Buying an Ipad, need some advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 12-23-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Treating myself to a IPad for a Christmas present. I know a lot of folkes here use them as remotres, keep music stored on them etc. I'm just wondering how much memory should I get??? My current ITunes is way to big, but wondering if more memory is better for everything else???

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-24-2012, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk3030 View Post

Treating myself to a IPad for a Christmas present. I know a lot of folkes here use them as remotres, keep music stored on them etc. I'm just wondering how much memory should I get??? My current ITunes is way to big, but wondering if more memory is better for everything else???

As a former iPad owner I will respond as follows:

1. As much as you an afford...I had a 64 GB iPad and needed at least 40 GB for apps (and, at that just the basic ones), calendar, contacts, movies (the odd one for travelling), music and other BASIC items. The one possible flaw with the iPad is that it can not accept external storage [i.e. SD cards].

2. I ended up selling my iPad because it was not functional based on my lifestyle...i found that I am much better with an iPhone and a MacBook Air...there is nothing an iPhone can not do that an iPad can and, when I need / want a bigger screen or want to actually do work a MBA is much better but, as always, to each their own.

Hope this helps,

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #3 of 31 Old 12-24-2012, 05:22 AM

Liked: 32
It all comes down to what you plan on storing on it. We have just some basic apps on our iPad 4th gen 16gb, no music. Match with a Key board cover, it pretty much becomes very versatile. It will really come down to how you plan on using it.
post #4 of 31 Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My advice is, get the most storage you can afford. That being said, just because you have a lot of storage space doesn't mean you should waste it. iTunes Match is the key to making effecient use of your space. I have 40GB+ of music however I'm only using up 4GB of space on my iPad. iTunes Match basically gives all your idevices access to all your music in the cloud, and only downloads the music you want to play. My wife can access the same music library on her iPhone 5 and iPad mini, all while using very little space on any device. The service is $25 per year and well worth it. No more connecting to a laptop to transfer music and no more wasted space on any iDevice.

I'd also recommend getting an LTE version. The reason I say that is, the internet and an iPad go hand in hand. I have a 4th gen 64GB LTE iPad and love the fact that I can take it anywhere and always have access to the internet. You also have a built in GPS. Another great thing about an LTE enabled device is, if it gets stolen, I can remotely wipe it at any time. smile.gif

I'd also highly recommend an app for all the movie collectors called "Movie Manager for iPad." I have over 700 blu-ray movies and this little app does a fantastic job of cataloging all my movies. It uses the iPad camera to let you quickly scan your movie into your library using UPC bar code. Now I can quickly browse my collection using my iPad.

And while you're at it, get an Apple TV. I use my iPad to stream music from my iPad to my Apple TV and it works flawlessly. Beautiful combination.
post #5 of 31 Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

As a former iPad owner I will respond as follows:
1. As much as you an afford...I had a 64 GB iPad and needed at least 40 GB for apps (and, at that just the basic ones), calendar, contacts, movies (the odd one for travelling), music and other BASIC items. The one possible flaw with the iPad is that it can not accept external storage [i.e. SD cards].
2. I ended up selling my iPad because it was not functional based on my lifestyle...i found that I am much better with an iPhone and a MacBook Air...there is nothing an iPhone can not do that an iPad can and, when I need / want a bigger screen or want to actually do work a MBA is much better but, as always, to each their own.
Hope this helps,

An iPad is a much better device for watching movies on a plane. The iPhone is too small and a laptop is too bulky. I also much prefer sitting on the couch surfing on an iPad rather than using a laptop.
post #6 of 31 Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

An iPad is a much better device for watching movies on a plane. The iPhone is too small and a laptop is too bulky. I also much prefer sitting on the couch surfing on an iPad rather than using a laptop.

I agree but note the following:

1. At least for me the cost of an iPad for plane rides is not worthwhile as I always have my MacBook with me which is actually larger than an iPad...I also believe that for infrequent viewing an iPhone is fine to fight off the boredom.

2. At least for me I prefer surfing on my MBA as I never the keyboard on the iPad...but, again, that is just me.

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #7 of 31 Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

I agree but note the following:
1. At least for me the cost of an iPad for plane rides is not worthwhile as I always have my MacBook with me which is actually larger than an iPad...I also believe that for infrequent viewing an iPhone is fine to fight off the boredom.
2. At least for me I prefer surfing on my MBA as I never the keyboard on the iPad...but, again, that is just me.

