Best Surround Processor Currently Available? - Page 25 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Best Multi-Channel processor currently on the market?
Classe SSP800 26 9.92%
Bryton SP3 25 9.54%
ADA Mach IV 4 1.53%
ADA Mach IV+Trinnov 28 10.69%
Datasat RS20i 51 19.47%
Theta CB3 HDMI + Extreme Dacs 34 12.98%
Krell Evolution 707 15 5.73%
Mcintosh MX151 26 9.92%
JBL Synthesis with SDEC 4500 18 6.87%
Other (comment on your answer) 37 14.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #721 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Well this is the point - the vendor is stating you now cannot set 5.1 to 5.1 - expansion to 7.1 is not detestable, which makes no sense

I like 7.1 for. 7.1 mixes, and some 5.1 up mixes well, but not all

I'm trying to find out if their claim the this is a new DTS requirement is true

Thanks

He's mistaken. We typically know more here than there. But I can't imagine wanting 5.1. When I employ such, my rear image collapses compared to 7.1.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Well, the day has come.
This hasn't been a good year for "deadlines".
Quote:

I can't think of a reason to run 5.1 if you have 7.1 in your room.
Me neither, but users should always have the option to turn off upmixing.

Sanjay
post #723 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Bland, I'll let you know if mine isn't delivered on schedule. I can't collect it until the 23rd and set the delivery accordingly. So I've not focused on whether they are shipping this week or not. The last I heard, two weeks ago, they were still on track to ship/perform upgrades in December as scheduled however. And, yes, your bet was a little light - I'm from New Zealand and I can think of many much better pinot noirs than the one you offered!

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #724 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The way the DTS decoder handles this isn't upmixing, though: it's an accurate representation of what a 5.1 mix played back on a 7.1 system *should* sound like.

Imaging a re-recording stage that has been set up for 7.1. Now suppose that a client comes in and asks for a 5.1 home theater remix of a motion picture - maybe because the budget is tight, and they don't want to spend the money on the additional stage time to do a 7.1 mix (or perhaps because the theatrical mix was only in 5.1, and they want to keep it in that format). Do the mixers turn off the Left Back Surround and Right Back Surround speakers to do the 5.1 mix? No - they gang the Left Back with the Left Surround and the Right Back with the Right Surround, and drop the level 3dB in each of those speakers.

Or if it's helpful, picture a cinema that has been set up for 5.1 only: there are (multiple) speakers on the left wall, as well as speakers on the back wall - the left half of which are ganged with the speakers on the left wall: that entire speaker array is playing back the Left Surround channel. Likewise for the Right Surround. Changing a movie theater from 5.1 playback to 7.1 playback doesn't add additional speakers, it just makes the Left Surround Back and Right Surround Back independent channels.

In a movie theater environment, if a 5.1 movie is played back in a theater that has been set up for 7.1 playback, the Left Surround channel is fed to the Left Surround and Left Back Surround speakers: ditto for the Right Surround. I would argue that this same paradigm is what should be done in home theater as well.
post #725 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

Bland, I'll let you know if mine isn't delivered on schedule. I can't collect it until the 23rd and set the delivery accordingly. So I've not focused on whether they are shipping this week or not. The last I heard, two weeks ago, they were still on track to ship in December as scheduled however. And, yes, your bet was a little light - I'm from New Zealand and I can think of many much better pinot noirs than the one you offered!

Ok... then send what you have. Bit I tell you, the Pinots in our neck of the woods are more meaty and full bodied then the typically thin Burgundy.

The bet was to have it in 2 months... In fact, no one has it. And as far as I'm concerned, it is still vaporware.smile.gif

I gotta tell you, Ken Wright is a knock out Pinot. What are you thinking of in Pinots?

