Best Surround Processor Currently Available? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Best Multi-Channel processor currently on the market?
Classe SSP800 26 10.20%
Bryton SP3 23 9.02%
ADA Mach IV 4 1.57%
ADA Mach IV+Trinnov 28 10.98%
Datasat RS20i 50 19.61%
Theta CB3 HDMI + Extreme Dacs 34 13.33%
Krell Evolution 707 14 5.49%
Mcintosh MX151 25 9.80%
JBL Synthesis with SDEC 4500 18 7.06%
Other (comment on your answer) 35 13.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #181 of 851 Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

I own a Suite 7.1 for personal use (family room), and have sold several Rhapsodys. Our demo system would have Rhapsody/TEQ-12 had the Reference not been introduced. ADA gear works how it's supposed to, all the time and their support is spectacular! On the rare occasion I've had trouble, they have always come through for me.

In my opinion, they are one if the most under-rated manufacturers in consumer electronics.

Dan

I love my 7.1 as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 851 Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What's the downside to using the TEQ-12 with a different brand processor (for room correction)? Is the TEQ "rack in the room" friendly (quiet)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 851 Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

What's the downside to using the TEQ-12 with a different brand processor (for room correction)? Is the TEQ "rack in the room" friendly (quiet)?

If you don't need the ADA integration you could get a Trinnov MC12 instead of TEQ 12. Same processing, but not insignificant benefits are digital inputs/outputs. If you wanted to integrate a MCH / 2 channel system, you could run your 2 channel source digitally into the MC12 (instead of doing A/D conversion in TEQ 12), and even use an audiophile outboard DAC.
post #184 of 851 Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

If you don't need the ADA integration you could get a Trinnov MC12 instead of TEQ 12. Same processing, but not insignificant benefits are digital inputs/outputs. If you wanted to integrate a MCH / 2 channel system, you could run your 2 channel source digitally into the MC12 (instead of doing A/D conversion in TEQ 12), and even use an audiophile outboard DAC.

I imagine some will need the post processing from a processor (PLIIx, etc.)

I think GetGray is asking if there is a disadvantage with using TEQ12 with a processor other than ADA's. From what I understand, the ADA will communicate with the TEQ to track volume on the Trinnov piece. That's the one thing I'm not fully understanding. Does there Trinnov have it's own volume control that needs to be adjusted with the processor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #185 of 851 Old 03-06-2013, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Does there Trinnov have it's own volume control that needs to be adjusted with the processor?

You want to keep the digital signal unaltered (or "full volume") in order to not lose resolution at low volume levels. Consequently the volume control has to be done by the DAC (or after the DAC). This is what TacT already did 10 years ago.
post #186 of 851 Old 03-06-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Tony - 14 votes for Datasat now! What are you waiting for!?

post #187 of 851 Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I imagine some will need the post processing from a processor (PLIIx, etc.)

I think GetGray is asking if there is a disadvantage with using TEQ12 with a processor other than ADA's. From what I understand, the ADA will communicate with the TEQ to track volume on the Trinnov piece. That's the one thing I'm not fully understanding. Does there Trinnov have it's own volume control that needs to be adjusted with the processor?

Understood, but the scenario here is a processor before the TEQ12. So while there is no disadvantage to the TEQ12 per se, in a Trinnov application without an ADA MachIV SSP, you'd be better off getting an MC12 in my estimation because you have more functionality (digital in/out). Volume control is done in the Trinnov. With ADA + TEQ12 the volume control commands are send to the Trinnov. With a non ADA processor you'd have to control the Trinnov VC with VNC or RS232. You can also get an IR module with the Trinnov MC I believe.
post #188 of 851 Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
ADA integration is two parts: there's the TEQ mode that needs to be enabled on the preamp/processor and there's the ADA bus connection between the TEQ and the preamp/processor- together these put the pre-pro at a unity gain fixed output and transfer the VC duties to the TEQ.

Adding a TEQ to another brand pre-pro is just like adding an outboard DSP or other type of signal processor.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH

post #189 of 851 Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ADA integration is two parts: there's the TEQ mode that needs to be enabled on the preamp/processor and there's the ADA bus connection between the TEQ and the preamp/processor- together these put the pre-pro at a unity gain fixed output and transfer the VC duties to the TEQ.

Adding a TEQ to another brand pre-pro is just like adding an outboard DSP or other type of signal processor.

