Spec an Audiophile PC With Me Using CAPS 3.0 as a Starting Point, Adding HDMI for Multi-Channel Hi Rez Audio!!! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 840 Old 03-12-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

If you need that much storage I would drop it on a NAS and keep the drives well away from the player. I doubt the SoTM card helps with USB in and out sharing the same bus. Have you ever compared USB out of the mobo versus the SoTM?

I have the SotM card and compared USB storage and NAS. I though the USB storage sounded better, but I was probably kidding myself and it is just undistinguishable. In reality a lot of these "difference" are theoretical and not audible. Same with Flac / WAV for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 840 Old 03-12-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

If you need that much storage I would drop it on a NAS and keep the drives well away from the player. I doubt the SoTM card helps with USB in and out sharing the same bus. Have you ever compared USB out of the mobo versus the SoTM?

When you come visit you are welcome to compare the SOTM card to the standard USB output. I am not interested in doing this. I do enough as is!

As for NAS, yea, might still try, but some previous networking has shown issues in network streaming of hi rez audio and video. I've got a BIG house!

post #453 of 840 Old 03-12-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Probably.

Have you compared USB-SoTM versus mobo USB?

If someone can hear the difference between FLAC or ALAC and WAVE or AIFF they have much better ears than me. There are far more important things to focus on than that - like room acoustics.

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #454 of 840 Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruzonsky View Post

When you come visit you are welcome to compare the SOTM card to the standard USB output. I am not interested in doing this. I do enough as is!

As for NAS, yea, might still try, but some previous networking has shown issues in network streaming of hi rez audio and video. I've got a BIG house!

Ok ok

I was against running a NAS because I just didn't want the hassle. But I then needed a backup solution for our home computers and so I took the plunges and got a Synology DS414 and 11TB of disk storage. Wifi doesn't work well in our house (5 floors of Victorian brick). We use power line modems to connect our computers to the internet modem with a couple of wifi points in the house for guest use (if you move about the house you need to reconnect to another wifi hub). I was expecting all sorts of pain streaming but I tested it with video and worked like a charm. For now my music is still on an internal SSD but if I need more space I can just drop files onto a shared folder on the Synology. Worth trying. Just test it with a few files shared from your home computer first. 500 mbps power line adapters are cheap and plug 'n play. (Ethernet from audio pc to power line modem.)

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #455 of 840 Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Ok ok

I was against running a NAS because I just didn't want the hassle. But I then needed a backup solution for our home computers and so I took the plunges and got a Synology DS414 and 11TB of disk storage. Wifi doesn't work well in our house (5 floors of Victorian brick). We use power line modems to connect our computers to the internet modem with a couple of wifi points in the house for guest use (if you move about the house you need to reconnect to another wifi hub). I was expecting all sorts of pain streaming but I tested it with video and worked like a charm. For now my music is still on an internal SSD but if I need more space I can just drop files onto a shared folder on the Synology. Worth trying. Just test it with a few files shared from your home computer first. 500 mbps power line adapters are cheap and plug 'n play. (Ethernet from audio pc to power line modem.)

I have been using some powerline adapters but large home very spread out, still problematic wifi for hi res audio and video even connecting only to the powerline adopters.

Oh well! Doesn't mean I might not try a NAS at some point anyway, with me one never knows!

post #456 of 840 Old 03-12-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

still problematic wifi for hi res audio and video even connecting only to the powerline adopters.

Don't use wifi at all. Computer or NAS connected to power line adapter by ethernet cable. Audio server pc (CAPs or whatever you name it) connected by ethernet cable to power line adapter at other end. 500 mbits is plenty of speed. Hard wires the whole way.

post #457 of 840 Old 03-12-2014, 04:12 PM

Liked: 10
I started this over in the CBIIIHD thread since I thought it might be a Theta EDID issue but it now seems it's an issue with the motherboard in my CAPs PC.

I've recently set up my system for MCH audio playback from a CAPs 3.0 Zuma-like PC I built into my CBIIIHD. I updated the CB firmware with the EDID fix from John at Theta so it's now running v431 and I'm using J.River MC 19. I'm currently using HDMI output from the Intel motherboard into the CB.