Check this out (under the heading, "Recommended for Cellaring") for the '06 Pinot. It is a bottle to remember and I was a bit nervous putting it out there as I only have a few left.
http://winevoice.blogspot.com/2007/09/expensive-pinot-noir-recommendations.html

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #726 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post

The way the DTS decoder handles this isn't upmixing, though: it's an accurate representation of what a 5.1 mix played back on a 7.1 system *should* sound like.
Is it defeatable?

BTW, my old Lex pre-pros have always worked this way since the mid 1990s: if you choose NOT to upmix a 5.1 signal using surround processing, then each surround channel is reduced 3dB and sent to its respective side and rear speakers.

Sanjay
post #727 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 252
RE: 5.1 to 7.1 on BluRay' s

I have a 4x4 AES mixer in my side and back surrounds. I have it set via I-Rule up so I can:

1) 7.1 pass through. (will also pass through 5.1 leaving the backs off or dead)

2) Move the sides to the back on a 5.1 disc. The sides are the default surround on 5.1 mixes.

3) Combine the sides and rears. That is SL + BL and SR + BR.

4) Combine as in #3 but drop the combined surround mix 6db.

As this is a 4x4 matrix mixer with gain adjustable at each cross point, it is highly flexible if I ever need to do more.

With the new MC16 rolleyes.gif coming on line soon I will now also have dedicated EQ and time alignment delay on each surround speaker. The MC16 DSP cores can also do this mixing but it requires a preset to be built and switching between presets is very disruptive listening wise. The dedicated mixer card I use is a real time device and fully V-faded so not to make any clicks or pops.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #728 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bland, I'll let you know if mine isn't delivered on schedule. I can't collect it until the 23rd and set the delivery accordingly. So I've not focused on whether they are shipping this week or not. The last I heard, two weeks ago, they were still on track to ship/perform upgrades in December as scheduled however. And, yes, your bet was a little light - I'm from New Zealand and I can think of many much better pinot noirs than the one you offered!

Steve,

Feel free to ship a bottle of better superiority if you'd like. I haven't had a better Pinot than Ken Wright at any price. What bottle(s) are you thinking of that would eclipse it? I'm curious to taste a bottle you prefer. I'll crack it open to celebrate when I get my new speakers and Trinnov installed and give a honest appraisal. If it's really good, I'll ship you out a Ken Wright to you to compare.

But back to Theta. They are not shipping yet. And the bet was that someone, anyone would have it in hand by the specified 60 day announcement from CEDIA.

That said, I hope you get your piece by Christmas as you've scheduled. But Craig announced 60 days from CEDIA which is two weeks late already. Theta clearly does not have one ready and are not shipping. Otherwise Steve B or Big Brother would have one already and the Theta thread would be on fire. Recall, Big Brother has it on his sig that he's the first owner... and he's all crickets now. In fact, no one has one, there is no chatter and it is not ready. They missed the mark (again).

Theta has missed every deadline since their inception.

post #729 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The bet was to have it in 2 months... In fact, no one has it. And as far as I'm concerned, it is still vaporware.smile.gif

I'm not gonna get into a pi**ing match with you over this tired old BS but really, come off it already, vaporware?

There's a picture available of a create full of the first cards, which I know means nothing to you, but for customers actually waiting for those cards it's a bit more reassuring then it was like back prior to 2010 and we had nothing but talk from "old" Theta for close to 5 years and ATI had the task of rebuilding the entire company.

The fact that working models have been seen and heard and not just displayed sitting static like in days of yore has to account for something.
Especially since they did announce a scheduled release date.
So if their announced release date is more then a couple of days or a week or two off of the mark I might be a little surprised but I certainly wouldn't be able to still call that vaporware.

Just face up to it, it's not the same old company using the same weak old tactics anymore.

The CB-IV is right around the corner for certain and a few days one way or the other makes no difference to anyone but you.

TURN IT UP!
post #730 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, then, what exactly is the status?

Anyone from Theta care to share? confused.gif

I asked a similar question over at the "OFFICIAL FORUM"

Now the fun begins...thebland is here! tongue.gif

post #731 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

I'm not gonna get into a pi**ing match with you over this tired old BS but really, come off it already, vaporware?

