Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 239Likes

post #2791 of 3113 Old 10-23-2015, 10:55 PM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Cool All give Walter Fortmulller a round of applause for making Immersion 2025 possible!

I have had the adventure of a lifetime, he called it a roller coaster. A true gentleman, tremendous integrity and knowledge that challenges my most advanced technical notions, next time we fly in business class instead of driving 3,500 miles! LOL

Thank you for putting up with me for 3 weeks!

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 10-24-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3113 Old 10-24-2015, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Peter, any information on when we will see Dirac 2 out for the masses? My last chat with datasat had me confused as they said not even they have it working, which was a day after I had seen your vid with Mike talking about how he uses both. Lol
post #2793 of 3113 Old 10-24-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Here is a white paper of our new crossover selection of choice.
which product is actually offering NT filters? It's patented isn't it? not sure who owns that patent though

FWIW you may find http://www.acourate.com/XOWhitePaper.pdf interesting on the subject of comparing different filter shapes.
post #2794 of 3113 Old 10-24-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Is anyone using the Datasat with ProAudio Technology speakers? I'm interested in these speakers (to be used along with a Datasat) but there doesn't seem to be many people on AVS with these speakers. I would love to hear from owners or people that have experience ProAudio to learn what they thing about them, how you like them, what type of reputation they have etc. Please post a reply here or feel welcome to PM me as well. Thanks!
post #2795 of 3113 Old 10-24-2015, 10:39 AM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Is anyone using the Datasat with ProAudio Technology speakers? I'm interested in these speakers (to be used along with a Datasat) but there doesn't seem to be many people on AVS with these speakers. I would love to hear from owners or people that have experience ProAudio to learn what they thing about them, how you like them, what type of reputation they have etc. Please post a reply here or feel welcome to PM me as well. Thanks!
Read all about it here. This Job boosted their sales tremendously specially overseas. Great subwoofer company period. regarding 2-20khz I felt the performance was maliciously misrepresented, fraudulent inducement rank, specially since i dumped Steinway for this crap. Adorned run of the mil QSC cinema speakers. If you care to know what I really think of these. Let me not distract everyone with a 3 page litany of grievances. Walter and the Alcons owner stopped short of regurgitating on that demo. Mitigating performance aspects besides the awesome subs, high dynamics, but we all know by know horns are no longer needed for that!

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 10-24-2015 at 11:01 AM.
post #2796 of 3113 Old 10-24-2015, 11:09 AM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post
Peter, any information on when we will see Dirac 2 out for the masses? My last chat with datasat had me confused as they said not even they have it working, which was a day after I had seen your vid with Mike talking about how he uses both. Lol
No, not really but 2:30 am Thursday morning before opening Mike Smith and Mike Schurtz (?) the premiere Dirac 2 calibrators in tandem.

post #2797 of 3113 Old 10-24-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Read all about it here. This Job boosted their sales tremendously specially overseas. Great subwoofer company period. regarding 2-20khz I felt the performance was maliciously misrepresented, fraudulent inducement rank, specially since i dumped Steinway for this crap. Adorned run of the mil QSC cinema speakers. If you care to know what I really think of these. Let me not distract everyone with a 3 page litany of grievances. Walter and the Alcons owner stopped short of regurgitating on that demo. Mitigating performance aspects besides the awesome subs, high dynamics, but we all know by know horns are no longer needed for that!
Thanks. However I'm confused... From your recent posts here it sounds like you have a strong dislike for the ProAudio, unless I am misunderstanding your recent posts here? I just spent a few hours reading through your entire Skoll thread from beginning to end. I was expecting to see you get to a point where you were posting about problems with the sound and that you or the client wasn't happy or problems with the EQ or whatever else that may have lead to a less than favourable outcome with the ProAudio - but I didn't come across anything at all.

Reading through it, I see where you talk about how picky you are with sound and went to great lengths to find the speakers and how you were excited to go with ProAudio. I see where you had it EQ'ed and seemed happy with it. I see where the client and friends loved the room and everyone seemed happy with its performance. So when you referred me to that thread and said I could read all about your issues with ProAudio there - I'm not seeing anything. What am I missing? Thanks!
post #2798 of 3113 Old 10-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
No, not really but 2:30 am Thursday morning before opening Mike Smith and Mike Schurtz (?) the premiere Dirac 2 calibrators in tandem.
Isn't that Mike Skrzat?
post #2799 of 3113 Old 10-24-2015, 12:40 PM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
Isn't that Mike Skrzat?
No wonder I can never spell it!
post #2800 of 3113 Old 10-24-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
...Then I remeber reading about the pro audio and I explained to Larry in no uncertain terms what was expected of the system it had to sound exactly as the ATI amps with italian horn CINEPRO did. He assured it would be an order of magnitude superior. Therein lies the rub, it was not...
So you had not heard the ProAudio system before it was installed? Or you had, and it didn't sound like what you wanted?

Quote:
...the icepower amps sound somewhat muffled, the first gen did,
Are the more recent icepower amps that ProAudio is using improved compared to what you were using back then?

