Spec an Audiophile PC With Me Using CAPS 3.0 as a Starting Point, Adding HDMI for Multi-Channel Hi Rez Audio!!! - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #841 of 861 Old 05-27-2015, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Over a month ago picked up two used Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DACs, so now have three of them for 5.1 channels, and use a DH Labs Silver Sonic analog balanced splitter from the Theta CB4 SSP to my two JL Audio f212 subwoofers.

Less than two weeks my new Media Server arrived, a CAPSv4 Pipeline as sold by Small Green Computer with an outboard HDPlex linear power supply. Now I use my prior
CAPS3 Zuma (modded with larger case and an added Sapphire/ATI video card for multi-channel audio) only for multi-channel.

On two channel, the CAPSv4 Pipeline is even much better than what I had luved with my CAPS3! Appreciably quieter, one can turn up the volume on the CB4 "higher and higher". Drums, bass, everything simply clearly sounds better. Bottom line is the CAPSv4 has appreciably less power consumption and EMI/noise thus that cleaner background and greater dynamics. I played several recent jazz recordings all in hi rez - "Jazz Funk Soul"; "Hacienda" by Jeff Lorber Fusion; and two albums by David Chesky and the New Harmonic Jazz. Oh - also an old but goodie Billy Cobham album and the improvement in dynamics is beyond what I could have expected. Don't get me wrong - the CAPSv3 has been terrific for stereo - but once one hears the CAPS4 Pipeline, one cannot go backwards!

For two channel now I almost always listen with the CB4 in multi-channel DTS Neo6! I have matching top dog speakers (Aerial 7t), monoblock amps (Theta Prometheus),
and DACs (Theta Gen VIII Series 3) at each channel including subwoofer, and I am finding that the "extra" extrapolated speakers only enhance the otherwise two channel presentation without taking away!!@@@

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 861 Old 05-30-2015, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky
Over a month ago picked up two used Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DACs, so now have three of them for 5.1 channels, and use a DH Labs Silver Sonic analog balanced splitter from the Theta CB4 SSP to my two JL Audio f212 subwoofers. Less than two weeks my new Media Server arrived, a CAPSv4 Pipeline as sold by Small Green Computer with an outboard HDPlex linear power supply. Now I use my prior CAPS3 Zuma (modded with larger case and an added Sapphire/ATI video card for multi-channel audio) only for multi-channel. On two channel, the CAPSv4 Pipeline is even much better than what I had luved with my CAPS3! Appreciably quieter, one can turn up the volume on the CB4 "higher and higher". Drums, bass, everything simply clearly sounds better. Bottom line is the CAPSv4 has appreciably less power consumption and EMI/noise thus that cleaner background and greater dynamics. I played several recent jazz recordings all in hi rez - "Jazz Funk Soul"; "Hacienda" by Jeff Lorber Fusion; and two albums by David Chesky and the New Harmonic Jazz. Oh - also an old but goodie Billy Cobham album and the improvement in dynamics is beyond what I could have expected. Don't get me wrong - the CAPSv3 has been terrific for stereo - but once one hears the CAPS4 Pipeline, one cannot go backwards! For two channel now I almost always listen with the CB4 in multi-channel DTS Neo6! I have matching top dog speakers (Aerial 7t), monoblock amps (Theta Prometheus), and DACs (Theta Gen VIII Series 3) at each channel including subwoofer, and I am finding that the "extra" extrapolated speakers only enhance the otherwise two channel presentation without taking away!!@@@
Yesterday and this AM finished recalibrating audio/speaker levels in my sytem. This is pre-Dirac. Will recalibrate with Dirac in near future.

In the past, I had calculated delays for all of my CBIV audio modes based on speaker & subwoofer distance from the front center row (two rows, front row three leather recliners, back row two leather recliners, with the front center recliner and the back left recliner having “me” or whoever is sitting there right in front of the front center Aerial 7t or right in the center of the front & surround left and right Aerial 7ts). But I have found that I like watching DirecTV at center front, but I like listening to music at the back left. And sometimes I like watching blu ray movies from the back left, too. So I thought – why not setup CBIV modes with calibrating “delay” and “level” for the speakers for both the front center and back left (again, only two recliners in back row, and the left is actually in the center of speakers from left to right)? So I did.