Dan

But the TEQ has it's own volume control, correct? So if I were to add this between a non-ADA pre-pro and amplifiers, where is the master volume, and what is the interrelationship between the two volume controls? Maybe its simple, but I'm not getting something...

Thanks

post #190 of 851 Old 03-06-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

But the TEQ has it's own volume control, correct? So if I were to add this between a non-ADA pre-pro and amplifiers, where is the master volume, and what is the interrelationship between the two volume controls? Maybe its simple, but I'm not getting something...

Thanks

You need to set the volume on the SSP to unity gain, and control volume on the TEQ via RS232 or VNC.
post #191 of 851 Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

You need to set the volume on the SSP to unity gain, and control volume on the TEQ via RS232 or VNC.

Ok, so presumably 0 db on the pre pro

I'd be curious if I can integrate the teq in my roomie remote app (they do support global cache's iTach devices, including serial)

Is there ir on the teq as well?

post #192 of 851 Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Ok, so presumably 0 db on the pre pro

I'd be curious if I can integrate the teq in my roomie remote app (they do support global cache's iTach devices, including serial)

Is there ir on the teq as well?

I got the Trinnov to work with iRule and an global cache device. I assume RS232 on the TEQ is the same as Trinnov MC. Figuring out the codes is a real bitch because it has checksum values. I have a spreadsheet to calculate the codes (courtesy of Trinnov). If roomie is like iRule you should be able to get it to work. I have not figured out feedback yet, so I do not see volume level on my iPad.
post #193 of 851 Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My preference was to set the volume on the TEQ to a median gain and then use the VC of the Rhapsody (it was already programmed into the automation system, and I was swapping between the ADA rig and the Datasat). I don't remember there being IR on the TEQ, but I could be wrong- since I was controlling the Rhapsody via rs-232, it wasn't a concern.

Think of it like this: you have a pre-pro, a DSP that can add gain, and then amplifiers.

You control volume with the pre-pro, have the DSP set such that it doesn't clip or distort signals even at full-volume, and then sent he signals to the amp. Now substitute TEQ for DSP and you have the same concept- as long as you aren't too aggressive with gain on the TEQ (that would be the volume position), you're safe to do whatever you like- part of the setup process should be to insure that the system doesn't clip or distort at max volume.

It's tricky, but if you're considering the TEQ, it would be sourced by an ADA dealer who should integrate it properly for you anyway. I understand that there are a large number of you that feel this is always DIY audio, but my contention is that if you spend that kind of money on a product you should expect a certain level of service from the dealer that sold it.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH

post #194 of 851 Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My preference was to set the volume on the TEQ to a median gain and then use the VC of the Rhapsody (it was already programmed into the automation system, and I was swapping between the ADA rig and the Datasat). I don't remember there being IR on the TEQ, but I could be wrong- since I was controlling the Rhapsody via rs-232, it wasn't a concern.

Think of it like this: you have a pre-pro, a DSP that can add gain, and then amplifiers.

You control volume with the pre-pro, have the DSP set such that it doesn't clip or distort signals even at full-volume, and then sent he signals to the amp. Now substitute TEQ for DSP and you have the same concept- as long as you aren't too aggressive with gain on the TEQ (that would be the volume position), you're safe to do whatever you like- part of the setup process should be to insure that the system doesn't clip or distort at max volume.

It's tricky, but if you're considering the TEQ, it would be sourced by an ADA dealer who should integrate it properly for you anyway. I understand that there are a large number of you that feel this is always DIY audio, but my contention is that if you spend that kind of money on a product you should expect a certain level of service from the dealer that sold it.

Dan

I used to have an analog source into the Trinnov MC and control gain of the analog input (which is analogous to what you were doing with Rhapsody / TEQ if I understand correctly). Curt mentioned you get better S/N ratio if you set the analog input to -0dB and control volume digitally on the Trinnov.

This would require using RS232 to control volume on the TEQ. I agree if ADA (dealer) is going to sell you a stand alone TEQ unit for use with a non-ADA processor, they should be able to help out getting volume control to work with the TEQ, using roomie or iRule.
post #195 of 851 Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Possibly another round with Datasat this week. From what I was told, they intend to reconfigure the room in NYC. We'll see... as I mentioned on another thread, only logical answer is someone messed with the Datasat settings after it was configured by their engineer.

