Spec an Audiophile PC With Me Using CAPS 3.0 as a Starting Point, Adding HDMI for Multi-Channel Hi Rez Audio!!! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 805 Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've not bothered to rip BD disks. I just play the discs. I also buy less discs now than I used to. (If I want to watch a movie/TV series of so-so quality or that I don't think I'll want to watch repeatedly I simply rent it on AppleTV.)

But when you rip, unless you then re-encode to a different video resolution, you will get the original picture resolution. I've not looked at HDMI cards but new motherboards with HDMI ports are more than capable of handling the video and audio of a Blu Ray rip. BTW you need to cognisant of the implications of UltraViolet for BD ripping, not something I've looked at in detail.

I have ripped all of my DVDs. My motivation for ripping my DVD collection was simply to jettison the circa 400 discs out of my media room and into my storage unit. I didn't bother with ISO rips and all the cr*p you never watch. I just did main feature extractions. Again, you get what's on the disc. However, mpeg2 encoded video is very inefficient. So I then transcoded all the main feature extractions to H.264. By doing so, I could achieve DVD (cr*p) quality with considerably less disk space. (If you have lots of letterboxed DVDs you also don't need to encode the black bars which saves even more space. You also don't need to save audio tracks, e.g. different languages, that you don't want.) Handbrake can handle the transcoding. (Let me know if you want the settings I used and I can try to dig them out. I did all this a year or so ago.)

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 805 Old 08-21-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

I've not bothered to rip BD disks. I just play the discs. I also buy less discs now than I used to. (If I want to watch a movie/TV series of so-so quality or that I don't think I'll want to watch repeatedly I simply rent it on AppleTV.)

But when you rip, unless you then re-encode to a different video resolution, you will get the original picture resolution. I've not looked at HDMI cards but new motherboards with HDMI ports are more than capable of handling the video and audio of a Blu Ray rip. BTW you need to cognisant of the implications of UltraViolet for BD ripping, not something I've looked at in detail.

I have ripped all of my DVDs. My motivation for ripping my DVD collection was simply to jettison the circa 400 discs out of my media room and into my storage unit. I didn't bother with ISO rips and all the cr*p you never watch. I just did main feature extractions. Again, you get what's on the disc. However, mpeg2 encoded video is very inefficient. So I then transcoded all the main feature extractions to H.264. By doing so, I could achieve DVD (cr*p) quality with considerably less disk space. (If you have lots of letterboxed DVDs you also don't need to encode the black bars which saves even more space. You also don't need to save audio tracks, e.g. different languages, that you don't want.) Handbrake can handle the transcoding. (Let me know if you want the settings I used and I can try to dig them out. I did all this a year or so ago.)

My intent is to rip just my favorite concert DVDs / BRs - the stuff I actually watch. Classic movies (Godfather etc.) I occasionally rewatch I am not going to bother. Most of my movie watching are rented from Netflix one offs.
post #273 of 805 Old 08-21-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

I do care about noise but all projectors have fans so there is not going to be a fanless environment no matter what path I take, like the Lumagen.
This is actually one of the things which has prevented me from buying another projector since moving. I've seen builds which place the projector in another room and use port glass, but I'm not convinced that it will block out the noise, or have suitable image quality. (anything you place in front of the lens is going to have adverse effects) I don't really have a good location where it is acceptable to have a projector running on the other side of the wall either. I've also been waiting on solid state lighting, but the manufacturers seem to be dragging their feet when it comes to reasonably priced solid-state projection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Audiophiles need something to obsess about like NO noise and fanless. But it's silly when you think about it because you still have to breathe and human breathing is around 10db. There are fans that quiet.
If something has a fan in it, I will hear it - and I don't want that in my room. For me, it's not about harming audio quality.
Quote:

As for DVD rips, I almost can't bear to watch NTSC 480i anymore. PAL 520i is a bit better but so not worth it. If I really like the movie, I just buy the Blu Ray and plonk the disc in the Oppo.
You really need to check out madVR then. Personally, the thing that bothers me the most about DVDs is that they are encoded with MPEG2 and often with a bad encoder, so they are sharpened and are full of compression artifacts. Using SoftCubic 80 gives you a nice smooth picture that hides a lot of them. It's soft, but doesn't actually blur details, and you quickly adjust.
Quote:

So I then transcoded all the main feature extractions to H.264.
Well there's your problem. DVDs are typically only 3-5GB for the main feature, which is small enough. If you are re-encoding them, you will always lose quality.
post #274 of 805 Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I wonder if using a wireless HDMI transmitter would improve audio quality for multi-channel from my custom Media Server PC to my Theta CB3 HD SSP? HA!

http://www.hometheater.com/content/iogear-puts-wireless-hdmi-matrix

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #275 of 805 Old 08-22-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

If something has a fan in it, I will hear it - and I don't want that in my room. For me, it's not about harming audio quality.
So you can hear human breathing? Because your hearing acuity would have to be that good to hear all fans. Have to hold your breath while you are listening smile.gif .

