Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 131Likes
post #2521 of 2653 Unread 07-24-2015, 03:57 PM
IMMERSION GURU

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 230
THIS IS LINK TO VIDEOS OF CALIBRATION:

I will post plots before that show those LR c4's were sited optimaly in a great acoustically treated room, what surpised me is that I knew it sounded great but the plots are very revelatory of the synergy between dyn c4 speaker siting and Audiophile Torus Room design.

Not bad?

F-1 Class Immersion System blogs: Here & Here.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 07-24-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2653 Unread 07-24-2015, 04:39 PM
IMMERSION GURU

Here is the 1927 pic and fascinating history of the House

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old-pic.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	848322  

post #2523 of 2653 Unread 07-24-2015, 04:42 PM
IMMERSION GURU

So this weekend watch the design sketches to add 8 alcons to do the dts-x and dolby atmos upgrade.

post #2524 of 2653 Unread 07-25-2015, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
THIS IS LINK TO VIDEOS OF CALIBRATION:

I will post plots before that show those LR c4's were sited optimaly in a great acoustically treated room, what surpised me is that I knew it sounded great but the plots are very revelatory of the synergy between dyn c4 speaker siting and Audiophile Torus Room design.

Not bad?
Very interesting, have you any idea when we will have access to Dirac 2? Datasat told me last week they didn't have it running yet and were waiting for Dirac to sort it out.
post #2525 of 2653 Unread 07-25-2015, 09:13 AM
IMMERSION GURU

For DIY it will take longer but if you hire the datasat guy they have it, funny thing the one is completely replaced.

Also and this is a tease by the time UHD Bluray comes out.....contemporary to that time frame you may expect and upgrade for signal compliance right around that time. Say no more say no more.:-)
joerod and HTsHT like this.

post #2526 of 2653 Unread 07-25-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Awesome! Thanks. Looking forward to the videos.

Any Atmos updates???

Great as usual, Peter.
Hi Guys,

Looking to purchase an RS20i in the UK. If I buy a U.S. model and import it here what's the situation regarding warranty and support(upgrades etc..)?

Thanks in advance
post #2527 of 2653 Unread 07-25-2015, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grievous247 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Awesome! Thanks. Looking forward to the videos.

Any Atmos updates???

Great as usual, Peter.
Hi Guys,

Looking to purchase an RS20i in the UK. If I buy a U.S. model and import it here what's the situation regarding warranty and support(upgrades etc..)?

Thanks in advance
I don't know how Datasat handles it but with Lexicon you were even refused to get repairs here in Europe for US models! I know when I asked Datasat for a quote for an LS10 they offered me one ex-works from the states even though I live in Germany. So they might see it differently.
Bottom line is, that I personally would spend a bit more and have a 'local' partner for such an investment. But that is my opinion!

ADDENDUM: I just got confirmation that Datasat has a policy like Lexicon NOT to handle units bought outside the buyers territory!
markrubin and Mr. Integration like this.

Last edited by westmd; 07-26-2015 at 02:00 AM.
post #2528 of 2653 Unread 07-26-2015, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
I don't know how Datasat handles it but with Lexicon you were even refused to get repairs here in Europe for US models! I know when I asked Datasat for a quote for an LS10 they offered me one ex-works from the states even though I live in Germany. So they might see it differently.
Bottom line is, that I personally would spend a bit more and have a 'local' partner for such an investment. But that is my opinion!

ADDENDUM: I just got confirmation that Datasat has a policy like Lexicon NOT to handle units bought outside the buyers territory!
Thanks for all the advice guys...I can't PM due to my newbie status, but thanks again for the wise words of advice. I'll purchase here in the UK
joerod likes this.
post #2529 of 2653 Unread 07-26-2015, 09:58 AM
IMMERSION GURU

not speaking of dasat but i am allowed to seii anywhere by most of my vendors.

besides i have never heard of a bad unit.

post #2530 of 2653 Unread 07-26-2015, 12:35 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Me too !

Considering we have installed and designed theaters and audio rooms all over the world including Dubai, Israel, England and even president Mubarak's palace back in the day.

