Current Owners of Classé CT-SSP (or SSP-800) Surround Processor, Please Help, Is it still buggy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-29-2013, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to ask for the forum's help please. This is only the second thread I started and hope it's in the correct category. confused.gif

I would like to purchase the Classé CT-SSP Surround Processor in the very near future…I'll also be purchasing Bryston's 4B-SST2 C-Series amp & 9B-SST2 C-Series amp (configured as 3 Channel) (See thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464277/class-ct-ssp-surround-processor-bryston-4b-sst2-9b-sst2-3-chn-c-series-amps-with-b-w-diamond/0_100). I read the AVS Forum thread titled, “Classé SSP-800 vs Anthem D2v2”, which ran from 12/20/09 through 10/24/10 (See thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1208028/classe-ssp-800-vs-anthem-d2v2/0_100). This thread included the comment: "the Classé two years later is riden with bugs". This comment is consistent with the Home Theater Review I read on the "Classé CT-SSP Surround Processor and CT-5300 Amplifier" written back on Sep 21, 2010 (See this Home Theater article at: http://www.hometheater.com/content/classeacute-ct-ssp-surround-processor-and-ct-5300-amplifier) and I am unable to find any, more current, reviews for the Classé CT-SSP.

I realize that a fair amount of time has passed since the HT review was written and since the comment in the thread on AVS Forum was posted, but I do not want to assume that everything has been corrected and currently all is well with the Classé CT-SSP and it functions flawlessly…especially since HDMI has gone from version 1.3 to 1.4a since the HT Review & AVS Forum Thread were written.

I like everything I’ve read about the Classé CT-SSP Surround Processor, except, of course, for the buggy issues, but I do not want to purchase this unit if it does not function flawlessly. Are there any current owners of the Classé CT-SSP (or SSP-800) Surround Processor who wouldn’t mind sharing some feedback on their Classé Surround Processor and whether it functions flawlessly? I’ve called the audio retailers in my area but none can provide me with a loaner for an in-home audition, or offer an in-store demo.

My second choice is probably the Anthem D2v2 but I've not yet researched this model very closely and may end up finding it too has issues. But I’d really prefer the Classé CT-SSP…as long as the bugs have been corrected and it currently functions flawlessly.

The functionality issues I'm most concerned with include, but are not limited to, the following:
• sound/video delay/sync problem…the sound will be delayed several seconds but the video will begin immediately following a pause, fast forward or rewind and/or the audio and video will be out of sync. This happens off a Blu-Ray, DVD, or DVR.
• pops out the speakers and/or sub when coming off a pause, fast forward or rewind
• abnormal audio for several seconds duration after mute is turned off

I had recently experienced these issues and more, potential tweeter damaging issues, from another manufacturers unit...however that was an AVR. But none-the-less, the popping was noted for the Classé so I wanted to list at least a couple of the other issues I was told (by the AVR manufacturer) were related to the HDMI Version 1.4a handshake.

Any current or previous owners of this equipment who wouldn’t mind passing along whatever feedback they might have on the functionality of their Classé CT-SSP (or SSP-800) Surround Processor and/or the Anthem D2v2 would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

It's solid.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I was hoping, (and expecting), that all would be well by now. The multiple issues I had with one AVR really made be cautious.

May I please ask, have you had your CT-SSP very long?
post #4 of 21 Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Try also posting in the Receivers, Amps and Processors thread, it's bound to get a lot more traffic in there.

post #5 of 21 Old 03-29-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
post #6 of 21 Old 03-29-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Rod#S, thank you...I'll give Receivers, Amps and Processors a try too.

adidino, it's nice to hear from a second member that it's solid. I was concerned because of what I read and because I think it's now made in China...don't know how long China been building the unit....but this is a big concern I have.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-30-2013, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Have a look at the SSP-800 thread. Lots of owners there. The last of the known bugs was corrected with firmware released about a year ago. It's solid. I've owned mine since end 2009 when the dual DSP board started shipping, and it now has the current video board (HDMI 1.4).
post #8 of 21 Old 03-30-2013, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much Roger! I'll definitely go through the SSP-800 Thread Link you sent me first thing in the morning. I'm very pleased that I'm hearing that the bugs have been corrected especially now that it has the HDMI 1.4 board. I would have been very disappointed to spend $9K+ USD and find that there are pops or sync issues or some other annoying functionality issue still pending. Solid is good...just what I was hoping for. smile.gif
post #9 of 21 Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to give you some background on the bugs, back when I was finishing my theater build (2009), I was watching the Anthem D2v and SSP-800 threads (at AVSF and Club Classe at HTGuide -- which has useful info, too), waiting to see which one would achieve relative freedom from bugs before I bought one.