Quote:
and the horn sound is Harsh and fatiguing galore. I have sepnt weeks in that cinema and the fatigue effect is stressing.
I am curious if your client was concerned about it. In reading your review thread everyone sounded really happy with the performance of the system.

Quote:
By comparison at 112 deibels the new systems you can listen for weeks and come out as if you had a massage, many attendees to the immersion 2025 expressed surprise we played so realistic and essentially felt what I refer to as emerging out of the demo as having had a massage session. I swear.
What "new systems" are you talking about? What speakers/manufacturers? I assume you do not mean the latest ProAudio and their amps.

Quote:
...From the bottom of my heart, want a great system? look at Quested and look at Alcons, if another one comes around which I feel is better I will be the first to voice that, just as I almost jumped ship with my fellow would be rats here that like the house sound of datasat a lot but demand high channel counts. I have been quiet about this for several reasons but after the vomitif CEDIA session its hard to contain the guilt. I needed to break my silence.
What CEDIA session are you talking about? The ProAudio demo at CEDIA 2015 that just passed?

Quote:
...I will say one thing, I have Champagne taste with beer pockets so why don't you go listen for yourself?
I did. I heard the ProAudio setup at CEDIA 2015 and thought it sounded fantastic. However I am relatively new to the world of high fidelity audio so I haven't heard enough systems to know where it really ranks. When I read about your opinion on the ProAudio it gives me pause as it should, so I am trying to understand the specifics of your situation to know if it also applies to my situation. For example, if part of the issue had to do with older ice amps that are now replaced and better, perhaps some of your concerns have been addressed...?

Regarding the Alcons - were these speakers used in the JBL Synthesis room at CEDIA 2015? If so, I thought they sounded very good overall, but for my particular tastes that may have sounded a bit too bright. I was sitting on the floor in front of the first row, so that may have impacted my impression.

As a side note - I am wondering - have you heard Procella speakers and if so how do you think they compare to the ProAudio? Do you like the JBL Pro horns?
post #2801 of 3113 Old 10-24-2015, 01:19 PM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
So you had not heard the ProAudio system before it was installed? Or you had, and it didn't sound like what you wanted?

Are the more recent icepower amps that ProAudio is using improved compared to what you were using back then?

I am curious if your client was concerned about it. In reading your review thread everyone sounded really happy with the performance of the system.

What "new systems" are you talking about? What speakers/manufacturers? I assume you do not mean the latest ProAudio and their amps.

What CEDIA session are you talking about? The ProAudio demo at CEDIA 2015 that just passed?

I did. I heard the ProAudio setup at CEDIA 2015 and thought it sounded fantastic. However I am relatively new to the world of high fidelity audio so I haven't heard enough systems to know where it really ranks. When I read about your opinion on the ProAudio it gives me pause as it should, so I am trying to understand the specifics of your situation to know if it also applies to my situation. For example, if part of the issue had to do with older ice amps that are now replaced and better, perhaps some of your concerns have been addressed...?

Regarding the Alcons - were these speakers used in the JBL Synthesis room at CEDIA 2015? If so, I thought they sounded very good overall, but for my particular tastes that may have sounded a bit too bright. I was sitting on the floor in front of the first row, so that may have impacted my impression.

As a side note - I am wondering - have you heard Procella speakers and if so how do you think they compare to the ProAudio? Do you like the JBL Pro horns?
Listen to what gary reber had to say about the special uncompressed demo we did with datasat and alcons only 3 showings at cedia total in Barco booth.. Mark My words PERCEPTION is learned, we spent 6.5 million to find the best.

also read this other thread on the alcons audio. I my firend might just have saved your life, at least your ears for sure. Hindsight is 2020.

I am going to shower pick up my catch of the day sashimi, pick up my wheatgrass, grab a few habanos and answer your questions which are no longer relevant you will see.

I will answer the above question in a couple of hours, but by then you will be a fatigue free high spl convert. I believe I saw your email, if so I will send you literature as well we can carry the discussion further. Thanks for the persistence, I have saved your neck. Promise.
post #2802 of 3113 Old 10-24-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'm sure JBL had JBL speakers. It sounded very good but I wished they would have pushed just a hair to see if there was any breakdown.

To me PROAUDIOTECH is harsh and a bit uncomfortable to listen to at high volumes. I think the highs are lacking. I think for the price one can do better.

Mike Miles
ICR | Home based AV Business - mmiles442004@yahoo.com
Process Integration Inc. | System Integration - mmiles@processintegrationinc.com
Open Automation Software | SCADA and more mikemiles@opcsystems.com
post #2803 of 3113 Old 10-24-2015, 04:34 PM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Cool To Put a Face and a voice with Mike Miles before powernap.

Loving,

This is what Mike had to say at the hard to see IMMERSION 2025 Barco/Datasat-Auro/Alcons demo after seeing the compressed 5.1 48/16 DCI 2d 4k Demo that looked great but paled with the AUROMATIC upconverted 12.1 3D 96/24 uncompressed demo. Thanks Mike! I wholly concur with your harshness assessment although Dirac does tame it some. Although the 100% improvement gave the impression that we tweaked, wee did not Tweak anything just enabling 3D on the projector allowed us to play superior immersive 3D audio, even blu ray 2d the night before (played through the player that needed laser reboot to work) the show sounded awesome, best tank battle ever!!! But don't make fun of my laugh. Walter says at the end SPEECHLESS.

