Datasat RS20i - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I’m a rather odd dealer of super high end gear, I only have 5 clients and don’t take new ones. My current clients are always upgrading to the newest stuff and this keeps me busy full time.

Ive become jaded in this industry over the decades and not much excites me anymore.

Im posting this because I am truly excited about a new device, In fact the most excited ive been in maybe 10 years,,, and i don’t get excited about stuff very often at all. Im posting because many people might not even know it exists and word needs to get out.

There are times when a product and a company progresses so far in one step it takes a long time for the industry to catch up and is used as a measure for other gear. A product sets standards others have to follow. I think the RS20i is one of those products.. The Datasat RS20i surround sound processor. Its the biggest single step in performance I have seen in my industry. Im really excited about it and my clients are just ecstatic. I want everybody who can afford it to go get one. Its that good. NOTHING comes even REMOTELY close..

Im very callous and jaded when it comes to high end audio gear. I dont rave about things, I don't post forum threads about equipment. This device tho is so precedent setting ive felt compelled to post and rave about this device.

I think most of you may know the history of Datasat but I will mention it quickly. Datasat purchased the DTS Cinema division. The DTS Cinema division made a surround processor for theaters, the AP20. David Kersetter was empowered to engineer the best surround processor once Datasat took over. His brilliant design of the DAC's and analog stages along with fully analog power supply and killer HDMI and processing tweaks resulted in the RS20i. It also got a awesome case and has a great touchscreen GUI interface.

I spent 3 1/2 hours with the designer of the RS20i, David Kersetter, at one of my clients homes in the LA area last week. To say this man is brilliant does not do him full justice.

Im going to describe performance. So this should include the systems I have used it on.

Most recent install:
Speakers - Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF
Amps - Ypsilon electronics 100 ultimate
Interconnects - Nordost Valhala 2 and Odin
Power cords - Nordost
BluRay Player - Ayre DX-5

Install from a few weeks back:
Speakers - YG Acoustics Sonja's
Amps - Burmester 911 Mk3
Interconnects - Various but Transparent and Wireworld
BluRay Player - Ayre DX-5

The video of both systems is not important to my post here but both systems have Sim2 Teatro projectors on Screen Research screens and even a Teranex for SD upconversion.

The above systems are fairly state of the art so I had a very good way to evaluate the RS20i

I dont want to talk about what surround processors came out of the the systems. What came out is considered the best SSP's made. In one system we had tried ALL the current high end SSP. We even had a Levinson 40 handy. The Datasat so outperformed every other device on the market nothing else was even in the same category. Im not kidding and im not exaggerating. Not even close. The difference is instantly apparent. Its not subtle, its huge.

The incredible detail, the airy yet gripping presence. The way it was also laid back yet stunningly detailed is in my experience unheard of. Its natural, tight, fast and effortless. Its gripping and very involving. Its musical and emotionally involving. The imaging was like a super high end turntable with tube gear. Which both these clients also have. The dynamics were jaw dropping. In U571 ( DTS ) the depth charge scene you clearly hear tiny drops of water dripping inside the sub, with echo and direction and crazy precise imaging. The other processors you cant even hear the drops. Then the depth charges go off and the bass is so visceral tight and authoritive ive NEVER experienced bass so tight and clean in my life. Hotel California from the DTS demo disc is just remarkable. Musical and lifelike, effortless and detailed. So much detail I was shocked. Django Unchained DTSHD-MA was unreal. Truly hard to describe how good it was. The Matrix had such precision imaging it was actually startling. I found myself going back and listening to stuff again. I had not actually heard imaging so precise from any source. The Datasat natural neutral presence and yet vivid and remarkable detail combined with startling dynamic accuracy was, for me, a never before experience. Multichannel music in 96/24 5.1 was insane. Baraka was, well, mesmerizing.

Its performance is so far beyond any other device its completely in a class by itself. In fact I was sure even with the totally state of the art systems we were not reaching the level of the RS20i. I think it has even more to offer then I have heard yet. It was so insanely good it has me posting on the forum. Something ive never done about a product.

