Spec an Audiophile PC With Me Using CAPS 3.0 as a Starting Point, Adding HDMI for Multi-Channel Hi Rez Audio!!! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 840 Old 11-06-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
http://www.audiostream.com/content/sotm-tx-usbexp-audiophile-pcie-usb-audio-card-and-mbps-d2s-intelligent-battery-power-supply

Above is the link to a review of the SOTM USB card I have in my media server and how it gives much better sound than the standard USB port, per the reviewer of course in his system.

However, the reviewer mentions also that "you could also get an external USB-S/PDIF converter for the same money or less than the SOtM USB card that can also effectively isolate your DAC from your computer's internal noise (see USB - S/PDIF Converter reviews)." So maybe I didn't need this card as Steve Kale said. Or maybe using this card gives me even better isolation and better sound than simply using the Berkeley Audio USB Converter? Heck if I know.

Also reviewed is SOTM's $400 intelligent battery power supply which can be used to power the SOTM USB card.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 840 Old 11-07-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Heck if I know

Test it. Unplug the SOTM Card and direct the sound out of one of the mobo's USB slots.

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #363 of 840 Old 11-07-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

http://www.audiostream.com/content/sotm-tx-usbexp-audiophile-pcie-usb-audio-card-and-mbps-d2s-intelligent-battery-power-supply

Above is the link to a review of the SOTM USB card I have in my media server and how it gives much better sound than the standard USB port, per the reviewer of course in his system.

However, the reviewer mentions also that "you could also get an external USB-S/PDIF converter for the same money or less than the SOtM USB card that can also effectively isolate your DAC from your computer's internal noise (see USB - S/PDIF Converter reviews)." So maybe I didn't need this card as Steve Kale said. Or maybe using this card gives me even better isolation and better sound than simply using the Berkeley Audio USB Converter? Heck if I know.

Also reviewed is SOTM's $400 intelligent battery power supply which can be used to power the SOTM USB card.

FWIW, I have temporarily switched back to my CAPS 2.0 while the CAPS 3.0 is out with a "fixer". While I do have a SotM card (prior model) in the CAPS 2.0, is has no battery power. For a conclusive assessment I would need detailed side by side comparison (which I have no intention of doing), but I can safely say the differences are subtle at best and possibly non existent. This is feeding USB directly into my DAC.

So far the $5K sunk into the CAPS 3.0 MCH version + battery has been my worse investment in audio this year. All this could change immediately, if it comes back working OK with Dirac, making my modded Oppo and Trinnov processor obsolete for MCH (which is why I bought it in the first place).
post #364 of 840 Old 11-07-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

FWIW, I have temporarily switched back to my CAPS 2.0 while the CAPS 3.0 is out with a "fixer". While I do have a SotM card (prior model) in the CAPS 2.0, is has no battery power. For a conclusive assessment I would need detailed side by side comparison (which I have no intention of doing), but I can safely say the differences are subtle at best and possibly non existent. This is feeding USB directly into my DAC.

So far the $5K sunk into the CAPS 3.0 MCH version + battery has been my worse investment in audio this year. All this could change immediately, if it comes back working OK with Dirac, making my modded Oppo and Trinnov processor obsolete for MCH (which is why I bought it in the first place).
Quote:
From the SOTM review in Audiostream:

Listening to a PCIe to USB Card
Listening to a PCIe to USB card is easy. Or I should say comparing the SOtM PCIe to USB card to my PC's crappy integrated USB output was easy. A) listen, swap to B) listen some more. There was literally no contest between the two. The SOtM card was able to pull more musical information out of my PC as compared to the internal USB port. Music was at once more concise, more textured, more tonally colored, and more resolute with a bigger sound picture that was much easier to follow individual instruments within. In other words, the SOtM PCIe to USB card is all good.

This is hilarious!

Let's see, I'm supposed to consciously swap between this expensive new USB card I just bought and the stock motherboard USB port. Wow, I hear differences! This is a classic case for a DBT!