This is just a preference thing. If you prefer a MacBook Air over an iPad for surfing, there's nothing wrong with that. However, I think most will prefer an iPad for casual surfing and a MacBook Air or Pro for doing real work.
post #8 of 31 Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

This is just a preference thing. If you prefer a MacBook Air over an iPad for surfing, there's nothing wrong with that. However, I think most will prefer an iPad for casual surfing and a MacBook Air or Pro for doing real work.

Think its more about the person you are and what you take with you on the road. I always have a iPhone/ipad and macbook air with me since well my bag is still less in weight than with the old macbook pro.

But esp. for hometheater use its better as a at home device. I would say with so many nice apps out for homecontrol, audio, video anyone with a HT should try worse thing that can happen is you need to resell it with $200 loss max.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #9 of 31 Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Well I ended up buying the Retina display one, 64gb. Is it amazing, I just cant believe all the stuff it can do. No wonder pc business is hurting.

post #10 of 31 Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 PM

The Desktop market is not hurting in any way. Most get used as servers, so there is always going to be a market for conventional systems. The only place you are not seeing them as much now, is in the home, since places like Best Buy, Office Max, Staples, Walmart, Sam's Club, etc. are pushing tablets & Laptops more than the beige box.
post #11 of 31 Old 01-05-2013, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Per the WSJ for Dell, can't speak for others though

Revenue from PCs, which still account for about half of Dell's sales, declined 19% from a year ago to $6.6 billion. The biggest drop was in sales to consumers, which fell 23% to $2.5 billion.

PCs are in the thick of an industry-wide decline as customers increasingly turn to tablets or smartphones. In the third quarter, world-wide shipments of PCs plunged more than 8% from a year earlier, according to research firm IDC. Dell's shipments fell 14% in the quarter, IDC said.

With one exception—its server and networking business grew 11% over the quarter—revenue in each of Dell's product categories declined from a year ago. Sales for storage products dropped 16%, software and accessories fell 11%, and services were down 1%. Sales were off across all of its customer segments as well.

post #12 of 31 Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

The Desktop market is not hurting in any way. Most get used as servers, so there is always going to be a market for conventional systems. The only place you are not seeing them as much now, is in the home, since places like Best Buy, Office Max, Staples, Walmart, Sam's Club, etc. are pushing tablets & Laptops more than the beige box.

The desktop market is definitely hurting. That's not to say there isn't a use for them, but in the consumer area, people are turning to smartphones and tablets rather than the traditional PC.
post #13 of 31 Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Actually it isn't. Still going as strong as ever. Especially in the Government & private sector medical & office sectors. Desktops will never go away. Only thing that will change is the way we will interact with them, along with the software, but the beige box market will never die.

Only reason that most consumers are going with Smartphones, is because they are cheaper now, than they were two to three years ago. As for tablets, the market share is not as big as you think that it is. Even with the price range that it is, there are still a lot that are either not going to adopt the tablet interface yet, or are still confused, because there are too many brands out there.

The numbers are just not there, in showing that there has been a huge consumer demand for portable devices as you are thinking, in the way of tablets & laptops. Even though using smartphones, do not use the full power that they offer. Most just text, take photos to share on facebook, or make calls. There is more to a smartphone, than those few items, that you can do.
post #14 of 31 Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually it isn't. Still going as strong as ever. Especially in the Government & private sector medical & office sectors. Desktops will never go away. Only thing that will change is the way we will interact with them, along with the software, but the beige box market will never die.
Only reason that most consumers are going with Smartphones, is because they are cheaper now, than they were two to three years ago. As for tablets, the market share is not as big as you think that it is. Even with the price range that it is, there are still a lot that are either not going to adopt the tablet interface yet, or are still confused, because there are too many brands out there.
The numbers are just not there, in showing that there has been a huge consumer demand for portable devices as you are thinking, in the way of tablets & laptops. Even though using smartphones, do not use the full power that they offer. Most just text, take photos to share on facebook, or make calls. There is more to a smartphone, than those few items, that you can do.

You are in serious denial.