Its room correction is not normal. Its not just level calibration. Its precision acoustical alignment. The analog to digital converter for the calibration mic is 192/24 !. It uses Dirac and so it also does time alignment. It allows you to do as many measurements as you want and store these in files you can recall at will while listening. You can set target curves. You draw what response you want it to do for each channel and it will EQ it. You can store everything in a unlimited number of settings and recal at will. The results are remarkable. You can choose from default target curves like a theater X Curve. EVERYONE who buys one of these MUST buy the Dirac kit.

Frequency response correction. Target = Flat.

Left.gif

The datasat is Linux. Its incredibly stable unlike many other surround processors. It has a GUI color touchscreen you most likely wont use much as it has a iPad VNC interface. You can also control it from a iPhone or iPod touch. Its configuration capabilities are just remarkable. Do you need 16 analog output channels ? All balanced ? no problem. 16 SPDIF inputs ? No prob. It had 4 HDMI **1.4B** inputs. Thats 1.4B folks,, for high end thats awesome. So it can DECODE surround from players rather then taking in multichannel PCM over HDMI.. I might add that for some reason having the Datasat do the decoding was WAY better then letting the player do it and send out multichannel PCM.

Its a Linux box and as such can be accessed remotely as needed. Datasat has stunning good support and can address issues by connecting to the unit remotely and diagnosing the issue and even do some tweaks to firmware. You can control it completely remotely. As a dealer I love the box because i can remotely manage it and update it without going to the clients house. The training is awesome from Datasat. Im not sure if Datasat would do it but I think any technically savvy owner might want to get training as its really great.

The remarkable flexibility that comes from it being based on Linux is very handy. Its more like a surround computing platform. It has a near limitless set of configuration options. Datasat LOVES hearing about ways it can tweak the unit and actually implements suggestions quite quickly.

All this tech comes from the AP20 used in theaters. In theaters you cant have a device lock up or fail. At all. Ever. Over years. Its just got to work. And the RS20i does just that. It just always works. Also as its really the DTS guys who made it, it really knows how to do movies.

DirecTV... Its un f*** believable. I would have never in my life believed I could get audiophile audio from DirecTV, but you can. Even poor quality sources sound remarkable.

Its ability to do low low volume is breathtaking. Even at almost zero volume it retains all its detail and audio attributes. Ive never heard a surround processor do that before.

There are many other aspects of this device I could rave about, but i will stop now as i have gushed enough over this. you should find a dealer and go get one. Make sure you get a competent dealer who has been certified by Datasat who can do the Dirac correctly, its just magic when dialed in.

One additional thing I should mention. Cable. Every cable made a difference so make sure to use good cable. I clearly heard differences in HDMI cables, which for me put to rest any debate that HDMI cable make a difference in audio. They do. Even the power cable made a difference on this device I attribute this to the power supply being analog which i think is nearly unheard of for a surround processor. Keep all your analog runs short like you would for a 2 channel audio rig.
911turbojk likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thx for your insights Chris - I am a very lucky owner of the RS20i and am loving it and one day hope to have a pro do the Dirac calibration to replace my own inadequate attempts. I have a standing offer to such pros of free accomdation and sight seeing tours in Melbourne!
post #3 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

smile.gif Well.... I might make a exception to my not taking on new clients if I got to visit Australia ! The reason i dont take on new clients is because I need to provide lots of quality time for the ones I have and its already a full time occupation. I simply cant take on new clients and still provide the level of service that I do now.

Its not too hard to do Dirac. I have spent a lot of time doing a lot of testing and research doing this. I have a technique and understanding of the technology that i can share here. If the client is technically savvy I think its really good to learn how to do it..

I could share what i do when doing Dirac. I think one of the most things I have found is how to do a single listening spot. A sweetspot. You have to measure in 3D. You figure out a single point where your head is and then work out a sphere in space based on this point. You then use a boom mic and carefully measure at least 15 points equally spaced around the perimiter of this sphere. I think this produces the best results for a sweetspot. I usually create 3 target curves for that set of measurements. Flat, X Curve for the center and a X Curve for all the speakers up front. I remove the low pass and high pass filters for most of the channels. I leave the low pass for the sub and move it to 80hz. I then do a second set of measurements across the entire seated area making sure to cover the area in 3D measurements. Lots and lots of measurements. Then apply the same 3 target curves to these.. I end up with 6 Dirac files that can be picked as needed for the source material.