When I turn off the CB the PC drops the HDMI and doesn't pick it back up when I turn the CB back on unless I reboot the PC. I'm thinking it's an issue with the way the Intel motherboard handles the CB EDID so I plan on trying HDMI audio from a graphics card instead.

I think I recall reading that an AMD card is preferable to an Nvidia card for audio output. True?

Steve B, I see you have a Sapphire AMD video card for HDMI output. Do you (or anyone else) have any issues with your CBIIIHD not showing after turning the CB off and on?

Got OTA HDTV? Check out my Terrain Mapping thread.
post #458 of 840 Old 03-12-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDougan View Post

I started this over in the CBIIIHD thread since I thought it might be a Theta EDID issue but it now seems it's an issue with the motherboard in my CAPs PC.

I've recently set up my system for MCH audio playback from a CAPs 3.0 Zuma-like PC I built into my CBIIIHD. I updated the CB firmware with the EDID fix from John at Theta so it's now running v431 and I'm using J.River MC 19. I'm currently using HDMI output from the Intel motherboard into the CB.

When I turn off the CB the PC drops the HDMI and doesn't pick it back up when I turn the CB back on unless I reboot the PC. I'm thinking it's an issue with the way the Intel motherboard handles the CB EDID so I plan on trying HDMI audio from a graphics card instead.

I think I recall reading that an AMD card is preferable to an Nvidia card for audio output. True?

Steve B, I see you have a Sapphire AMD video card for HDMI output. Do you (or anyone else) have any issues with your CBIIIHD not showing after turning the CB off and on?

My memory is sort of groggy as its been months now I've been using my custom media server. Lets see if I can remember..

I have both a Toshiba laptop, intel motherboard with HDMI out; and also my home office has a Dell XPS8500 with Intel motherboard and a AMD video card.

Toshiba laptop HDMI into CB3 HD using then JRiverMC 18, I had to use the laptop soundcard settings. It would not do the audio "native" from JRiver.

But my Dell hardtop, HDMI out of AMD video card worked "native" from JRiver like a charm. I could even do "native" 176-24 or 88-24 from JRiver.

This is why I got a larger chassis and the Sapphire video card and a beefier power supply for my custom media server, modifying the CAPS Zuma 3.0.

And works fine, whether the SOTM USB.exp out for stereo, or the video card HDMI out for multi-channel or stereo, to the CB3 HD.

My CB3 HD is on v430. MY now JRiver19 never shows the CB3 under the "audio" settings menu - it shows either an "AMD HR5 card" for HDMI or a "TUB USB"

(I am going from memory, spelling may be bit off) for the USB out (I use a Berkeley Alpha USB converter for stereo).

I have NO issues at all in this setup with the CB3 HD!!!@@@

That's all I can tell ya.

post #459 of 840 Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

I agree the Baetis audio system is overpriced, but the latest generation hardware isn't always the best choice either. It only takes so much CPU power to run JRiver or any other software product. If the older hardware runs the app flawlessly, upgrading to newer hardware just because it's newer may in fact degrade performance. And this plays into the DIY people very well. You can always buy last generation hardware for a highly discounted price when the new stuff comes out. If somebody has proven the application on older hardware I for one am inclined to buy that over unproven new CPU's and motherboards.
The $5K model is using an H87 board with a Haswell CPU, so that's definitely not the reason why the $3K model is still using H77 and Ivy Bridge.
Haswell is pretty much all about efficiency too - lower power consumption and heat output, rather than improving performance.

Unless you have one of the few multichannel USB DACs, if you want to play multichannel SACD it does require quite a bit of CPU power.
If you want the highest quality video playback, the integrated GPU won't do at all - you need a dedicated card.

