Spec an Audiophile PC With Me Using CAPS 3.0 as a Starting Point, Adding HDMI for Multi-Channel Hi Rez Audio!!! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 840 Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Yeah, that ~0.024gbps audio stream is really going to be stressing your 5gbps USB3 ports.

eSATA has very limited adoption. USB works with everything and USB3 is fast enough that the new bus-powered 2.5" external drives I bought are faster than some of my internal 3.5" ones - with two drives working at once.

I have my DAC running off a 5-port USB2 hub, and even when there are multiple devices stressing it, there is no impact on the audio.

Chrono, it is very conceivable there is no audible difference. But architecturally it makes sense not to share USB for data traffic. Since all this stuff works very well and is dirt cheap anyway, why not build the theoretically optimal machine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 840 Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

We run an OWC 2 TB Firewire drive, which we reformatted to Windows, using Audioquest Diamond DBS Firewire and output USB from a SOTM card via Audioquest Diamond to an Aethetix Romulus. The key here is you don't want to push and pull the signal with same protocol. Since most of the best transmission from computer to DAC is via Asynchonous USB, you want to use something else for storage for sure.
While cable may not be too important for data tranfer, it makes a big difference while playing files in real time. We use jRiver too. Norm

Welcome back Norm. I remember you telling me about a year ago avoiding USB for storage. Seems like you're not cutting any corners on cabling either. I have a premium SATA cable inside the Zuma. May be Dr. Pang also sells premium eSATA cables - I leave opportunity to sink more money into this hobby unexploited..... Chromo - shoot me.
post #93 of 840 Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

Chrono, it is very conceivable there is no audible difference. But architecturally it makes sense not to share USB for data traffic. Since all this stuff works very well and is dirt cheap anyway, why not build the theoretically optimal machine?
Adding more components and drivers seems like more potential problems to me. (assuming you use a USB PCI-E card) Until Windows 8 came along with native USB3 support, USB3 was very flaky on a lot of machines.

Most motherboards have more than one USB controller handling data, so you can probably separate them out to be on different ports if you really insist on them not sharing bandwidth. But when audio uses to little bandwidth anyway, it hardly seems worthwhile.
It appears that I may have considerably over-estimated the bandwidth requirements for 24/192 audio as well - I simply went by the fact that 24/96 is the limit for USB Audio Class 1 (which works on USB1.1, and has 12Mb/s bandwidth) and doubled it.
It seems that the bandwidth requirements are actually quite a bit lower, and the reason that USB Audio Class 2 requires USB2 is due to a packet size limitation of USB1.1 - you're really only using 1-2% of the available bandwidth of a USB2 port for audio streaming.
post #94 of 840 Old 06-05-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks, since we are splitting digital hairs here I'll check with Andrew if I should get an USB powered eSATA drive, to keep the battery powered Zuma completely isolated from AC.

Why not get a self-powered eSATA external drive?

http://www.amazon.com/Fantom-Professional-Aluminum-External-GFP4000EU3/dp/B00D0BIRWE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370479404&sr=1-1&keywords=fantom+GFP4000EU3

Fantom Professional 4 TB 7200RPM USB3.0/eSATA Aluminum External Hard Drive with 2 GB free for 6 Months Local and Cloud Backup Software (GFP4000EU3)
Personal Computers
Sold by Amazon.com LLC

I just ordered one! I have lots of music and already am over 3 TB of uncompressed FLAC and ripped SACD ISOs.!!!@@@

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 840 Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Why not get a self-powered eSATA external drive?

http://www.amazon.com/Fantom-Professional-Aluminum-External-GFP4000EU3/dp/B00D0BIRWE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370479404&sr=1-1&keywords=fantom+GFP4000EU3

Fantom Professional 4 TB 7200RPM USB3.0/eSATA Aluminum External Hard Drive with 2 GB free for 6 Months Local and Cloud Backup Software (GFP4000EU3)
Personal Computers
Sold by Amazon.com LLC

I just ordered one! I have lots of music and already am over 3 TB of uncompressed FLAC and ripped SACD ISOs.!!!@@@

I asked Andrew and he strongly suggests stick with NAS and avoid eSATA and USB storage to prevent "electrical noise" from getting into the system. What I will do is so a direct comparison of NAS, internal drive and USB strorage. If either the internal drive or USB storage beats the NAS I will try eSATA storage. If the NAS is equivalent or better, I'll stick with NAS.
post #96 of 840 Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I asked Andrew and he strongly suggests stick with NAS and avoid eSATA and USB storage to prevent "electrical noise" from getting into the system. What I will do is so a direct comparison of NAS, internal drive and USB strorage. If either the internal drive or USB storage beats the NAS I will try eSATA storage. If the NAS is equivalent or better, I'll stick with NAS.