Dirac will calculate a target curve for each channel. I dont follow that. My flat curve I have to make the curve flat as the target. For my 2nd and 3rd files I apply a X Curve for small rooms to the center only and leave the others flat and I create a third curve that has the X Curve applied to all channels up front.

I find I dont prefer the levels as all even, so each system has to be tuned by ear some too. I use a variety of discs i know well. Hotel California from the DTS demo disc, U571 and from a DTS demo disc and various others. I know how they should sound.

I have suggested a number of additions to the automation protocol and the ability to choose these Dirac curves. This is VERY handy from Crestron making it easy to choose these from single buttons in Crestron run on a ipad.

One thing i have noticed is that the Datasat burns in. For sure let it run for DAYS and maybe weeks and it will sound even better.

Of course replacing the breakout cable with a good one is critical. Transparent, Wireworld and Nordost can all make these breakout cables.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Appreciate these additional insights Chris - gives me something to experiment with when I run Dirac again soon due to some minor repositioning I have done with the speakers in my front stage.
post #5 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dirac is really pretty easy. Of course choosing target curves and doing levels is subjective and there is no single solution.

The single point solution seems best for my clients. I had discussions with Dirac about this. Measuring on a sphere centered on a single point is the best way to focus the system to a single listening position. The other key thing I feel is using a good mic cable as this seems to produce better and more focused imaging for some reason.

Im going to play more with the RS20i over time on these systems and im very intent on learning even better ways to allow it to perform better. I want to really master this device. The last time I said that was with a CRT projector I made and a Teranex smile.gif

You gotta try different HDMI cables. They actually make a difference in sound quality, as does the power cable. You really got to treat the RS20i like you would a crazy high end 2 channel preamp.

It was really great having David Kersetter over last week to talk and listen to his creation on some super high end gear. Ive had a few guys from Datasat over and I will be back out there again in 2 weeks and more Datsat guys have said they want to come visit and listen. David's design of the DAC's and analog stages is just remarkable. Not to mention some tweaks he did to the HDMI board. Using a analog power supply was awesome as well. Listening to him describe how EMI from a switching supply ALWAYS transfers thru the metal bits to everything else was very interesting. A lot of our very geeky engineering discussion was just awesome fun and VERY interesting. Im a engineer and he told me a few things I had never heard of doing. Im talking about never in the industry. The RS20i has some truly remarkable things going on inside.it. Its gonna be a long time before anyone catches up with this processor.

Ive had a relationship with DTS going way way back. I supplied the gear and setup in the DTS rooms at CES back during the heyday of DTS and have good friends who worked there. Its been great fun hanging out with these guys again after all these years. Amazing how things work out sometimes.Im also glad that DTS was finally acquired by Datasat that has really done great things and brought in R&D money to give us the RS20i. It sure would be funny if we ended up doing a CES room like we used to 10 years ago. That sure would be fun.

post #6 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Excellent review Chirs, I'm glad you like the RS20i - I can't disagree with anything you have put there!

Regarding upgrading the DB25 breakout cables, do you have any links to alternatives. I'm in the UK, and the alternatives are non-existent as far as I can tell from a Google search..

- Gareth
post #7 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Contact your local dealers for Wireworld, Transparent or Nordost. They all make custom cables for it. Ive had discussion with the VP of sales for all those companies and they all make various grades of this cable in custom lenghts and connectors. You wont find any good cables "stock" they have to make it for you.

Actually its a very common cable for pro studio work so almost any cable company can make one up custom for you.

What you really want if you want to do it right is a custom cable with custom lenghts made to reach your amps directly. Make all 3 front channel cables the same lenght. That keeps the sonic characteristics the same for all these channels.

Nordost is working on a crazy good high end custom made cable just for the Datasat.

