Meridian 861.8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I saw on Frank Berryman's forum that there is a new version of the 861? It also appears that Meridian has switched to linear power supplies for it's processor. Anyone know the cost of the new processor or cost for current owners to upgrade?

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

I saw on Frank Berryman's forum that there is a new version of the 861? It also appears that Meridian has switched to linear power supplies for it's processor. Anyone know the cost of the new processor or cost for current owners to upgrade?

If you have to ask re Meridian, then . . . . smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3 of 36 Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I was told $4,000 to upgrade from version 6 to version 8...

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #4 of 36 Old 01-26-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok. So the new platform is back to offering reasonably priced upgrades. Cool.

post #5 of 36 Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess that it is a matter of opinion in that I do not consider $4,000 reasonable given that most people with a 861 V6 paid +/- $15,000 for the V4 to V6 upgrade which means paying approximately $19,000 in 18 to 24 months for the V4 to V8 upgrade which does not seem reasonable to me...this is -- admittedly -- just my view...

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #6 of 36 Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 AM

I used the "Trade up to Reference" program a year ago to trade in my G68 for an 861v6. I really thought it wouldn't make much of a difference as I already had the DSP8000 speakers. I thought it would just "crown" the setup and provide for a nice integrated Sooloos ID40 streamercard. wink.gif

But the upgrade to 861v6 was like getting better poweramps apart from the obvious soundquality improvement.

Now with the 861v8 and new masterclock, 40% less jitter on input/output cards. 24/192 XMOS based USB input. Improved ID41 Sooloos card. Linear PSU. Newest version of the apodizing upsampling filter. I can't wait, I really think we're all in for a nice soundquality upgrade ride again!
post #7 of 36 Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One can also buy the LPSU plus a 5 year 'health check' program for the v6 for around $1,000. Not sure the v8 upgrade isn't $6K rather thn $4K?

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #8 of 36 Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik Rasmussen View Post

I used the "Trade up to Reference" program a year ago to trade in my G68 for an 861v6. I really thought it wouldn't make much of a difference as I already had the DSP8000 speakers. I thought it would just "crown" the setup and provide for a nice integrated Sooloos ID40 streamercard. wink.gif

But the upgrade to 861v6 was like getting better poweramps apart from the obvious soundquality improvement.

Now with the 861v8 and new masterclock, 40% less jitter on input/output cards. 24/192 XMOS based USB input. Improved ID41 Sooloos card. Linear PSU. Newest version of the apodizing upsampling filter. I can't wait, I really think we're all in for a nice soundquality upgrade ride again!
It's intriguing. Meridian looks to be back on the forefront. I'll have to find somewhere to demo the new 861v8.

post #9 of 36 Old 03-02-2013, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Are you kidding. That's highway robbery .
post #10 of 36 Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM
isb

It is also now possible to add the ID40 card to the 861v4 as well as add the LPS (which, with health check, gives a new 5 year warranty).
post #11 of 36 Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Is there somewhere I can see all of the differences between the different revisions of the 861? I am considering picking up a used one but want to see if there is a "sweet spot" with regards to features and improvements that would be important to me.

Or maybe someone who knows the important ones from memory could summarize here?

Thanks!!
post #12 of 36 Old 03-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Enormous upgrade from 861v4 to 861v6. The v4 was getting pretty dated towards the end, and with the v6 has been extensively reworked (new clocks, new grounding, new boards, etc.)

The v4 sounds nice, but the v6 is special. (I've zero experience with the v8.)
post #13 of 36 Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 AM
isb

@hifiaudio2 - Duncan's Meridian Info at http://www.meridian-audio.info/showman.php provides information on all Meridian models. With the 861 series, each version comes with a standard set of cards, with other cards optional. You'll want to make sure you understand which cards you need/want for your particular circumstances. I think most would recommend not going earlier than v4.

v1 through v4 were upgradable to the next model with new cards. When v6 came out, Meridian said that it wouldn't be possible to upgrade the v4 to v6 due to some internal architecture changes (there was some skepticism about this) and offered a trade in program instead. With the v6 to v8 upgrades, Meridian has made a subset of upgrades available to the v4 - the LPS and ability to fit ID40 Sooloos endpoint. It's not a v6 as, for instance, it still doesn't have the speakerlink card which apparently includes improved internal clocking responsible for part of the claimed v6 performance improvement.

Cheers, Ian
post #14 of 36 Old 03-20-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

Are you kidding. That's highway robbery .
The last upgrade was like 15k. It likely depends on volume as well to recover cost. It seems reasonable to me based on past experience with processor in the price range.

post #15 of 36 Old 03-21-2013, 02:14 PM

I bought my 861 as a V3 more than a decade ago . Upgraded it to V4 2 years later . Part-traded it for a V6 a few years later but managed to hold on to it for a 2nd system . Just added the health check and power supply and ID40 card and it is now under new warranty till 2018 .
I think this puts the value back into it and I don't agree that V4 is too hugely behind the curve when it comes to other processors . It has Meridian's latest version of their Apodising Filter and runs Version 8 Firmware too .

M

Long is the road and hard is the way...
post #16 of 36 Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Does a v4 have to go back to meridian for the new firmware, LPSU and health check to get the new warranty? I'd be interested in getting a v4, updating to room correction, and getting a new warranty. Hoping it can be done at a dealer local.

Since I have non-meridian speakers, and using it for home theater only, would I benefit
From a v6, or just stick with a v4 with room correction?