I fail to see any way this card can do what is claimed above. I will agree that if there is a lot of noise riding on the USB data, it could be coupled to the DAC as EMI/RFI. But the actual level would be very far down, likely over 100db. Possibly audible with headphones. But these other subjective claims simply can't happen with a USB audio interface. Noise cause clock jitter in the DAC is also a possibility resulting in other distortions, albiet still very low in level.

Let's see some FFT plots of this card against the stock USB port through a DAC of choice.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #365 of 840 Old 11-07-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

This is hilarious!

Let's see, I'm supposed to consciously swap between this expensive new USB card I just bought and the stock motherboard USB port. Wow, I hear differences! This is a classic case for a DBT!

I fail to see any way this card can do what is claimed above. I will agree that if there is a lot of noise riding on the USB data, it could be coupled to the DAC as EMI/RFI. But the actual level would be very far down, likely over 100db. Possibly audible with headphones. But these other subjective claims simply can't happen with a USB audio interface. Noise cause clock jitter in the DAC is also a possibility resulting in other distortions, albiet still very low in level.

Let's see some FFT plots of this card against the stock USB port through a DAC of choice.

Difference between the 2 cards (one with and one without battery power) are minimal (or none existent) in my experience. the downstream isolation may also play a role. I deliberately never compared my SotM card with the stock USB port, least of all double blind. I'm would need the value of 10 SotM cards worth of counseling to get over the shock if I could not pick the winner. I'm not risking it smile.gif
post #366 of 840 Old 11-26-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I just added the SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply to power the SOtM tX-USBexp card of my custom Media Server.

I know that some will say this is redundant, that I don't need the SOtM tX-USBexp or the SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply because I am using the Berkeley Audio Alpha USB converter.

The Berkeley has its own independent power supply for its reclocking and depends on the incoming USB cable for its power, from the USB card of the Media Server.

The SOtM USBexp card in the Media Server is powered by the same power that goes into the Media Server, except if you connect the SOtM battery power supply,
then the SOtM USBexp card automatically switches to the battery power.

Over at the Computer Audiophile forum, some audiophiles have "observed" better sonics using the Red Wine battery power supply, and the SOtM battery power supply at only $420 is about 1/3 the cost of the Red Wine so I figured, heck, why not?

The SOtM battery power supply has a front switch to turn it on and off - must be in on position for it work. If its in off position, then the USBexp card works off the same power that
goes into the Media Server.

Mebbe I am being redundant with both the Berkeley and the SOtM USBexp card and battery power supply. I would rather call it cautious. :DBut it sure sounds good!biggrin.gif

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #367 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I've been doing a bit of testing/demoing lately. This is important because my demoing emphasizes that along with your Theta CB3 HD or Theta CB4, be sure all digital audio or video cables, including HDMI and including USB, are at least 1.5M long. This is the minimum length that you want to use to avoid reflections in the cable that can cause issues with HDMI/video or with digital audio.

Keep in mind prior discussion that reputable engineering sources - Amir, Berkeley Audio and Patrick Harkins of Lumagen - all recommend minimum 6 foot or 1.5M (which is about 5 feet) digital cables (audio or video use) to avoid reflections.

First, for multichannel hi rez audio from my media server to the CB3 HD: Using a 1M HDMI cable (tried a PS Audio silver one and also Blue Jeans Cable, their thicker HDMI cable) vs a 6 foot HDMI cable, from media server to CB3 HD: The 6 foot cable sounds really good, the music has "soul" and is "lively" with great bass. The 1M cables sound flat in comparison.

Second, for USB audio stereo from my media server SOTM USB.exp card to the Berkeley Audio USB (to digital) converter: Using Straight Wire USB cables. 1.5M vs 2M. Initially, where I had placed the Berkeley required a 2M USB cable. I was able to move the Berkeley to use a 1.5M USB cable. Now don't ge tme wrong, the 2M USB cable sounds great! But I think the 1.5M cable sounds a bit better - for example, the highs on Shelby Lynn's 2008 ripped SACD ISO file played at 176-24 sound a bit even more natural.