As I told you in the email I will take a 4 hour nap and come back to the discussion, you have sufficient material to see how we have Progressed from Point A (SKOLL) all the way through the different moons to point G (our cedia demo) with your reading assignments. Best! till then.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 10-24-2015 at 04:47 PM.
post #2804 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Tried to do a Dirac measurement but failed on the laptop that used to work properly. The only difference is that now it's running Windows 10. Is Windows 10 incompatible with the Dirac 1 software or the USBPre2 drivers? I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver but that did not help. When I try to the start the measurement after selecting the channels I get an error message (can't set up proxy or something like that) and game over.
post #2805 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 04:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post
Tried to do a Dirac measurement but failed on the laptop that used to work properly. The only difference is that now it's running Windows 10. Is Windows 10 incompatible with the Dirac 1 software or the USBPre2 drivers? I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver but that did not help. When I try to the start the measurement after selecting the channels I get an error message (can't set up proxy or something like that) and game over.
Are you using the Datasat mic kit or just the Datasat software and your own mic? Thanks!

It's back!! Wine of the Week! This week the Catalunyan Equilibrista. I wonderful, full bodied blend from Spain that drinks at twice the price. Tried a bottle and bought a case! Priced right! $28

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon
post #2806 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Are you using the Datasat mic kit or just the Datasat software and your own mic? Thanks!
My mic (Earthworks).
post #2807 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 05:07 AM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

And is it calibrated for 90 degrees?
post #2808 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My mic (Earthworks).
I assume a mic preamp, too. And any old router? What is the physical set up to do a calibration with your own equipment? Thanks!

It's back!! Wine of the Week! This week the Catalunyan Equilibrista. I wonderful, full bodied blend from Spain that drinks at twice the price. Tried a bottle and bought a case! Priced right! $28

post #2809 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 06:49 AM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Quote:
I assume a mic preamp, too. And any old router? What is the physical set up to do a calibration with your own equipment? Thanks!

Same as we use, but calibrated for greater accuracy.
post #2810 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
When I got my Datasat training, I was very specifically told that Dirac prefers Windows XP but will work (usually) with Windows 7, which is what I use. I don't think it has anything to do with the mic preamp or mic. i would email Datasat and ask them.

Our Theater

FS: Audyssey Pro Kit

Obsessed is just a word the ill-informed use to describe the dedicated
post #2811 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In adding some new speakers for Atmos, when I re-run DIRAC, does it wipe out specific EQ settings (for example in the subs)?

post #2812 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And is it calibrated for 90 degrees?
Not specifically, but they are supposed to have little deviation concerning direction of sound. Anyway, with height speakers it's not 90 which are required.
post #2813 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
mic + usbpre2 + software from Datasat.
post #2814 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Will the RS20i do 9.x.4 with Atmos or limited to 7.x.4/9.x.2 since it is DSP based?
post #2815 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
Will the RS20i do 9.x.4 with Atmos or limited to 7.x.4/9.x.2 since it is DSP based?
It is DSP based. You can create "pseudo channels" by copying the input from a real channel to another output channel and playing with trim and distance. For example, you could copy the front left (or maybe surround left) input to a wide left output and reduce the trim to "simulate" a wide channel. But, like every other DSP based processor, it's input is limited to 7.x.4.

Eventually, one hopes that the DSP abilities will be expanded to more channels!!!

Our Theater

post #2816 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
It is DSP based. You can create "pseudo channels" by copying the input from a real channel to another output channel and playing with trim and distance. For example, you could copy the front left (or maybe surround left) input to a wide left output and reduce the trim to "simulate" a wide channel. But, like every other DSP based processor, it's input is limited to 7.x.4.

Eventually, one hopes that the DSP abilities will be expanded to more channels!!!
I'm planning on doing such to add a second set of side surrounds.

post #2817 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm planning on doing such to add a second set of side surrounds.
In that case, you may want to consider "grouping" those two output channels

Our Theater

post #2818 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
In that case, you may want to consider "grouping" those two output channels
Grouping? I think I have some homework to do! Or is it that difficult? Id there a step-by-step manual?

Thanks!

post #2819 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe grouping is not the official name for this feature (I'm not in front of the manual - which you may want to download if u have not already). It is where you tell the system to treat two (or more I guess) output channels as one. When you do this, you do give up the ability to obtain all of the functionallity of Dirac on those combined channels. Don't hold me to this since I'm not in front of the manual, but I believe you only get correction in the frequency domain and not the time or phase domain.

If u do download the manual, make sure it corresponds to the version of the software u r using.

Our Theater

post #2820 of 3113 Old 10-26-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Could be your Java version. I found Dirac 1 did not work on my laptop with Java beyond the whole number version (6?) supplied on the disc from Datasat.

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.
Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Too many to show in my signature - see here for the master list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page