One of the super important things with this processor is to preserve the quality of its output so keep your wires as short as possible. This is true of course for all the wires in the system as well. This processor is truly extremely good, so to get the most out of it keep your wires short.

post #8 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Stephens View Post

Contact your local dealers for Wireworld, Transparent or Nordost. They all make custom cables for it. Ive had discussion with the VP of sales for all those companies and they all make various grades of this cable in custom lenghts and connectors. You wont find any good cables "stock" they have to make it for you.

Actually its a very common cable for pro studio work so almost any cable company can make one up custom for you.

What you really want if you want to do it right is a custom cable with custom lenghts made to reach your amps directly. Make all 3 front channel cables the same lenght. That keeps the sonic characteristics the same for all these channels.

Nordost is working on a crazy good high end custom made cable just for the Datasat.

One of the super important things with this processor is to preserve the quality of its output so keep your wires as short as possible. This is true of course for all the wires in the system as well. This processor is truly extremely good, so to get the most out of it keep your wires short.

Thanks Chris (sorry called you Stephen for some reason in my prior post!), I will check with Wireworld (not a great fan of Nordost - or their prices).
post #9 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Heheh, no prob...

Well whoever makes your current wiring can most likely make you a custom cable. You should match up what your current cables are to any breakout cable. A phone call or email to your wire company should do the trick.

Everyone has preferences in wire. I think some wire mfgrs also work better with different gear. Im actually not sure who makes the best HDMI cables yet for audio. Wireworld and Audioquest make some good ones but there may be others. HDMI audio performance is a fairly new subject for me and the Datasat has made difference very obvious for the first time for me.

post #10 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:

Heheh, no prob...

Well whoever makes your current wiring can most likely make you a custom cable. You should match up what your current cables are to any breakout cable. A phone call or email to your wire company should do the trick.

Everyone has preferences in wire. I think some wire mfgrs also work better with different gear. Im actually not sure who makes the best HDMI cables yet for audio. Wireworld and Audioquest make some good ones but there may be others. HDMI audio performance is a fairly new subject for me and the Datasat has made difference very obvious for the first time for me.

I tend to make my own interconnects for the most part, certainly on the analogue side, however just the thought of soldering into a DB25 connector gives me a headache! eek.gif
post #11 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavies09031977 View Post

I tend to make my own interconnects for the most part, certainly on the analogue side, however just the thought of soldering into a DB25 connector gives me a headache! eek.gif

Yea.. Me too. Its not so much the soldering, its somehow getting all the BIG wires of a good cable to somehow be sturdy and look good on the DB25. Yea I considered getting some good XLR cables and cutting off one end and soldering, but I decided the cable pros would do a far better job then I and the prices were reasonable.

I was thinking it might be better to say put the L/C/R/S on one DB25 and the Rears/sides on a second DB25 and plug both in then just reassign channels. Get some use from the 9-16 outputs. Easier then trying to put 8 big wires into one DB25 shell.

post #12 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Yea.. Me too. Its not so much the soldering, its somehow getting all the BIG wires of a good cable to somehow be sturdy and look good on the DB25. Yea I considered getting some good XLR cables and cutting off one end and soldering, but I decided the cable pros would do a far better job then I and the prices were reasonable.

I was thinking it might be better to say put the L/C/R/S on one DB25 and the Rears/sides on a second DB25 and plug both in then just reassign channels. Get some use from the 9-16 outputs. Easier then trying to put 8 big wires into one DB25 shell.

Well I have bought a couple of DB25 plugs as I want to create a single AES/EBU XLR to DB25 in order to connect a music streamer via its digital AES/EBU port to the digitalinput on the RS20i, so I have that to do, but looking at the back of the DB25 connector, the solder pots are so close together I wouldn't fancy having to connect up all of them!

I see what you are thinking on using both output ports on the RS20i, but bear in mind that we should hopefully see Auro3D being released on it this year, and Dolby PLIIz and DTS Neo:X are already on it as a result of the new dolby card. Personally I will be (I am currently refurbishing my cinema room) using 11 channels for main speakers and two for two subs, and Auro3D will add at least another three height channels to that, so that's all 16 channels used, and that's without the ability to bi-amp any channels and use the RS20i as an active crossover!! Luckily a new card with an additional 8 channels is on its way! cool.gif
post #13 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Excellent review. And as another proud owner of one of these beasts I wholeheartedly agree.