And Haswell CPUs are certainly not "unproven", nor are they particularly new at this point.
Quote:

Web research indicated potential problems using external USB when using USB audio with a media server. On that basis, I got an external 4TB hard drive both USB 3.0 and eSATA, and was using eSATA. However, I now need even more storage, using also an additional external USB drive. I have found that I assume thanks to the SOTM USB.exp card that I use for USB audio, that using external USB only for both external drives causes no issues or problems at all.
The bandwidth requirements for USB Audio are so small as to be insignificant. It's extremely unlikely for other devices on the same bus to interfere with audio playback.
I prefer 2TB external drives as they don't require an external power supply, unlike the 4TB disks.
Quote:

I have been using some powerline adapters but large home very spread out, still problematic wifi for hi res audio and video even connecting only to the powerline adopters.
Oh well! Doesn't mean I might not try a NAS at some point anyway, with me one never knows!
It amazes me that with all this discussion of esoteric power supplies rather than standard ATX, unproven expensive USB add-in cards etc. that you would use powerline. Powerline adds a huge amount of RF noise to your system.
I am not one for going overboard on the power filtering etc. because good components should be able to deal with that themselves, but I would not consider using powerline networking in my home - that's something which actually is likely to have an effect on certain hardware.
Quote:

Nvidia apparently won't do 88.2kHz or 176.4kHz over HDMI, while AMD will.
If you are playing SACDs, this may be important. Unfortunately, nothing will bitstream DSD over HDMI from a PC. (I prefer converting to PCM rather than bitstream anyway)
post #460 of 840 Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I am not sure what is happening. Was the problem there before the upgrade to v431? I believe Steve Kale is running the same firmware? Big Brother 52 was running that firmware on his CB3HD with a Mac Mini and had no issues. I recently asked him. Steve Kale, I believe is using the HDMI on the motherboard. If it is a hardware issue, you can get a fanless GPU like Steve Bruzonsky is using. The newer AMD GPU is the R9 series. Google, AMD R9 fanless and the results will reveal a couple of options.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #461 of 840 Old 03-13-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes I am using 4.31. The CB is now communicating EDID properly and I am running multichannel out of the motherboard HDMI slot. I also "see" the CB and the MSD cards of the CB when looking at MadVR settings, for example. Don, what do you see in Playback Devices on the PC as you reboot the CB? I use an ASRock motherboard and dumped my earlier Intel board. It is indeed odd that the PC does not re-engage with the CB when it reboots. It may be a "default setting" sort of issue. I hate Windows with a vengeance and so will never profess to be a PC expert but I suspect that's a good place to start troubleshooting.

DSD sounding better than LPCM is a myth.

post #462 of 840 Old 03-13-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

$5k for a model with a Haswell processor? Ha!!

post #463 of 840 Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm officially throwing in the towel. My machine is back with 3rd new motherboard and video is still not working - completely out of synch with audio, and stuttering. Even the audio has problems again on blu ray. I suspect the issue is I probably have a 3rd generation i7 processor (pre Haswell) and the video processing is just not good enough.

So for now, I'll stick with playing ISO rips on my modded Oppo 93. I will probably be able to free up one expansion slot on the machine due to some configuration changes I am exploring. At this point I can add a low power video card and see if this solves my problem. For now, this machine is audio only. Hopefully will be doing a Dirac calibration this week end.
post #464 of 840 Old 03-13-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

I'm officially throwing in the towel. My machine is back with 3rd new motherboard and video is still not working - completely out of synch with audio, and stuttering. Even the audio has problems again on blu ray. I suspect the issue is I probably have a 3rd generation i7 processor (pre Haswell) and the video processing is just not good enough.
Are you using JRiver? If you ask on their forums, they will be able to help you out.

A 3rd generation i7 (Ivy Bridge?) should have no problem with Blu-ray playback. You may have to change the settings to get madVR (Red October HQ) working, but there are many people using them.

This is a configuration issue, not a hardware one.
post #465 of 840 Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Are you using JRiver? If you ask on their forums, they will be able to help you out.

A 3rd generation i7 (Ivy Bridge?) should have no problem with Blu-ray playback. You may have to change the settings to get madVR (Red October HQ) working, but there are many people using them.