There's a picture available of a create full of the first cards, which I know means nothing to you, but for customers actually waiting for those cards it's a bit more reassuring then it was like back prior to 2010 and we had nothing but talk from "old" Theta for close to 5 years and ATI had the task of rebuilding the entire company.

The fact that working models have been seen and heard and not just displayed sitting static like in days of yore has to account for something.
Especially since they did announce a scheduled release date.
So if their announced release date is more then a couple of days or a week or two off of the mark I might be a little surprised but I certainly wouldn't be able to still call that vaporware.

Just face up to it, it's not the same old company using the same weak old tactics anymore.

The CB-IV is right around the corner for certain and a few days one way or the other makes no difference to anyone but you.

I know... there are working models, etc.. I was at CEDIA in 2008 when they had Valis on display. And again, it turned out to be vaporware despite its organic cloak. That said, I'm sure the CB-IV is real. Just a joke... but the 60 day delivery date was too much to handle considering their track record.

The news from Theta and the basis for the bet was 60 days from CEDIA. That was 2 weeks ago. Steve is an honorable guy and I'm sure he'll honor the bet.

Had the bet gone the other way, I know I'd never had hear the end of it (and be out a nice Pinot)!biggrin.gif

I'm surprised at your ire considering Theta's history of delivering goods on time (I mean, HDMI was only 1/2 a decade late, Casanova's early death, etc). Vaporware or not, why get so offended?? I find it all humorous as it'll get here when it gets here and anger won't help it.. so why not laugh? This is more levity than anything serious. I'm not much of a betting person but when you have Theta and a nice bottle of wine, well... you get it.

Have a glass of wine... err considering your forceful response, you likely don't drink.

post #732 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I know... there are working models, etc.. I was at CEDIA in 2008 when they had Valis on display. And again, it turned out to be vaporware despite its organic cloak. That said, I'm sure the CB-IV is real. Just a joke... but the 60 day delivery date was too much to handle considering their track record.

The news from Theta and the basis for the bet was 60 days from CEDIA. That was 2 weeks ago. Steve is an honorable guy and I'm sure he'll honor the bet.

Had the bet gone the other way, I know I'd never had hear the end of it (and be out a nice Pinot)!biggrin.gif

I'm surprised at your ire considering Theta's history of delivering goods on time (I mean, HDMI was only 1/2 a decade late, Casanova's early death, etc). Vaporware or not, why get so offended?? I find it all humorous as it'll get here when it gets here and anger won't help it.. so why not laugh? This is more levity than anything serious. I'm not much of a betting person but when you have Theta and a nice bottle of wine, well... you get it.

Have a glass of wine... err considering your forceful response, you likely don't drink.

"I KNOW", you THINK it's all in good fun when you put Theta down and point out every tiny flaw or misspoken word that's said.
What aggravates me are not the things you say that "I KNOW" are not true or are misleading, but with this influence that you don't even realize that you have over newer AVS'ers and in the case of Theta, the many, many people who are brand new to the brand via the used market and you have to be scaring the cr*p out of g-d knows how many of those people half of the time. And most of those people may never post a word to the $20,000 forum, it's incredibly intimidating to post here for most folks.

I think what you still fail to realize is that this IS NOT OUR PERSONAL PLAYGROUND just because we happen to post more then many others about particular subjects and their just here to read this forum for what they expect is the most accurate and useful information around about these particular subjects and there you are with your thousands upon thousands of posts which alone intimidates even further.

Unfortunatly, people who don't know any better hang on your every word!