I like to use the start of the blu ray movie “Prometheus” to hear and evaluate bass on my system for movies! WOW! Interesting I found the bass overall not as loud as before. But the bass is deeper, more musical, and so much more REAL! When the spaceship is hovering over the waterfall, I now hear the waterfall like when I visited Niagara Falls some years ago! I’ve always liked the back row for movies, liking the bass I would feel and hear – bass is great in the front row, but even better in the back row. Now that I have made a source setting for the CBIV based on my position at left back row (actually center as discussed above), with the proper speaker delays for that position, I found that the subwoofer speaker level for the back is quite a bit higher than the front, so I lowered the back subwoofer level to about equal the other speakers. And the result in doing this that I can really hear my system in all its glory!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 11-09-2015 at 08:20 AM.
post #843 of 861 Old 11-09-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 40
As promised, some pics of my audio server build.

It has a linear power supply with three super regulators delivering 12V, 5V and 3V3 (and they can supply 5A+ each).

I also designed an ATX power control board. It monitors the supply voltages and coordinates with the motherboard to supply power when the motherboard requests PWR-On. The board has a built-in pre-amplifier for measuring the quality of the super regulators. (100Hz line rejection is exceptional and well greater than 130dB...)

The power supply required an in-rush control circuit.

Motherboard is an ASRock Z97E-ITX with Windows 10 sitting on an M2 card underneath the board. Processor is Haswell 4570T. Sound card is an ESI Juli@ XTe with modified clocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior 1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	1047105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior 2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	1047113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior 3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	1047121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior 4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	1047129   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATX PSU 2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	1047137  

Name:	ATX PSU 1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	1047145   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATX PSU 3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	1047153   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATX PSU Control 1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	1047161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Internal 5.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	654.2 KB
ID:	1047169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Internal 12.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	676.5 KB
ID:	1047177  

CINERAMAX likes this.

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #844 of 861 Old 11-09-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

And some more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Internal 11.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	649.5 KB
ID:	1047193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Internal 1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	1047201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Internal 2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	1047209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Internal 4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	689.5 KB
ID:	1047217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Soft Start.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	1047225  

CINERAMAX and rhale64L7 like this.

post #845 of 861 Old 11-09-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

PS: spot the Theta part!

post #846 of 861 Old 11-09-2015, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Beautiful, super clean and very robust.

David

B&W 802 Diamond's/HTM-2 Diamond ctr/CM6 surrounds / Theta Casablanca IV / Theta Compli Blu 3D / McIntosh MC501 mono-blocks / McIntosh HCA100 / Aurender N10 / Audeze LCD3 / PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator / REL S5 / ClearAudio Innovation TT / MIT Oracle Matrix 50 / audioquest Redwood, Water & Diamond / Audio Magic Silver / XLO Pro / Sony 70" 4K
post #847 of 861 Old 11-09-2015, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
As promised, some pics of my audio server build.

It has a linear power supply with three super regulators delivering 12V, 5V and 3V3 (and they can supply 5A+ each).

I also designed an ATX power control board. It monitors the supply voltages and coordinates with the motherboard to supply power when the motherboard requests PWR-On. The board has a built-in pre-amplifier for measuring the quality of the super regulators. (100Hz line rejection is exceptional and well greater than 130dB...)

The power supply required an in-rush control circuit.

Motherboard is an ASRock Z97E-ITX with Windows 10 sitting on an M2 card underneath the board. Processor is Haswell 4570T. Sound card is an ESI Juli@ XTe with modified clocks.
Nice!

Have you optimized Windows 10 to streamline its running processes to only those necessary for your audio? (Over on Computer Audiophile forum there is a guy who sells an Optimizer for some prior Windows versions and who is currently working on Optimizer software for Windows 10.)

Does your motherboard have HDMI out - and if so, are you using this for multi-channel music?

Are you using JRiver Media Center 21, Roon, or some other music software?

What do you use for your network server? Or you using an external USB driver to store your music software?

I like the M2 cards for your onboard system memory. How much memory?

Nice project! Sure it sounds great!

My home theater at:
post #848 of 861 Old 11-09-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Steve

I had the guy who was head of IT at my previous job tweak Win 10 for me. In his view, "there isn't that much to do with Win 10" but then that could still mean a lot by my or your standards.

Yes the motherboard has HDMI out and I use this for multichannel.

Yes, I use JRiver.

I have a bank of SSDs within the enclosure for storage. See third pic in #844 . For now that's enough for my music collection. I have 300 and something DVDs on a Synology network server but frankly I never watch them. (I have repurchased my core favourites in Blu Ray.)

The M2 card is just 32GB which is more than plenty for the OS, apps and odd file etc that might end up on it.

David - thanks!

post #849 of 861 Old 11-09-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
And some more
Outstanding workmanship!