I was going to ask you about one point that I am sure I read earlier about you being able to get the second auto part of Dirac, the delays and spl levels section to work. Can not find that now, perhaps I was imagining it. Lol. As from my understanding that part of the Dirac process has never worked?

Do you know when Dirac will be moving to full 192/24 support? As ATM I believe it's limited to 96/24.

Also, I think you need to change the part of the review where you state it has 16 spdif inputs. It only has one, but has 8 pairs of AES/EBU inputs.

Now Datasat just need to build in an I2s input and AUsb input along with an RF remote function and it would be absolutely perfect.
post #14 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well I have bought a couple of DB25 plugs as I want to create a single AES/EBU XLR to DB25 in order to connect a music streamer via its digital AES/EBU port to the digitalinput on the RS20i, so I have that to do, but looking at the back of the DB25 connector, the solder pots are so close together I wouldn't fancy having to connect up all of them!

I see what you are thinking on using both output ports on the RS20i, but bear in mind that we should hopefully see Auro3D being released on it this year, and Dolby PLIIz and DTS Neo:X are already on it as a result of the new dolby card. Personally I will be (I am currently refurbishing my cinema room) using 11 channels for main speakers and two for two subs, and Auro3D will add at least another three height channels to that, so that's all 16 channels used, and that's without the ability to bi-amp any channels and use the RS20i as an active crossover!! Luckily a new card with an additional 8 channels is on its way! cool.gif

wow... your hardcore ! yea 11 channels is pretty extreme, I like it.

You can hook to RS20i together smile.gif

Yea i needed a AES/EBU XLR input on the last system I worked on. Luckily with Datasat down the street it gave Mike Smith a good excuse to drop by and deliver it personally and of course listen. Yes soldering one XLR would be easy, doing 8 would make me crazy. One thing if you do a AES/EBU input,, on config you gotta press the digital 1-16 button until it says 1,2 or you will not get the decoder in the path so you wont be able to decode DD / DTS.

post #15 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post

Do you know when Dirac will be moving to full 192/24 support? As ATM I believe it's limited to 96/24.

Soon hopefully, I hate the thought of my nice 192/24 hi-res downloads being down sampled!! mad.gif
Quote:

Now Datasat just need to build in an I2s input and AUsb input along with an RF remote function and it would be absolutely perfect.

Ditto all of those Nick, plus DSD decoding for SACD. The I2's connector is a new one on me - a quick read of the MSB website, and it sounds good!

- Gareth
post #16 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:

wow... your hardcore ! yea 11 channels is pretty extreme, I like it.

There are others that have more than me! Nick (djnickuk) being one.
Quote:

You can hook to RS20i together smile.gif

Now that I couldn't afford!

Quote:

Yea i needed a AES/EBU XLR input on the last system I worked on. Luckily with Datasat down the street it gave Mike Smith a good excuse to drop by and deliver it personally and of course listen. Yes soldering one XLR would be easy, doing 8 would make me crazy. One thing if you do a AES/EBU input,, on config you gotta press the digital 1-16 button until it says 1,2 or you will not get the decoder in the path so you wont be able to decode DD / DTS.

Thanks for the tip, I will bear that in mind when it comes times to test it out. I will only be using it for two channel audio though, which should be passed as PCM.
post #17 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Excellent review. And as another proud owner of one of these beasts I wholeheartedly agree.

I was going to ask you about one point that I am sure I read earlier about you being able to get the second auto part of Dirac, the delays and spl levels section to work. Can not find that now, perhaps I was imagining it. Lol. As from my understanding that part of the Dirac process has never worked?

Also, I think you need to change the part of the review where you state it has 16 spdif inputs. It only has one, but has 8 pairs of AES/EBU inputs.

I dont use the delay or SPL sections. Best to set levels manually I figure.

Yes i think that David said its doing 96/24. But man-o-man im great with what its doing smile.gif No I have not asked what the plan is for 192/24.