"Shipments of PCs in the U.S. shrank during the most recent quarter by more than 12 percent, according to IDC, and by nearly 14 percent, according to Gartner Inc. Meanwhile, analysts at IHS iSuppli predict global PC shipments will contract this year for the first time since 2001."

http://www.wired.com/business/2012/10/pc-sales-slump/
post #15 of 31 Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 PM

No, but I do not believe the fud that magazines like Wired are paid to put out, by certain companies. Go back and re-read what I posted before, and then maybe re-read what you posted, and both of us are stating the same thing, but I am stating the reality of the direction that desktops are going. Yes they are not being bought by the consumer, but businesses in both the Government & private sector still will be purchasing them, for use in both in servers, and for those uses that laptops are not able to be used in.

So again, it may be shrinking in the consumer market, but still the same in the business world. Desktops are not going away any time soon, no matter what fantasy world you live in.
post #16 of 31 Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, but I do not believe the fud that magazines like Wired are paid to put out, by certain companies. Go back and re-read what I posted before, and then maybe re-read what you posted, and both of us are stating the same thing, but I am stating the reality of the direction that desktops are going. Yes they are not being bought by the consumer, but businesses in both the Government & private sector still will be purchasing them, for use in both in servers, and for those uses that laptops are not able to be used in.
So again, it may be shrinking in the consumer market, but still the same in the business world. Desktops are not going away any time soon, no matter what fantasy world you live in.

You can't say "the Desktop market is not hurting in any way" and "still going as strong as ever" and ignore the consumer segment. The facts are, the PC market is hurting. Consumers are realizing they don't need a laptop or desktop for their needs and businesses are refreshing their desktops using a longer life cycle due to Intel's big performance boosts over the last few years in their chips, resulting in fewer PC orders. No, tablets are not replacing desktops in the business world, but HP and Dell are seeng PC sales decline even in that market segment. Also take into consideration, gaming consoles are also putting the squeeze on the PC gaming market. Put that all together and you can clearly see, PC sales are taking a beating.

So no, desktop sales are not "stronger than ever."
post #17 of 31 Old 01-06-2013, 11:24 AM

Again, the desktop market is not hurting, nor is it going away anytime soon. Case in point, end of story.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again, the desktop market is not hurting, nor is it going away anytime soon. Case in point, end of story.

lol, so you are saying you're right because you say so, despite the evidence stating the contrary. Ok. Well, I'm going to go ahead and continue this discussion with a wall. It may be better at dealing with reality than you are.
post #19 of 31 Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 PM

Laoche, you are the one that is the wall, not me. I know the direction that the consumer, and the business market is going, and again, as I have stated over and over, desktop computer systems are not going away, and I can keep stating it over and over, until I am blue in the face.

Sorry, but the writing is not on the wall for computer systems that are used for production environments that require a rack mounted computer, or in a business environment that also requires desktop systems. Yes the consumer market is moving more towards portability, but there are still households that will always have a desktop or non-portable computer system in it as a server, or for production type work, like photography, music & video editing.
post #20 of 31 Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, let me get this straight.
1- gartner & WSJ. Are a bunch of hacks?
2' most desktops are used as servers?
3. Servers are the biggest part of the PC industry.
4. Have you ever seen a server rack?
5. have you ever heard of virtual servers?

My friend, you need a realty check or at least post some nbrs that the desktop, server market is booming? Funny my Apple stock has done quite well as opposed to my dell stock or hp stock

post #21 of 31 Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Actually most business are replacing desktops due to MS dropping support of XP.

post #22 of 31 Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Actually most business are replacing desktops due to MS dropping support of XP.
100% incorrect.
post #23 of 31 Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Ok, let me get this straight.
1- gartner & WSJ. Are a bunch of hacks?
2' most desktops are used as servers?
3. Servers are the biggest part of the PC industry.
4. Have you ever seen a server rack?
5. have you ever heard of virtual servers?

My friend, you need a realty check or at least post some nbrs that the desktop, server market is booming? Funny my Apple stock has done quite well as opposed to my dell stock or hp stock
Who cares what company stock is doing better than the other. Again, the Desktop market is not going anywhere no matter what you and the OP believe. Also never stated that it is booming, so looks like you and the OP need the reality check not me.
post #24 of 31 Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Laoche, you are the one that is the wall, not me. I know the direction that the consumer, and the business market is going, and again, as I have stated over and over, desktop computer systems are not going away, and I can keep stating it over and over, until I am blue in the face.
Sorry, but the writing is not on the wall for computer systems that are used for production environments that require a rack mounted computer, or in a business environment that also requires desktop systems. Yes the consumer market is moving more towards portability, but there are still households that will always have a desktop or non-portable computer system in it as a server, or for production type work, like photography, music & video editing.

