How to replace your home theater pre-pro with a HTPC! - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #271 of 282 Old 11-01-2015, 12:41 PM
PRETERNATURAL IMMERSOPHIL

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
I am very much familiar with that approach as I wrote it I can do that pretty quickly now but it's still hours of work to do it right, would be v happy if you can get uli to create a multichannel version of acourate

absolutely & I hope you succeed!
LOVE YOUR SITE, this is the type of standards lifting we need in a world were cinema mlssa mulitmike methods from 1989 conspire to deprive
us of MAXIMUM Personal Space invasion cinema and fatigue free acourately scaled object sound with max verisimiliditude.

Why don't you plan a trip to florida and witness such system commissioning and maybe help oversee the Marquee de Sade calibration at La Salle's in Sarasota Autumn next year?

That will be the first moon of Jupiter (turnkey IM2025 alcons cinema with 6p laser) CALLISTO or GAYNEMEDE (his choice).

Although THXMAN beat him to the punch with and Immersive Alcons only system (which he heard in auromatic at cedia-including Caspers) PROTEUS, moons of Neptune are audio only.
3ll3d00d likes this.

Sincerely, GC*
rAVe Best ATMOS DEMO CEDIA 2016. HOARDS AWARDS, ACCOLADES, 1ST ART CREDS.,WLD. RECORDS, & HI PERFORMANCE 16-24-32-48 CH. MIDI-PLF CINEMAS WW. - CUSTODIAN HIGH END IMMERSIVE CINEMAS TO SMPTE & ADV. IMAGING SOC. HELP Combat Channel Insufficiency with Altitude 48!*GC = GANGSTA C. genus: cineramus maximus. GC Twitter (Now staging Humanitarian Relief Aide to Great Bel-Air Circuit B-chain & 6P/HDR Projection Famine of 2017)

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 11-01-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 282 Old 11-01-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
LOVE YOUR SITE
the whole site isn't mine, just the content on that page/ tonyhk's site is a mixture of his work & a digest of the acourate yahoo group. V useful to have it all in one place as it's a trove of ideas for sure
post #273 of 282 Old 11-01-2015, 01:02 PM

Understatement of the year!

It certainly has given me renewed enthusiasm and inspiration to forge ahead FULL BORE.

Here is the new immersive audio stuff for our cinemas in 2016:
F-1 class IMMERSIVE CINEMA the new glossary additions for 2016:

1- Alcons Pro ribbon fatigue free controlled-directivity lensing not only of the direct arrival signal but the off axis diffuse signal with minimal off axis response deviation. A feature that yields solid phantom images within an all aes 192 architecture.

2- Acourate Multichannel Phantom Image resolution and xyz precision enhancing calibration method

3-Nevile Thiele 3 second latency crossovers for MAINS.

4- THE CINERAMAX BRAIN: A Cube AV WorkStation created by Walter Fortmuller(the Lion) - Jriver on a heavy dosage of steroids..

Sincerely, GC*
rAVe Best ATMOS DEMO CEDIA 2016. HOARDS AWARDS, ACCOLADES, 1ST ART CREDS.,WLD. RECORDS, & HI PERFORMANCE 16-24-32-48 CH. MIDI-PLF CINEMAS WW. - CUSTODIAN HIGH END IMMERSIVE CINEMAS TO SMPTE & ADV. IMAGING SOC. HELP Combat Channel Insufficiency with Altitude 48!*GC = GANGSTA C. genus: cineramus maximus. GC Twitter (Now staging Humanitarian Relief Aide to Great Bel-Air Circuit B-chain & 6P/HDR Projection Famine of 2017)

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 11-01-2015 at 01:11 PM.

post #274 of 282 Old 11-01-2015, 01:13 PM

So pencil in the jupiter moon high decibel S&M calibration session for next autumn! I promise you will come out of it refreshed as if massaged.

Sincerely, GC*
post #275 of 282 Old 11-01-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Although THXMAN beat him to the punch with and Immersive Alcons only system (which he heard in auromatic at cedia-including Caspers) PROTEUS, moons of Neptune are audio only.
I did not even hear the real demo and I was sold. I would do the 3P Laser too if I could, but the new JVC RS600 is going to have to cut it for now.
post #276 of 282 Old 11-01-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post

would be v happy if you can get uli to create a multichannel version of acourate

I hope you succeed!
What walter said:

[5:22:06 PM] Walter Fortmueller: I have been working with Uli on a MCH friendly version of Acourate for quite some time, project got low priority. But Acourate + special Convolver for routing/mixing of channels is the only DRC UNLIMITED of channel counts.
[5:22:59 PM] Walter Fortmueller: I can do 64, 128 channels,... you name it. It just talks a long time to setup as it is manually/per pedes

I still hold some hope project can be re-booted with good ol american capitalism= preorders!