Tried all the forums, changed JRiver settings etc. Can't get it to work. Problem happened with other playback programs as well - not just Jriver. I'm done - back to enjoying content rather than wrestling with technology. Oppo 93/Vanity works OK. Only drawback is I cannot apply Dirac for Blu Ray. I'll figure out a solution eventually.
post #466 of 840 Old 03-13-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

ASRock Z87E-ITX and Haswell i5 4570T or if you prefer i7 4765T - both 35 TDP processors - and you'll be up and running in a flash.

post #467 of 840 Old 03-13-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tried all the forums, changed JRiver settings etc. Can't get it to work. Problem happened with other playback programs as well - not just Jriver. I'm done - back to enjoying content rather than wrestling with technology. Oppo 93/Vanity works OK. Only drawback is I cannot apply Dirac for Blu Ray. I'll figure out a solution eventually.
I'm sorry to hear that - you really shouldn't be having any difficulty playing Blu-ray on an Ivy Bridge system, and with one or two really quick tweaks, you should be able to get it running perfectly smoothly with madVR too.

If you run %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins\madvr\restore default settings.bat (copy and paste that into the Windows "run" dialog Win+R) it will reset your madVR settings to the defaults in case anything you have changed is causing problems for playback.

But you would be better served asking for help over there as there are a lot of people already using Ivy Bridge hardware (even NUCs) for video playback with it.
It should not be a difficult problem to solve.
post #468 of 840 Old 03-13-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that - you really shouldn't be having any difficulty playing Blu-ray on an Ivy Bridge system, and with one or two really quick tweaks, you should be able to get it running perfectly smoothly with madVR too.

If you run %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins\madvr\restore default settings.bat (copy and paste that into the Windows "run" dialog Win+R) it will reset your madVR settings to the defaults in case anything you have changed is causing problems for playback.

But you would be better served asking for help over there as there are a lot of people already using Ivy Bridge hardware (even NUCs) for video playback with it.

Thanks. I'll try. Come to think of it, I may have been messing with my video setting in Jriver in a (failed) attempt to get it to work with my old mother board, and a reset is a good idea.
post #469 of 840 Old 03-13-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tried it. No joy. No worries. I'll play from the Oppo for a while and revisit my strategy.
post #470 of 840 Old 03-15-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's exactly what it is. Using the C.A.P.S as basis for a server for video does not really work. I know, there are not any other good starting places because no one is taking sonics into consideration when they design servers to do video well. Your CPU, the I7 is likely fine for video but you need a decent GPU. The fanless one that Steve is using would scape you by but it would not be my choice for any real video processing. Steve has a Lumagen which is why he can get away with the low powered card like that and why I recommended it to him. Right now though, Steve is not using the server for video which is why the GPU he is using has not been a factor for video. The higher setting for Jriver will not run well on the low powered GPU. You can do blu ray but it depends on whether you are scaling the video and whether it is interlaced. For example, I have not any problem playing the Santana's Greatest Hits with my I7, third generation Laptop but the iGPU will not handle "Celine Dion Live." With the Celine Dion blu ray, it get stuttering of video and MAJOR lip sync, delayed audio. This is a GPU issue. The video can not be processed fast enough to keep up with the audio.

If you are using the Streacom FC10, I think you can squeeze a low profile fanless card like Steve is using in the case.http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWERCOLOR-AX7750-1GBD5-NH-FANLESS-1GB-VIDEO-GRAPHICS-CARD-ATI-RADEON-AMD-/141189796338?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item20df9151f2 It depends on which motherboard you chose. The ones that C.A.P.S uses were not selected to have a lot of options for expansion. The MOB is a small one selected to have low power and good sonics for audio.

post #471 of 840 Old 03-15-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tried it. No joy. No worries. I'll play from the Oppo for a while and revisit my strategy.
Red October standard should work for most blu ray. Make sure you are not using the same blu ray to test. Some may play well while other will not.

post #472 of 840 Old 03-16-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

That's exactly what it is. Using the C.A.P.S as basis for a server for video does not really work. I know, there are not any other good starting places because no one is taking sonics into consideration when they design servers to do video well. Your CPU, the I7 is likely fine for video but you need a decent GPU. The fanless one that Steve is using would scape you by but it would not be my choice for any real video processing. Steve has a Lumagen which is why he can get away with the low powered card like that and why I recommended it to him. Right now though, Steve is not using the server for video which is why the GPU he is using has not been a factor for video. The higher setting for Jriver will not run well on the low powered GPU. You can do blu ray but it depends on whether you are scaling the video and whether it is interlaced. For example, I have not any problem playing the Santana's Greatest Hits with my I7, third generation Laptop but the iGPU will not handle "Celine Dion Live." With the Celine Dion blu ray, it get stuttering of video and MAJOR lip sync, delayed audio. This is a GPU issue. The video can not be processed fast enough to keep up with the audio.