My vendors know I'm not going to step on another dealers feet.

They really just don't want for instance someone like Cineramax for instance calling on my customers and trying to sell them a Datasat if I was already selling them one.. Otherwise vendors understand this is a big world and there's room for most everyone

Craig
markrubin likes this.
post #2531 of 2653 Unread 07-27-2015, 01:34 AM
IMMERSION GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
Me too !

Considering we have installed and designed theaters and audio rooms all over the world including Dubai, Israel, England and even president Mubarak's palace back in the day.

My vendors know I'm not going to step on another dealers feet.

They really just don't want for instance someone like Cineramax for instance calling on my customers and trying to sell them a Datasat if I was already selling them one.. Otherwise vendors understand this is a big world and there's room for most everyone

Craig
Actually it was the other way around, one of your clients insisted I had sold him his previous Casablanca, and I swore I did not recall, but he insisted. Jeff cleared it up. Sorry to tell ya, but I am the very first Datasat home theater dealer, so in this case .....hope the conflicting client scenario does not play.
Billybobjimbob likes this.

post #2532 of 2653 Unread 07-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

I think we are talking here about two different things. Obviously if I spend many thosands of Euros, Dollars pr Egyptian pounds to fly in a home cinema designer from another continent I won't mind spending some money for Datasat updated/repairs to be done there too with all inflicting costs like postage, customs, etc.
What I was referring to were people who build everything themselves and want to save some money by importing units either by a good currency exchange rate or different prices due to other economical reasons. Now this savings are easily 'eaten' up if the unit is nimot repaired or updated in my territory and if I have to return it to the States! A Datasat LS10 including Auro has a suggested retail price here in Germany of around 15,500?. The US price is 14,000$. Not long ago the $ to ? exchange rate was somewhere at 1.4 to 1. so even with 20% VAT here in Germany I would have saved over 3,000? if I would have imported a unit. But this would hurt the German distributor as they are most often small stand-alone companies. So if someone comes with a US unit it is understandable for them to say 'No' to prevent others from importing. I once heard from someone who imported a JVC projector. As he found out once returned to Germany the whole operating system was in Japanese. He tried to get a European firmware. JVC refused to provide him that!!
post #2533 of 2653 Unread 08-03-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Well, it's August.. Any news on Atmos, DTS-X?? Peter?
grtuck likes this.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #2534 of 2653 Unread 08-03-2015, 07:03 PM
IMMERSION GURU

dts stocks up,insiders buying!

please give until end of week...

post #2535 of 2653 Unread 08-04-2015, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

I know they have been doing dtsx demos this week with trinnov.
post #2536 of 2653 Unread 08-04-2015, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Will Dirac 2 be released together with the Atmos card? I need it yesterday...
post #2537 of 2653 Unread 08-04-2015, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post
Will Dirac 2 be released together with the Atmos card? I need it yesterday...
Agree
post #2538 of 2653 Unread 08-04-2015, 05:40 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post
I know they have been doing dtsx demos this week with trinnov.
Nick, they've been doing DTS:X demos using an Altitude for 8 or 9 months, now, but Trinnov's pure software approach has little bearing on how the Theta/Datasat MDS-based solution is progressing.
post #2539 of 2653 Unread 08-04-2015, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Nick, they've been doing DTS:X demos using an Altitude for 8 or 9 months, now, but Trinnov's pure software approach has little bearing on how the Theta/Datasat MDS-based solution is progressing.
Yes I'm well aware they have been demoing for some time. But they have recently stepped this up a notch. And of course doesn't help with dsp based processors in terms of release dates. It will be here soon enough. I'm much more excited for dtsx over atmos. Shame I won't be able to skip atmos and just have Auro and dts.
post #2540 of 2653 Unread 08-04-2015, 06:26 AM
IMMERSION GURU

Cool

Quote:
Shame I won't be able to skip atmos and just have Auro and dts.
Sorry to be questioning your mental health here.