As for the SOTM battery power supply which I now use solely to power the AOTM USB.exp card: I've simply been using this for the above demo. The battery power supply has a switch to turn it off and on. If you turn it off, then the PC's power simply automatically steps in to provide the power to the SOTM USB.exp card. At some point soon I will be demoing using the PC power vs using the battery power supply on stereo.

post #368 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Long cables suffer from MORE problematic signal reflections. There is a reason to have a minimal cable length but it isn't as simple as naming reflections.
post #369 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been doing a bit of testing/demoing lately. This is important because my demoing emphasizes that along with your Theta CB3 HD or Theta CB4, be sure all digital audio or video cables, including HDMI and including USB, are at least 1.5M long. This is the minimum length that you want to use to avoid reflections in the cable that can cause issues with HDMI/video or with digital audio.

Keep in mind prior discussion that reputable engineering sources - Amir, Berkeley Audio and Patrick Harkins of Lumagen - all recommend minimum 6 foot or 1.5M (which is about 5 feet) digital cables (audio or video use) to avoid reflections.

Yes and it has also been explained by other accredited EE's that is only a problem if your interface circuits are poorly designed. The real world does not stress over 1.5m digital cables. And another thing: SPDIF at 48K has an equivalent clock rate of 6mhz. HDMI is anywhere from 74mhz to about 150mhz depending on the frame/pixel rates. That's quite a difference and since the propagation is directly related to the speed of light, how can both these interfaces come out to exactly 1.5m as the magic number? I know both your references would agree with me as well. They are just trying to keep it simple for the masses but you are taking this issue way out of context.
Quote:
Now don't ge tme wrong, the 2M USB cable sounds great! But I think the 1.5M cable sounds a bit better - for example, the highs on Shelby Lynn's 2008 ripped SACD ISO file played at 176-24 sound a bit even more natural.

This is clearly placebo effect. If there were data errors from the cable, they would not manifest themselves as dulled highs. That is not possible in this world of physics.

Stop spreading this bunk! While digital signals are in fact analog electrical signals, the information being transferred is not in an analog form. Errors and failures in digital systems do not relate at all to the reproduction deficiency's in analog systems.

You money braggers are suffering a bit of withdraw symptoms these days! As the hobby moves to all digital interconnect you just can't accept the fact that a cable in this case really cannot make subtle differences. Cable differences are more difficult to dispute in analog systems but in digital systems, it's really quite simple.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #370 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

I am an analog RF CMOS designer at a Serdes company ... I only say that to further convey that at high speed even digital signals are treated as analog. Saying they are poorly designed because they need a minimum cable length is unfair. Even our products that are state of the art will almost always need some cable length to hit things like return loss smile.gif

P.S. Interesting thread, I have been following closely as I will be building my first HTPC in a few months.
post #371 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

I am an analog RF CMOS designer at a Serdes company ... I only say that to further convey that at high speed even digital signals are treated as analog. Saying they are poorly designed because they need a minimum cable length is unfair. Even our products that are state of the art will almost always need some cable length to hit things like return loss smile.gif

P.S. Interesting thread, I have been following closely as I will be building my first HTPC in a few months.

SPDIF is not high speed in today's technology. I'll agree with you for HDMI. All so called "digital" signals are in fact analog voltages - always were. But there is no reason today (and 20 years ago for that matter) that a clean 75ohm impedance matched SPDIF driver couldn't be designed to be insensitive to minimum cable length. And most aren't in mainstream audio gear including the $300 Denon receiver. It's these esoteric products designed by music lovers rather than electrical engineers that have these problems. Remember that analog video was 75ohm impedance since the dawn of television. And being a 10mhz max analog signal, cable impedance mismatch would certianly cause visible ringing even on consumer displays. We knew how to build proper circuits even in the tube days. So now all of a sudden the industry has forgotten how to drive 75ohm cables?

I'm really getting tired of all this audiophile FUD surrounding digital audio on the consumer side. We have been running DSP based all digital audio systems since the early 1990s in the broadcast industry. This is not new technology by any means. These FUD mongers are looking for and finding problems in the -140db plus range. That's silly if you understand the technology. This is entertainment electronics gear for Pete's sake!

