Just how close to a home Dome IMAX can I get? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UrbanSmooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Money is no object, but, let's be reasonable.

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

UrbanSmooth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Ash Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TX
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently Launched....

http://www.imaxprivatetheatre.com
Ash Sharma is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UrbanSmooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post

Recently Launched....

http://www.imaxprivatetheatre.com

**Jaw dropped**

I wonder if they can make a home dome IMAX setup, though. It's much more immersive, as it totally engulfs the viewer.

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

UrbanSmooth is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
donaldk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There are plenty of inflatable domes, that could act as a Home Imax style set-up. These are used for travelling planetaria visiting schools, amongst other applications.

Some of the high-end people here have in previous threads noted the limits to the accuracy of and imperfections in the domesurface. This may be addressed by building a fiberglass enforced dome instead.

Current warping software includes multi-projector warping and blending on dome surfaces, this has been demonstrated on multiple occassions at the Integrated Systems Europe show for a number of years now (for instance Canon had a dome to cover its booth last year, using the AVStumpfl Wings Platinum software to adapt the projection image to fit the domeshape surface).
donaldk is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I thought the domes were omnimax???
7channelfreak is online now  
post #6 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UrbanSmooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

There are plenty of inflatable domes, that could act as a Home Imax style set-up. These are used for travelling planetaria visiting schools, amongst other applications.

Some of the high-end people here have in previous threads noted the limits to the accuracy of and imperfections in the domesurface. This may be addressed by building a fiberglass enforced dome instead.

Current warping software includes multi-projector warping and blending on dome surfaces, this has been demonstrated on multiple occassions at the Integrated Systems Europe show for a number of years now (for instance Canon had a dome to cover its booth last year, using the AVStumpfl Wings Platinum software to adapt the projection image to fit the domeshape surface).

Very cool, thank you. Can you point me in the direction of some of these articles/videos so that I can get some ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

I thought the domes were omnimax???

Yes!

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

UrbanSmooth is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 06-01-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
donaldk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Single projector method:
http://paulbourke.net/dome/iDome/
http://paulbourke.net/dome/
http://paulbourke.net/exhibition/domeinstall/
http://paulbourke.net/dome/UnityiDome/

They build their own inflatable dome, prototype dated 2009, no idea if it ever made it to commercial production: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hU5W3CNCJ0.

This is the large Dome Canon has been using at shows: http://www.elementdomes.com/canon-tilted-projection-dome/.
http://www.canon.co.uk/About_Us/Press_Centre/Press_Releases/Business_Solutions_News/1H11/20110201_Canon_projectors_at_ISE.aspx

I have seen these folks from Germany at shows for a few years aswell, camerabased system for autoalignment and warping, Dataton using it with its Staging and presentation software, http://domeprojection.com/neueseite/?page_id=101.

Google for inflatable dome, dome projection and inflatable dome projection. There are many projects online from a small DIY glued together (semi-)dome above some-one's desk to 30 meter full domes.
donaldk is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 06-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Superturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This would be nice, and just under the 20 grand mark, not quite the imax, but prob best your going to get without purchasing an outdoor one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMAGE-HIGH-END-HOME-CINEMA-THEATRE-SCREEN-DENON-4520-5-1-SYSTEM-SONY-BEAMER-/251211719737?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_HomeCinemaSystems&hash=item3a7d62a439

Superturtle is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 06-02-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UrbanSmooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superturtle View Post

This would be nice, and just under the 20 grand mark, not quite the imax, but prob best your going to get without purchasing an outdoor one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMAGE-HIGH-END-HOME-CINEMA-THEATRE-SCREEN-DENON-4520-5-1-SYSTEM-SONY-BEAMER-/251211719737?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_HomeCinemaSystems&hash=item3a7d62a439

Thank you for your input, but, no. Absolutely not.

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

UrbanSmooth is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 06-02-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UrbanSmooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Single projector method:
http://paulbourke.net/dome/iDome/
http://paulbourke.net/dome/
http://paulbourke.net/exhibition/domeinstall/
http://paulbourke.net/dome/UnityiDome/

They build their own inflatable dome, prototype dated 2009, no idea if it ever made it to commercial production: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hU5W3CNCJ0.

This is the large Dome Canon has been using at shows: http://www.elementdomes.com/canon-tilted-projection-dome/.
http://www.canon.co.uk/About_Us/Press_Centre/Press_Releases/Business_Solutions_News/1H11/20110201_Canon_projectors_at_ISE.aspx

I have seen these folks from Germany at shows for a few years aswell, camerabased system for autoalignment and warping, Dataton using it with its Staging and presentation software, http://domeprojection.com/neueseite/?page_id=101.

Google for inflatable dome, dome projection and inflatable dome projection. There are many projects online from a small DIY glued together (semi-)dome above some-one's desk to 30 meter full domes.

Interesting, but, not exactly IMAX quality. Can these even display the 70 mm film format that IMAX flosses with?

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

UrbanSmooth is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
donaldk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
70mm is gone. Of course you could buy a pair of 4K Barco's like IMAX does. Money is no object, but 'reasonable'... There are also truly private fully immersive set-ups, that place a 'ball' around your head, you sit in the circular display, either projection from outside or inside the circular display.
donaldk is offline  
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off