Yes the DTS executives seem to be very bullish about something in the near future and are stocking up, but do not let Dolby's stock temporary holding pattern in any way induce you into thinking that Home Atmos will start losing momentum, Dolby's high cost and complexity in the cinema tentpole venue effort is what's behind it. Dolby is confident the stock will jump by another 9.5% very soon analysts are chatting.

And it is well known fact that studios are waiting for UHD BD to deploy immersive audio bundled-in to augment the new formats perceived value (the kitchens-sink features set).

SO SINCE WHEN I AM A STOCK EXPERT??? You may say? Is it not self evident?

DTS has bet the farm on DTS-X; I think That some studios may be buying into the home format (being some bottom line driven I hear through rumors here and by their obvious poor technical facilities in some of the lots). A more cynical explanation is that where we are living in a world where nothing is what it seems, and thus they are manipulating the investors by being bullish. Who knows? My Stocks analysis expertise is only weeks old! ...

... But take a look at Technicolor recent spike and forecasts if you want to wager what the most popular SMPTE 2084 compatible HDR format is likely to be for UHD BD! Am I a quick learner? No?

http://standards.smpte.org/content/9...2084-2014/SEC1

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 08-04-2015 at 06:38 AM.
post #2541 of 2653 Unread 08-04-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2709 Post(s)
Liked: 1581
Quote:
I'm much more excited for dtsx over atmos. Shame I won't be able to skip atmos and just have Auro and dts.
Due to particular features of DTS:X or just anti-Dolby in general?

Sanjay
post #2542 of 2653 Unread 08-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Due to particular features of DTS:X or just anti-Dolby in general?
Not anti Dolby at all. It's just I have heard atmos a few times now and find it not that great. I find Auromatic on an atMos track to sound better.

Also there are a few aspects of dtsx that I like. I like the idea of being able to raise the volume on dialogue tracks. And every one I have spoken to who have heard dtsx have been way more impressed than with AtMos. But could be down to mix??
post #2543 of 2653 Unread 08-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not anti Dolby at all. It's just I have heard atmos a few times now and find it not that great. I find Auromatic on an atMos track to sound better.

Also there are a few aspects of dtsx that I like. I like the idea of being able to raise the volume on dialogue tracks. And every one I have spoken to who have heard dtsx have been way more impressed than with AtMos. But could be down to mix??
What setup did you hear Atmos with? I heard it last year with an Onkyo pre/pro and about 30€ speakers. It was really not very good but presumably not comparable to what Datasat will make out of it!
post #2544 of 2653 Unread 08-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What setup did you hear Atmos with? I heard it last year with an Onkyo pre/pro and about 30€ speakers. It was really not very good but presumably not comparable to what Datasat will make out of it!
Yeah anything onkyo sounds really poor to me from my experience.

I have heard the top denon and marrantz offerings. Both in my room in place of the Datasat. I have compared Auro / AtMos thru the same pre pros and atMos in the big brands to Auro in the Datasat which of course is a very unfair comparison.

But even comparing Auromatic on a atMos soundtrack thru the marrantz sounds better than native atMos.

The rest of my chain is Datasat and Ada amps. 13.4 B&W diamond setup. With aerial and PHC subs.
post #2545 of 2653 Unread 08-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Sorry to be questioning your mental health here.

Yes the DTS executives seem to be very bullish about something in the near future and are stocking up, but do not let Dolby's stock temporary holding pattern in any way induce you into thinking that Home Atmos will start losing momentum, Dolby's high cost and complexity in the cinema tentpole venue effort is what's behind it. Dolby is confident the stock will jump by another 9.5% very soon analysts are chatting.

And it is well known fact that studios are waiting for UHD BD to deploy immersive audio bundled-in to augment the new formats perceived value (the kitchens-sink features set).

SO SINCE WHEN I AM A STOCK EXPERT??? You may say? Is it not self evident?

DTS has bet the farm on DTS-X; I think That some studios may be buying into the home format (being some bottom line driven I hear through rumors here and by their obvious poor technical facilities in some of the lots). A more cynical explanation is that where we are living in a world where nothing is what it seems, and thus they are manipulating the investors by being bullish. Who knows? My Stocks analysis expertise is only weeks old! ...

