Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hello;

I had to run a new calibration last week because I changed speakers and ended up making a mistake in my setup and ended up re-running the calibration. This got me wondering how the calibration works and if I really needed to rerun the setup. The mistake I made was I lowered the crossover for my mains from 50Hz to 40Hz but forgot to also lower the subs to 40Hz. I noticed while watching a movie that the bass was very boomy by times which led me to go back into the menu and discover the mistake. I corrected it and contined to use the system for a day before I re-calibrated. The boominess went away but since I wasn't sure if a calibration had to be redone I played it safe and did it anyways.

When the auto calibration runs does it use the cross over settings when sending out all of the test tones to the mics (EQ, distance and levels) or does it run/consider each speaker full range while calibrating and the crossovers are merely applied overtop of the results once completed?

Concerning the EQ bug. There is a known bug in the EQ affecting some of the settings i.e. Low, Medium, High and Max. Some work properly but others have a bug. Does anyone know which are the unaffected ones, I can't rememeber. This info used to be over on the SMR forums but that hasn't come back on-line in months. I noticed after my calibration that my setting was set at Medium. I'm sure I always had it running higher but can't remember if it was High or Max and want to be sure when I bump it up I'm not setting it to the one with the bug.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 02:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
During calibration, it corrects one octave on either side of the crossover.

As for the bug, Low and Max settings were unaffected.

Sanjay
post #3 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So the crossovers do come into play during calibration so it was good to play it safe and re-calibrate.

I'll have to change my EQ setting, I moved it from Medium to High last night so I'll decide on which I prefer, Low or Max.

Thanks Sanjay, much appreciated.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Max does the most correction when it comes to reducing ringing. But in doing so, bass tend to sound shy (perceptually). To compensate, use the Bass control or Tilt function to restore the spectral balance to your subjective preference.

Sanjay
post #5 of 5 Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks again. I set it to Max, with my new 800 Diamonds having lots of bass output I didn't feel a need to boost the bass.

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
Lexicon Mc 12hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page