I think I am goin' to be redundant. My audiophile PC will only have a 128 SSD for operating system, etc. I will try both external eSata as well as NAS, use what sounds best, and of course I have a few 3 TB external USBs I can always try for fun!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #97 of 840 Old 06-12-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I've got the 4 GB eSATA/USB 3.0 drive; the PC is being built as we speak - the case has a LCD display screen, but I agreed with Andrew at Small Green Computer's recommendation not to hook up the screen due to the electrical noise it generates; and today I ordered a Berkeley Alpha USB converter, too.

I've loaded not only all my multi-channel FLAC and ripped SACD ISO filed onto the eSATA drive, but also all of the two channel music that I've been playing with my Bryston BDP-1, which I anticipate selling.

Onward to audio glory!smile.gif

post #98 of 840 Old 06-14-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My PC was shipped today.

post #99 of 840 Old 06-14-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The Fantom USB 3.0/eSATA 4TB drive now works with my Dell 8500 now that I've updated the Dell's bias. YEA!
I will be connecting it via eSATA to my new audiophile PC which should arrive by next Thur or Friday!!
The Fantom screams speedwise, with speeds 135 - 150 mbs. WOW! Way beats other USB 3.0 drives that I have.

post #100 of 840 Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

CAPS v3 Zuma - Total Price: $1,547
Case: Streacom FC5WS EVO Price: $272.00 Link
Motherboard: Intel DH77EB / BOXDH77EB Price: $100.00 Link
Processor: Intel Core i7 i3770S Price: $305 Link
Memory: Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 (CT2KIT51264BA160B) Price: $45.00 Link
SSD: MZ-7PD064BW Price: $100.00 Link
Power Supply: picoPSU-150-XT + 102W Adapter Power Kit Price: $76.00 Link
Playback App: JRMC v18 Price: $50.00 Link
Flexible Riser: EXP1-362-10 Price: $34.50 Link
Add-in Card: SOtM tX-USBexp Price: $350 Simple Design
SATA Power Noise Filter: SOtM Price: $65 Link
Cable: Internal USB 3.0 Price: $9.00 Link

Following are deletions, additions, changes to the above for my purposes:

Delete - Case: Streacom FC5WS EVO Price: $272.00 Link
Add – Case: Silverstone Crown Series SST-CW02B-MXR-USB3.0 (black + LCD/IR + multimedia + card reader)
(although case comes with supposedly "quiet" fans, will delete fans from build as components speced so won't run hot enough
to require fans)
Add – Sapphire HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 Ultimate video card (w HDMI out, video card will pass through unaltered hi rez PCM from redbook on up to 192-24 including 176-24, 96-24, 88-24, etc)
Increase memory to 16 GB RAM
Increase SSD to 128 GB SSD

Need to add a asynchronous USB to digital converter to use with Theta CB3 HD and/or Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DAC!

IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS, THOUGHTS, RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE! THANKS!!!@@@

Keep in mind as I demo with my Dell 8500 XPS that it has the following components:

3rd Gen Intel Core i&-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 7770 2 GB GDDR5
Hard Drive 2TB SATA, 7200 RPM, & 32 GB SSD
12 GB SDSR3 SDRAM 1600MHz
I would switch motherboards and not base it on the one CAPS 3.0 uses. I'd use this motherboard since you have a large case, Intel DZ87KLT-75K . Also I would not use the i7 3770S and would opt for the Haswell, I7-4770S or similar of the newest chips. Lastly I would scrap the Sapphire HD 7750 and use the onboard graphics of the Haswell. The reasons? You would gain Thunderbolt support, the iGPU of the Haswell would give you everything you need as you have the Lumagen for the other processing and make the Sapphire redundant. The Intel motherboard supports the sample rates you need like 24/176.4. Sorry, I'm just now saying this but I have just had time to look thoroughly at the Haswell stuff.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #101 of 840 Old 06-15-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

I would switch motherboards and not base it on the one CAPS 3.0 uses. I'd use this motherboard since you have a large case, Intel DZ87KLT-75K . Also I would not use the i7 3770S and would opt for the Haswell, I7-4770S or similar of the newest chips. Lastly I would scrap the Sapphire HD 7750 and use the onboard graphics of the Haswell. The reasons? You would gain Thunderbolt support, the iGPU of the Haswell would give you everything you need as you have the Lumagen for the other processing and make the Sapphire redundant. The Intel motherboard supports the sample rates you need like 24/176.4. Sorry, I'm just now saying this but I have just had time to look thoroughly at the Haswell stuff.