... But take a look at Technicolor recent spike and forecasts if you want to wager what the most popular SMPTE 2084 compatible HDR format is likely to be for UHD BD! Am I a quick learner? No?

http://standards.smpte.org/content/9...2084-2014/SEC1
Very interesting.

But I think sometimes all our mental health needs questioning after spending near on a mil on this hobby over the years. Lol
post #2546 of 2653 Unread 08-04-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2709 Post(s)
Liked: 1581
Quote:
Also there are a few aspects of dtsx that I like. I like the idea of being able to raise the volume on dialogue tracks.
Encoding the dialogue stem as a separate (user adjustable) object has always been built into home Atmos. While I think it would be a really useful feature, most movie mixers I've talked to have said "you want to do WHAT to the dialogue balance of my mix!?!" So good luck getting movie studios to implement that feature.
Quote:
And every one I have spoken to who have heard dtsx have been way more impressed than with AtMos. But could be down to mix??
If they were listening to different content, then they were comparing mixes instead of comparing delivery formats. Like listening to 'The Notebook' in DTS-HD MA and 'Transformers' in TrueHD, then saying you were way more impressed with TrueHD. That's not really a comparison of codecs.

Sanjay
post #2547 of 2653 Unread 08-05-2015, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

The interesting question for me is if Datasat for their Atmos implementation will allow 6 height speakers in 3 pairs. This would be an absolute plus in comparison to all Atmos units available so far (except for the Trinnov Altitude). As the LS10 is not as flexible in speaker assignment as the RS20i the Center Heught and VOG outputs could function as the third height pair (next to front and side height)!

Last edited by westmd; 08-05-2015 at 10:55 PM.
post #2548 of 2653 Unread 08-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Quote:
Also there are a few aspects of dtsx that I like. I like the idea of being able to raise the volume on dialogue tracks.
Encoding the dialogue stem as a separate (user adjustable) object has always been built into home Atmos. While I think it would be a really useful feature, most movie mixers I've talked to have said "you want to do WHAT to the dialogue balance of my mixe!?!" So good luck getting movie studios to implement that feature.
I used the function if dialogue increase a lot on my Lexicon MC1. Now with the Datasat and especially the DIRAC calibration I did not have the need to raise the dialouge level. Especially DIRAC makes the dialouges so clearly understandable with all kinds of content.
When I read about this feature back in January I understood it more for sport events anyway where you want more or less a stadium feeling. I can understand that a sound mixee can be quite annoyed as he ahould be welk aware if the bakance between music, effecrs, dialouges, etc.
post #2549 of 2653 Unread 08-05-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
The interesting question for me is if Datasat for their Atmos implementation will allow 6 height speakers in 3 pairs. This would be an absolute plus in comparison to all Atmos units availabke so far. As the LS10 is not as flexible in speaker assignment as the RS20i the Center Heught and VOG outputs could function as the third height pair (next to front and side height)!

For completion, you should amend that to "all Atmos units available so far with the exception of the Trinnov Altitude". The Altitude supports up to 10 height speakers if you've got the 24 or 32 channel versions.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 16/24, NAD M27 amp, Crown XLS 1502 stereo amps (2)
Display: Panasonic VT50, Lumagen Radiance Mini
Misc.: Oppo 103, Apple TV, JRiver ID NUC
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2, Center, and X2T Surrounds; Atlantic Tech 44-DA heights (4), HSU ULS-15 subs (2)
More gear to follow as I get going with the Altitude...
post #2550 of 2653 Unread 08-05-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
The interesting question for me is if Datasat for their Atmos implementation will allow 6 height speakers in 3 pairs. This would be an absolute plus in comparison to all Atmos units availabke so far. As the LS10 is not as flexible in speaker assignment as the RS20i the Center Heught and VOG outputs could function as the third height pair (next to front and side height)!
I hope there is the option of 6 or even 8, if one isn't going to deploy widths. If the option for heights is only 4, then that isn't acceptable in my book.

21inch hitachi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)