Spec an Audiophile PC With Me Using CAPS 3.0 as a Starting Point, Adding HDMI for Multi-Channel Hi Rez Audio!!! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #721 of 805 Old 05-20-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

Playback will be on my JRiver windows pc. It's the ripping I need to do on my Mac. I just transfer the ripped files to the PC drive when done.so I need to find Mac software that will rip the DTS HD audio from these discs.

Why not rip on the PC? My PC is keyboardless, mouseless and monitorless, but I control it using VNC. I use it for ripping no problem. Hook up a BR drive, buy ANY DVD and you're in business - you can rip Blu Rays in JRiver.
3ll3d00d likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 805 Old 05-20-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is your solution stevekale:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/473-ripping-blu-ray-easy-way/
post #723 of 805 Old 05-20-2014, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by izoard View Post

I have no interest using Bootcamp on my Mac.

Edorr, yes I could with an external BD drive but there are a few programmes out there for backing up BDs (and reading/writing to BD) on a Mac in which case I can leverage an internal drive change on my Mac Pro. At some point I will take another look.

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #724 of 805 Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually, I may have found my answer embedded in the comments below that "tutorial". Thanks!

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #725 of 805 Old 05-21-2014, 03:17 PM

Liked: 10
Good to hear, Chris has some good stuff on his youtube channel as well.

I'm on a PC, so can't help with your Mac limitation - but hope you get it worked out how you want.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ComputerAudiophile
post #726 of 805 Old 05-21-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I would really suggest that you set up VNC on your server and connect to it via your Mac remotely.
The tools for ripping media on OS X are very limited to the software available for Windows.
post #727 of 805 Old 05-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

I have VNC setup. OS-X is fine/better for ever almost everything. Windows sucks beyond imagination. It should be mothballed. With MakeMV and DVD Audio Extractor (both for Mac) it looks like I will be fine with my fantastic-to-use Mac Pro and I will just drop the files to the audio server over my network. There's no need for Passkey with MakeMV.

post #728 of 805 Old 05-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I have VNC setup. OS-X is fine/better for ever almost everything. Windows sucks beyond imagination. It should be mothballed. With MakeMV and DVD Audio Extractor (both for Mac) it looks like I will be fine with my fantastic-to-use Mac Pro and I will just drop the files to the audio server over my network. There's no need for Passkey with MakeMV.

You just made the worse mistake ever, you will regret this moment for the next year !! My mac pro is arriving today or tomorrow, I now know who to PM if i run into problems :P
post #729 of 805 Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Ha! Can you tell I hate Windows? Case in point: I have a favourite toy that has some great new features which you implement by connecting to a Windoze computer and running some software. Windows has to provide/source a simple little driver for the application to be able to see this toy when connected via USB (turns out it needs a USB Serial Converter driver or such like). With a Mac you rarely even have to deal with drivers. Anyway, Windows couldn't find one. Of course, Windows can't tell you what type of driver it needs. A device with a weird name appears in Device Manager and so you know/can guess you have a good connection with your favourite audio toy but the application software can't see the toy. You can see in Windows that no driver is installed for this connected device but you can't tell Windows "look again stupid". You'd think Windows would give you a clue as to what it needed but, no, all you know is that no driver is installed. You examine the package for the application installer and don't see any .inf driver files. Okay, need a driver but no idea what driver. Now, if you unplug the toy and reconnect it you'd think Windows would look again for a driver. No. Basically it gives up. Lazy piece of crapola. Turns out you have to "uninstall" the device (not the application software) in Device Manager (even though you never installed anything and no driver was installed in the first place) in order to 'stimulate' Windows to get off its fat ar$e and search again for a suitable driver. Repeat this a few times and then you might just get lucky. In my case, it took 3 or 4 goes at this and when finally successful it still took more than 20 minutes to find a basic USB Serial Converter/Interface driver via the Internet. Finally your toy is visible to the application but by then it's late at night, time to go to bed and you will have to wait another week for the following weekend to play with the new features of this toy.