And yeah, due to certain medications I'm required to take (and no it's not for my mental state) in order to keep myself alive and tolerate a certain level of pain, the use of alcohol is probably not a great idea for me.
But I suppose some of my particular meds sometimes have the same effect as a glass of wine, so you won't hear me complain about missing a drink. So enjoy your wine while you post but perhaps sometimes people shouldn't post while too deeply under the influence. There used to be a huge thread about that. It seems to happen much more then anyone might believe rolleyes.gif

TURN IT UP!
post #733 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
BB52 you cannot dig yourself out of this hole rolleyes.gif There was a bet- it has not panned out; Craig/Steve have to eat humble pie and admit it :)and move on wink.gif

That still does not mean Theta CB is not a great pre-pro. Folks should be glad that they are still offering HDMI updates/upgrades for existing models.
post #734 of 851 Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Steve,

Feel free to ship a bottle of better superiority if you'd like. I haven't had a better Pinot than Ken Wright at any price. What bottle(s) are you thinking of that would eclipse it? I'm curious to taste a bottle you prefer. I'll crack it open to celebrate when I get my new speakers and Trinnov installed and give a honest appraisal. If it's really good, I'll ship you out a Ken Wright to you to compare.

But back to Theta. They are not shipping yet. And the bet was that someone, anyone would have it in hand by the specified 60 day announcement from CEDIA.

That said, I hope you get your piece by Christmas as you've scheduled. But Craig announced 60 days from CEDIA which is two weeks late already. Theta clearly does not have one ready and are not shipping. Otherwise Steve B or Big Brother would have one already and the Theta thread would be on fire. Recall, Big Brother has it on his sig that he's the first owner... and he's all crickets now. In fact, no one has one, there is no chatter and it is not ready. They missed the mark (again).

Theta has missed every deadline since their inception.

Jeff (BLAND)

You still up to no good ? My god after all these years you still bash us smile.gif Ahh its all good my friend, I still love you smile.gif

You thought we would never have HDMI 1.4 and we did it with 3D support January 2011. Now 3 Years later we are adding an all new Processing Engine with Dirac Room correction with Filters that can be added to any of the 12 inputs. What does this mean ? Well it means all the amazing programability of the Casablanca 3HD gets even better as now we can apply the Dirac filters to any of the 12 complete input environments. This is again a feature that no one else in the industry has. Imagine having a input for 2 channel full range and another input for 2 Channel with Subs and another input for DVD/Bluray with subs and maybe another input for DVD/Bluray with the subs dialed back a few DB for late night listening. All with a single button push. Voila - Casablanca !!!

On top of all this we have even more coming in 2014 for upgrades and guess what? Out of the list of Pre pros, how many are upgradable and have a 18+ year track record ? None that I know of.

I love Bryston and Anthem and Classe , they are all nice but none are like the Casablanca 3/4 and they will never be. Granted the CB3/4 will list for almost 30K with the killer dac cards.

Deadline ? Your joking right ? Deadline ? What is this a live date for a new Data Center or the opening of a new department store ? Dude, its a processor upgrade which by the way since Cedia and before we thought end of December or first few weeks of January and guess what ? We will most likely launch December 16th..

Deadline ? Would you rather have a Levinson 40 or a Lexicon MC12 or Maybe one of Krells Units that all have been expired and will never have HDMI 1.4 and 3D ? Haaa Not a chance.. They all have to go in the garbage and the Casablanca Lives on..

I would rather have an Upgrade to my machine a little late then own a Machine I have to throw away every 3 years. Wouldn't you ?

Jump on board my friend and enjoy what you know you will love smile.gif

Craig
Theatermax LLC
post #735 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Bland, I don't believe I took your bet. Had you upped it I might have been tempted.

In any event, (A) I believe Theta had said at the time of my post (not earlier) that they would begin the upgrades in two months' time (I used the term 60 days). If one is prepared to ship their CB to Theta, they will begin upgrading them end next week/the following week - I was told yesterday that they would be doing factory upgrades "in the last two week's of December". That's not bad and I'd say is well within tolerances of saying two months' time in early October. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't make sense for me to ship my CB to Theta for the upgrade but rather to wait for an upgrade kit that I can do myself. It sounds like that will be January. It's not like I will be using it over Christmas and New Year anyway as I will be in Florida. I've been just as critical of Theta's marketing department for frothing product launches and creating expectations that aren't met on a timely basis by tech/production. Hopefully they are learning their lesson - this upgrade is real.

