Need projector capable of lighting up huge screen with great picture. - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 374 Old 09-14-2013, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Yea,I think ,as Dan has said ,with the aperture plate and the internal adjustable aperture set so small I'm giving up a lot of light to get better low end. With the thing wide open I seriously doubt you will want for light even on a screen a few feet larger than mine. As you know my screen is 14' wide and we are getting 25 fL. Boy I really wish you could just come and look at the thing and this all would be solved pretty quickly I think.

Art

Hahaha, I'm sure it would. I have pretty much decided, sight unseen, that the HD5 is what I "need". I have come to terms with the fact that it costs more than many of the nice 3d units and 4k units, but they just can't match it's 2d performance or light output. If you have 25ftl on the 14ft st130, I'd imagine based on square footage differences, that I'd get 20 or there about with similar settings. This way I don't have to give up much in the other aspects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 374 Old 09-15-2013, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Yea,I think ,as Dan has said ,with the aperture plate and the internal adjustable aperture set so small I'm giving up a lot of light to get better low end. With the thing wide open I seriously doubt you will want for light even on a screen a few feet larger than mine. As you know my screen is 14' wide and we are getting 25 fL. Boy I really wish you could just come and look at the thing and this all would be solved pretty quickly I think.

Art

Art

have you checked this movie out with your new projector.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9476/spy_came_cold.html

Blacks to die for ............

Jim
post #363 of 374 Old 09-15-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm007 View Post

Art

have you checked this movie out with your new projector.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9476/spy_came_cold.html

Blacks to die for ............

Jim

I have the DVD but I'd missed that it had come out on Blu Ray,thanks for the heads up !cool.gif

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #364 of 374 Old 09-15-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know we seem to be going over and over this, but you say A lens instead of vscope Dan, due to possible pixel structure. Is the screen size I am talking about in the realm of what would show real night and day difference with 4k material?? I know it technically isn't out yet, outside of Sony's server, but I keep worrying. Worrying, basically that I will get the HD5, even after viewing it on your screen at the shop, and once it's on an even bigger one, the image is less than stellar. It must seem ridiculous to some that I expect so much from $30k, but it's a lot for me.
post #365 of 374 Old 09-15-2013, 05:35 PM

i think so,I had to start with 12' high walls to get everything in the way I wanted. thanks 8M
post #366 of 374 Old 09-15-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My reason for espousing the anamorphic lens now vs zooming is that when I was at Art's place, I could see the difference the lens made vs. our zoom (remember, his screen is constant height like you want to go). I think that's the main discerning factor: we use the 2.0 aspect ratio recommended by Tony Grimani at PMI- it's essentially constant image area, so even though I use fewer pixels when we're in 2.35, I'm illuminating the same screen area.

When we use the 2.35 screen, the area for cinemascope is significantly larger than that used for HD- this requires us to utilize all the pixels for projected image in order to help make up for the difference. I walked right up to Art's screen at his house, and only then could I make out the pixel structure in the test pattern (Christie grid pattern).

I want you to use a lens because I want the brightest image I can get on your screen, I want 25-30 off the screen if I can get it. We can always throttle the light output back down, but max is max. More is better. This is why this projector is such a value- 5k real lumens with damn accurate grayscale out of the box and great color from the xenon lamp.

I just need to make sure that the 5k lumens is being maximized as much as possible.

We go after plasma-style performance from a projected image, and on our screen we get it- Art's basically there as well, though his image looks more like a cinema with the screen shape and lens.

I'll contact Seymour to get a sample of the 4k material to check out against ours, they just shipped my first customer screen on Fri. so I would imagine that they are willing to send me samples.

Perhaps most importantly, Display Development is not your average manufacturer: these are made-to-order. They have to OK the application before they build it, I'll cover the proposed installation with them prior to any PO being issued. There's a survey sheet that needs to be completed that contains info like floor, wall, and ceiling color, distance from the screen to each boundary, throw distance, screen gain, screen manufacturer, A-lens model and manufacturer, etc.

These people do not fool around with this.

I'm glad to see that you're taking this so seriously, and I'd never think you're being ridiculous- people who buy $10k projectors fret just as much or more about their decisions.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #367 of 374 Old 09-16-2013, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Dan,

Any possibility that Display Development will incorporate 3D into their HD-5/HD-6 projectors? If they did, would the HD-6 be quiet enough for in room installation. Heat is not the top concern as there would be no other heat producing equipment inside and I should be able to control temp in the room since it has its own A/C. Just curious.

Thanks, Kim
post #368 of 374 Old 09-16-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The HD5/HD6 fans are 60db at 1m-2m, so that's your effective volume. Loud enough that we use a double pane projection port.

3D is available on a bespoke chassis, the HD5/HD6 can only do 30 frame/eye/sec so there's too much flicker. Cost for a native 3D projector using a similar chassis with HDMI inputs is going to be in the 70k range for a HD5 equivalent.

Part of the reason these projectors don't cost 60-80k is because of the chassis limitations.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #369 of 374 Old 09-16-2013, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Dan,

Thank you for the reply.

Kim
post #370 of 374 Old 09-17-2013, 05:33 PM

me too, I had to start with 12' high walls to get everything in the way I wanted. YMMV.thank you 23.gif
post #371 of 374 Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM

oK projectors for that screen size are multiples the stated budge ; something must give.agkiBt
post #372 of 374 Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The HD5 is a powerful machine, and I am trying to work magic- we shall see once I've been able to discuss with the various manufacturers involved....

That's the lovely part about CEDIA, we're all in one place for a week so it's relatively easy to collaborate on a project briefly.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
post #373 of 374 Old 09-18-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Demand are high for sure, considering the screen I would like to light up. The HD5 may well fit the bill and Dan has been the best tracking things down and helping me make some decisions. My only concern at this point is that the cost of the alens will push me over the edge vs using the variscope and zoom. Dan is working hard on that part to though, so we will see how it goes. If it doesn't make the number, I will have to shrink the screen a bit....but I really don't want to biggrin.gif
post #374 of 374 Old 12-03-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well guys, update I guess. I came to the realization that I wasn't ok with the amount of cash on the HD5 and no upgrade path available as things with 4k and 3d progress. I started out with a tall order and had to check myself a bit. I ended up making a compromise on screen size and deciding that 180" wide 237 would be great and I didn't need the 200"+. I was able to find a great Dvision 30XC and have it in my house...just arrived, haven't even fired it up yet. Based on my calculations of no gain, area of the screen and the PJ output (2900 claimed and I used 1900 for a calibrated figure), I should get about 20ftl on the screen. In a completely controlled room and with coloring in the room designed to be video friendly, I think 20 will be good. I know it's not quite as high end, and the ftl aren't quite up to snuff with a lot of the great setups you guys have in the UHE section, but I am hoping it will serve me well until we see what happens with 4k and such, and prices make a higher output 4k unit "affordable".
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page