Fully automate my theater, where to start? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I am trying to fully automate my home theater.

For starters, I am going to use an i-Pad with the i-Rule. But how do I go about linking all the components, the PJ, the RS20i receiver and the Oppo bluray? Do I need some sort of RS-232 setup or something else. Any help would be very much appreciated.

And I did not know where else to post this thread, but I figured most people here have fully automated.

Cheers

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

I am trying to fully automate my home theater.
For starters, I am going to use an i-Pad with the i-Rule. But how do I go about linking all the components, the PJ, the RS20i receiver and the Oppo bluray? Do I need some sort of RS-232 setup or something else. Any help would be very much appreciated.
And I did not know where else to post this thread, but I figured most people here have fully automated.
Cheers

Dave:

Although I cannot answer your question as I am a Crestron user I would suggest that you post your questions in the AVS' Home Automation forum / section as there are a number of people there -- including The Bland -- who use iRule and will be able to assist you.

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #3 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Done,the link to the new thread

Thanks Joel, for the advice BTW.

My build thread

post #4 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
bang for the buck and DIY friendly makes iRule a great option for you. Now that I have several Savant systems under my belt, I'm very happy with the performance and reliability we get out of those systems, but cost is significantly higher (like Joel's Crestron). Crestron is even an option with their newer entry-level line (on par with cost of RTI products) RTI rounds out the recommendations.

I'm pretty sure all those companies have the commands for your products; I know Savant and Crestron do, RTI probably, and iRule can quickly if they don't already.

my .02

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #5 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

bang for the buck and DIY friendly makes iRule a great option for you. Now that I have several Savant systems under my belt, I'm very happy with the performance and reliability we get out of those systems, but cost is significantly higher (like Joel's Crestron). Crestron is even an option with their newer entry-level line (on par with cost of RTI products) RTI rounds out the recommendations.
I'm pretty sure all those companies have the commands for your products; I know Savant and Crestron do, RTI probably, and iRule can quickly if they don't already.
my .02
Dan
Tell me what I need and I in. But, I have to be able to set it up myself.

My build thread

post #6 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

my .02
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Tell me what I need and I in. But, I have to be able to set it up myself.

Dave:

I agree with Dan in that RTI is i) less costly than Crestron and ii) bullet proof...in terms of RTI programming theoretically this is a "dealer only programming model" but practically this is not the case as I have the programming software and can tell you that it is extremely easy to program, very flexible and, in my view, highly recommended...worth also noting is that I practice what I preach in that the kids' entertainment room -- which i purposely did not want on the Crestron system -- is controlled by RTI which i) I programmed and I have never had any problems with it and ii) has the benefit of being able to do both IR and RF at the same time on a device by device basis.

Good luck whichever route you opt to go.

Joel

Joel
post #7 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Do rti make a hard button remote tat can control rs232 into my rs20i.

I can use irule etc, I just want to be able to use a hard button remote for things like volume, mute etc. quite often my iPad is in use in another app and to turn volume down can take upto ten seconds.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Guys,

I haven't had the opportunity to check for RS20i commands from RTI, so I cannot say. iRule utilizes Global Cache devices and I highly recommend contacting Itai for more information- it is after all HIS company. If there are IR commands available from Datasat, then you should be able to use anything you'd like.

For RTI:

choose your interface (ipad, remote, iphone)

choose the processor you need (XP3, XP8, etc)

any accessories (extra rs-232, etc.)

Then it operates much like any remote programming; assign commands to buttons, generate macros, etc.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #9 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post

Do rti make a hard button remote tat can control rs232 into my rs20i.
I can use irule etc, I just want to be able to use a hard button remote for things like volume, mute etc. quite often my iPad is in use in another app and to turn volume down can take upto ten seconds.

The answer is yes, simply go to their website and look at their hard button remote options [ www.rticorp.com ]...the RTI system -- with the use of a burner -- can learn any IR remote code while its software has the ability to enter any RS-232 code....

Joel
post #10 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thank guys, I am looking into this as we speak. smile.gif

My build thread

post #11 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Dave,

I use iRule to control my system and am very happy with it. I have an old Panasonic projector AE-1000u conceled in a sofit, a Theta CB III HD, an Oppo 83-SE and a Velodyne DD-12 all that I control via RS-232. I use Moxa Nport ethernet to RS-232 converters to interface these devices to my ethernet network. The Nports have anywhere from 1 to 16 RS-232 ports so they can be more cost effective then other solutions. I use a iTach IP2IR device and an IR blaster to control my devices that don't have IP or RS-232 ports and this also works very well.

I really like the ability to easily customize my remote that iRule provides. I've only used a Pronto system before this and I find that the iRule is quite similar to the Pronto so if you have Pronto experience you will find iRule a piece of cake. I haven't use the Crestron or RTI systems at home so I can't comment on them. I think that your choices are driven by what you want out of the remote system. Are you really only trying to control the three devices you listed in the initial post? If so and you want to do the programming/customization yourself, then the straightforward approach provided by iRule would seem best. If you want a professional turnkey system or your control requirements are less than simple then maybe the other solutions would be preferable.