And (B) as to vino, I agree with your view on French burgundy although it can still be very pleasant. I, too, prefer the bolder "new age" pinots. If you get the chance to buy some nicely aged (or some to cellar) New Zealand pinot noir I'd recommend the following (in order of priority):

Ata Rangi (a great vineyard to have lunch at btw)
Dry River
Felton Road Block 5
Gibbson Valley Reserve
Kusuda
Martinborough Marie Zellie

I'm not sure if any of the above are available where you live but if you can track them down they're worthy of a pinot noir slot in any cellar. But the top Cab Sav's from my home area of Gimblett Gravels are what I truly like!

post #736 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Question for you guys on the Mach IVb....Bland, I know you and some others here really enjoy it. If you were presented with the opportunity to buy the MACH IVb and have to wait, say a year to add the TEQ, or just buy something like the Marantz 8801 (I know it's in a different category) What would you make your decision based upon? I know the ADA is probably a better all around unit, and to buy the best you can afford at the moment and upgrade later is the way, but curious if any of you thought the ADA without the Trinnov right away, would provide a lack luster experience. I don't mean lack luster in crap or anything, but not showing what it can do combined with teq, would it be at a distinct disadvantage? Thanks

Edit...or something like the MX151 complete from the start and done
post #737 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Question for you guys on the Mach IVb....Bland, I know you and some others here really enjoy it. If you were presented with the opportunity to buy the MACH IVb and have to wait, say a year to add the TEQ, or just buy something like the Marantz 8801 (I know it's in a different category) What would you make your decision based upon? I know the ADA is probably a better all around unit, and to buy the best you can afford at the moment and upgrade later is the way, but curious if any of you thought the ADA without the Trinnov right away, would provide a lack luster experience. I don't mean lack luster in crap or anything, but not showing what it can do combined with teq, would it be at a distinct disadvantage? Thanks

Edit...or something like the MX151 complete from the start and done

In essence, it generally comes down to a few things -

- core audio quality of the processor
- quality of room correction
- functionality for your setup
- manufacturer support

In my case, I moved from an 8801 to the MX 151. I owned the 8801, and had the opportunity to test the MX in my home for a week. I frankly was anticipating little or no difference, given how pleased I was with the 8801. But after just a day, the core sonics of the 151 were markedly better - a more open, grain free sound among other qualities. And by the end of the week (once I figured out room perfect calibration techniques), it was also evident that RP was a major improvement over Audyasey XT32 Pro (especially in low frequency, but throughout the spectrum)

With its focus positions, RP does its own version of remapping, allowing you to snap the sound center to any seat in your listening area, or average all positions for multiple listeners. The MX provides a highly articulate and effortless sound, great imaging around the room, and a tremendous surround soundfield.

For some, it may not offer enough hdmi inputs, or there may be a concern that all signals pass through the digital domain, or that there will likely be no upgrade to hdmi 2.0. So it may not pass the functionality/useability test for some.

From a support perspective, Mcintosh is first rate. Very east to get someone on the phone or communicate via email.

I cannot comment on the difference between the MX and things like the Theta, but the 151 is a gem that is sometimes overlooked in the realm of so many sparkly things out there...
post #738 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In essence, it generally comes down to a few things -

- core audio quality of the processor
- quality of room correction
- functionality for your setup
- manufacturer support

In my case, I moved from an 8801 to the MX 151. I owned the 8801, and had the opportunity to test the MX in my home for a week. I frankly was anticipating little or no difference, given how pleased I was with the 8801. But after just a day, the core sonics of the 151 were markedly better - a more open, grain free sound among other qualities. And by the end of the week (once I figured out room perfect calibration techniques), it was also evident that RP was a major improvement over Audyasey XT32 Pro (especially in low frequency, but throughout the spectrum)

With its focus positions, RP does its own version of remapping, allowing you to snap the sound center to any seat in your listening area, or average all positions for multiple listeners. The MX provides a highly articulate and effortless sound, great imaging around the room, and a tremendous surround soundfield.