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #276 of 805 Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

I wonder if using a wireless HDMI transmitter would improve audio quality for multi-channel from my custom Media Server PC to my Theta CB3 HD SSP? HA!

http://www.hometheater.com/content/iogear-puts-wireless-hdmi-matrix
Steve, don't even go there, wireless that is. Norm
post #277 of 805 Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

yep. I removed the wifi mSATA card from my board.

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #278 of 805 Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

Steve, don't even go there, wireless that is. Norm

You took me seriously???

I wonder how many years before everything is wireless and cable manufacturers are out of business???eek.gif

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #279 of 805 Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

yep. I removed the wifi mSATA card from my board.

My Media Server only has the wired Ethernet - Andrew at Small Green Computer advised not to include a wireless card because of the electrical noise that it adds.

post #280 of 805 Old 08-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

You took me seriously???

I wonder how many years before everything is wireless and cable manufacturers are out of business???eek.gif

What makes you think they won't be selling audiophile grade air filled tubes for improved wireless pace rhythm and timing ??
post #281 of 805 Old 08-25-2013, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

What makes you think they won't be selling audiophile grade air filled tubes for improved wireless pace rhythm and timing ??

Mebbe they will - but what makes you think i'll live that long? LOL!biggrin.gif

post #282 of 805 Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

This linear supply is huge compared to digital power supplies of the same size. http://www.teradak.com/en/product_view.asp?ID=214 Still I admit to being intrigued by it. $1350 plus shipping and 6% paypal fee from Taiwan.

post #283 of 805 Old 10-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Switching supplies aren't digital, they are still an analog system.
post #284 of 805 Old 10-07-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

Switching supplies aren't digital, they are still an analog system.
Yeah yeah, I know. Here's some more information spec_v05.pdf 242k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf spec_v05.pdf (242.5 KB, 11 views)

post #285 of 805 Old 10-10-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting new Bryston BUC USB converter, http://www.bryston.com/PDF/brochures/BUC1_BROCHURE.pdf Notice the linear power supply. I believe the price is about $750 or so retail.

post #286 of 805 Old 10-16-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

By the way, the "bug" in using JRiver with the CB3 HD, HDMI from PC to CB3 HD, is as follows:

In JRiver "Options" menu, if you specify the channels are the same as the source; then the CB3 HD doesn't show the incoming
audio as LPCM (if 2 channel) or multichannel LPCM (if multichannel), but if you have the CB3 HD input set to an audio mode for two channel,
you will hear sound in 2 channel only, but if you have the CB3 HD input set to an audio mode for multichannel sound, then you will hear sound in multichannel.

However, if in the JRiver menu you specify channels as either 2.0 or 5.1, then the CB3 HD LCD display will show it is receiving a
LPCM or multichannel LPCM audio signal.

post #287 of 805 Old 10-16-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mebbe this is new with JRiver Media Center 19, or perhaps it was in 18 and I just didn't "see" it?

My custom media server as set up outputs audio two ways: (1) Stereo: SOTM USB card into Berkeley Audio USB converter, into Gen VIII Series 3 DAC; abd (2) Multichannel (or stereo): HDMI out into CB3 HD SSP.

Previously, in order to change from #1 to #2, I had to turn off the SOTM USB card (the little switch on the back of the PC) or simply pull the USB cable a bit out of the connection, and ensure the HDMI cable was properly fully inserted;

and in order to change from #2 to #1, I had to turn on the SOTM USB card and make sure the USB cable was fully inserted, and pull the HDMI cable a bit out of the connection.

Now, with Media Center 19, I have setup one Zone for "2 Channel (USB)", and another Zone for "Multichannel (HDMI)". The SOTM USB card power remains on, the USB cable remains fully inserted, and the HDMI cable remains fully inserted.

I simply switch in JRiver from one zone to another as needed. That's it!!!@@@

Also, on my iPad3 for JRemote, at the bottom left corner of the screen, I can also switch zones.

COOL!

post #288 of 805 Old 10-16-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mebbe this is new with JRiver Media Center 19, or perhaps it was in 18 and I just didn't "see" it?

My custom media server as set up outputs audio two ways: (1) Stereo: SOTM USB card into Berkeley Audio USB converter, into Gen VIII Series 3 DAC; abd (2) Multichannel (or stereo): HDMI out into CB3 HD SSP.

Previously, in order to change from #1 to #2, I had to turn off the SOTM USB card (the little switch on the back of the PC) or simply pull the USB cable a bit out of the connection, and ensure the HDMI cable was properly fully inserted;

and in order to change from #2 to #1, I had to turn on the SOTM USB card and make sure the USB cable was fully inserted, and pull the HDMI cable a bit out of the connection.

Now, with Media Center 19, I have setup one Zone for "2 Channel (USB)", and another Zone for "Multichannel (HDMI)". The SOTM USB card power remains on, the USB cable remains fully inserted, and the HDMI cable remains fully inserted.

I simply switch in JRiver from one zone to another as needed. That's it!!!@@@

Also, on my iPad3 for JRemote, at the bottom left corner of the screen, I can also switch zones.

COOL!