Interesting. Oh well! But my PC is already built and was shipped the other day to me. Sort of hard to change it now!

post #102 of 840 Old 06-15-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. Oh well! But my PC is already built and was shipped the other day to me. Sort of hard to change it now!
Those changes would not really have made much of a difference in your application. It is just some things for others to consider. You don't really need Thunderbolt.

post #103 of 840 Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's my new custom CAPS3.0 "Theta" Plus (what I call it) media server. At the very top is my LCD display showing JRiver Media Center, plugged into the main Intel board HDMI output. Next shelf below is my Theta Compli Blu 3D blu ray player. And next shelf below is the custom media server, with its Sapphire AMD video card HDMI out into my Theta CB3 HD SSI and sounds great - clearly more dynamic, microdynamic, clearer voicing, softer more real playing, than when I demod this using the Dell 8500 XPS, It also has the SOTA USB card which is awaiting the Berkeley Audio USB converter which should arrive in the next 1-3 weeks.

I will be setting up my laptop to remote desktop the media server, and then in the bias I will disable the Intel board HDMI and DVI outs for even less electrical noise and even better sonics!

A real winner!

At the very right of the media server you will see a blu light, which is the external eSata drive 4TB!

post #104 of 840 Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's my new custom CAPS3.0 "Theta" Plus (what I call it) media server. At the very top is my LCD display showing JRiver Media Center, plugged into the main Intel board HDMI output. Next shelf below is my Theta Compli Blu 3D blu ray player. And next shelf below is the custom media server, with its Sapphire AMD video card HDMI out into my Theta CB3 HD SSI and sounds great - clearly more dynamic, microdynamic, clearer voicing, softer more real playing, than when I demod this using the Dell 8500 XPS, It also has the SOTA USB card which is awaiting the Berkeley Audio USB converter which should arrive in the next 1-3 weeks.

I will be setting up my laptop to remote desktop the media server, and then in the bias I will disable the Intel board HDMI and DVI outs for even less electrical noise and even better sonics!

A real winner!

At the very right of the media server you will see a blu light, which is the external eSata drive 4TB!

You should definitely loose the screen. Install TightVNC server on the server, and the VNC client on an IPad and some other PC for remote access. Set up the server for automatic boot and you'll never touch it again. Ripping stuff and installing software like a madman on my spanking new server as we speak.
post #105 of 840 Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have been using JRemote on my iPad!!!

Yes I will be "losing" the screen!!@@@

post #106 of 840 Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #107 of 840 Old 06-26-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You should definitely loose the screen. Install TightVNC server on the server, and the VNC client on an IPad and some other PC for remote access. Set up the server for automatic boot and you'll never touch it again. Ripping stuff and installing software like a madman on my spanking new server as we speak.

Why not just use the Windows Desktop Remote feature which is in both Windows 7 and 8? Whats better about using TightVNC?

post #108 of 840 Old 06-26-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why not just use the Windows Desktop Remote feature which is in both Windows 7 and 8? Whats better about using TightVNC?

Probably nothing for windows only. I also access my Trinnov using this application, which is Linux based. Not sure I could do this with the windows desktop remote.
post #109 of 840 Old 06-26-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

It really is a fantastic app - possibly the best media remote app I have used on any platform, and one of the reasons I use JRiver over anything else.

Glad you're happy with the PC though.
Quote:

Remote Desktop hooks into the system in a different way from VNC, and can stop certain applications from running or behaving properly. VNC is "transparent" and other applications don't know it's running so the PC behaves exactly as if you were sitting in front of it.

I run Jump Desktop on my iPad which supports both Remote Desktop and VNC, and use both from time-to-time, depending on what I am trying to accomplish.

(p.s. BIOS, not bias - and these days it's UEFI)
post #110 of 840 Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For the past two days I've been using Teamviewer, which also is free, and also works for PCs remote desktop and with the iPad!!@@@ I decided to try this app because over at CNET its been downloaded like 20 times more than the next app like this.

post #111 of 840 Old 06-29-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Teamviewer is really working great on my iPad, on which I also use JRemote!!!

Teamviewer is necessary if I want to change any options, etc in the JRiver Media Center menu, or if I want to change libraries!

My new custom audiophile PC sounds much better than my home office's Dell 8500 that I used for a few weeks. In fact, on stereo alone, over HDMI to the CB3 HD,
it sounds better than my Bryston BDP-1 Media Player (which I just took out of rack).

The Berkeley USB Converter that I ordered should be here soon. My stereo will even sound better!

