wait and see if they hit the delivery time
Good to know! Thanks! Can't wait..

post #2475 of 2489 Old 06-26-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Han't August been tossed around for a release time? User installable and no need to re-run DIRAC?

post #2477 of 2489 Old 06-26-2015, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I've been planning an Atmos/Auro/DTS:X compatable speaker layout for a new HT under construction. I think you'll find the Atmos TM location compatable with the Auro 2 VOG spec. For the other Atmos speakers:
Atmos FH = Auro FH
Atmos TB > Can be arrayed (with time delay) with Auro SH
post #2478 of 2489 Old 06-28-2015, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Latest software is available:

RS20i software V1.03.04

Include fixes/updates to Dirac2 - does anyone have Dirac2.
post #2479 of 2489 Old 06-28-2015, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 29

RS20i software V1.03.04

http://www.datasatdigital.com/docs/c...16&doc_cid=895

post #2480 of 2489 Old 06-28-2015, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So, what is DIRAC 2? Are there any performance differences? IS DIRAC 2 fully enabled now?

Thanks!

post #2481 of 2489 Old 06-28-2015, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
So, what is DIRAC 2? Are there any performance differences? IS DIRAC 2 fully enabled now?

Thanks!
V1.03.04 has been around for over a week. Dirac 2 should support correct delay measurements for the channels which Dirac 1 did not (results were garbage).
post #2482 of 2489 Old 06-28-2015, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

RS20i software V1.03.04

http://www.datasatdigital.com/docs/c...16&doc_cid=895

On it. Thanks.

post #2483 of 2489 Old 06-28-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
V1.03.04 has been around for over a week. Dirac 2 should support correct delay measurements for the channels which Dirac 1 did not (results were garbage).
Does DIRAC need to be re-run for proper delays or do delays change with the new software? I assume when I had my DIRAC programmed delays were manually entered if there was an issue... No?

Thanks!

post #2484 of 2489 Old 06-28-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I entered them manually for Dirac 1. If you rerun the last step now the delays should be correct, I hope.
post #2485 of 2489 Old 06-28-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I entered them manually for Dirac 1. If you rerun the last step now the delays should be correct, I hope.
I'll leave as is for now!

Thanks!

post #2486 of 2489 Old 06-28-2015, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
How did you measure them?
post #2487 of 2489 Old 06-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
atmos in aug
dts-x in oct
not at same time
Is that based on facts or your assumption?
post #2488 of 2489 Old 06-28-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
How did you measure them?
Computed by distance to speakers from listening position.
post #2489 of 2489 Old Today, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Does anyone know if Datasat has committed to supporting Dirac Unison? I understand Dirac Unison is do to be released in the next year and unlike Dirac live it will optimize multiple subs discretely on separate channels. The challenge with that is it takes channels so a Atmos 9.1.6 becomes a 7.4.4. The current base management on the RS20i will mix the LFE into the L,R,Ls,Rs if they are set to large and base management is set to no subs. If you crossed over 4 subs with full range speakers on those channels would Dirac Unison's bass management handle them optimally
(and effectively change the channel capability from 15.1 to 16.4)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)