For some, it may not offer enough hdmi inputs, or there may be a concern that all signals pass through the digital domain, or that there will likely be no upgrade to hdmi 2.0. So it may not pass the functionality/useability test for some.

From a support perspective, Mcintosh is first rate. Very east to get someone on the phone or communicate via email.

I cannot comment on the difference between the MX and things like the Theta, but the 151 is a gem that is sometimes overlooked in the realm of so many sparkly things out there...

Thanks for your thoughts Thrang, I appreciate them very much! It seems evident, based on user experience from folks that have used them, that the 8801 is good, but the pieces we are disgussing here are steps above. I'd love to know how the 151 compares to the Rhapsody. I can't afford something like the ADA Ref at $40k, but I can afford the 151 or the Mach IVb and just add trinnov to the ADA later. Those are really the two it's down to for me. I'm going to be 100% HT, no two channel, no gaming etc. All movies and the occasional Blu Ray concert. I've heard that RP's effects are fantastic from more than one person, as I have heard the same for ADA with Trinnov.
post #739 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Thanks for your thoughts Thrang, I appreciate them very much! It seems evident, based on user experience from folks that have used them, that the 8801 is good, but the pieces we are disgussing here are steps above. I'd love to know how the 151 compares to the Rhapsody. I can't afford something like the ADA Ref at $40k, but I can afford the 151 or the Mach IVb and just add trinnov to the ADA later. Those are really the two it's down to for me. I'm going to be 100% HT, no two channel, no gaming etc. All movies and the occasional Blu Ray concert. I've heard that RP's effects are fantastic from more than one person, as I have heard the same for ADA with Trinnov.

If you're a single digital source user you should consider going Vanity modded Oppo 103 straight into a Trinnov MC8. Best price / performance you'll get by a mile (basically ADA Reference performance level without the usability - not an issue for single source). You can even run a second source into the Trinnov through the HDMI input on the Oppo.
post #740 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

If you're a single digital source user you should consider going Vanity modded Oppo 103 straight into a Trinnov MC8. Best price / performance you'll get by a mile (basically ADA Reference performance level without the usability - not an issue for single source). You can even run a second source into the Trinnov through the HDMI input on the Oppo.

But remember the oppo cannot accept high resolution bitstream lossless on its hdmi input.
post #741 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But remember the oppo cannot accept high resolution bitstream lossless on its hdmi input.

Who cares? Your high-rez lossless is on the discs you spin in the Oppo. The HDMI in on the Oppo can be used for satellite TV.
post #742 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

Who cares? Your high-rez lossless is on the discs you spin in the Oppo. The HDMI in on the Oppo can be used for satellite TV.

Anyone who has a media server to manage a library cares. I have about 400 blu rays ripped for playback via a media player.
post #743 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone who has a media server to manage a library cares. I have about 400 blu rays ripped for playback via a media player.

ChopShop1 mentioned he is "all movies", so I assumed he is spinning discs. If instead he plays movie rips from his library like you, he can run a MCH Lynx card from his server into the Trinnov, and spin discs in the blu ray drive of the server.

However, with a server, a much cheaper alternative is to run Dirac Live on the server and get a MCH Exasound DAC on the USB output. You will have SOTA DRC and phenomenal DACs at relatively low cost. What you sacrifice is the convenience of a SSP, but for a single source you don't need it.
post #744 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Just run LPCM out of media server into HDMI input of Oppo, works fine. Oppo just won't decode Bit stream HD codecs, but LPCM is passed through fine
post #745 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bland, I don't believe I took your bet. Had you upped it I might have been tempted.

