Need projector capable of lighting up huge screen with great picture. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 374 Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Those are particularly yummy! Thanks for the efforts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 374 Old 03-30-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Nice shots! Thanks guys.

Pardon my ignorance, but the first chopper image vs the last..what's the difference?? The first one looks dull in comparison. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 374 Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think the first may have been converted RAW vs large jpeg for the second- there may have been some loss due to that conversion.

The small format of the forum doesn't do justice to the detail in the images: I was trying to choose shots that still had lots of detail when the pause button was pushed.

Some explanation of the images:

shot 1: Art of Flight- chosen because of the detail in both the helicopter and the airplane. Look for things like rivets, seams in the aluminum, detail in the skids, Travis Rice's jacket, etc.

shot 2: Art of Flight- chosen for color; not just the obvious helicopter, snowboard, and jackets- but also the mountain in the background on the right side of the image, the sky, and the details in the reflections of their goggles.

shot 3: Art of Flight- chosen to show the detial inside the helicopter cockpit- you can make out tons of detail through that canopy, but by being a wider angle in our shot- you can't see it as well.

shot 4: Avatar- look for the details in her hair, face, that thing on her face, and the gradients of the color in her skin. This shot is in fact less saturated on the screen as well because of the angle of the sun(s).

shot 5: Act of Valor- this is at the end of the "hot extraction" scene, it was chosen to show the low level details in his face, hair, and uniform.

shot 6: Transformers - dark of the moon- again, low level detail; but in this case the pause function wasn't as effective since the entire frame is in motion (most of the movie is that way- thanks Michael Bay). This scene is the release of the columns to erect the bridge.

shot 7 :same film as above, same scene, a few seconds later. chosen to show fine details in these two

shot 8: Shockwave brings down the building. high APL, again detail throughout the frame; foreground, background.

shot 9: "Mexican standoff" from the scene "decepticons in the convoy" ANSI contrast; look for the low level detail inside the shot of Ironhide- this has a pretty high APL even though he is rather dark.

shot 10: Art of flight once again- this image look for the detail in the colors- reflections, shades, etc. The blue of the helicopter is actually a fine metallic blue (familiar color for anyone that watches F1- RBR cars are this color).

If you think these look good through the filters of the internet, your computer/tablet/phone, then you should see them in real life. I was happy with the image before the calibration, though colors were oversaturated a bit and the image was almost painfully bright. Post color-cube calibration using our Radiance is pretty outstanding; considering the previous projectors we've had in this room (Sony Qualia, Titan Reference, and now the HD5), this is by far the most full-package image we've had: light output, color accuracy, detail, resolution.

very happy

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH

post #184 of 374 Old 03-30-2013, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great pictures and obviously a great pj. Price?
/Christian
post #185 of 374 Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

HD5: 33k including lens and VP100 scaler. (5000 lumens)
add 2k for VP200 and 4k for VP300 scaler (these do variscope and 3D respectively)

HD6: 25k including lens and VP100 scaler (this is the unit with only 2000 lumens)
add 2k for VP200 and 4.2k for VP300 (these are the same as above)

Also highly recommended is the option to have Pat Bradley from Display Development come do the calibration for your projector this cost is 2500 plus travel.

Once Pat can get to Chicago, what we will have for demo is the HD5 with VP300 scaler calibrated by Pat Bradley.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

post #186 of 374 Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Lens memory? I'm traveling (cant tell from iphone) but are the screen shots 2.35 - ISCO Iin front? Focus memory? My ISCO picture is a bit softer than when it is to the side of the pj. The focus is not ideal for both ISCO in and ISCO out. Can focus be part of lens memory? Never had it. Don't know what can be done.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #187 of 374 Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll elaborate later, but yes, there's lens memories and we zoom/focus for multiple aspect ratios. We use a 2.0:1 screen for more even image area- this helps equal the image brightness between 1.78,1.85,and scope frames. That way we don't have a bias based on brightness.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

post #188 of 374 Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The HD5 actually shows numerical values for zoom and focus and has very accurate motors on the lens, this makes utilizing the ILS a viable option for multiple aspect ratios. If one were to choose to do so, you could also use an Isco and still be able to have a focused image because there would be a memory for that setting (lens in vs lens out). I'm still trying to learn the lens system, so the pictures are such that I had the image set to 1.78 for that material, then zoomed and refocused for the 2.35 material- they are set apparently in the projector, but I still can't figure out how to recall them. That's part of the reason why we are going to get DD into our room to give the install a once-over.