ADA audition scheduled for this Thur. Rescheduled from last week due to weather.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #196 of 851 Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Possibly another round with Datasat this week. From what I was told, they intend to reconfigure the room in NYC. We'll see... as I mentioned on another thread, only logical answer is someone messed with the Datasat settings after it was configured by their engineer.

ADA audition scheduled for this Thur. Rescheduled from last week due to weather.
Would be great to coordinate the Datasat visit while Datasat was there.

post #197 of 851 Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dolittle View Post

I've had this beauty since 1984 and I think the sound is amazing !wink.gif

I owned one of these but I'm not sure what ever happened to it. SJ
post #198 of 851 Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you Richard and Albert from ADA. They were both very accommodating and they really know their stuff. ADA makes some great gear and are pioneers in this industry.

Thanks again guys.

Tony

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #199 of 851 Old 03-17-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Well.... pretty unemotional 'thank you'... Was it the best ever or... just 'meh'?wink.gif

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #200 of 851 Old 03-17-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Well.... pretty unemotional 'thank you'... Was it the best ever or... just 'meh'?wink.gif

I didn't want to be over the top. smile.gif The Mach IV with Trinnov is very, very impressive. I also felt like I met a couple of rock stars of the audio industry.

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #201 of 851 Old 03-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 37
There is no denying the ability of the crm4 / trinnov combo. I certainly enjoyed it while I had it. Although I do feel the rs20i when properly configured offers a higher level of sound quality and fluidity. Just my opinion tho.

Richard is indeed a really nice chap and incredibly knowledgable. Glad those demos went better for you than the datasat ones.
post #202 of 851 Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

When I was auditioning Trinnov using Curt's MC Pro it had the SmartMeter software. Seemingly for professional use, it's fun to look at, but I couldn't find any particular use for me. I'm curious to see if anyone has ordered an MC pro with it and found it to be useful in a home setup.

In the home it would make for great 'eye candy' but most of it's capability would be moot and non functional in the typical HT environment.It's a software production tool.The SmartMeter software meets professional standards and is used for the various professional metering requirements for loudness monitoring in the process of mixing audio.

http://www.trinnov.com/tri_news/trinnov-introduces-smartmeter-v3/
post #203 of 851 Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View PostMeridian website doesn't really tell you a whole lot. Either need to chat with a dealer or check out www.meridian-audio.info

861v8 is certainly 'current' although Meridian have made some design choices that may not be everybody's cup-of-tea. Notably there is NO video switching in the main 861 chassis, you have to get the outboard HD621 for that. Adds to cost, but is something I happen to like. Also, 861 must get a PCM signal, so all decoding to PCM must be done in the player - again, OK with me, but not everyone will necessarily agree.

I like the Classe SSP-800 a lot. When I did my head-to-head 3 years ago it came down to the Classe or the Meridian. To my ears the latter sounded better, although it is also considerably more expensive.

Meridian is made in plastic!!!

Here you are this gets my vote :)

http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/products/surround-processor-model-p1

My humble Cinema
post #204 of 851 Old 04-02-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I voted for the Bryston SP3 in part as it is the only one in the list I have heard (extensively) and love its transparency and am not a fan of Audyssey for music. The other reason is I read recently in TAS or Stereophile that the predominant prepro at a high end show was the SP3 which says something.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #205 of 851 Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View PostI voted for the Bryston SP3 in part as it is the only one in the list I have heard (extensively) and love its transparency and am not a fan of Audyssey for music. The other reason is I read recently in TAS or Stereophile that the predominant prepro at a high end show was the SP3 which says something.

Link!

My humble Cinema
post #206 of 851 Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Link!
I have print copies so I will need to dig through them. It was likely Dec, Jan or Feb issues as I am behind in my magazines.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #207 of 851 Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

It has been late nights at work this week so I have not had a lot of time to look but from what I have tried I have had no luck in finding the article. Now I am wondering if I imagined it?! It is a bit embarrassing as it appears like I made a baseless assertion unless someone else can help me out?

post #208 of 851 Old 04-06-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 69
What a massive touchscreen user interface. Can this processor be set up 100% from the front panel?

post #209 of 851 Old 04-07-2013, 12:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

What a massive touchscreen user interface. Can this processor be set up 100% from the front panel?
If the touch emulates mouse input as I have seen with other implementations of this (e.g. remote desktop on iPad), I would say it would be frustrating to do so. Icons are too small for finger control that way.

Amir
Founder,

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #210 of 851 Old 04-07-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Forget the poll... That's the piece to own.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page