If you are using the Streacom FC10, I think you can squeeze a low profile fanless card like Steve is using in the case.http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWERCOLOR-AX7750-1GBD5-NH-FANLESS-1GB-VIDEO-GRAPHICS-CARD-ATI-RADEON-AMD-/141189796338?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item20df9151f2 It depends on which motherboard you chose. The ones that C.A.P.S uses were not selected to have a lot of options for expansion. The MOB is a small one selected to have low power and good sonics for audio.

The streacom FC10 has a 160w powersupply max. This effectively rules out a GPU. I have given up on video with this machine.
post #473 of 840 Old 03-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

That's exactly what it is. Using the C.A.P.S as basis for a server for video does not really work.

Hogwash. The machine I built is based on CAPS server, uses same Intel mobo and i7 processor. ALSO it is not Haswell, it is the prev. generation. I can play back blurays with Red October HQ zero issue. There was a little tweaking of MADVR settings required because on some MADVR settings with ROHQ it DOES stutter. Also at least on my machine I need to add 320ms of audio delay to sync with video when playing back at 24FPS. For some unknown reason no delay is necessary with 60FPS. It may well be my PJ not passing back auto lip sync for 24FPS, have not investigated any further. There is a test pattern on the Disney WOW disc that enables you to sync it. Looks just as good as an Oppo to me. I guess it's more a case of some mobos work, some don't. I think Edorr is running a different mobo? Sure I am running my HTPC into a Lumagen, but that's for color cube calibration. The Lumagen isn't doing anything other than that.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #474 of 840 Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

Hogwash. The machine I built is based on CAPS server, uses same Intel mobo and i7 processor. ALSO it is not Haswell, it is the prev. generation. I can play back blurays with Red October HQ zero issue. There was a little tweaking of MADVR settings required because on some MADVR settings with ROHQ it DOES stutter. .
It does indeed STUTTER. By the "some tweaking" you mean running at lesser settings than the "stock" setting that comes with Jriver? The minute you "dumbed it down," it was not full ROHQ. Also this is a WAY over-simplification. Interlaced video is a factor and so the resolution of your display and what resolution you are scaling from and to. If guys use CAPS as basis to build a server for video it's going to WAY under perform for video. No way a CAPS based machinge can match Oppo and I don't own one. You credibility will be quickly judged by anyone with one of the current generations Oppo. You have to be blind to think an i7 with iGPU running Red October with dumbed down settings matches an Oppo. I mean I can't even believe you posted that.

The reason you are seeing difference between 24fps and 60fps is likely because of the difference between the source and the native display rate of your projector. Here is another issue http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162318 . It's GPU dependent in some cases. Here's some more discussion. I highly doubt it will be any help to you as your I7 onboard GPU will not be powerful enough to help you use those changes http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78386.0

post #475 of 840 Old 03-19-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:

This is why I got a larger chassis and the Sapphire video card and a beefier power supply for my custom media server, modifying the CAPS Zuma 3.0.
And works fine, whether the SOTM USB.exp out for stereo, or the video card HDMI out for multi-channel or stereo, to the CB3 HD.

My CB3 HD is on v430. MY now JRiver19 never shows the CB3 under the "audio" settings menu - it shows either an "AMD HR5 card" for HDMI or a "TUB USB"
(I am going from memory, spelling may be bit off) for the USB out (I use a Berkeley Alpha USB converter for stereo).

Hey, Steve - I think the right choice for me is to go with seperate audio and video PCs. A smaller chassis, low power, heat pipe cooler Zuma-like one for 2 channel, multichannel, ripped SACDs, etc and a bigger chassis with a bigger (noisier) GPU and PSU for movies which will get me the best out of MadVR. I don't have a seperate video processor. J River will see the CB as Theta 41 until I power cycle the CB.