There are so many features to this chassis that I'm not even touching; brightness and white field uniformity adjustments, built-in edge blending controls, etc.

A large part of the decision to calibrate inside the scaler was that Pat could easily undo anything that I may have done differently than DD prefers to maximize the performance of their projectors.

I'm also currently working to get this thing integrated with the savant system...

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

post #189 of 374 Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I had a productive conversation with Jim Burns this evening- he walked me though the process for the ILS system on our HD5. It turns out that, as usual, there was a tiny step that I didn't know about and that was throwing me all off. We now have working memories for 1.78 and 2.35 aspects, I didn't have time to do 1.85.

I asked Jim where the 10k:1 number comes from for contrast, his answer was as follows (I'm paraphrasing):

There are 3 different iris sizes available for the HD5; typically a demo unit gets the largest (like ours has) or a home with a large screen, then the typical home theater gets size 2 for slightly smaller screens with a touch more punch, and finally there's size 3 that is the smallest and throws away the most light. If you couple size 3 with the lamp turned as low as it can go, you can hit 10k:1. So, needless to say, our unit will never hit 10k:1 our screen is just too big, and I like it too bright. Honestly, my opinion would be to spec it at 3k-5k:1 and maintain the punch, because what's the point in buying a projector like this and not truly utilizing the performance.

We're still working on the scheduling for Pat or Jim to come out and do their calibration on the projector, for now what I've achieved using my equipment is very satisfying.

We can start making arrangements with those that would like to come see it- I should have it ready for showings by next week.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

post #190 of 374 Old 04-02-2013, 06:55 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Dan

Thank you for querying Dan on my behalf, his response makes great sense. I can recommend an additional calibrator for you that has great experience with all the Christie projectors. His name is David Abrams and I highly recommend him.

Thanks again
post #191 of 374 Old 04-02-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks,

I'm aware of David; his reputation precedes him.

Our deal with Display Development is such that we have it coming to us from either Jim or Pat (essentially it's already paid for).

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

post #192 of 374 Old 04-13-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
DD is building a DF-4K for us based on the Christie CP4220 (if I recall correctly). Looking forward to seeing the beast!

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #193 of 374 Old 04-13-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Digital film series, not a reference?

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

post #194 of 374 Old 04-14-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
That is correct ... rear projection to a 144" wide Starglas screen.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #195 of 374 Old 04-14-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

Digital film series, not a reference?

Dan

Assuming Dennis is talking about my projector, yes, film series, not reference. (And yes, Im past due on getting my build thread started). Budget was a constraint. Reference almost doubles the price, and Jim indicated that, given my relatively small screen and lack of need for alternate color spaces, the DF will provide nearly identical image quality.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #196 of 374 Old 04-18-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Update:

Pat is scheduled to come in to calibrate/verify install for our HD5 on Tuesday. We'll be 100% shortly thereafter: installing a new double-pane projection window that accommodates the different projector better than the first one- and has the proper angles to the panes. I'm excited to see Pat work through the projector to learn, and to see just how accurate the C6/Calman 5.0 combo is. Also curious to see the differences in the calibrations.

I can't wait to start showing this thing off!

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

post #197 of 374 Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

That is correct ... rear projection to a 144" wide Starglas screen.

What are the goals for this as far as brightness and contrast? And roughly how deep will the back space need to be according to the way its going to be set up? This type of set up is my dream theater!
post #198 of 374 Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

So we had Pat Bradley come in today to do the calibration once-over on the HD5; I thought it was good before- there has definitely been an improvement. I'll relay what I gleaned, since I was not present for most of the calibration.

post-calibration peak white: 40ftL (lamp is set to lowest output- now running constant-intensity)
grayscale was actually pretty close "out of the box"
color gamut needed to be tweaked - handled with aplomb via PR-670
verified settings for our source equipment
setup all of our aspect ratio presets 60P and 24P where applicable

The material I saw post-calibration was a few scenes from the Blu-Ray of "the International" - according to Pat, a very good transfer. According to me- more proof that the HD5 was the correct direction for us to take. The image is sublime- it really does show the full detail of film and HD video sourced material. I can't wait to see cuts from the Art of Flight.