I really like JRiver's synthezing of two channel to 5.1 channel, appreciably better than using DTS Neo 6 or DPL2x via the CB3 HD. I find that I like using the 5.1 expansion all the time and that the recording simply sounds a bit more naturally spatial and dimensional.

post #112 of 840 Old 06-30-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Steve, your case does not have fanless CPU cooling which means you are using some other type of internal fanless CPU cooler. Which one?

post #113 of 840 Old 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really like JRiver's synthezing of two channel to 5.1 channel, appreciably better than using DTS Neo 6 or DPL2x via the CB3 HD. I find that I like using the 5.1 expansion all the time and that the recording simply sounds a bit more naturally spatial and dimensional.

Interesting. Don't recall if you have a 5.x or 7.x system, but have you tried doing channel expansion and bass management in Jriver as well, and compared to the CBIII? Jriver has its own 5.1 to 7.1 expansion algorithm.
post #114 of 840 Old 07-01-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Steve, your case does not have fanless CPU cooling which means you are using some other type of internal fanless CPU cooler. Which one?

Andrew of Small Green Computer advises that the case is large but it's the coolest running system he has ever built, and the no fan CPU cooler we used keeps the processor much cooler then a CPU FAN!!

post #115 of 840 Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Interesting. Don't recall if you have a 5.x or 7.x system, but have you tried doing channel expansion and bass management in Jriver as well, and compared to the CBIII? Jriver has its own 5.1 to 7.1 expansion algorithm.

Actually, I've had JRiver set to output a .1 sub channel, low pass 40 hz, if the main channels have no .1 sub channel, and sounds really good! I have my CB3 HD set at high and low pass of 40 Hz 6 dB. So I have barely begun to experiment on the bass. HA!

My system: 5.1 channel (actually, 5.3 channel. HA!).

post #116 of 840 Old 07-02-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Andrew of Small Green Computer advises that the case is large but it's the coolest running system he has ever built, and the no fan CPU cooler we used keeps the processor much cooler then a CPU FAN!!
I know it's fanless but do you know which one? Silverstone makes this one http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=347&area=en which will cool even the i7 3770k fanless. Maybe that's the one you have? The case you have is the only HTPC case big enough to fit that cooler. Here is a build with a fan that includes the first generation of that cooler, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443442/build-pics-my-i7-2600k-htpc-build-with-silverstone-cw02-case. Your cooler is likely the HE02 and NOT THE ONE PICTURE WHICH IS THE HE01. They two coolers however are about the same size. To cool the i7 3770 CPU fanless, you need a CPU cooler that big . Also the other build has a fan and I AM AWARE YOURS DOES NOT HAVE A FAN. I just posted the thread so others can see the case.

post #117 of 840 Old 07-02-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I really don't understand what you're getting at here.

I forwarded your question to Andrew over at Small Green Computer, and he advised that the question confused him somewhat, but that a cooler like that could well be used for a high power gaming PC.

My understanding is that due to the video card having heat/cool pipes and the CPU not overclocking that measurements support not using the fans that come with my Silverline CW02 case. That's all I know!

I relied on Andrew over at Small Green Computer as they build and sell the CAPS systems.

post #118 of 840 Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This belongs to HTPC forum :-)

First time I am reading that CPU is bare without any cooling. If you open the top cover of your PC you can find out Steve.
post #119 of 840 Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb2012 View Post

This belongs to HTPC forum :-)

First time I am reading that CPU is bare without any cooling. If you open the top cover of your PC you can find out Steve.

Who made you Moderator????

I have a system WELL over $20K and this $3K audiophile PC really rocks. And is of special interest to some of us $20k plusers!

There is another forum on the web, Computer Audiophile, that specs PCs for audiophiles that are quiet and fanless. Which is what this creation is. If you haven't already you might want to read some of the stuff over there.

post #120 of 840 Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Who made you Moderator????.

No one. Is there a problem you have-?confused.gif
Quote:
I have a system WELL over $20K and this $3K audiophile PC really rocks. And is of special interest to some of us $20k plusers!.There is another forum on the web, Computer Audiophile, that specs PCs for audiophiles that are quiet and fanless. Which is what this creation is. If you haven't already you might want to read some of the stuff over there.

Your silverstone case has fans- or there are no fans used? I will contact SmallGreen about this. I am familiar with Zuma but that case streacom had heatsink and as previous poster Bulldogger asked you have indicated it does not use any heatsink or cooling? confused.gif

So you cannot confirm that your CPU is bare or uses some cooling- and you boast of $$ in your system so that makes one golden or not answerable? I think a man of your vast experience and thousands of posts on this forum can show more reasonable reply.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page