Quote:

Nvidia apparently won't do 88.2kHz or 176.4kHz over HDMI, while AMD will.
If you are playing SACDs, this may be important. Unfortunately, nothing will bitstream DSD over HDMI from a PC. (I prefer converting to PCM rather than bitstream anyway)

Thanks!

Quote:

I am not sure what is happening. Was the problem there before the upgrade to v431? I believe Steve Kale is running the same firmware? Big Brother 52 was running that firmware on his CB3HD with a Mac Mini and had no issues. I recently asked him. Steve Kale, I believe is using the HDMI on the motherboard. If it is a hardware issue, you can get a fanless GPU like Steve Bruzonsky is using. The newer AMD GPU is the R9 series. Google, AMD R9 fanless and the results will reveal a couple of options.

Actually, I don't know if it would happen with v430 since I did the upgrade at the same time getting the PC set up. Turns out (see below) the problem is with Intel and Windows 8.1 (which I upgraded too - it's bareable with Stardock Start8 which brings back the Window 7 start menu to Window 8), not Theta. Before finding this out I was going to go with a very low power (26 watt) AMD video card if that would have fixed the problem. I'm glad I don't have to as that would have meant 2 PCIe cards (video card plus future USB or Juli@ sound card - not sure which yet) and I plan to get an HD Plex case (once they have silver available) and it can only accomodate a single card. I need to stay within the limits of my 150 watt pico power supply.

Quote:

Yes I am using 4.31. The CB is now communicating EDID properly and I am running multichannel out of the motherboard HDMI slot. I also "see" the CB and the MSD cards of the CB when looking at MadVR settings, for example. Don, what do you see in Playback Devices on the PC as you reboot the CB? I use an ASRock motherboard and dumped my earlier Intel board. It is indeed odd that the PC does not re-engage with the CB when it reboots. It may be a "default setting" sort of issue. I hate Windows with a vengeance and so will never profess to be a PC expert but I suspect that's a good place to start troubleshooting.

Turns out the problem is well documented and acknowledged by Intel:

https://communities.intel.com/message/218663#218663

In part:
Quote:
Greetings everyone!

There have recently been a lot of threads created in regards to losing audio over HDMI connections. This has happened in conjunction with the release of Windows* 8.1, and I have a bit of information that might beneficial to some of you.

There are multiple similar issues/symptoms which I will introduce below;

1. When connected to an AV/Receiver, audio is lost when the system goes to sleep and is woken up, or if the display is not powered on before booting up, or powering the display OR AV/R off. (Reported on Gigabyte*, Intel and ASROCK* motherboards) This issue was tested in house on an Intel board, and was resolved by using the latest driver we provide on our website, and a newer BIOS. Currently we have only received information for this issue as it applies to the 8 Series motherboards (those that natively run our 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors). If you are still experiencing the issue with the latest driver and BIOS for your system, do check with your computer manufacturer (OEM) if they have plans to release a newer BIOS or raise the request for a BIOS update. For 4th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors, the change needed in the BIOS to address this issue needs to contain "RC 1.6.2 (v131.4 or later BIOS)". We currently DO NOT have a similar resolution for the issue as it manifests on 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ Processors, and we are still looking into it.

So far the latest BIOS and latest Intel drivers have not fixed the issue for my Intel board. It looks like from reading other threads both Gigabyte and ASRock have BIOS versions that will fix the issue but Intel has not been able to fix it on all their boards. Mine is an Intel DH87RL micro ATX board with a Haswell CPU. Since you have an ASRock board you must have the BIOS with the 'fix'.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/46092

So my choices are to live with it (it's not too big an issue to reboot the PC), get a video card for HDMI (not desireable) or get a new Gigabyte or ASRock board. I was thinking of getting one of the Gigabyte DAC-Up boards but they dont' make one in the micro ATX form factor. Another thread claims to have successfuly solved the issue with an older Intel driver. Intel has removed the older driver from their site but I managed to find a copy on line. I'll try that and then see what direction I go.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/46737?start=15&tstart=0

Hopefully by posting all this here someone else may benefit from it if they are having a similar issue.

post #476 of 840 Old 03-19-2014, 03:26 PM

Also, from John Baloff, "We have to reboot the pc here when we shut off the CB3HD here we tested with."

post #477 of 840 Old 03-19-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Also, from John Baloff, "We have to reboot the pc here when we shut off the CB3HD here we tested with."