You obviously do not, if you are saying the desktop market is doing better than ever. That is completely inaccurate. Yes, there is still a need for powerful desktop/workstations, but the people that once used a PC to surf the net and post on Facebook are now replacing their PC's with tablets/smartphones. I never said tablets are going to kill the desktop market, but it sure is hurting it. Like I said, for those that need the power of a high end desktop/workstation I'm sure they will still use a desktop. For those that use it for listening to music, surfing the net, or any other casual uses, they are now turning to tablets. As a result, PC sales are turning into tablets sales which is HURTING the desktop market. This transition is mainly going on in the consumer market, but it is a significant market. And this transition is HURTING the desktop market.
post #25 of 31 Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who cares what company stock is doing better than the other. Again, the Desktop market is not going anywhere no matter what you and the OP believe. Also never stated that it is booming, so looks like you and the OP need the reality check not me.

No one said the desktop market is dying. That's just you making that leap. It's just shrinking. A desktop is just a tool, and that tool is being replaced by another tool (tablet/smartphone) that is better suited for SOME people, not all.

Quote:
Also never stated that it is booming, so looks like you and the OP need the reality check not me.

Oh really. Then what did you mean when you said the desktop market is "still going as strong as ever?" The desktop market was once booming, but it sure isn't now. So what did you mean by it's "still going as strong as ever?" It's definitely not booming. It's not even holding its ground. So what could you have possibly meant by that statement?
post #26 of 31 Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Who cares what company stock is doing better than the other.

Enough said.

post #27 of 31 Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I can assure you in our business that the beige box is slowly being replaced by Laptops and all in ones as our clients either change formats or upgrade it is never to the tower ,monitor and keyboard but either all in ones or laptops and to my surprise a lot of tablet use mainly do to space,cost and less maintenance since tablets and laptops don't require surge protectors and battery backups like their box counterparts.
The graphics people are migrating to iMac's where it was Mac Pro or nothing and in the medical field my wife informs me tablets are now everywhere and there is hardly a roll cart with a tower assembly so yeah I would say they are not as popular as they once were and yes there will still be a need here and there currently.
post #28 of 31 Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 AM

Individuals have been predicting the demise of the computer workstation from offices great for the past six years. Has it happened, no. It is the same that ten years ago that offices would be 100% paper free, again has not happened. Every office or work environment is different, and desktops are not going to go 100% away, due to there will still be a demand for them in certain environments.

As for going portable, some offices are still keeping a mix of portable and desktop workstation, depending on the end-user, and the fact that tablets cannot do everything, and will never do everything, that a beige box or Mac desktop has the power to do, unless you are willing to spend thousands of dollars on a machine that has the power, but does not have the expandability on the fly that a boxed computer has.
post #29 of 31 Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Individuals have been predicting the demise of the computer workstation from offices great for the past six years. Has it happened, no. It is the same that ten years ago that offices would be 100% paper free, again has not happened. Every office or work environment is different, and desktops are not going to go 100% away, due to there will still be a demand for them in certain environments.
As for going portable, some offices are still keeping a mix of portable and desktop workstation, depending on the end-user, and the fact that tablets cannot do everything, and will never do everything, that a beige box or Mac desktop has the power to do, unless you are willing to spend thousands of dollars on a machine that has the power, but does not have the expandability on the fly that a boxed computer has.

I believe they will be around for business for awhile but home user has spoken and sales of towers have declined at a rapid rate for a lot of people out there a laptop and tablet gets the job done and being mobile is a plus since owning an iPad 32gb I find myself reaching for it more since it does not run a full blown OS it fires up quickly and has a great display (retina) and lets face it checking email and surfing the web requires very little processing power and if heavy lifting is needed the laptops of today easily stay up with all but the most expensive towers.
post #30 of 31 Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 AM

oztech, I think that I and others have already covered the fact that for the consumer market, their ways are changing towards portable devices. Maybe read the whole thread, then just posting what others have already stated over and over. For the business market, it depends on the worker that needs either a laptop or desktop workstation, or the business choice in general, that is deciding how that particular business is going to make change in what they are going to purchase for use by their workers.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page