Good Luck,

John
post #12 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Dave -- iRule is the way to go... As a matter of fact the finishing touches are just being put on my set up by one of their lead guys - Yeah, I know I could have done it all myself, but I just have way too many projects running right now to try and add another one to the list.

The good news for you is that our equipment (RS20i, Oppo) is pretty similar, so it should be a layup to get yours working

Mike
post #13 of 26 Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hey John,

I think I will go with the iRule for the time being. I am going to have a look at full house automation as I am getting together a high end HTPC with server and I should be able to get a lot of things done there as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlitzie View Post

Dave -- iRule is the way to go... As a matter of fact the finishing touches are just being put on my set up by one of their lead guys - Yeah, I know I could have done it all myself, but I just have way too many projects running right now to try and add another one to the list.
The good news for you is that our equipment (RS20i, Oppo) is pretty similar, so it should be a layup to get yours working
Mike

Thanks Mike, I would love to pick your brain when I pull the trigger.

My build thread

post #14 of 26 Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
regarding full house automation, the use of motion sensors for lights should be considered. I use insteon and have motion sensors in areas of house where the light is needed. I don't have motion controlled lights in bedrooms and bathrooms. Sometimes i just don't know how long i will be in the bathroom!!!smile.gif
post #15 of 26 Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Second, iRule. Very powerful and does anything Crestron or RTI does for a fraction of the price!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #16 of 26 Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks , I went with iRule. I am going to install IP connectable lighting system and run other appliances via a central PC where I can.

My build thread

post #17 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 214
There is a huge IRULE thread down on the remote forum. You will need interfaces for IR, RS232, and contact closures, and the popular products are the Global Cache stuff. IP controlled products can run right off your home network with nothing more than the IPAD.

www.globalcache.com

EDIT:
Be warned that the GC100 series can only have one host at a time. That means if you are using the IPAD, you can't use your IPOD to control the GC100 unless you log off the IPAD. The ITACH modules do not have this limitation.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #18 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM

+1 for Global Cache.
post #19 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
While on the subject, are there any global cache devices that support more than just 2 RS232 ports on a single device? I need more than two ports and would prefer not to have to use multiple devices (cost, complexity)
post #20 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

While on the subject, are there any global cache devices that support more than just 2 RS232 ports on a single device? I need more than two ports and would prefer not to have to use multiple devices (cost, complexity)

Look for a "Digiport server" on Ebay. These are said to go for $50 sometimes. They have 8 ports and there is info on the IRULE thread to integrate them.

Yes, It's too bad the GC100 product isn't more modular. it looks the it was intended to be as there are blank panels in the front. I guess their idea is to buy multiple ITACH products for as many ports and types as you need. The least they could do is offer some kind of rack mount for multiple ITACH modules with a common power supply to get rid of all the power bricks.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #21 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Look for a "Digiport server" on Ebay. These are said to go for $50 sometimes. They have 8 ports and there is info on the IRULE thread to integrate them.

Yes, It's too bad the GC100 product isn't more modular. it looks the it was intended to be as there are blank panels in the front. I guess their idea is to buy multiple ITACH products for as many ports and types as you need. The least they could do is offer some kind of rack mount for multiple ITACH modules with a common power supply to get rid of all the power bricks.

It absolutely baffles me why there is no Global Cache product with at least 4 RS232 ports. But thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to score a digiport server.
post #22 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

It absolutely baffles me why there is no Global Cache product with at least 4 RS232 ports. But thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to score a digiport server.

I think because Global Cache conceptualized them for use in single point applications where a device was remote from a central control processor and running new wire for IR or RS232 was out of the question.

I don't think they were conceptualized to replace a central control processor.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #23 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Second, iRule. Very powerful and does anything Crestron or RTI does for a fraction of the price!

True but has it's limitations. Personally I feel a better solution is something like RTI / ProControl where you have a hard button remote AND an iPad application. The new ProControl stuff rocks for simple systems.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #24 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

I think because Global Cache conceptualized them for use in single point applications where a device was remote from a central control processor and running new wire for IR or RS232 was out of the question.

I don't think they were conceptualized to replace a central control processor.

The why would they build a unit with I believe 8 IR ports and only 2 RS232, and why not a 4/6 or 6/4 unit?
post #25 of 26 Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The why would they build a unit with I believe 8 IR ports and only 2 RS232, and why not a 4/6 or 6/4 unit?

Sorry I was referring to the iTach stuff not their other line.

Why not use a URC or RTI solution? The MSC-400 has 6 RS232 ports. You need an RF remote with that. Or you could get the MRX-10 which has 4. The MRX is IP controllable via the URC iPad app or their remotes.

post #26 of 26 Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Baffles me as well. I have two GC100s and now I need an iTach IP2SL for my last serial device !

Cheers,
Peter M
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page