That's the world of Windows. Mac world: "what's a driver and why do I need one? Stuff just works!!"

post #730 of 805 Old 05-22-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

.... I now know who to PM if i run into problems :P

Which inevitably you will - Mac or no Mac.
post #731 of 805 Old 05-22-2014, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't even know enough yet to KNOW how much trouble it will be. I eventually want to start up a my rig thread where I document my system update. My current system I bought while I was in high school, a phd later its time to update it smile.gif I hope I can help folks out through my struggle.
post #732 of 805 Old 05-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Works a treat. Many thanks. It makes no sense to rip to a video file if you just want the audio. Now I have a nice disc backup and the audio files on my server (extracted LPCM losslessly compressed as ALAC).

post #733 of 805 Old 05-24-2014, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 46

Hmmm, using Window's software on Apple hardware, and a blu-ray player as well !
That must be a classic case of being between a rock and a hard place.
Thank God for real audiophiles. smile.gif
post #734 of 805 Old 05-25-2014, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

No Windoze software required… rolleyes.gif

post #735 of 805 Old 05-25-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

. I have found a way to rip individual tracks losslessly (audio and video) for DTS-HD, (not Dolby TrueHD). Let me know of you're interested and I can explain how to do it.
Sure I am interested. New stuff is what makes the hobby fun.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #736 of 805 Old 05-26-2014, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

DVD Audio Extractor makes short work of Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio if what you want is audio files.

post #737 of 805 Old 05-26-2014, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

There's a lot of chatter on Computer Audiophile about how the power supply to the data SSD can make a difference. For a laugh I built this precision DC regulator to power my SSD. It has fantastic regulation and noise rejection. I wonder if it will make a difference. I'm sceptical. tongue.gif

post #738 of 805 Old 05-26-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Sure I am interested. New stuff is what makes the hobby fun.

Get the program "handbreak". You need to get an additional dll explained here http://www.howtogeek.com/102886/how-to-decrypt-dvds-with-hardbrake-so-you-can-rip-them/

Select source "folder" and navigate to your Adele rip folder (you can also rip straight from disc). This will load the index information. The set codec to mkv, video to lossless, and select the 5.1 DTS-HD track as source and DTS-HD passthrough as audio source. Next, build a queue with track 01 - 01, track 02 - 02 etc. This will generate individual lossless files, which I find a lot easier to manage in Jriver than having to zap through the whole program to get to a specific track, or create particles. Unfortunately, does not work woth dolby trueHD, but for concert DVDs, I rip the individual tracks in DTS track with passtrough as well.
post #739 of 805 Old 05-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Handbrake

If you want the audio peeled off, do a backup with MakeMV and then use DVD Audio Extractor. I find it easier to do the metadata in XLD.

post #740 of 805 Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Handbrake

If you want the audio peeled off, do a backup with MakeMV and then use DVD Audio Extractor. I find it easier to do the metadata in XLD.

I am using handbreak to extract video/audio tracks from BR and DVD, not peeling off the audio.
post #741 of 805 Old 05-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

I understand. But since you have typically placed greater priority on audio I am telling you how you can get your audio (including Dolby True HD). As an example, I have Live At Radio City by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds which has 5.1 Dolby True HD 96kHz/24 bit. If I want to watch the concert I just play the BD (or I could play a video rip off my server via JRiver). But I have also peeled off the high res audio (in separate tracks) for when I simply want the sound.

post #742 of 805 Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok. I'm finally ready to declare victory. I have on MCH/Video server up and running (endpcnoise fanless monster with lynx card), and one 2 channel server (caps 3 with SotM USB and battery).