The numerous issues being described with the Anthem video/HDMI board really turned me off (especially as I did not want video processing inside the unit anyway), and the ARC, as good as it appeared, was not as user-adjustable as I wanted -- with more control over the target curve,

I finally relented and bought the Classe so I could get a first-hand taste of "hi rez" audio formats. Even though the SSP had been in the market for a full year at that point, it was still full of bugs as the thread reported. Over the next 2 years, I worked closely with Dave Nauber and Classe's engineer to document and eliminate two dozen bugs, several of which no one had ever even noticed or reported. One was traced back to the MDS board, and fixing that was a major operation as it restructured the MDS code significantly which had a ripple effect on the SSP code, which generated a new set of bugs.

Anyway, it's been almost a full year (June 2012) since the last firmware was released, and I think that alone says volumes about the state of operation. I cannot say the same for the D2v, for which owners were not only still fighting bugs, but were also fighting to get Anthem to admit certain audio bugs were present even with solid documentation several of us provided. They were eventually addressed, but it just makes the process more difficult if you cannot even get the designers to admit the issues existed. I had never found any such resistance at Classe -- they were open to hearing about issues and took immediate steps to verify and fix them. The SSP-800 looks deceptively simple, physically due to the uncluttered front panel, and from its uncluttered touch-screen menus. The finesse exhibited in the SSP-800 is understated but not easy to achieve, particularly for boutique manufacturers like Classe, Anthem, Krell, Theta, and Bryston.

The one thing that is still wrong in the SSP is the Dolby Volume feature, which was added late in the game, and has no ability to shift the reference level (like Audyssey does with Ref Level Offset), so that renders it unusable IMHO. (That was Dolby's error, not Classe's.) No matter, it's easy to leave it turned off.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-31-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Roger, thanks a million for the background history about the bugs. I think it speaks volumes when a company (Classé) works with it's customers to correct bugs verses trying to dodge the bullet and attempt to not even admit that any bugs exist. I know how that is from just ending an extremely frustrating 8 month ordeal with another company which is doing the same as Anthem and not even admitting there are any problems. I appreciate your help very much...thank you. Now i can rest easy when I place my order for a CT-SSP...yeah I know the SSP-800 looks nicer but I need to stay with all black...or close to it. smile.gif
post #11 of 21 Old 03-31-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman S View Post

. I know how that is from just ending an extremely frustrating 8 month ordeal with another company which is doing the same as Anthem and not even admitting there are any problems.

Let me guess... Cary?
post #12 of 21 Old 03-31-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

No...Arcam.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 AM

My SSP-800 doesn't have any of the sync issues you mention but I still have HDMI hand shake issues at times (video but no sound when switching sources). I have the dual DSP upgrade but not the HDMI 1.4a upgrade though. Handshake issues aren't unique to the Classe so I wouldn't hold that against it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

What do you do when you have no audio? Is it just a matter of waiting a short period of time for the audio to come in and then all is well? I'm concerned about the handshake issue because of the extremely frustrating 8 month ordeal I had with Arcam. After that ordeal my buddy loaned me his inexpensive, middle of the line, Pioneer AVR for a few days just so I could checkout the functionality. This inexpensive, HDMI 1.4 AVR functioned flawlessly...didn't sound worth a hoot but it had flawless functionality....so it can be done.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you do when you have no audio? Is it just a matter of waiting a short period of time for the audio to come in and then all is well?
It's very rare, but IIRC, I just switch to another input, then switch back, and it's fine.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Roger
post #17 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Had my 800 for about two years and zero issues. The first week I thought it was having some issues but in the end it was me. I have not even performed the firmware upgrade from last year.

Bryson SSP is getting good reviews in sound quality.

Rick

post #18 of 21 Old 04-05-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

Had my 800 for about two years and zero issues. The first week I thought it was having some issues but in the end it was me. I have not even performed the firmware upgrade from last year.
I do not want to start trouble, suggesting a F/W update when none is apparently necessary. I'd just recommend having a look at the release notes for 3.0.2 and see if any of the fixes look appealing.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

Bryson SSP is getting good reviews in sound quality.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I'm looking forward to getting my Classé....yes, the Bryston SP3 definitely is getting great reviews too.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-06-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:

What do you do when you have no audio? Is it just a matter of waiting a short period of time for the audio to come in and then all is well? I'm concerned about the handshake issue because of the extremely frustrating 8 month ordeal I had with Arcam. After that ordeal my buddy loaned me his inexpensive, middle of the line, Pioneer AVR for a few days just so I could checkout the functionality. This inexpensive, HDMI 1.4 AVR functioned flawlessly...didn't sound worth a hoot but it had flawless functionality....so it can be done.

Switching inputs for me did not work. I had to power off the Classe. Oddly enough powering off the Blu Ray player did not work either. Switching the blu ray audio output from direct to mix or vice versa would occasionally work but not always.. The handshake issue only occurred with my Sony BDP blu ray player, never with the TIVO, HTPC, Xbox, PS3, or the Oppo DV-983. Only the BDP and the Oppo are connected directly to the Classe though, all the others go through a DVDO Edge then to the Classe. May be an issue with the Sony more than the Classe, but it is rare enough that I don't sweat it.
post #21 of 21 Old 04-08-2013, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info bezoar. It doesn't sound like I'll have nearly the problems, if any, as I did with the other manufacturer.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page