Yes I am trained as an RF engineer in the early 1980s. I know all about these problems and have successfully applied them to high speed digital video circuit and systems design over the years.

Here's one for you: Skilled wiring technicians pride themselves in making cable looms that are perfectly aligned and the ty-raps spaced evenly about 6 inches along the cable loom. With today's broadcast video systems being certified at 3bgs, I no longer allow that practice. I insist the wiring crews randomly space the ty-raps by an inch or two along the cable bundle. I bet you know why and it's directly related to the issue in this post. But again that's at 3gbs or 1.5ghz. I don't require this practice with AES audio cabling which is basically the same as SPDIF, exactly the same for this argument . Again you know why.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #372 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes and it has also been explained by other accredited EE's that is only a problem if your interface circuits are poorly designed. The real world does not stress over 1.5m digital cables. And another thing: SPDIF at 48K has an equivalent clock rate of 6mhz. HDMI is anywhere from 74mhz to about 150mhz depending on the frame/pixel rates. That's quite a difference and since the propagation is directly related to the speed of light, how can both these interfaces come out to exactly 1.5m as the magic number? I know both your references would agree with me as well. They are just trying to keep it simple for the masses but you are taking this issue way out of context.
This is clearly placebo effect. If there were data errors from the cable, they would not manifest themselves as dulled highs. That is not possible in this world of physics.

Stop spreading this bunk! While digital signals are in fact analog electrical signals, the information being transferred is not in an analog form. Errors and failures in digital systems do not relate at all to the reproduction deficiency's in analog systems.

You money braggers are suffering a bit of withdraw symptoms these days! As the hobby moves to all digital interconnect you just can't accept the fact that a cable in this case really cannot make subtle differences. Cable differences are more difficult to dispute in analog systems but in digital systems, it's really quite simple.

I don't think I am money bragging as Blue Jean HDMI cables are inexpensive as are the StraightWire USB cables!

post #373 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think I am money bragging as Blue Jean HDMI cables are inexpensive as are the StraightWire USB cables!

Touche!

Glimmie's HT Page

post #374 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Steve, I hope you receive this in the spirit it was intended. I just scanned the images of your theater .... great looking setup BTW, and unless I am missing something your room looks like it doesn't have any acoustic treatments. The one thing I love about AVSforum vs the old Hifi forums I use to cruise was that ppl here are as interested in acoustic treatment as much as chasing the latest piece of gear. The room must have the largest impact on sound and yet so often gets overlooked. I have old audiophile friends that would spend large amount of time and money trying out different power cords and yet wouldn't lift a finger to hand a panel on the wall.

Do you not feel your efforts might be better served in treating the room rather than what some of us would perceive as 10th order effects ? :P
post #375 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Steve, I hope you receive this in the spirit it was intended. I just scanned the images of your theater .... great looking setup BTW, and unless I am missing something your room looks like it doesn't have any acoustic treatments. The one thing I love about AVSforum vs the old Hifi forums I use to cruise was that ppl here are as interested in acoustic treatment as much as chasing the latest piece of gear. The room must have the largest impact on sound and yet so often gets overlooked. I have old audiophile friends that would spend large amount of time and money trying out different power cords and yet wouldn't lift a finger to hand a panel on the wall.

Do you not feel your efforts might be better served in treating the room rather than what some of us would perceive as 10th order effects ? :P

I gotta tell you, when I moved from the family room setup in a modern "open floor plan" house to a dedicated controlled room - wow. I sometimes mock these claims in cable posts but the difference here was in fact dramatic, huge,etc. Now I am not an acoustics expert at all. So I researched the field and followed the published science to the best of my financial abilities. I put little stock in audiophile magazines. Room treatment is one of the greatest improvement one can do.

(But I also never doubted the benefits either, just took a while for the motivation and funds to do it)

Glimmie's HT Page

post #376 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My room has a number of room treatments, particularly its dimensions and construction, and a number of Michael Green Pressure Zone controllers. I think if you came out and "heard" my room you'd be quite impressed! Back in 2000 John Gannon, then Stereophile Guide to Home Theater Technical Editor, was quite positively impressed.