I believe Jriver 18 works the same way. At least this is how I switched between SotM USB and Lynx MCH - never touched a cable.
post #289 of 805 Old 10-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Yes MC18 works in this way. You can make it even more clever by turning on ZoneSwitch and setting it up so it switches to the Multichannel Zone when channel count is over 2 and to the 2 Channel Zone when channel count is 2 or under

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #290 of 805 Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

By the way, the "bug" in using JRiver with the CB3 HD, HDMI from PC to CB3 HD, is as follows:

In JRiver "Options" menu, if you specify the channels are the same as the source; then the CB3 HD doesn't show the incoming
audio as LPCM (if 2 channel) or multichannel LPCM (if multichannel), but if you have the CB3 HD input set to an audio mode for two channel,
you will hear sound in 2 channel only, but if you have the CB3 HD input set to an audio mode for multichannel sound, then you will hear sound in multichannel.

However, if in the JRiver menu you specify channels as either 2.0 or 5.1, then the CB3 HD LCD display will show it is receiving a
LPCM or multichannel LPCM audio signal.

Not a bug with JRiver. Applies to any multichannel LPCM source to the Casablanca

post #291 of 805 Old 10-16-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not a bug with JRiver. Applies to any multichannel LPCM source to the Casablanca

How do you determine that its the CB3 HD with the "bug", or JRiver with the "bug"? Won't all the SSPs that use the HDMI card hardwavre/software from the same vendor have this same attribute or "bug"? Of course, lets get the "bug" corrected by whoever so that JRiver when set to the source # of channels inputs via HDMI into the CB3 HD SSP as LPCM or multichannel LPCM.

post #292 of 805 Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Each time someone posts on this thread I bang my head about not getting Dirac and my Lynx card to work in my HTPC. Still spinning discs for all MCH in the Oppo..... Incredibly frustrating.... May be I should rip the Lynx card out of my HTPC and stick it the CAPS 2.0 I still have collecting dust and see what happens....
post #293 of 805 Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

Each time someone posts on this thread I bang my head about not getting Dirac and my Lynx card to work in my HTPC. Still spinning discs for all MCH in the Oppo..... Incredibly frustrating.... May be I should rip the Lynx card out of my HTPC and stick it the CAPS 2.0 I still have collecting dust and see what happens....

Do any of the very expensive "private label" PC media servers out there have HDMI out that plays multichannel via HDMI into a SSP whether Theta or any other brand? Heck if I know. You might? Its clear that for two channel PC USB out is overall the best sonic path.

post #294 of 805 Old 10-16-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do any of the very expensive "private label" PC media servers out there have HDMI out that plays multichannel via HDMI into a SSP whether Theta or any other brand? Heck if I know. You might? Its clear that for two channel PC USB out is overall the best sonic path.

Yes, the $4500 Music Vault Diamond delivers the goods. The guy selling these (Neal van Berg) is actually very helpful and has bend over backwards trying to get Dirac to work on my machine (to no avail unfortunatley).

http://www.musicvaultcat.com/MVDiamond.html
post #295 of 805 Old 10-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How do you determine that its the CB3 HD with the "bug", or JRiver with the "bug"? Won't all the SSPs that use the HDMI card hardwavre/software from the same vendor have this same attribute or "bug"? Of course, lets get the "bug" corrected by whoever so that JRiver when set to the source # of channels inputs via HDMI into the CB3 HD SSP as LPCM or multichannel LPCM.

Put a multichannel SACD into your Oppo/Compli and set the Casablanca to two channel mode. Hit play. The Casablanca receives and recognises 5.1 multichannel LPCM but doesn't think to switch the mode to a multichannel one. (We discussed this ages ago.)

post #296 of 805 Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Brings up another question I had: anyone ever tried the "Baetis" media server?

I was looking at/talking to them about 1.5 years ago. Looks like they've stuck around.

http://www.baetisaudio.com/
post #297 of 805 Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Best check again after Jitter Jail II !!

And don't forget the Bryston was a very basic implementation of SPDIF/AES-EBU out. They didn't do anything to upgrade the Juli@ card and were using the old version at that.

post #298 of 805 Old 10-17-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Put a multichannel SACD into your Oppo/Compli and set the Casablanca to two channel mode. Hit play. The Casablanca receives and recognises 5.1 multichannel LPCM but doesn't think to switch the mode to a multichannel one. (We discussed this ages ago.)

Ah - I setup separate sources/inputs for my CB3 HD for stereo and multichannel, so I never "saw" this!@@@ Its a "bug" that doesn't bother one when using the CB3 HD's inherent flexible setup!@@biggrin.gif

post #299 of 805 Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777BigAnt777 View Post

Brings up another question I had: anyone ever tried the "Baetis" media server?

I was looking at/talking to them about 1.5 years ago. Looks like they've stuck around.

http://www.baetisaudio.com/

Nope! Believe it or not, don't have time, interest, money to try everything out there!@@ Even Edorr can't try everything - and he tried a good amount more stuff than me!

post #300 of 805 Old 10-17-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Best check again after Jitter Jail II !!

And don't forget the Bryston was a very basic implementation of SPDIF/AES-EBU out. They didn't do anything to upgrade the Juli@ card and were using the old version at that.

Actually, read an interview with Jim Tanner and I recall he stated that Bryston modded the Juli@ card some.

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page