are darkchip4 3 chips that much better than single chips? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-23-2013, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Why arent single chip dlp projectors in the spotlight for fidelity? Ive never seen one, but the 3 chilp lumis is considered like the best of the best. Even though the lens and lamp might not be as good and the color wheel wouldnt add to its appeal but shouldnt single chip dlps be the same almost and should be getting stellar reviews on color and contrast? I dont get it.

And is there darkchip 5 coming out?

And is the fidelity of 2k dlp projectors better than projectors like the sim 2 lums?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-24-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, I can say from demoing both over the years that most of the 3 chip DLP projectors I have seen have been better (IMO anyway) than single chip models. It depends on the size of chip used, lens and various other factors but generally speaking they tend to produce greater depth, more lumens, better contrast, colour and of course - no rainbows. Single chip technology will produce more consistent sharpness across price ranges and models but certainly the DLP chips in high end 3 chippers tend to be pretty tightly aligned so the sharpness is still excellent (or at least it should be for the price). Certainly the difference is there in real life.

DLP generally seems to have a perception problem (no pun intended). On/off contrast doesn't measure very highly and then there are people's reactions to rainbows. Then you also have the confusion surrounding different sizes of chips and the justification of cost differences - for example - the Acer 9500 and Sim2 Nero 2 are both 1080p, 3D, around 1000 lumens when calibrated, claimed contrast is reasonably similar and yet the difference in price is $23000
If you demo them, the difference would be pronounced and if you dig a little deeper into the technology you could understand why the Sim2 would be better. The differences, and positive aspects of DLP in general, are harder to convey in an easily quantifiable way to people reading reviews though.

I don't think we will ever see a 1080p Darkchip5, more likely we'll see 4k DLP if any new advancements are made.
As far as 2K DLP goes, I haven't seen any demos intended for home use so its hard for me to comment. Based on numbers alone, the Lumis should have better contrast but I am sure there are other advantages to a 2K model, lumens being the most obvious.

post #4 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Well, I had what I consider one of the best single chip DLP projectors - the Digital Projection dVision 1080p -
http://www.digitalprojection.com/BrowseProjectors/dVisionSeries/tabid/263/Default.aspx

It was extremely sharp - the picture was outstanding in every way except sheer contrast. Man, if they could / would put a dynamic iris on these that works as seamless as my Lumis, is would be killer !!

Then, one day, I saw the Lumis Host being demo'd at CES. It just had more depth, and the blacks were killer !

It seems to me that DLP projectors today either occupy the cheap end of the projector spectrum, or the high end. The middle ground has been taken over by other chip technology that has better native contrast and much better marketing regarding those contrast numbers!!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #5 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
A single-chip LED projector offers the detail of a single-chip with a switching speed 20 times that of a traditional color wheel/single chip. If your image size is 120" (diag) or less, it's hard to beat. For larger image sizes, the 3-chip rules...though I must observe that the premium single-chip projectors have greatly improved with respect to RBE.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Craig, why is the forum only 40% of the screenwidth?
post #7 of 15 Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Good question Donald - it seems that now it's back to its usual width. Just FYI - I don't run the forum or know its ins and outs. However, if you want the best deal on home theater equipment - I work the AV Science store side of things. Just a retired guy, and a home theater nut like the rest of you. I don't need to make any $ - so I can try and get you the best deal. My mission in life - to be the Home Theater Candy Man..........biggrin.gif

That said, the super narrow forum look was a bit irritating...........mad.gif

post #8 of 15 Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
And it still is. It starts wider, and then the Epson background loads and the forum section gets smaller again. All quite rapidly:-(.

Import doesn't make sense with import duties and value added tax on both the value of the product and the shipping costs. Better off buying locally within the EU, sorry.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Ya, it's back to the narrow look. Oh well....

post #10 of 15 Old 03-29-2013, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Good question Donald - it seems that now it's back to its usual width. Just FYI - I don't run the forum or know its ins and outs. However, if you want the best deal on home theater equipment - I work the AV Science store side of things. Just a retired guy, and a home theater nut like the rest of you. I don't need to make any $ - so I can try and get you the best deal. My mission in life - to be the Home Theater Candy Man..........biggrin.gif

That said, the super narrow forum look was a bit irritating...........mad.gif

I dont mean to sound rude but you really shouldnt talk about your goal is to give the best deal when your selling retail pricing heck the rf 7 iis are a penny cheaper at crutchfield. Alot of things on there can be had for like 25% cheaper from reputable dealers im sorry that plug just kind of bugged me sorry plus companies like crutchfild are prett stellar with customer service the internet is a competitive marketplace
post #11 of 15 Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech0903 View Post

I dont mean to sound rude but you really shouldnt talk about your goal is to give the best deal when your selling retail pricing heck the rf 7 iis are a penny cheaper at crutchfield. Alot of things on there can be had for like 25% cheaper from reputable dealers im sorry that plug just kind of bugged me sorry plus companies like crutchfild are prett stellar with customer service the internet is a competitive marketplace

I don't think it is entirely inappropriate for them to 'plug', as it is THEIR forum.

BTW, was that post really only 2 sentences?
post #12 of 15 Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Are you talking about pricing listed on their web link? Call for pricing, don't look there.

post #13 of 15 Old 03-29-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you talking about pricing listed on their web link? Call for pricing, don't look there.

Absolutely - call. Thank you.
Quote:
im sorry that plug just kind of bugged me

BTW - I try not to " plug " our business here, but I can't tell you how many times I've been told " I didn't know AV Science sold stuff "

Thank you. Craig

post #14 of 15 Old 03-30-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh you should say call for pricing as I didn't read that anywhere on the website
post #15 of 15 Old 04-01-2013, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech0903 View Post

Oh you should say call for pricing as I didn't read that anywhere on the website

They typically list MSRP or close to MSRP on their website. But AVScience also has a very limited amount of product posted on their website. They are a "local" dealer in the traditional sense that just so happens to have the capacity to ship to anyone in the nation. Always call as their pricing is usually much better than prices listed on their website.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page