For those considering screens from 120"-16' the HD5 is a supremely capable projector for relatively little money considering what you get. At this point, I honestly don't know if I'll ever go back to a UHP lamp projector...I can't see why I'd want to. Sure blacks may be blacker on a small UHP source- but that unit couldn't do 40ftL on a 12' Microperfed screen. Colors are exceptionally accurate now.

I guess the best way to put it is that I want one for myself, every time I see it, I want it more...

So over the course of the rest of the week we'll be installing our new dual-pane projection port, new screen skin, and working with savant to get the aspect ratios preset to respective sources.

For those that are interested in viewing the HD5, contact myself or jbm007 to make arrangements.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

post #199 of 374 Old 04-24-2013, 04:46 PM

Liked: 13
Dan,

Thanks for continuing to share your journey. Its exciting to finally be hearing about new high end projectors, particularly one that seems this capable.

Please continue!!

Kevin
post #200 of 374 Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What ever happened to the bright screen interest?

We got this projector tuned "balls to the walls" and we are looking to make grown men cry.

Bring your sunglasses and come on by...................n doesn't cost a dime . yet.

Jbm
post #201 of 374 Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Oh there is interest ! I'm at a conference in Philly until next week but I'd like to see what the projector can do. Does the HD5 have a setting for fixed iris positions rather than just on or off for the dynamic black ?

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #202 of 374 Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Oh there is interest ! I'm at a conference in Philly until next week but I'd like to see what the projector can do. Does the HD5 have a setting for fixed iris positions rather than just on or off for the dynamic black ?

Art

+1, I'm still in too...GTG in PA last week, pregnant wife in CT and traveling for business hasn't been good to my schedule lately. It doesn't help that my house still isn't ready either mad.gif

post #203 of 374 Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Art

Art:

I don't believe there is dynamic black setting or settings for fixed iris positions, there are 3 different fixed iris size's available for installation and appear to be fixed at that position.....
post #204 of 374 Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

No, there is not a dynamic black function in the projector. It's rather simple, actually; xenon lamp, 3 .95" chips, great lens, fixed iris, and some software. The fixed iris is determined by screen size and desired light output/contrast. The bigger the screen, the bigger the iris. I've stated before that the unit we have has the largest of the 3 irises- this allows for the greatest light output, but there's a tradeoff in contrast (not intra-scene). Our screen is 12' wide and Studiotek 130 G3 peaks at 40 ftL- plenty bright for me. So those that are willing to have lower output, or a smaller screen for greater contrast are able to use the smaller irises and higher lamp settings (within reason).

I've also stated before that I'm very impressed by this projector, and considering that the unit was ordered sight-unseen- that's pretty high praise.

Art, if one wanted to, they could utilize the dynamic black feature in the Lumagen- though I used this feature on the Titan, I don't use it on the HD5.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

post #205 of 374 Old 05-03-2013, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Adaptive contrast, not dynamic black. Sorry it was a long day yesterday.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

post #206 of 374 Old 05-03-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the responses. I'd like to get a weekend to see it soon. The issue with my position is trading parameters. What is the fixed iris sequential contrast on that unit ?

Art

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #207 of 374 Old 05-03-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the responses. I'd like to get a weekend to see it soon. The issue with my position is trading parameters. What is the fixed iris sequential contrast on that unit ?

Art

If you figure out some good weekends, let me know. I may fly or drive down as well.

post #208 of 374 Old 05-05-2013, 07:58 AM

yeah,i think so,Smaller 3 chip DLP 2K units may be available in your budget 4.gif
post #209 of 374 Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

If you figure out some good weekends, let me know. I may fly or drive down as well.

Sounds great it's been way too long.

Art

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #210 of 374 Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

So unless we're looking to get divorced, I'd imagine that this weekend is out for everyone. How does it look for the weekend following for you guys? I've spent the past couple hours tweaking the savant program for the correct aspect ratio buttons for each input (24P and 60P, kaleidescape, blu ray, tivo).

Chime in or shoot me a PM and perhaps we can arrange a small GTG for viewing this guy- that goes for anyone that would like to see it. Why not make it fun, right?

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page