Hmmm... I thought you could turn a AES/EBU input into a S/PDIF easily ? Its just a wiring difference I think ?

A iPad mini can be had for pretty cheap these days and it makes for a killer wifi remote.

Just to be crazy I might like DSD support over HDMI hehehe...

post #18 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, DSD for SACD would be great. But I remember reading somewhere, whether true or not, one can not apply room correction to a DSD stream?

And DataSat could incorporate an HDMI (I2S) and USB input in to any future HDMI board. Or better yet an expansion card which has streaming inputs, keep it all in one box.
post #19 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 AM

You should check out the thread on the UK forum Chris, if you haven't already:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/audio-processors-power-amps/1625856-datasat-rs20i-processor.html

I'm Wookii on there!
post #20 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Yes, DSD for SACD would be great. But I remember reading somewhere, whether true or not, one can not apply room correction to a DSD stream?

And DataSat could incorporate an HDMI (I2S) and USB input in to any future HDMI board. Or better yet an expansion card which has streaming inputs, keep it all in one box.

Surely the various codecs get decoded before being split into channels and having Dirac applied, before being passed to the DAC's?
post #21 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

There are others that have more than me! Nick (djnickuk) being one.

Wow. Dirac must take forever to do like 15 measurements.

And who knows,,, at some point Dolby Atmos might appear biggrin.gif Then you guys can go crazy with speakers.

My prob is im a purist and I feel every channel should sound the same, so I gotta use the same speaker/amp for every channel. Dangling a Wilson XLF from the ceiling would not only require one hell of a ceiling but could flat squash someone if it fell.

I donno... With imaging as good as this system can do, im not sure you need this many speakers. Im actually still good with 5.1 or 7.1 to match the source. Just call me old school.

post #22 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Well yes you can use a small length spdif to aes/ebu cable but if you need a longer length then there will be voltage and impedance mis match. You'll get digi lock problems.

Ad whilst I love using vnc for using the Datasat from my ipad I just love having a hard remote on hand for very quick volume adjustments. I know I could achieve this using rs232 and a controller, something along the lines of RTI. but it would be super nice if on the next expansion card they incorporate an RF input for remote. Quite a few people feel this way.

But all that aside. I am constantly gob smacked by this bit of kit. TiVo sounds awesome. As does using pl2z for music. Ill have all my neo x wides and heights up and running soon and like Gareth I'm installing all my auro heights as we speak.

Oh you mention Baraka. Have you tried Samsara. Even better IMO. And in Neo x with heights it's mind blowingl
post #23 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Hehe, I'm nervous with hanging my 46kg directors voice channel over head. It's tied into as many joists as possible. Lol
post #24 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hehe, I'm nervous with hanging my 46kg directors voice channel over head. It's tied into as many joists as possible. Lol

The Voice Of God channel might fall on you. hehehehe...
Quote:
Well yes you can use a small length spdif to aes/ebu cable but if you need a longer length then there will be voltage and impedance mis match. You'll get digi lock problems.

Well see so my description is ok, you could hook up a bunch of SPDIF smile.gif Bah voltage and impedance are over rated smile.gif
Quote:
Ad whilst I love using vnc for using the Datasat from my ipad I just love having a hard remote on hand for very quick volume adjustments. I know I could achieve this using rs232 and a controller, something along the lines of RTI. but it would be super nice if on the next expansion card they incorporate an RF input for remote. Quite a few people feel this way.

Well all my systems already had crestron, so it was really easy to provide a good instantly available set of custom controls. There is even a handheld MLX-3 that works great. Just like it had a RF remote. Just get a Crestron MC3 and you can do Crestron like crazy.
Quote:
Samsara. Even better IMO. And in Neo x with heights it's mind blowingl

Hmmm... No I have not tried Samsara. Interesting...

I just dont know about all those channels. I donno, the height channel sounds, so, i donno, strange. But you have a good point. Im going to start into development of a new room for a client this year and we really need to incorporate the ability to do Dolby Atmos as im sure thats coming to home use.

post #25 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:

I just dont know about all those channels. I donno, the height channel sounds, so, i donno, strange. But you have a good point. Im going to start into development of a new room for a client this year and we really need to incorporate the ability to do Dolby Atmos as im sure thats coming to home use.