If you click at my signature below you can read my lengthy discussion of my room construction, components, Michael Green Pressure Zone Controllers, etc.

I certainly agree with you that room treatments are important. I knew that long before most of those here, as I have had these treatments in my room since it was built
from the ground up back in 1996-1997.

post #377 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Glimmie, I tend to agree with you on digital cables. Which is why I haven't spent that much on them! HA!

Our Az AV Club, years ago, tested a whole bunch of cheap and expensive digital audio cables, many from well known companies.
Most of the cablea objectively measured poorly and thus a cheap but performing per spec Radio Shack digital coaxial cable
would certainly properly and out perform many of the much more expensive digital audio cables.

I have some differences of opinion with you - but I respect you highly. You have put together (literally) a remarkable system for a
remarkably reasonable cost which meets all objective required specs and I'm sure sounds remarkable for its cost.

Re your now going to abandon your tubes - my good friend Lon after years and years has finally had it with tubes, too.
Sound great but the maintenance and repairs just get to be too much! Me, I like hearing tubes as shows and in stereo systems,
but I luv my solid state's systems dynamics and abilities to play soft to loud yet hear and feel more like you are there.
Someday when I move to a smaller home without my dedicated purposely built theater, perhaps I would consider
one home theater system and one stereo system in a different room, and perhaps I might consider tubes.
Though again, I'm getting older, my hip isn't getting any better, and in my future I see that the motto
"KISS" ("Keep It Simple Stupid") will unfortunately become more relevant to my AV hobby.

As for the debate re length of digital audio and video cables - hey, not all components are per spec as they should be, particularly
satellite receivers and cable boxes! I'd rather just play it safe, spend a few more bucks - not a lot more - and avoid hassles.
I don't want to build and test each cable the way you do, Glimmi:De!!

post #378 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Steve good to hear, Ill have some free time this weekend and will read your link rather than skim. I just didn't see any traditional panels or diffusors ...
post #379 of 840 Old 12-12-2013, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Steve good to hear, Ill have some free time this weekend and will read your link rather than skim. I just didn't see any traditional panels or diffusors ...

My Michael Green Pressure Zone Controllers, mounted on wall and ceiling, both absorb and diffuse. There's a tuning bolt on the front for adjustments of absorption vs diffusion. Proper placement and adjustment of the PZCs gives one outstanding room treatment and sonics .

without the detriments of too dead sound for which I Michael with many CEDIA installers.

HFGuy, I really like how your post. You do not assume. You ask questions. Instead of telling me I'm stupid cause you are unaware that I have any room treatment, you ask about this so I can respond. Politeness and tact which is often forgotten on so many internet forums.biggrin.gif

post #380 of 840 Old 12-20-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Something that might be of interest here, is that Gigabyte have recently released a number of motherboards offering a new "USB DAC-UP" feature.
This is a gold-plated USB port which has an isolated power source, and includes the option to completely disable any power going to the port, designed specifically for connecting USB DACs.

It may not be something you want to replace the motherboard for, but I'm definitely going to be choosing a board with this feature when I upgrade my system.
Bulldogger likes this.
post #381 of 840 Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Something that might be of interest here, is that Gigabyte have recently released a number of motherboards offering a new "USB DAC-UP" feature.
This is a gold-plated USB port which has an isolated power source, and includes the option to completely disable any power going to the port, designed specifically for connecting USB DACs.

It may not be something you want to replace the motherboard for, but I'm definitely going to be choosing a board with this feature when I upgrade my system.

I was just reading about that yesterday. Interesting.

I am accomplishing essentially the same thing using the SOTM YSB,exo card which is powered by a SOTM intelligent battery power supply.

post #382 of 840 Old 12-22-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is simply a marketing opportunity thanks to all the audio online forums! Gigabyte will do well with this as will the competition that follows. I will say the isolated power has some merit in keeping noise out of the USB DAC in that the noise can get into the analog section. But the gold plating is useless in this application.