And I don't have to reboot my PC using my media server and HDMI out via its Sapphire video card. I am happy and will happily live with that!

And I am happy and will happily live with using my theta  Compli Blu 3d for blu rays and not the PC.

post #478 of 840 Old 03-19-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, Steve - I think the right choice for me is to go with seperate audio and video PCs. A smaller chassis, low power, heat pipe cooler Zuma-like one for 2 channel, multichannel, ripped SACDs, etc and a bigger chassis with a bigger (noisier) GPU and PSU for movies which will get me the best out of MadVR. I don't have a seperate video processor.
Hopefully by posting all this here someone else may benefit from it if they are having a similar issue.
My first thought when you posted the problem was whether you were using Windows 8. I actually remember discussing that with someone but can't recall who. The choice of two separate machines may be wise. Recently, I have spent a lot of time investigating water cooling http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454019,00.asp . As best as I can tell you can run a really high-end GPU and water cool it with very low noise, at least that is what I am told. I bought fans to test which are inaudible at 3 feet, but have no experience with the pumps. I want the BEST video I can get. Compromising after investing so much seems unfathomable. I believe I can run madVr at it's highest setting with a water cooled AMD R9 290, even the NNEDI3, http://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?179769-Video-rendering-finally-caught-up-with-high-end-cards-say-Hi-to-NNEDI3!

post #479 of 840 Old 03-19-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Recently, I have spent a lot of time investigating water cooling http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454019,00.asp . As best as I can tell you can run a really high-end GPU and water cool it with very low noise, at least that is what I am told. I bought fans to test which are inaudible at 3 feet, but have no experience with the pumps. I want the BEST video I can get. Compromising after investing so much seems unfathomable. I believe I can run madVr at it's highest setting with a water cooled AMD R9 290, even the NNEDI3, http://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?179769-Video-rendering-finally-caught-up-with-high-end-cards-say-Hi-to-NNEDI3!
Graphics cards seem to really benefit from water cooling - much more than CPUs.
A GPU should basically halve its temperature when you watercool it. (80 to 40 for Nvidia, 95 to 50 for AMD)
However, water cooling is not silent. You have pump noise to deal with, you still need fans (but they can be larger and run at slower speeds) and I am always concerned about leaks - that's just not something I want to deal with.

There are issues with using NNEDI3 on both camps right now. With Nvidia, there seems to be a bug in newer drivers which prevents it from working correctly, so people are stuck with old drivers now. (which can be an issue if you also play games)
With AMD, compute performance is much higher than Nvidia, but there is an issue preventing madVR from using the GPU to its full potential. (it's technical, but basically it has to pass the data between two APIs for it to work, and AMD is extremely slow at doing this)

The new 750Ti from Nvidia seems to have compute performance on-par with similar spec AMD parts now, so compute performance on higher-end 8XX cards later in the year should be competitive with AMD, without the interop problem. (therefore faster overall)
But it's entirely possible that this is something AMD could fix with a driver update.

If you're buying AMD, I don't think you have much choice but to watercool if you want a reasonably quiet system.
With Nvidia, there are options for quieter cards, but it may still be too loud for you.
Tedd likes this.
post #480 of 840 Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Still licking the wounds from my CAPS 3.0 based audio / video all in one box fiasco I am planning my next move as a two box solution. About to pull the trigger on a variant of this http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/fanless-monster-pc.html for video, but with an GTX 750 ti video card cooled with heatpipes. Will use this for video / MCH and have a dedicated machine for 2 channel audio. Both machines will run Dirac. I may go back to single box if I can run audio from the Video / MCH machine without compromise at some point. The journet continues. Taking a big hit on my CAPS 3.0 project. Oh well....
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page