Were the SM components done by a pick&place machine? If not that's some damn good hand soldering.
post #850 of 861 Old 11-09-2015, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hi Steve

I had the guy who was head of IT at my previous job tweak Win 10 for me. In his view, "there isn't that much to do with Win 10" but then that could still mean a lot by my or your standards.
I've heard that about Windows 10. However, I suspect it is more complex than that, and I believe "Phil" (or is it "Audiophil"?) over at the Computer Audiophile Forum, when he completes beta on his Optimizer for Windows 10, will offer us the very best in this regard. I may update my servers from Windows 8 (optimized by Small Green Computer) to Windows 10 AFTER this new Optimizer for Windows 10 is available!
You may then want to do the same.

My home theater at:
post #851 of 861 Old 11-09-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
Outstanding workmanship!

Were the SM components done by a pick&place machine? If not that's some damn good hand soldering.
Thanks Glimmie. The power rail SMD were all soldered by hand. I did the ATX Power Control board (pic 8 in post 843) with the "skillet" approach. I printed the board actual size onto mylar film with a laser jet printer and cut a stencil. I then spread solder paste onto the board with the stencil and placed the parts. I have a temp-controlled induction hob with a skillet plate. Place the board on the plate and the plate on the hob and wait 'n watch. Works very well. When it came to the power rails however I decided it was just as easy to hand solder them.

post #852 of 861 Old 11-09-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW the front panel button is from Theta. It is a power standby button from the Casablanca. You would not believe how difficult it is to get a very simple brushed aluminium 'button' - it is a small piece of rod with an o-ring on one end (so that it doesn't fall out of the front panel forwards) that sits against a momentary push-to-make SMD switch (on a small printed circuit board with an LED). I couldn't find one anywhere and eventually asked Theta for a couple. The problem is the power-on side of the CB front panel is thicker than this panel's 10mm. I had to get the little rod/button cut to size and a new slot for the o-ring cut in it. The stupid little piece of material that does nothing except give your finger something to push against cost me about $100 in the end.

post #853 of 861 Old 11-09-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep me posted re the Win 10 optimiser. But, I don't think that stuff affects the audio much if anything at all. It does help lower current draw on the power supply though to remove all the background processes going on. I don't spend any time over at Computer Audiophile any more as most people there have next to know knowledge about what they're doing.

Apparently Microsoft revamped WASAPI for Windows 10 with some professional audio consulting help. I am still using ASIO for 2 channel, however.

I must say, this server with my new Xtreme D3 DAC does sound very, very good - to me anyway.

post #854 of 861 Old 11-09-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
And some more
That is awesome work. When are you making mine? Or better yet when r u giving me step by step instructions so I can make my own?
post #855 of 861 Old 11-10-2015, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Ha! Thanks. Happy to share schematics etc with Theta lovers. As with anything audio, the biggest part of the cost (apart from design labour time) is the enclosure (the base enclosure is just the start as you get milked for all the drilling and front panel work), followed by the toroid and main filter caps (if you go "luxe" like I did - likely not necessary). I'm using the power supply design for +/-12V for my headphone amp. I have a couple of spare ATX power control boards (and spare in-rush limiter boards). The biggest issue will likely be sourcing some of the CPU cooling components which I ripped out of a Streacom enclosure. Probably not insurmountable though. It will certainly teach you SMD soldering!

post #856 of 861 Old 11-10-2015, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes that crazy smd soldering. As you know already I dislike it very much.
post #857 of 861 Old 11-10-2015, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Nah! It's easy. You will be surprised. The first time you look at soldering 2mm x 1.25mm you think "OMG!" but then when you do it you think "well that was easy; I can use a smaller part and pack the components in tighter next time". You need a pair of fine-tip tweezers and just use the "tack 'n reflow" approach. If you can stomach his annoying voice, this guy's tutorials are very, very good.

post #858 of 861 Old 11-10-2015, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok and thanx for the video. I will definitely watch
post #859 of 861 Old 04-14-2016, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

EGADS! ROON has just got WAY better in my audio/home theater system!!!@@@

My ROON setup, until tonight, was as follows:

CAPSv4 (Computer Audiophile forum server, version 4), USB out. With Roonserver loaded, designated as my primary music computer for ROON, because ROON would only use the USB out from the primary music server.

iPad Pro with the iPad Pro app for ROON, used as a controller only.

Also a Toshiba laptop, with the full RoonInstaller loaded, but used only as a controller as well.