The MCH/video server has movie rips (e.g. a directory of "classics", "favourites" and "queue" to watch), concert DVD rips, family videos and all my MCH audio content (SACD and DVD-A rips). I can switch between "The Godfather, 2012 trip to Italy, Adele at Royal Albert Hall, and Beethoven 7th symphony in 5 seconds). You need a certain amount of with so much content at your fingertips - it is a little overwhelming. only thing left to do is tag an index my "preprossed" SACD rips. I organize by composer instead of by performer, so if need to move tracks between folders and rename track names. Bit of work, but very gratifying (as opposed to troubleshooting hardware).

On the hardware side I am now playing with a PS Audio DirectStream, I ordered a Mytek and I will be comparing the option of 3 x Directstream for all channels, MSB for mains and 2 x Mytek (with synchonized masterclock) for other channels, and MSB for mains and 2 x NAD M51 for other channels.
post #743 of 805 Old 05-26-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand. But since you have typically placed greater priority on audio I am telling you how you can get your audio (including Dolby True HD). As an example, I have Live At Radio City by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds which has 5.1 Dolby True HD 96kHz/24 bit. If I want to watch the concert I just play the BD (or I could play a video rip off my server via JRiver). But I have also peeled off the high res audio (in separate tracks) for when I simply want the sound.

Understood. I would just play the video and not turn on my PJ if I want just audio.
post #744 of 805 Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Understood. I would just play the video and not turn on my PJ if I want just audio.

And have a solution for Dolby True HD?

post #745 of 805 Old 05-26-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And have a solution for Dolby True HD?

No I don't. For example the Matthew / Reynolds BR is Dolby True HD and I might end up ripping the audio using your approach. I have to zap through all the tracks to get to the track I want, and I cannot create a playlist.
post #746 of 805 Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No I don't. For example the Matthew / Reynolds BR is Dolby True HD and I might end up ripping the audio using your approach. I have to zap through all the tracks to get to the track I want, and I cannot create a playlist.

Yup

post #747 of 805 Old 05-27-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Get the program "handbreak". You need to get an additional dll explained here http://www.howtogeek.com/102886/how-to-decrypt-dvds-with-hardbrake-so-you-can-rip-them/

Select source "folder" and navigate to your Adele rip folder (you can also rip straight from disc). This will load the index information. The set codec to mkv, video to lossless, and select the 5.1 DTS-HD track as source and DTS-HD passthrough as audio source. Next, build a queue with track 01 - 01, track 02 - 02 etc. This will generate individual lossless files, which I find a lot easier to manage in Jriver than having to zap through the whole program to get to a specific track, or create particles. Unfortunately, does not work woth dolby trueHD, but for concert DVDs, I rip the individual tracks in DTS track with passtrough as well.

Forgot to mention. To manage your individual video track the same as audio tracks, you need to create a custom library view in Jriver, and synch it up with Jremote with webgizmo setting. The standard video views do not work for this purpose. I can explain how to do this if you are having problems.
post #748 of 805 Old 06-01-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

As an example, I have Live At Radio City by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds which has 5.1 Dolby True HD 96kHz/24 bit. .
Not many blu rays with 24/96. Chris Botti in Boston actually has 24/96 @ 7.1. That's the first music concert I have personally encountered.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #749 of 805 Old 06-02-2014, 11:58 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Not many blu rays with 24/96. Chris Botti in Boston actually has 24/96 @ 7.1. That's the first music concert I have personally encountered.

"Baraka" is 24/96. Tom Petty music blu rays are 24/96. There's a Celine Dion concert blu ray that's 24/96. 2L music only blu rays usually have 24/96 and some even 192/24. But yea, not many out there.

post #750 of 805 Old 06-06-2014, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Why not rip on the PC? My PC is keyboardless, mouseless and monitorless, but I control it using VNC. I use it for ripping no problem. Hook up a BR drive, buy ANY DVD and you're in business - you can rip Blu Rays in JRiver.

There are some new scripts around this problem that might be worth a try

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89627
BllDo likes this.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page