In any event, (A) I believe Theta had said at the time of my post (not earlier) that they would begin the upgrades in two months' time (I used the term 60 days). If one is prepared to ship their CB to Theta, they will begin upgrading them end next week/the following week - I was told yesterday that they would be doing factory upgrades "in the last two week's of December". That's not bad and I'd say is well within tolerances of saying two months' time in early October. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't make sense for me to ship my CB to Theta for the upgrade but rather to wait for an upgrade kit that I can do myself. It sounds like that will be January. It's not like I will be using it over Christmas and New Year anyway as I will be in Florida. I've been just as critical of Theta's marketing department for frothing product launches and creating expectations that aren't met on a timely basis by tech/production. Hopefully they are learning their lesson - this upgrade is real.

Hey Steve,

Really?

Looking back at the posts, the bet was clear and you accepted ("I'll take your bet"). If it was light on the wager, I would've expected you to post 'bet's off' or suggest a more expensive wager i- but dropping the bet without a word doesn't fly. Moreover, backing out because the wager is too low is a bit strange - pocket change really. Why not drop a bottle in the mail and make good?

The fact that you couldn't take delivery, or you'll be away is peripheral to the agreed on 60 day deadline. Theta didn't meet its mark for you or anyone. I was open to anyone receiving one.

I imagine had they met their deadline, there would've been a lot of pressure on me to pay up given the exchange we had and I would've not heard the end of it if I hadn't paid. But I would've as I gave my word.

It was just a fun thing to do here on the forum but I expected one of us would send out a bottle..

Quote:

And (B) as to vino, I agree with your view on French burgundy although it can still be very pleasant. I, too, prefer the bolder "new age" pinots. If you get the chance to buy some nicely aged (or some to cellar) New Zealand pinot noir I'd recommend the following (in order of priority):

Ata Rangi (a great vineyard to have lunch at btw)
Dry River
Felton Road Block 5
Gibbson Valley Reserve
Kusuda
Martinborough Marie Zellie

I'm not sure if any of the above are available where you live but if you can track them down they're worthy of a pinot noir slot in any cellar. But the top Cab Sav's from my home area of Gimblett Gravels are what I truly like!

I'll look for those at my local wine shops. Never heard of any! Thanks.

post #746 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I would want the ability to use multiple sources, and not box myself into a corner for upgrading a bit at a time. I don't use a server now either, but it could be a possibility in the future.
post #747 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Just run LPCM out of media server into HDMI input of Oppo, works fine. Oppo just won't decode Bit stream HD codecs, but LPCM is passed through fine

For guys that are mostly discs and play some content from server - get an Vanity / Oppo and do as you say, for guys that are mainly server based spinning the occasional disc, get a server and play disc in BR drive. Either way, you don't need the SSP.

My target configuration (for MCH) is to run Dirac live on a server, playing rips, Lynx out into three separate DACs (2 x NAD M51 and 1 x MSB Signature) and control volume on the DACs with RS232 and iRule macros.
post #748 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

Jeff (BLAND)

You still up to no good ? My god after all these years you still bash us smile.gif Ahh its all good my friend, I still love you smile.gif

You thought we would never have HDMI 1.4 and we did it with 3D support January 2011. Now 3 Years later we are adding an all new Processing Engine with Dirac Room correction with Filters that can be added to any of the 12 inputs. What does this mean ? Well it means all the amazing programability of the Casablanca 3HD gets even better as now we can apply the Dirac filters to any of the 12 complete input environments. This is again a feature that no one else in the industry has. Imagine having a input for 2 channel full range and another input for 2 Channel with Subs and another input for DVD/Bluray with subs and maybe another input for DVD/Bluray with the subs dialed back a few DB for late night listening. All with a single button push. Voila - Casablanca !!!

On top of all this we have even more coming in 2014 for upgrades and guess what? Out of the list of Pre pros, how many are upgradable and have a 18+ year track record ? None that I know of.