Tonight, as I started listening to music with ROON, an auto ROON software install came up and loaded. I checked and found out the ROON version is now 1.2. And version 1.2 also has RoonBridge software, which now allows the full RoonInstaller to be installed on a computer remote, that is, from the media server that is outputting the USB music!

Now my ROON setup, as of late last night (Tuesday night) (EXCITING!) is:

CAPSv4 (Computer Audiophile forum server, version 4), USB out. With Roonserver and RoonBridge loaded, designated as a remote computer for ROON.

CAPSv3 Zuma (Computer Audiophile forum server, version 3) (modded a bit). I use this media server only for multi-channel out via HDMI using JRiver Media Center software (as ROON does not at this time do multi-channel audio). But NOW I have loaded the main RoonInstaller, the full ROON program, and I have this computer designated as primary for ROON. ROON’s database is now on this computer. This computer does all the filing, searching, internet connections, audio processing, etc now for ROON and my 2 channel audio – then the audio file goes through my wi-fi network to the CAPSv4 and out its USB. HA!

iPad Pro with the iPad Pro app for ROON, used as a controller only.

Also a Toshiba laptop, with the full RoonInstaller loaded, but used only as a controller as well.

ROON as configured prior to tonight, in my system, sounded better than JRiver Media Center 21, for stereo!

By moving all the PC “work” and “processing” over to the CAPSv3, the sonic improvement is astounding and amazing!!@@@

ROON is a terrific audio playing program for audiophiles and music luvers! Its metadata capabilities alone are reason to use ROON. But its audio quality particularly when you use a separate computer for the ROON processing, etc (as I use the CAPSv3), and use a media server pretty much only to pass on the audio signal (as I use the CAPSv4), is second to none! I am blown away! I wonder how long I will stay up listening to music tonite? Its already 2 AM!

My home theater at:
post #860 of 861 Old Today, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sonore and also Small Green Computer just started sales of their revolutionary new product, the Sonore MicroRendu - A Revolution in Music Server Price & Quality!

Read the review at:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...part-1/Product for sale at Sonore’s website, also at Small Green Computer for a “whole” $640! http://microjukebox.com/products/mic...nt=18223114884

MICRORENDU

• $ 64000

Connect your USB DAC to your network.
The microRendu allows you to play music from many different network music sources on your USB attached DAC.
POWER SUPPLY OPTIONS
iFi iPower Supply - 100-240VAC, 50/60Hz, ~1uV average audio band noise floor, for USA/UK/EU/AUS electrical outlets, with Active Noise Cancellation+

SPECIFICATIONS:
AUDIO
• Supported File Formats: FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, MP3, AAC, OGG, WMA, WMA-L, DSF, DFF
• Native Sampling Rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz and 384kHz
• DSD formats: DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256
• Bit Depths: 16, 24
• SPDIF output supports: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz both in 16 bit and 24 bit
CONNECTIVITY
• Network: Gigabit Ethernet RJ45
• USB: 2 USB ports
• SPDIF: 1 optical SPDIF digital output
• Power: 5VDC input
• Network Protocols: DLNA, , Squeezebox®, Roon RAAT
USER INTERFACE
• Android: App Available Online at Google Play Store - OrangeSqueeze
• iOS: App Available Online at Apple App Store - iPeng
• Roon iOS or Android App
DIMENSIONS:
• 3.5"x2.2"x.7"
• 1 lbs
POWER CONSUMPTION:
• 8 Watts
OPERATING ENVIRONMENT:
• 0° C to 40° C
I just ordered one! For now they are sold out.

I will be using it in my system in place of my CAPSv4 Pipeline, which I will sell. This component will be my RoonBridge, in lieu of the CAPSv4 Pipeline I am using right now for this purpose.My CAPSv3 Zuma will continue to be used for multi-channel audio over HDMI with JRiver Media Center; and also my CAPSv3 Zuma will continue to run the main RoonServer program to interface with internet music info and data and to do the processing/conversion of audio files and then send them via Ethernet to the MicroRendu which will output clean and isolated audio over USB to the rest of my system! I was hopin’ this would come about. Never expected so quick. For now, I will be using the MicroRendu with the external LPS power supply that came with my CAPSv4. Sonore is coming out with a premium LPS power supply particularly for the MicroRendu, which I plan to get once available, which should even give me somewhat improved sonics over my current LPS!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	microRendu_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1419074  

My home theater at:

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; Today at 06:04 PM.
post #861 of 861 Old Today, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm definitely getting to use as a Roon/HQPlayer endpoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

taboola here