And speaking of gold plating I recently read an article where the lower end consumer gear is not really plated at all. It's called "flashing" which is a very, very, thin gold layer. Proper gold plating requires a nickle base. This flash process apparently does not. So once that flash coating is scraped away after a few plug insertions you have some cheap base metal making the contact. Again with digital interfaces it really makes no difference but it just goes to prove the hype at play here.

Think about it. Look at gold prices. Then look at all the gold plated RCA and USB cables for $10. How can they do that if it's real gold plating on a nickle base. They can't! Flashing uses a miniscule amount of gold yet they can charge twice as much if not more for the "gold" version of a cable that costs pennies to make in China.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #383 of 840 Old 12-22-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is simply a marketing opportunity thanks to all the audio online forums! Gigabyte will do well with this as will the competition that follows. I will say the isolated power has some merit in keeping noise out of the USB DAC in that the noise can get into the analog section. But the gold plating is useless in this application.

And speaking of gold plating I recently read an article where the lower end consumer gear is not really plated at all. It's called "flashing" which is a very, very, thin gold layer. Proper gold plating requires a nickle base. This flash process apparently does not. So once that flash coating is scraped away after a few plug insertions you have some cheap base metal making the contact. Again with digital interfaces it really makes no difference but it just goes to prove the hype at play here.

Think about it. Look at gold prices. Then look at all the gold plated RCA and USB cables for $10. How can they do that if it's real gold plating on a nickle base. They can't! Flashing uses a miniscule amount of gold yet they can charge twice as much if not more for the "gold" version of a cable that costs pennies to make in China.

I personally would never by the Gigabyte board unless it was solid gold and cost at least $10,000 per board. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
Nickle is simply too cheap to use as an undercoat!!@@@@rolleyes.gifeek.gifeek.gifsmile.gif

post #384 of 840 Old 12-23-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:

Oh of course being gold plated is basically meaningless. In theory it provides a more robust connection, but I've never had issues with USB connectors.
It's the isolated power and the ability to turn the power off for that port which is interesting.

I'm not sure I believe it's necessary to have those features, but if I'm buying a new motherboard and it's an option that doesn't cost anything extra (the Gigabyte boards with this feature are very reasonably priced) it will definitely sway my decision towards buying the Gigabyte instead of ASUS or another brand.
post #385 of 840 Old 12-23-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh of course being gold plated is basically meaningless.

The beauty of gold (plated) audio stuff is that as the price of gold increases, your gear becomes better sounding, per the golden rule that "more expensive sounds better" smile.gif
post #386 of 840 Old 12-23-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The beauty of gold (plated) audio stuff is that as the price of gold increases, your gear becomes better sounding, per the golden rule that "more expensive sounds better" smile.gif

"Glimmie" that again???tongue.gif

post #387 of 840 Old 12-23-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course I must disagree on technical grounds that it will sound better. But as the price of gold goes up, your equipment is now worth more. So you can sell it at a profit and finally afford good "Glimmie certified" gear wink.gif

Glimmie's HT Page

post #388 of 840 Old 12-28-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Any news on this front? Also would you remind me what you are doing for storage of your files? NAS? My libary has grown and I"m thinking I need at least 6TB of storage to allow for some room for growth. Right now I am thinking very simple, like four of these in 4TB size http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10554 with their rack http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10076 . Two in use and two for backup. What's a more elegant solution?

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #389 of 840 Old 12-28-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Any news on this front? Also would you remind me what you are doing for storage of your files? NAS? My libary has grown and I"m thinking I need at least 6TB of storage to allow for some room for growth. Right now I am thinking very simple, like four of these in 4TB size http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10554 with their rack http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10076 . Two in use and two for backup. What's a more elegant solution?

My server was diagnosed with defective MOBO and harddrive and was rebuild from the ground up. I should have it back in a week or so. Taken forever. I use USB storage for music (just 500g), and was planning on either NAS (synology) storage or 4TB eSata drive(s) once I start amassing serious data volumes with DVD/BR and SACD rips. I have not found any difference in SQ between storage media so convenience will be my primary decision criteria.
post #390 of 840 Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Just movin' this thread up as an AVS member on another thread is interested in finding this info for his own media server.

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page