As I say Chris, Auro3D will be coming to the RS20i long before Atmos does, and if Atmos does gets released to the home market its likely to benefit from a similar speakers configuration (despite being object based rather than channel based). The forthcoming Star Wars films are apparently going to be mixed in Auro3D, so they could well be one of the first block busters to see dedicated Auro3D mixes included on the blu-ray's too!
post #26 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Nick, I think you will find that you cant have 8 AES/EBU inputs, the reason you can’t go to any but the first input pair (1,2) and (9,10) is that you need a master clock for all inputs but it is only connected to the first pair. The decoder is only selected for these two inputs.
It is also possible to use these inputs, with just a cable config change, for SPDIF even though SPDIF has a different input signal level. I have cleared this with Datasat engineering.

PS I have asked for all the dig inputs to be clocked which would require a hardware and software change.
post #27 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedes View Post

Nick, I think you will find that you cant have 8 AES/EBU inputs, the reason you can’t go to any but the first input pair (1,2) and (9,10) is that you need a master clock for all inputs but it is only connected to the first pair. The decoder is only selected for these two inputs.
It is also possible to use these inputs, with just a cable config change, for SPDIF even though SPDIF has a different input signal level. I have cleared this with Datasat engineering.

PS I have asked for all the dig inputs to be clocked which would require a hardware and software change.

Yes I remember you mentioning this before, so when you say first pair, do you mean you can only have a total of 4 or 8 usable inputs across both db25 connectors. Ie, could I connect a moded oppo using 8 spdifs or will I be limited to just four channels. I am thinking of adding an external dac to the front 2 channels and do not want to get down sampled from HDMI source so wanted to go the modded oppo route.

I does make me wonder why on earth they include these 16 aes inputs if only a few are usable. Strange.
post #28 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Yes I remember you mentioning this before, so when you say first pair, do you mean you can only have a total of 4 or 8 usable inputs across both db25 connectors. Ie, could I connect a moded oppo using 8 spdifs or will I be limited to just four channels. I am thinking of adding an external dac to the front 2 channels and do not want to get down sampled from HDMI source so wanted to go the modded oppo route.

I does make me wonder why on earth they include these 16 aes inputs if only a few are usable. Strange.

Nick, my understanding was that all 16 digital input channels can be used, but only the first two on each set of 8 are tied to the master clock, so you are effectively limited to two digital input sources. One of those can be a multichannel source, thereby using say 8 channels, but what you can't have would be four seperate stereo sources each using a pair of the those 8 channels since only the first one is connected to the clock.

As for the down sampling, it was my understanding that this is performed irrespective of the input used as Dirac processes at 96KHz. I don't know if that still happen with no Dirac, or Dirac turned off though, I had assumed it was?

- Gareth
post #29 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Oh cool on the aes ebu inputs. That means I could run 8 chan in from modded blu ray and then on the other db25 run from say the nad m50 or perhaps the new krell streamer offering!

And the downsampling I refer to is not that of Dirac but that of using an HDMI input from an hdcp blu ray. All HDMI sources with hdcp have to downsample to 44/16 if the processor is outputting digital.

So if you were to run a 96/24 blu ray into the HDMI of the Datasat its digi outs would be downsampled to 44/16. But if you run that same blu ray via aes/ebu in then there would be no downsampling.
post #30 of 75 Old 06-12-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Looking at this picture of the Certified Auro-3D Home Theater at Stassen Hifi's Palazzo, I'm (also) concerned about the relationship of VOG speaker height and seating area width that is needed to avoid the overhead sound "appearing to emanate from overhead-left or overhead-right" (overhead-front vs overhead-back effects might be apparent too...) Is that likely to be an issue?

In any event, my own 'low ceiling' would likely suggest using a 'mono array' of 2|3|4 smaller speakers distributed above the seating area...?! cool.gif
_

[
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
Ayre Dx 5 Blu Ray Player , U 571 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - U by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page