Thanks sooo much!

Sincerely, GC*
post #277 of 282 Old 01-07-2017, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Hi,

I'm not sure how "dead" this thread is.

I am considering the HTPC as PrePro and my understanding is the person who started this thread gave up on the notion.

The first page of the thread is fairly positive.. the last few pages have lots of posts from CINERAMIX and for one reason or another I can't understand most of what he writes.

I know I generally don't belong in the $20,000 section but my HTPC running JRiver is becoming my only source and I'm on my 5th or so AVR which is getting flaky again ... with those 2 things in mind I am interested in the HTPC as PrePro concept.

As it is ... I'm sort of "there" ... my HTPC decodes all my audio and then does a bit of processing before sending PCM to my AVR. All I need is to send line level signals instead and I can leave the concept of AVR behind in favor of a multi channel AMP.

-Brian
markrubin likes this.
post #278 of 282 Old 01-07-2017, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hi,

I'm not sure how "dead" this thread is.

I am considering the HTPC as PrePro and my understanding is the person who started this thread gave up on the notion.

The first page of the thread is fairly positive.. the last few pages have lots of posts from CINERAMIX and for one reason or another I can't understand most of what he writes.

I know I generally don't belong in the $20,000 section but my HTPC running JRiver is becoming my only source and I'm on my 5th or so AVR which is getting flaky again ... with those 2 things in mind I am interested in the HTPC as PrePro concept.

As it is ... I'm sort of "there" ... my HTPC decodes all my audio and then does a bit of processing before sending PCM to my AVR. All I need is to send line level signals instead and I can leave the concept of AVR behind in favor of a multi channel AMP.

-Brian
I believe the blocking issue was getting the immersive codec's on the HTPC, if you stick to 7.1 Walter and others have been doing that for quite a while.
Brian Hampton and sdrucker like this.
post #279 of 282 Old 01-07-2017, 11:42 AM

At CES pc harwaree solutions should have been shown with powerdvd in uhd hdr atmos, but you will require new boards. Hope this is clear.
sdrucker likes this.

Sincerely, GC*
post #280 of 282 Old 01-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
At CES pc harwaree solutions should have been shown with powerdvd in uhd hdr atmos, but you will require new boards. Hope this is clear.
Microsoft recently announced Xbox One and Windows 10 would get Atmos playback capability but my understanding is that is to just pass through and a receiver will still be needed to decode the Atmos signals and send to the appropriate speakers. So if you want to use Atmos, at least for the foreseeable future, you'll need a receiver involved. With a receiver, your PC essentially becomes a source playback device instead of say a Bluray.

But as mentioned by Lasalle, if you stick to 5.1/7.1 then you can use a computer to send the signals through some sort of sound card or computer preamp straight to an amplifier. I use a Motu preamp (1248 or 24Ao) to send my computer output to my 7 channel amps and powered subs.

I hope CINERAMAX is right and we will "soon" have true Atmos decoding in a PC but I'm not holding my breath on what "soon" is.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #281 of 282 Old 01-07-2017, 06:04 PM

motu and a danish company with gold colored box are the 2 very best for that.

If you want consultation, he will charge a paypal fee, Walter is the best, and can spec out everyhing.

PM The Lion

Sincerely, GC*
post #282 of 282 Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I think to date the biggest problems with HTPC as a pre-pro are:

1) Inability to natively decode Atmos / DTS:X in the PC itself (i.e. it must output bitstream over HDMI for a receiver to decode). Unfortunately, I don't think this changes w/ PowerDVD getting UHD certified.

2) Inability to switch external sources.

The second may not matter if your PC is the source for everything, but if you want your XB1, PS4, Cable/Sat box to get the "HTPC treatment" (e.g. room correction or if you also use the PC for active x-overs) then you need to be able to take in an HDMI source and decode it in the PC. I don't think anything will let you do this with copy-protected signals.

Finally, of the existing HDMI capture cards that will accept unprotected content, do any allow "raw" access to the HDMI stream coming in? For example, when XB1 gets Atmos game support, would these cards allow a PC program to extract the raw Atmos audio bit-stream from the HDMI signal and decode it (assuming there even was a PC-based decoder)? My guess is, no. In fact, my guess is the capture card has a hardware audio decoder built-in and it wouldn't support the Atmos stream and may not even support the HD-Audio stream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page