Stieger

We Make Home Theater A Reality
post #17 of 36 Old 03-28-2013, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

Since I have non-meridian speakers, and using it for home theater only, would I benefit
From a v6, or just stick with a v4 with room correction?
r

When I upgraded from the v4 to the v6 with non-Meridian speakers (Salk) the improvement was large and unambiguous
post #18 of 36 Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

What firmware are you running? I hear there is a new linear power supply that is alsi available, which, as part if a origram, provides a 5 year warranty! With a V4 + these nitabke updates, I may go that route ir v6.

Dies a v4 have MRC, or does that happen at 4.2?

Thx,

Stieger

post #19 of 36 Old 03-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What firmware are you running?

I don't know, as I replaced the 861v6 in favor of an ADA Reference with Trinnov processing.
post #20 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

I don't know, as I replaced the 861v6 in favor of an ADA Reference with Trinnov processing.
I assume you did so because of the advanced room correction? Guess it's time for Meridian to consider some new room correction as well. Linear power supplies always seem to bring improvements as well and they've done that.

post #21 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Does the v6 have the linear power supply, or v8 only? I am curious also if the HD621 does the audio switching too, or just video switching for hdmi. Really pondering the Meridian vs Theta, as their upgrade path seems a bit more obvious with Dirac, new processing card, etc., in the works. I have no clue if Meridian is planning new software upgrades, decoding of the hi-Rez audio codecs, etc., just seems like such a waste to have a player decode the audio, then pass to the Meridian. Correct meif I'm wrong, but I'd prefer to have Meridian products decode the audio...

post #22 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:

I have no clue if Meridian is planning new software upgrades, decoding of the hi-Rez audio codecs, etc., just seems like such a waste to have a player decode the audio, then pass to the Meridian. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd prefer to have Meridian products decode the audio...
Lossless audio is like me folding a document, so it takes up less space, and mailing it to your office.

Would it be "such a waste" if your secretary opened the envelope and handed you the document? Would the document be somehow better if you opened the envelope yourself?

The audio is lossless: doesn't matter if it is decoded in the player or in the pre-pro. Either way, nothing is lost, not a single bit.

Sanjay
post #23 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

I agree with you theoretically, but if there was nothing lost, then why buy hi-end processors - like the Theta with Extreme Dacs, if it would simply sound the same as my current Marantz, unpacking the details Of the codec? Wouldn't a hi-end processor pull out the finer details, etc, of the soundtrack and be true to what folks say when spending big bucks, " it has never sounded so good..."

If I'm wrong, cool. But if I'm spending "theta or Meridian" money on a processor, why would I want a $200'ish DVD player decoding the codec - really, I don't get it....?

Not arguing, just conversing...

Stieger

post #24 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I assume you did so because of the advanced room correction?

Yes, Trinnov's "spatial remapping", and, thier speaker and room correction, made a profound improvement in my system. (The room was designed by Dennis Erskine and Keith Yates, so it wasn't "wanting" in any traditional audiophile sense.)

Over the years I've used several brands of outboard parametric equalization devices, heavily modified DEQX units, a heavily modified Audyssey Balanced Pro unit, and Meridian's MRC in both an 861v4 and an 861v6. The results I get via Trinnov processing are in a different league.
post #25 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree with you theoretically, but if there was nothing lost, then why buy hi-end processors - like the Theta with Extreme Dacs, if it would simply sound the same as my current Marantz, unpacking the details Of the codec?
You're talking asthough things like DACs and analogue stage don't make a difference to the sound. People buy different processors for what they do differently (surround processing, D/A conversion, room correction, etc), not for what they do the same (format recognition and decoding, bass management, time alignment).

Sanjay
post #26 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

So they all "do/unpack" the same? I guess I just need to read more - I thought Meridian's legendary algorithms were part of how they processed or decoded the sound, but if I understand what you're saying, it isn't the unpacking, but the post processing that Meridian's algorithm is so well known... Appreciate any additional clarity you can provide.

post #27 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if the 861v6 has a linear power supply, or is that reserved for the v8?

Thx all!

post #28 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So they all "do/unpack" the same?
Sure, it's not like Dolby reserves a special secret version of TrueHD decoding that it only lets Meridian use but refuses to license it to any other manufacturer. Format detection and decoding is a commodity; you just license it or buy the chips.
Quote:

...if I understand what you're saying, it isn't the unpacking, but the post processing that Meridian's algorithm is so well known...
Exactly, and that's the sort of processing (e.g., TriField) that is exclusive to Meridian, which is why people continue to buy their gear. It's not like their DTS-MA decoding is "more identical" to the original than any other manufacturer's decoding.

Sanjay
post #29 of 36 Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome, thank you!

post #30 of 36 Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the 861v6 has a linear power supply, or is that reserved for the v8?

Thx all!

The V6 did not have a linear power supply but it is available either individually or as part of the V6 to V8 upgrade.

I started with a V4 about 8 years ago and have progressively moved to a V6 and now a V8. The upgrade from a V4 to a V6 was significant and the next upgrade to V8 was also, but not quite as big a jump.

I did the V6 to V8 upgrade in 2 stages. The first stage was to add the the linear power supply. I only did a brief listen before the full upgrade but I estimate that the improvement due to the power supply was about 80% of the full upgrade.

One of the most significant upgrades I have ever done (and the cheapest! ) was changing the filter to a Revelation one filter.

Full details of the filter are here:

http://mrapodizer.wordpress.com/order-filter/
http://mrapodizer.wordpress.com/order-filter/

Other than as a satisfied customer, I have no commercial interest in the Revelation filter
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page