I love Bryston and Anthem and Classe , they are all nice but none are like the Casablanca 3/4 and they will never be. Granted the CB3/4 will list for almost 30K with the killer dac cards.

Deadline ? Your joking right ? Deadline ? What is this a live date for a new Data Center or the opening of a new department store ? Dude, its a processor upgrade which by the way since Cedia and before we thought end of December or first few weeks of January and guess what ? We will most likely launch December 16th..

Deadline ? Would you rather have a Levinson 40 or a Lexicon MC12 or Maybe one of Krells Units that all have been expired and will never have HDMI 1.4 and 3D ? Haaa Not a chance.. They all have to go in the garbage and the Casablanca Lives on..

I would rather have an Upgrade to my machine a little late then own a Machine I have to throw away every 3 years. Wouldn't you ?

Jump on board my friend and enjoy what you know you will love smile.gif

Craig
Theatermax LLC

Craig, you know I love ya and think you are Theta's best advocate and dealer. I know your clients get your all (inc me).

I had no doubt this update was real but decided to make a bet simply for the fun of it. Sure, they didn't make 60 days but it is clear it is pending soon. I like your attitude about it all - life's too short. I think BB had a coronary last night after posting on it.

You never know where I might be and would never rule any piece of equipment out if I didn't feel it was the best for my system.

I am looking forward to the reviews.

post #749 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb2012 View Post

BB52 you cannot dig yourself out of this hole rolleyes.gif There was a bet- it has not panned out; Craig/Steve have to eat humble pie and admit it :)and move on wink.gif

That still does not mean Theta CB is not a great pre-pro. Folks should be glad that they are still offering HDMI updates/upgrades for existing models.

Agreed!

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #750 of 851 Old 12-03-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Steve,

Really?

Looking back at the posts, the bet was clear and you accepted ("I'll take your bet"). If it was light on the wager, I would've expected you to post 'bet's off' or suggest a more expensive wager i- but dropping the bet without a word doesn't fly. Moreover, backing out because the wager is too low is a bit strange - pocket change really. Why not drop a bottle in the mail and make good?

The fact that you couldn't take delivery, or you'll be away is peripheral to the agreed on 60 day deadline. Theta didn't meet its mark for you or anyone. I was open to anyone receiving one.

I imagine had they met their deadline, there would've been a lot of pressure on me to pay up given the exchange we had and I would've not heard the end of it if I hadn't paid. But I would've as I gave my word.

It was just a fun thing to do here on the forum but I expected one of us would send out a bottle..
I'll look for those at my local wine shops. Never heard of any! Thanks.

We could argue about this all day long. If Theta says in early October that they will be delivering in 2 months and they are doing so in mid-December I'd say they delivered. But it's worth $70 to shut you up - will it shut you up?

PM me your address and I will try to arrange for delivery of a bottle of 2010 Ata Rangi. I will have to try to find it from a US supplier as the last time I tried to send wine to the US the delivery was rejected and returned.

The 2010 will (ideally) need to be cellared for about another 5 years by which time you will no doubt own a Theta CB.

Some tasting notes below. As we say downunder "not bad plonk."

94 pts Wine Spectator 6/15/12
Exotic aromatics of mahogany and sandalwood follow through to supple red licorice, cranberry, cherry and raspberry flavors that are elegant, precise and balanced. Baking spice details of clove and nutmeg persist on the finish. Drink now through 2020.
96 pts Bob Campbell, MW, February 2012
When Ata Rangi was recognised by its peers as being the first equal producer of Pinot Noir in this country I thought the honour well deserved. As an early pioneer of top Pinot Noir this small family company has never rested on its laurels but has worked hard to build an even better wine every year. This is one of Ata Rangi's best ever wines. The star feature is a silken, mouth-filling and totally seductive texture although the complex layering of fruit and savoury flavours is nearly as appealing. I find it hard to imagine how they can improve on this wine ... but they will.

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page